A question about the fit of the quantum suit

I was wondering something about the quantum suit. The suit seems to be an amazing fit, that hugs the upper body extremely well. Is the button placement a little higher than on a normal suit? So that the top (or middle on 3-roll-2) button is closer to the skinniest/narrowest part of the torso? Also, are the armpits cut higher up?

Sorry about the lingo, as much as I try to read about suiting, I'm still learning.

I ask about this because I'm trying to find a suit that fits as well (or at least close to) the Tom Ford suit from Quantum of Solace, because that silhouette is fantastic. I'm strongly considering the Magnoli Quantum suit, but I'm weary about getting a mail order suit without trying it on first. So if I do, I want to make sure I can give pretty specific instructions, because I have long legs and an average to slightly shorter than average torso.

Comments

• maxximusmaxximus The U.S.Posts: 173MI6 Agent
    I ordered the Quantum Suit from Magnoli.(actually the pic on the website is mine) I am six foot six and the the fit of the suit feels true. However, it was not perfect the first time through. I would highly recommend that you get your measurements taken by a tailor and explain the exact fit you want the suit to have. That should allow the suit to fit perfect the first time. otherwise your in store for a pricy tailoring charge.
    As far as button placement and armpit cut i would have to look at it again, but i would say magnoli gets the look right. you might emphasize that when placing the order??
    and ordering from magnoli has been a treat. he is a pleasure to work with and will take the time to answer the countless amounts of questions that you may have.
    also, i read that your from Missouri. which part? if your close i could just show you the suit in person? if you have any other questions post them here and i will be happy to answer them.
  • skyboyskyboy Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    Maxximus,
    I'm planning on ordering the same suit. I've never had a custom suit made before, and like BuckMcNaked, I want the same silhouette as DC.
    I know next to nothing about suits, so what exactly did you say to the tailor you had gone to, for the proper measurements?
    Thanks,
    Josh
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    I got my Quamtum suit from Magnoli yesterday, and having used his measurement guidance from the site I have a very fitted suit.

Im not sure it makes me DC shape, but its fits my shape very well. :))
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Sme pics of it coming straight out of the packet, and straight on, so its creased and still looks goods. Mirror was bit dirty too. :#

Its Midnight blue with the hand stitched lapels in the cotton mix.

img3700t.th.jpg

img3701c.th.jpg

img3705c.th.jpg

img3693.th.jpg

img3695c.th.jpg

img3696c.th.jpg

img3697c.th.jpg

img3698c.th.jpg
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    Hot damn that looks terrific! The silhouette is clearly there! (particularly pic #4 and 6)
    Yes, I'm sure there is a technical term, but the bumflap at the back works, rather than a single split.

Its got to be made to measure, or better, from here on in. ;)
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    I know what you mean! After my first suit from Indy, everything else just feels like a bad fit. I just plunked down for a pair of navy pants (Goldeneye) from him made to the same measurements.
    To get the DC style or cut, you will likely have to have some alterations done after you receive it. There usually is always a small tweek here or there.
    ExpatJB your suit looks sharp. If you want a more suppressed waist have a tailor pull it in, otherwise if your happy with the cut and fit of the suit why change it? And your absolutely right MTM suits just look and feel better than anything OTR ever will. Though every now and then one can be lucky and find a suit in a store and have a good tailor give you the look you want.
  • BuckMcNakedBuckMcNaked Missouri, USAPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    Is it just me or do the shoulders of Daniel Craig's suit have a bit of an upturn to them, like other italian suits?
    maxximus wrote:
    To get the DC style or cut, you will likely have to have some alterations done after you receive it. There usually is always a small tweek here or there.
    ExpatJB your suit looks sharp. If you want a more suppressed waist have a tailor pull it in, otherwise if your happy with the cut and fit of the suit why change it? And your absolutely right MTM suits just look and feel better than anything OTR ever will. Though every now and then one can be lucky and find a suit in a store and have a good tailor give you the look you want.
    Its off getting pressed after its journey from the Far East, but Im happy with it I think. Definately up to my expectations, and then beyond a bit.

