Last film seen...

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    Sorry to hear you were a little disappointed Lexi, but in regard to the two issues you mentioned...
    The Joker was not released, he escaped amid the chaos that followed the explosion he set off using the explosives he had surgically inserted into that man in the holding cell.

As for Rachel, if you think about it her death had massive ramifications in the film. It basically pushed Harvey over the edge and was a major factor in his transformation into Two-Face. His final confrontation with Gordon and Batman even takes place amid the rubble and debris of the building she died in.

And Rachel's death also galvanizes Bruce Wayne into accepting his role as Batman as he clearly feels a sense of guilt and responsibility for what happened. He also thinks she was going to wait for him even though we know she'd actually chosen Harvey. Alfred even destroys the letter she left for Bruce because he knows the contents would crush him if he ever found out.

Dark Knight isn't a particularly "fun" film. And it is so dense in plot (you could make the argument that it is too dense) that it almost demands a second viewing as you can easily miss things in a movie that long and with so many threads. I had a lot of the same reservations as you after my first screening. Seeing it again a second time increased my enjoyment significantly since I already knew the broad strokes and could focus on the details more. Although even a die-hard Batfan like myself doesn't think the film is perfect; far from it in fact as I still really don't like the way it ends.

Still, if the whole superhero genre has piqued your curiosity but Batman isn't your cup of tea, I'd recommend you check out Iron Man - a smart, hip, very cool, and above all else "fun" superhero movie. I can almost guarantee Robert Downey Jr. will make you forget about Spiderman in about 5 minutes.

Oh, and one more thing: real superheros don't cry. :v
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    Lexi wrote:
    I'm now renouncing my love for the Bat, and thinking that I made a big mistake....Spidey, I do love you! (Dan, ;% if I beg for your forgiveness, will you take me back?)
    As Renee Zellweger said in Jerry Maguire you had me at 'hello', or in this case at 'Spidey, I do love you!' :D Lexi, my love, :x of course I forgive you as you are still a superhero virgin, but please do not toy with my emotions like this again. :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    I can almost guarantee Robert Downey Jr. will make you forget about Spiderman in about 5 minutes.
    NOOO! Lexi, don't listen to him! :D Iron Man is terrific, but it will NOT make you forget about Spidey! :D :D
    TonyDP wrote:
    Just keep tellig yourselves that Tony; :v but your argument is a little shaky since Iron Man and Bats, unlike Spidey, are not really superheroes. :p :))

Back onto topic, I recently rewatched The Conformist. A political psychological thriller from Bernardo Bertolucci, it is extremely confusing, enormously ambigourous, yet absolutely extraordinary. {[] It has a real dreamlike quality, is brilliantly acted, writted, shot and directed and is also quite fascinating. :D I'm not the world's biggest fan of Bertolucci (I think he reached his peak early on in his career and it has been downhill since), but I really loved this film, and in fact, probably more so the second time around. I would definitely recommend it. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Sorry to hear you were a little disappointed Lexi, but in regard to the two issues you mentioned...
    The Joker was not released, he escaped amid the chaos that followed the explosion he set off using the explosives he had surgically inserted into that man in the holding cell.

As for Rachel, if you think about it her death had massive ramifications in the film. It basically pushed Harvey over the edge and was a major factor in his transformation into Two-Face. His final confrontation with Gordon and Batman even takes place amid the rubble and debris of the building she died in.

And Rachel's death also galvanizes Bruce Wayne into accepting his role as Batman as he clearly feels a sense of guilt and responsibility for what happened. He also thinks she was going to wait for him even though we know she'd actually chosen Harvey. Alfred even destroys the letter she left for Bruce because he knows the contents would crush him if he ever found out.

I think you miss my point. I understand everything that you have said, about why Dent did what he did, but the
    Total lack of grieving, or rather, us not seeing the greiving that BM must have done over her death..(I mean come on, the whole of BB was about how affected he was over his parents...)that it just didn't seem to match up.
    I like seeing a bit of tortured soul...and this was completley lacking..even at the end, when he had to shoulder the responsibilty of being the person everyone needed to hate.

