Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,432Chief of Staff

As my teenage son said on hearing Paul Anka do the same song (for real), "this is what evil sounds like"!

Hey Marker, I'm also a big Sinatra fan👍. Saw him perform in person 30-odd years ago, a fabulous experience burned into my memory.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 135MI6 Agent

I'm familiar with the Paul Anka 'swingified' versions of contemporary songs. I didn't get the opportunity to see OBL live, I bet it was a fantastic night.

WRT you son, unless 'evil' is some kind of youth saying which means great, are you absolutely sure he's yours? I'd be demanding a DNA test!

For those who don't know what we're speaking about, here's Paul anka's version of 'Wonderwall'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4e0RtIz9zk

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

Oh, he's mine all right. Pictures of me at his age (he's heading for 30 now) look just like him, except that my hair's curly and his isn't.

Like I said, that evening is burned into my memory. The orchestra started, the announcer said "And now, ladies and gentlemen, Frank Sinatra" and out he walked looking no more than 50 (74 at the time). He nodded at us, picked up the mic, and "Come FLY with me" burst out of the speakers. I was prepared for an old voice, taking it easy. Not a bit of it- his voice was big, powerful, creamy (an odd word, I know) and 20,000 people all thought the same thing: he can't be THAT good! But he was.

The only thing I'd comment on, and it is most certainly not a criticism, is that after a hard song he'd do an easier one to get his breath back. And quite right.

I only saw him on stage via the TV. I think there's an episode from an old 'roasting' series where he gets made fun of (to his face) by the likes of Don Rickles.

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,899MI6 Agent

I didn’t see Frank live either, undeniably a legend and right up there amongst the superstars of the 20th century. I actually preferred him as an actor - is that heresy to say that?

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,042MI6 Agent

not when two of his films are Man with the Golden Arm and the Manchurian Candidate.

his best records are the ones he recorded for Capitol in the 50s. The Sinatra songs most people know are from later in his career, when he got a bit more bombastic. so if you think you dont like Sinatra because you dont like My Way and New York New York, try some of those 50s albums. Theres a 3cd set called The Capitol Years that made me a convert

That's a good set, filled with both well known songs and rarities. His younger years are well covered by "The Best Of The Columbia Years"

which is available quite cheaply and would do the job for any sane person. One would have to be really silly to buy "The Complete Columbia Years" box, really silly.

(And that's only scratching the surface. There's always more)

Frank always accompanies me on my travels across the UK and continental Europe.

I did see the chap who played the singer from 'The Godfather' (his name escapes me) live many years ago. His character was based on OBL.

I found a clip of Don Rickles roasting Frank. The old codgers like me will recognise the other 'panellists'. It's not the one I was thinking of though but I've posted it anyway.

With regard to his films, I saw 'Von Ryan's Express' a few weeks ago. It also features Brad Dexter, who was a regular in Sinatra's films after he rescued Frank from drowning. I believe OBL made it a condition that Dexter was given a role in every movie he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-KeTNU-ods

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,042MI6 Agent

@Barbel good to see you finding lots of silly ways to spend your money

I've got a lot of them on vinyl, thanks to my mum who gave me her teenage record collection a few years back. including most of Frank's early 10inch LPs for Capitol and Columbia! thats some historically significant LPs! there was also a lot of Nat Cole, Billie, Ella, and other good stuff from that era in her collection.

now I just gotta find a new turntable...

Barbel, have I ever told you about the "Caractacus Potts Fund for Buying Silly Canadians a New Turntable"? its may be a bit sillier than your used to, but its for a good cause

Thanks for the suggestion, cp, I'll give it some thought.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,138MI6 Agent
    edited August 4

Getting medieval on Kim Kardashian's ass! (AI)

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,822MI6 Agent

Such lovely cheeks. If only they were brains.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

So true. Of course Ving Rhames is linked to that quote than anyone .....

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,822MI6 Agent

Kojak in the 17th Century?

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I does look imposing, that's for certain.

Yes, it reminds me of Blofeld in the suit of armour in the YOLT novel.

edited August 8

Tonight was very nice. I flew in a single-prop plane over my favourite fjord and even right above my house. The pilot was a priest in full attire and the passengers were a Polish girl and myself. 😀

Marvelous, will you be doing it again?

I don't think so. It was a one- time offer from someone at work.

You live in a beautiful location, N24.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,382Chief of Staff

That’s does look stunning, N24 😀

YNWA 97

Thanks. But we had to wait until 20.30 to get safe flying weather and it was raining some of the time. I can barely see the mountains on the other side of the fjord because of the fog and rain now. That's the other side of the coin.

It reminds me of a damper version of Phuket. Stunning scenery, N24.

edited August 10

The plan was to go to the town of Ålesund or the Hjørundfjord .... fjord, but we couldn't go there because of the weather. I can't really complain that we went to see my home fjord even though I've seen it from the air before. But Hjørundfjord is a world-class location:

Norwegian cities/towns generally aren't much to look at, but Ålesund is one of the exceptions:

This is where I’m headed, but your place has more mountainous regions, N24 😃

This last one is where Bond stays in the book Brokenclaw 🙂

YNWA 97
    edited August 10

Very nice! I think Canada is overdue as a location for a Bond film, but my favourite Canadian location would be a snowmobile chase in a city in winter!

edited August 10

Anyone who thinks the female athletes in beach volleyball are a tad overdressed? 😆 This is from the current Olympics:

I’m certain all of us have features of outstanding natural beauty on our doorstep…and my pics certainly don’t do the island justice 🤗

YNWA 97

Sorry, I have to ask what island it is ......