MTM is the future! Well, until you get one tailored I bet. :)) More money!
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Great suit! Nice midnight blue color. Was that the actual color of DC's in QOS? It looks black on the Blu Ray.
    Great suit! Nice midnight blue color. Was that the actual color of DC's in QOS? It looks black on the Blu Ray.
    Agreed it does, and to my eye this suit also does, until you lay it next to something black. Its then you realise its very dark blue/black.

Indy Magnoli confirmed its the right colour for the Greene party in QoS.

Plus I figured it being blue/black it would work for day and night and avoid the whole 'Shouldnt wear black during the day discussion, except for funeral and other formal events'.

Thats my logic anyway. :)
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Agreed it does, and to my eye this suit also does, until you lay it next to something black. Its then you realise its very dark blue/black.

Indy Magnoli confirmed its the right colour for the Greene party in QoS.

Plus I figured it being blue/black it would work for day and night and avoid the whole 'Shouldnt wear black during the day discussion, except for funeral and other formal events'.

Thats my logic anyway. :)
    Great, thanks for answering my question!
    Great, thanks for answering my question!

No problem. I didnt post the photos in order to show off my Kays catalogue poses, but because I had the same questions as everyone else before I ordered. :) :))

When something is good, I do like to acknowledge that. Magnoli have been very good! ;)
    That's great to hear, since i'm ordering mine very soon! I just need to find time to see the tailor about my measurements.
    The shoulders are roped thus giving them an "upturn". It's a small detail but one that does go very well for the DC suit
  • BuckMcNakedBuckMcNaked Missouri, USAPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    maxximus wrote:
    The shoulders are roped thus giving them an "upturn". It's a small detail but one that does go very well for the DC suit

Is that a standard feature of Magnoli's QOS suit?
  • richi717richi717 Posts: 124MI6 Agent
    no you would have to request it.
    Just some feedback on the Magnoli suit. I was in Nick Lopez tailors and bespoke suitmaker in Houston (I'm told he is the best and most well known tailor here, he seemed great).

I was getting him to adjust some (7 of Mankind) jeans and an off the peg suit, and I also took in my Magnoli Quantum suit to get his opinion on the fit.

He was very complimentary about the Magnoli suit and advised no changes whatsoever, as they had gotten a very good line through the back, etc, etc, and how if you can get good results like that with 'made to measure' they are as good as anything.

Thats all good to hear. ;) I dont know him, so take it for what it is, but it sounded like an honest opinion given its more in his interest to do something to the suit, and tell me how much better it would be getting a suit made by him.
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    edited December 2009
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Just some feedback on the Magnoli suit. I was in Nick Lopez tailors and bespoke suitmaker in Houston (I'm told he is the best and most well known tailor here, he seemed great).

I was getting him to adjust some (7 of Mankind) jeans and an off the peg suit, and I also took in my Magnoli Quantum suit to get his opinion on the fit.

He was very complimentary about the Magnoli suit and advised no changes whatsoever, as they had gotten a very good line through the back, etc, etc, and how if you can get good results like that with 'made to measure' they are as good as anything.

Thats all good to hear. ;) I dont know him, so take it for what it is, but it sounded like an honest opinion given its more in his interest to do something to the suit, and tell me how much better it would be getting a suit made by him.

The suit looks great.

I can recommend the Y-3 jacket, I wish the 7 For All Mankind jeans would fit me :#
  • RoikinsRoikins San Francisco, CAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:

img3700t.th.jpg

img3701c.th.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if Magnoli is using the same person I've used in the past to have suits made based on those internal details. Here's the inside of a suit I had made:

img6202w.jpg

img6179.jpg
    Roikins wrote:
    Interesting. I wonder if Magnoli is using the same person I've used in the past to have suits made based on those internal details. Here's the inside of a suit I had made:

Could be. If you ask Indy for swatches they come printed with information from Ravis Tailors, and www.mysuitshop.com . So it seems likely they build for him, to his spec.