I would really like to think I could watch this movie again...but it was so dark, and quite brutal, I don't know if I will.
    Tony DP wrote:
    Still, if the whole superhero genre has piqued your curiosity but Batman isn't your cup of tea, I'd recommend you check out Iron Man - a smart, hip, very cool, and above all else "fun" superhero movie. I can almost guarantee Robert Downey Jr. will make you forget about Spiderman in about 5 minutes.

Yes, I probably will see this, as it's on my husbands wish list to see...but I'm not renouncing my love for Spidey too quickly this time, I have learn't from my mistakes! :D
    Tony DP wrote:

Well it makes them more of one if they do!
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    edited August 2008
    Lexi wrote:
    Tony DP wrote:

Well it makes them more of one if they do!

You really need a better superhero mentor than Dan, I don't think he's ever even read a comic book in his entire life. :))

As for my last film seen...

Silence of the Lambs
    This was on EncoreHD a few days ago and after watching Red Dragon, I thought I'd check it out again to see if I'd derive any greater enjoyment.

Anthony Hopkins is just incredible. Everytime he's on screen you just can't help but give him your undivided attention; pretty amazing considering that most of the time he's just standing there talking while perfectly still.

As for the rest of the movie...meh. Buffalo Bill is just laughable to me, not at all frightening or menacing. I break out into uncontrolled laughter everytime I hear that "Put the f*****g lotion in the basket" line. Jodie Foster's fake southern accent is just that: fake and unconvincing. Even Scott Glenn, one of my favorite supporting actors, can't do anything with his role.

If somebody other than Hopkins had played Lecter I really think this film would have gone the way of Manhunter.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Back onto topic, I recently rewatched The Conformist. A political psychological thriller from Bernardo Bertolucci, it is extremely confusing, enormously ambigourous, yet absolutely extraordinary. {[] It has a real dreamlike quality, is brilliantly acted, writted, shot and directed and is also quite fascinating. :D I'm not the world's biggest fan of Bertolucci (I think he reached his peak early on in his career and it has been downhill since), but I really loved this film, and in fact, probably more so the second time around. I would definitely recommend it. :D

Wait a minute, did I just read Dan Same write something I actually agree with? Nice to see you know at least one good movie when you see it Dan. :v

In Like Flint

Never actually seen this before. It was fun, but forgettable. The girls were pretty, and Coburn was cool.
    edited August 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    Wait a minute, did I just read Dan Same write something I actually agree with? Nice to see you know at least one good movie when you see it Dan. :v
    :o Yes, it seems that we finally do agree on something, cinematically speaking. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I'll hop on The Conformist bandwagon, heckuva film.

Lexi, stick to your Spidey guns, but give the Iron dude a try? You may find him more to your liking than the dark, dark Bat (I did). Plus I'd even recommend The Incredible Hulk as a chaser, it surprised the bejeepers outta me - in a good way.
    blueman wrote:
    Lexi, stick to your Spidey guns, but give the Iron dude a try? You may find him more to your liking than the dark, dark Bat (I did). Plus I'd even recommend The Incredible Hulk as a chaser, it surprised the bejeepers outta me - in a good way.

Thanks Blueman, I will. These are 2 movies that are on my "to watch" list...and no doubt you will see my review shortly ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    C.R.O.W.S Zero

Another film from cult director Miike Takashi, this time set in a school where you get to the top of the class by being the best fighter. It’s as stylish and crazy as you expect from Miike, but once again he’s made a film that’s half an hour too long.

Japanese cinema has always had its mavericks. I’ve just seen some old genre films from the 60’s and 70’s and I swear Tarantino must have at least two of them in his DVD collection.

Blind Beast is a disturbing little story about a blind sculptor who kidnaps a top model with the aid of his wife. It’s quite arty, and one sequence where the model is placed upon a giant nude sculpture is astonishing. But the last twenty minutes get really nasty and it turns into one of those films where a crime of passion is supposed to be romantic. But I’m quite a cold person, so I was left baffled, and thinking what on earth did you do that for?

