Last film seen...

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited April 2009
    As a father, one of the joys of having kids (particularly sons), who are beginning to get a bit older, is that one has the opportunity to enjoy classic films---vicariously, as if for the first time...

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
    I own the classic '60s TV show, in its entirety, on DVD, and Loeff Jr and Loeff III have seen quite a bit of it. So, given that the new picture looms on the horizon, I thought it was time to show them the films. We started with the first, naturally, and they enjoyed it quite a bit---but their criticisms of it mirror those of most: not much action and a leisurely pace, although it all looks very good. I have the Director's Cut, which (unlike pretty much all other director's cuts) is actually shorter with ST: TMP, cutting some extraneous scenes and lengthy effects-heavy passages. I told them how very exciting it had been, back in 1979, to see Trek finally come to the big screen.

Then, since we had the time, we went straight into...

"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"
    This was especially cool for them, because they'd seen the classic TV episode "Space Seed," with Ricardo Montalban---and neither of them had any idea what happens in Act 3 B-) B-) B-)

This one remains the class of the entire franchise thus far---with classic scene-chewing, Melville-quoting villainy by the late great Montalban, and the best performance of Shatner's admittedly limited feature film career. Great story, great action, classic Trek...and the final scene between Kirk and Spock still coaxes a tear from this fan-boy's eye, some twenty-eight years on.

And...at the end, when we see Spock's photon torpedo/coffin sitting in the jungle, on the Genesis planet, Loeff Jr exclaimed: "I knew it!!!"

B-)

Next up: Star Trek III:
    The Search For Spock
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Loeff, I know that it's probably inconvenient, but it would really be helpful if you could put use the spoiler thingy, even if the ending is well known. ;)

Anyway, I recently saw Bottle Shock with the great Allan Rickman. The film is essentially the Rocky of wine films. It's predictable, features all the cliches in the book, but is inspired by a true story. It's not a great film by any means. Truth be told, I would have cut out most of the scenes that didn't involve Rickman. However I would recommend it to anyone who either has an interest in wine, is a fan of Rickman or doesn't like the French. :)) (On the last point, that would be everyone. :v :)) )
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited April 2009
    Dan Same wrote:
    Loeff, I know that it's probably inconvenient, but it would really be helpful if you could put use the spoiler thingy, even if the ending is well known. ;)

Are you kidding??? ?:)

Sheesh...
    edited April 2009
    And...at the end, when we see Spock's photon torpedo/coffin sitting in the jungle, on the Genesis planet, Loeff Jr exclaimed: "I knew it!!!"
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited April 2009
    Sorry Dan, but no. I won't use spoilers on famous films from decades ago. Better watch all the classics---and soon---or I'm gonna spoil 'em for you.
    News flash: Butch and Sundance get killed by the Bolivian army...

Nope. Not gonna do it.
    BTW: Rosebud was Charles Foster Kane's sled.

:D
    edited April 2009
    Sorry Dan, but no. I won't use spoilers on famous films from decades ago.
    News flash: Butch and Sundance get killed by the Bolivian army...

Nope. Not gonna do it.

BTW: Rosebud was Charles Foster Kane's sled.

:D
    Loeff, i don't know why you're acting like this. I asked you politely about something which is a common curtesy, and you're acting like as if it's the world's biggest imposition. 8-)

I have no idea why it's such a big deal, especially when I'm only asking because I want to read your reviews. You, JD, NP and a few other people are the only members whose reviews I'm interested in reading, but if you're going to include spoilers, and I know you probably don't care, I'll have to cross you off that list.

Oh, and one last thing. Citizen Kane and Butch Cassidy may seem like obvous examples of films that everyone has seen, but you can't really judge that. It also may seem funny to you, but this is important to me, and again, I know you probably don't care, but I would appreciate if you would include spoiler warnings. It's surely not that big a deal.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Loeff, i don't know why you're acting like this. I asked you politely about something which is a common courtesy, and you're acting like as if it's the world's biggest imposition. 8-)

I have no idea why it's such a big deal, especially when I'm only asking because I want to read your reviews. You, JD, NP and a few other people are the only members whose reviews I'm interested in reading, but if you're going to include spoilers, and I know you probably don't care, I'll have to cross you off that list.