The other two belong to a genre that became known as Pink cinema, Japanese films from the 70’s that amplified the nudity and violence to set them apart from the popularity of television. Essentially they are the Eastern equivalent of the exploitation films that Tarantino and Rodriguez tried to ape in Grindhouse. Both star the same actress, Miki Sugimoto, who has more screen presence than a dozen Uma Thurman's.

Sukeban Gerira aka Girl Boss Guerilla sees Miki and her all-female biker gang battling the Yakuza. It’s entertaining, but pales in comparison to Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs, which is one of the craziest films I’ve seen. The opening 5 minutes feature Miki dancing in a club that looks like something out of Austin Powers, then picking up a German diplomat, whom she knows is guilty of some horrific crimes against women, then killing him while she is naked, by shooting him in the groin and strangling him with her flying red handcuffs. Mad, but brilliant. She’s thrown in jail for this, but when a brutal gang kidnap a rich man’s daughter she’s sent in to get her back. The art direction is stunning and the music is as good as anything you’d get in the Euro exploitation films of the 60’s and 70’s. I’m going to have to start buying these CD’s, and finding more films that star this charismatic actress.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Wonder what they'll think of next...Plastic Man perhaps lol ;)

Death Wish 2 3/6

To be honest after hearing so much about this series I was bit underwhelmed : wasn't terrible but wasn't great either.....
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,422MI6 Agent
    JD you little flick teaser!

All those DVDs are Region 1! We can't watch them over in Europe! :(
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    JD you little flick teaser!

All those DVDs are Region 1! We can't watch them over in Europe! :(

Sorry NP. Didn't mean to float your boat. :D Region free DVD players are easy to come by on the internet. Failing that you can look for the code to unlock your player online. I did this, and can watch any region DVD's without any hassle.

Anyway, what I have recently been watching. I'm quite taken with the actress Felicia Day, who appeared in Joss Whedon's Dr Horrible's Sing-a-Long-a-Blog and was one of the slayerettes in Season 7 of Buffy. She's written an internet series called The Guild about online gamers. It's pretty funny, and Day is geekily cute. The entire series can be found on Youtube. Here's the first episode.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=grCTXGW3sxQ
    TonyDP wrote:
    Silence of the Lambs
    This was on EncoreHD a few days ago and after watching Red Dragon, I thought I'd check it out again to see if I'd derive any greater enjoyment.

Anthony Hopkins is just incredible. Everytime he's on screen you just can't help but give him your undivided attention; pretty amazing considering that most of the time he's just standing there talking while perfectly still.

As for the rest of the movie...meh. Buffalo Bill is just laughable to me, not at all frightening or menacing. I break out into uncontrolled laughter everytime I hear that "Put the f*****g lotion in the basket" line. Jodie Foster's fake southern accent is just that: fake and unconvincing. Even Scott Glenn, one of my favorite supporting actors, can't do anything with his role.

If somebody other than Hopkins had played Lecter I really think this film would have gone the way of Manhunter.
    I tried to ignore this, but after remembering how you would stalk my Spider-Man posts, I decided that ignoring was not an option. X-( Buffalo Bill not scary? Jodie Foster anything but brilliant? Scott Glenn not great? The Silence of the Lambs not a magnificent film, with or without Hopkins's extraordinary performance? :o

Tony, Tony, Tony, Tony; you really must enjoy stabbing knives into my heart. :'( (I would question whether you can actualy appreciate good cinema, but after reading your posts on Total Recall, Terminator 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and now The Silence of the Lambs, I think the answer is pretty self-evident. :v)
    Dan Same wrote:
    Total Recall, Terminator 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and now The Silence of the Lambs,

You know Dan, one of those films is not overrated. Can you guess which one it is? :v
    Dan Same wrote:
    Tony, Tony, Tony, Tony; you really must enjoy stabbing knives into my heart. :'( (I would question whether you can actualy appreciate good cinema, but after reading your posts on Total Recall, Terminator 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and now The Silence of the Lambs, I think the answer is pretty self-evident. :v)

Funny you should mention this Dan as Silence was on again last night and I decided to check it out again. Scott Glenn is a fantastic actor (he really steals every scene he's in in Hunt for Red October) And Jodie has major acting chops (and she's cute as a button) but they just didn't do anything for me in this one. And for my money, Ralph Fiennes' Francis Doralhyde from Red Dragon is a far more menacing and memorable character than Buffalo Bill.

What can I say, I have somewhat unconventional tastes - but you knew that already. :))
    edited August 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Total Recall, Terminator 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and now The Silence of the Lambs,
    You know Dan, one of those films is not overrated. Can you guess which one it is? :v
    Well, I don't think any of these films are overrated; if anything they are underrated. :D However, I am perfectly (and painfully :#) aware that Silence is the most popular of these films on this board. :))

TonyDP wrote:
    Funny you should mention this Dan as Silence was on again last night and I decided to check it out again. Scott Glenn is a fantastic actor (he really steals every scene he's in in Hunt for Red October) And Jodie has major acting chops (and she's cute as a button) but they just didn't do anything for me in this one. And for my money, Ralph Fiennes' Francis Doralhyde from Red Dragon is a far more menacing and memorable character than Buffalo Bill.
    Each to his own. ;) Hopefully, you will change your views on this some day. :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    What can I say, I have somewhat unconventional tastes - but you knew that already. :))
    Yes, I knew that. :))
    Dan Same wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Yes, I knew that. :))

And here's another one for you: I really, really wish that the movie Hannibal had ended like the novel, where
    Clarice eats Krendler's brain, gives herself to Lecter and they run off together.
    That would, in my opinion, have been a far more shocking, disturbing and downright genius way of ending their story than what Ridley Scott gave us in the movie.
    TonyDP wrote:
    And here's another one for you: I really, really wish that the movie Hannibal had ended like the novel, where
    Clarice eats Krendler's brain, gives herself to Lecter and they run off together.
    That would, in my opinion, have been a far more shocking, disturbing and downright genius way of ending their story than what Ridley Scott gave us in the movie.
    Actually, that's not so unconventional. Well, prefering the novel's ending may be, but not loving the film isn't.

I adore Ridley Scott; he's one of my all-time favourite directors, and IMO is one of the greatest of all time, but Hannibal doesn't really do it for me. :# Although I don't dislike it, I do think it is by far the weakest of the Hannibal Lector films (apart from Hannibal Rising which I haven't seen and is meant to be horrible.)
    Dan Same wrote:
    I adore Ridley Scott; he's one of my all-time favourite directors, and IMO is one of the greatest of all time, but Hannibal doesn't really do it for me. :# Although I don't dislike it, I do think it is by far the weakest of the Hannibal Lector films (apart from Hannibal Rising which I haven't seen and is meant to be horrible.)

Hannibal Rising is a weak movie based on a weak novel. Thomas Harris said as much and the only reason he even wrote the novel was because Dino DeLaurentiis (who owned the rights to Hannibal Lecter) told Harris outright that he wanted to do another Hannibal movie, and if Harris didn't write the book, he would have just gotten someone else to do it. Out of loyalty to the character Harris gave it his best shot, but in so doing really robbed Lecter of much of his mystery and mystique. All in all, probably better to pretend it doesn't exist.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,422MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Sorry NP. Didn't mean to float your boat. :D Region free DVD players are easy to come by on the internet. Failing that you can look for the code to unlock your player online. I did this, and can watch any region DVD's without any hassle.

I didn't know that. Why doesn't everyone buy region-free DVDs then? ?:) My Dad's an Esther Williams fan but all her films are for the US market. Any DVD players you recommend?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Why doesn't everyone buy region-free DVDs then? ?:) My Dad's an Esther Williams fan but all her films are for the US market. Any DVD players you recommend?

Movie studios really frown on region free DVD players as they like to keep the various markets distinct and separate to maximize their sales.