Oh, and one last thing. Citizen Kane and Butch Cassidy may seem like obvous examples of films that everyone has seen, but you can't really judge that. It also may seem funny to you, but this is important to me, and again, I know you probably don't care, but I would appreciate if you would include spoiler warnings. It's surely not that big a deal.

Well, I used the spoiler thingy on Butch Cassidy, so you've got no complaint there...and if you've never seen Citizen Kane or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, I truly apologize. And I sure don't want to be crossed off your list.

From now on, I will cite the title of the film I'm reviewing...and place my entire review in spoiler brackets. That way, anyone who cares can watch the film first, and then see what I said about it. Fair?
    edited April 2009
    Dan Same wrote:
    Loeff, i don't know why you're acting like this. I asked you politely about something which is a common courtesy, and you're acting like as if it's the world's biggest imposition. 8-)

Well, I used the spoiler thingy on Butch Cassidy, so you've got no complaint there...and if you've never seen Citizen Kane or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, I truly apologize. And I sure don't want to be crossed off your list.

From now on, I will cite the title of the film I'm reviewing...and place my entire review in spoiler brackets. That way, anyone who cares can watch the film first, and then see what I said about it. Fair?
    I've never seen Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Thanks, I very much appreciate that. That isn't such a bad idea. :D

EDIT: I just saw that you have done it. Pretty cool. :D
    edited April 2009
    Better take those nasty spoilers out of your quotes, then...and if you'd gotten through your life thus far without knowing what happens at the end of Trek II, that's amazing (if wildly improbable), and the knowledge that I---alone---ruined it for you will haunt me forever. I can't even reveal the title of the next film, which came out in 1983, as it kinda gives it away...

It'll not happen again. I can't stand it when you throw a rolleyes at me...it's like a dagger through my heart.
    Better take those nasty spoilers out of your quotes, then...and if you'd gotten through your life thus far without knowing what happens at the end of Trek II, that's amazing (if wildly improbable), and the knowledge that I---alone---ruined it for you will haunt me forever. It'll not happen again.

Who knew I had such power?? It's like putting a thermonuclear device into the hands of a monkey :(|)
    :s I just came back and saw this. To think that I thought you were being sincere when you made your offer. Naive of me, I know, but I actually thought you were being genuine. 8-)

Loeff, whether I knew what happened at the end of Trek II is not the point. What is the point is that including spoiler warnings is a common curtesy and is done out of respect for others. Clearly, you don't respect me enough to grant me a perfectly harmless request. Furthermore you can't do it without becoming completely dramatic. The fact that you made this last post proves that you are itching for an argument. Why else would you be so aggressive and hostile? Well, I'm not going to have an argument with you. You can do whatever you want with your reviews. I won't read them anymore and I won't bother communticating to you again on this particular thread. Feel free to do the same with me.
    edited April 2009
    Sorry you feel that way---especially if you think I'm not sincere---but I'll keep the spoilers on my reviews all the same, since I do respect you, although I find you to be irritatingly hypersensitive on this issue.

On the bright side, my all-new, 'all-spoiler' policy will make it that much easier for you to not be exposed to my stuff, even accidentally, so you'll never find out from me what happened at the end of The Ten Commandments. You've gotten exactly what you've asked; I consider the case closed.

Great sense of humour you're sporting there, Dan 8-)
    edited April 2009
    "Star Trek III:
    The Search For Spock"
    ;)
    Directed by Leonard Nimoy, this one is a bit like QoS, IMO, in that it seems a bit too short, and underserves the story a bit. Nevertheless, a very entertaining film that doesn't quite live up to its predecessor (another QoS parallel), although it still delivers a great time at the movies. My sons were excited from the opening scene, a flashback to the key scene at the end of ST:II, but they were slightly disappointed that Kirstie Alley had been replaced by Robin Curtis as Lt. Saavik...

Christopher Lloyd is a blast as the nasty Klingon, and the murder of Kirk's son is probably the big shocker in this film---unless you're a lifelong Trekkie like myself, and the scene where the Enterprise self-destructs make your own personal list of the most memorable moments on film... B-) As with James Bond, there's always something quite special about wrecking the hero's transportation... :D I really enjoyed the moment on the bridge, when everyone realizes that the fight is lost...