Before you go out looking for a new DVD player, you can see if your current player can be hacked (usually done thru a series of keypresses on the remote). Here's a site with codes for lots of players; just be aware that you could also get unexpected results:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    edited August 2008
    TonyDP wrote:
    All in all, probably better to pretend it doesn't exist.
    You're undoubtfully right about that. My problem is that I own a copy of the novel, and whilst it is probably really bad, I love Harris and so I won't be able to resist reading the novel. :# Ah, well, I guess I'll read it, and if is especially disappointing, I can mentally erase it from history or something. ;) (Plus, there is nothing that can take away my love of The Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon so in that regard, I have nothing to worry about.)
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    Dan Same wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Silence of the Lambs

I tried to ignore this, but after remembering how you would stalk my Spider-Man posts, I decided that ignoring was not an option. X-( Buffalo Bill not scary? Jodie Foster anything but brilliant? Scott Glenn not great? The Silence of the Lambs not a magnificent film, with or without Hopkins's extraordinary performance? :o

Well ,Tony, this review of yours I concur wholeheartedly. "Meh" is just what I thought too when my ex-girlfriend dragged me to the movies to see this back then.

After a couple more viewings of it, I still don't know what all the fuss is about over this picture. Okay at best and most of that credit goes to Hopkins.

As for Buffalo Bill, well... I cannot listen to "Wild Horses" in the same light again. Laughable indeed. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Well ,Tony, this review of yours I concur wholeheartedly. "Meh" is just what I thought too when my ex-girlfriend dragged me to the movies to see this back then.

After a couple more viewings of it, I still don't know what all the fuss is about over this picture. Okay at best...I guess... ?:)

As for Buffalo Bill, well... I cannot listen to "Wild Horses" in the same light again. Laughable indeed. :))
    Rogue, are you sure you want to start another war with me? :v
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:

"You saying...you wanna piece o' me?"

angryfrank.jpg

"You wanna piece o' me????YOU GOT IT!!!!!"

:)) :)) :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

"You saying...you wanna piece o' me?"

angryfrank.jpg

"You wanna piece o' me????YOU GOT IT!!!!!"

:)) :)) :))
    :)) (I was thinking of responding with a quote from Goodfellas, but I'll utilise that option another time. ;) )
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Guess I'll have to be Tony's wingman on this. Sure, Silence of the Lambs was a good flick, even though some hoity toity "cinema" critics just love to call it a "psychological thriller" after it's oscar award. That snobbery and high falutin notion anything "horror" couldn't possibly have any social significance. And that's what Silence is, it's a damn HORROR film.

Yeah, Hopkins was cool, but then he usually is, but I do think Jodie Foster is nothing short of amazing. She always picks great projects in my opinion. What can I say I like her.

However, they play this one way too much and I will never understand this fascination over Lecter here in the US, this urgent need for prequels and sequels, and what he had for breakfast, how his eggs were done. Was the Chianti to his approval and so forth. It's one above average horror movie, let it stand on it's own for crissake.
    cloverfield.

Well, what can I say? Was I supposed to be on the edge of my seat?...I wasn't, in fact I thought it was pretty cr@p.

Blair Witch project was far superior (although I know it wasn't supposed to be similar, however, the whole way it was filmed, you can't help yourself but compare the two)

It seems I'm not having a great run with movies at the moment, although I did manage a quick sneaky viewing of Casino Royale a few nights ago, and that made me feel a lot better :)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    So, Lexi, did you have to stop the film and take something for your stomach? I did when I watched Cloverfield!

Anyway, this evening I watched The Bucket List. When it first came out it was advertised as sort of a raucous buddy comedy--The Odd Couple Get Cancer or something like that--but it's actually a comedy-drama and a pretty thoughtful meditation on how we shuffle off this mortal coil. There are a few cliched moments (the minute you hear Nicholson's character has an estranged daughter you just know what will happen), but seeing Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman play off each other more than makes up for them.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    although I did manage a quick sneaky viewing of Casino Royale a few nights ago, and that made me feel a lot better :)
    Covert CR, the therapeutic agent. :D

The Ultimate Warrior (1975)

That bleak desolate future, Omega Man meets Soylent Green. This one stars an aging yet still a$$ whooping Yul Brynner in the title role of the fighter

Hired by Max Von Sydow to transport his granddaughter and some seeds (the future of mankind) safely through hostile territory ruled over by big bad William Smith. Yul and Bill's climactic fight scene makes it all worthwhile. Recommended if you enjoy 70's science fiction programming.