The final fight, between Kirk and the Klingon captain, recalls some of the better fisticuffs from the original TV series. Great stuff.

And at the ending, when we finally see the titular character resurrected and reunited with his friends, it's still a nice moment---even if you know it's coming ;)

Thumbs up from Loeff Jr. and Loeff III.

Next up: "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    Dan Same wrote:
    I've never seen Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Its bad enough to not have seen a single episode of the original series, but to never have seen TWOK is beyond belief. Have you seen any of the Star Trek movies featuring the original cast? Please don't call yourself a Star Trek fan until you have actually seen some of what made Star Trek great in the first place.

You have officially lost the last shred of credibility that you were clinging to. I am severely disappointed in you Dan and I have reported your post to out esteemed moderator / Trekkie Alex. He'll know what to do with you...

Star Trek: The Motion Picture...
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan...
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Sounds like somebody is gearing up for JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie next month. :D

The Star Trek movies featuring the original cast may not be the greatest examples of cinema, and some are definitely better than others, but they're all a lot of fun to watch and I own them all on DVD. I was just watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan last night, as a matter of fact.

FWIW, the reason Kirstie Alley was replaced in ST III was because she made some unreasonable demands. According to various reports, she wanted a huge pay raise and second billing beneath William Shatner. As that would have probably been unfair to the rest of the cast (especially DeForest Kelley who had such a large role in ST III), the decision was made to recast the part.

The six movies featuring the original cast are being re-released on BluRay next month; they were remastered by Lowery Digital Restoration (the same folks who did the Bond restoration). Sadly, Paramount decided to remaster the original theatrical releases to the first two films (The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan) rather than the superior directors editions but I'm sure those will be released sometime down the road, the better to wring more money out of us fans.
    edited April 2009
    I don't know if you caught the entire conversation immediately preceding your post, Tony...but I'm afraid the full title of ST:III might constitute 'spoiler' material.

I didn't do it! {:)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    I don't know if you caught the entire conversation immediately preceding your post, Tony...but I'm afraid the full title of ST:III might constitute 'spoiler' material.

I didn't do it! {:)

I only caught the whole exchange after making my post. Dan can be a little stubborn and even a little obstinate at times; he had me practically pulling my hair out once when we were arguing about James Cameron's intent with Terminator 2. But I hope we can all let bygones be bygones and get back to getting along and having fun.

And no, my fondness for Dan notwithstanding, I will not put spoiler tags around a movie's title. I don't want to spoil a movie for anyone but lets be serious here; if a studio feels confident enough in a title to make it public then I think its safe to reference it. Besides, the events of the Trek movies, especially Wrath of Khan are the stuff of geek legend and literally plastered all over the net - they were literally part of the promotion for Trek III in fact. You'd have to move into a pretty dark cave to be completely isolated from them.
    edited April 2009
    TonyDP wrote:
    ...the events of the Trek movies, especially Wrath of Khan are the stuff of geek legend and literally plastered all over the net. You'd have to move into a pretty dark cave to be completely isolated from them.

I agree, which is why I felt a little 'stung' when I was called out :#

But I'm done discussing it now, as it's already gone on far too long :(
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,423MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    Quadrophenia

Along with The 39 Steps, Disney's Peter Pan, Goldfinger, Risky Business and Pulp Fiction, this must be one of my fave films. It's one classic scene after another. This 1979 film is by The Who and based on their album, but with other early 1960s songs thrown in.

It's about a London mod called Jimmy who awaits the Bank Holiday Monday trip down to Brighton with the rest of the gang on their scooters. Much of the cast went on to appear in shows like EastEnders and The Bill, and Sting pops up too. Do Yanks know of this one? I know you guys love The Who, but this film is so quintessentially English.

The System

A not dissimilar film, this time really from the early 1960s and in black and white. Someone recommended it on this thread a while back. Like Quad, it has an up and coming cast including Oliver Reed, John Alderton, Julia Foster, Derek Nimmo, Derek Hemmings... It starts with a rackety beat group song complete with whoa yeahs! (why is it the Beatles still sound fresh doing that while other bands sound a bit naff and dated?)

The 'system' refers to the local lads at Torquay who work out how to pull girls during the summer season when tourists flock to the seaside holiday resort (no easyJet back then). It opens as the lads walk down the train from London checking out the talent and alerting the leader of the gang Tinker (a young but still not particularly boyish Ollie Reed).

Very early on you suss that this film is Alfie without the charm. This may be a good thing, seeing as Alfie isn't exactly a role model - I suppose it's like who's the better Bond, the charming Connery or Moore, or the more churlish looking Dalton and Craig, bearing in mind that a womanising killer shouldn't be what any bloke is aiming to be. None of the gang are charismatic but the moral trajectory is much the same as Alfie but without any of that Swinging London cheek. Still, it's a fascinating snapshot of the period. Nicolas Roeg did the photography, and er, Michael Winner the directing I think. Dramatically it faffs about a bit in the final third act.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Wow, Dan. I once felt bad not having seen the first Die Hard in all of it's extremity... but not any more! Sure, the opening and famous closing are overly familiar.. Guess I was still recooping from multiple Predator viewings around that time. And I'm impartial to Willis. He's great in Moonlighting though. Just give me Stallone and Arnold, I'm happy.

As for WRATH OF KHAN, (or any ST motion picture involving the best crew of all time). (You simply killed me with that one)

Just the other day I told a supervisor about the needs of the many outweighing those of the few. (or the one, in this case, myself) Somehow I don't think he appreciated the reference though.

I advise you to beam over to the rental shop pronto! Or I'm placing a few ear worms in your PM helmet! ;)

Watched an engaging film on TCM the other night entitled Voyage Of The Damned. (Ill fated ocean liner of Jewish Germans fleeing the docks of Hamburg bound for Cuba. Well three hours just flew by. Great movie, huge all star cast! Very sad story. HIGHLY recommended.)
    edited April 2009
    TonyDP wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    I've never seen Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
    Its bad enough to not have seen a single episode of the original series, but to never have seen TWOK is beyond belief. Have you seen any of the Star Trek movies featuring the original cast? Please don't call yourself a Star Trek fan until you have actually seen some of what made Star Trek great in the first place.

You have officially lost the last shred of credibility that you were clinging to. I am severely disappointed in you Dan and I have reported your post to out esteemed moderator / Trekkie Alex. He'll know what to do with you...
    Excluding Star Trek Generations, which only featured Shatner, I have actually seen Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and much of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. I'm nowhere near as big a Star Trek fan as many members of this site, but I am a fan nonetheless. ;)
    TonyDP wrote:
    I only caught the whole exchange after making my post. Dan can be a little stubborn and even a little obstinate at times; he had me practically pulling my hair out once when we were arguing about James Cameron's intent with Terminator 2. But I hope we can all let bygones be bygones and get back to getting along and having fun.
    That discussion, as I recall, was actually whether the director's intent took precedence simply because he was the director. You're still wrong. :v
    Alex wrote:
    Wow, Dan. I once felt bad not having seen the first Die Hard in all of it's extremity... but not any more! Sure, the opening and famous closing are overly familiar.. Guess I was still recooping from multiple Predator viewings around that time. And I'm impartial to Willis. He's great in Moonlighting though. Just give me Stallone and Arnold, I'm happy.
    Predator is a masterpiece (IMO one of Arnie's five best films.) Arnie is Arnie while Stallone is also great. But you really should see Die Hard. It's the most influential modern day action film of all time, as well as arguably the greatest. :D
    Alex wrote:
    As for WRATH OF KHAN, (or any ST motion picture involving the best crew of all time). (You simply killed me with that one)

Just the other day I told a supervisor about the needs of the many outweighing those of the few. (or the one, in this case, myself) Somehow I don't think he appreciated the reference though.

I advise you to beam over to the rental shop pronto! Or I'm placing a few ear worms in your PM helmet! ;)
    Actually, I have seen a couple of ST films involving the original cast. :D
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    (Setting phaser to Vaporized Dan Same setttings) ....

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, is From Russia With Love of the Trek franchise. The Final Frontier is like A View To A Kill, enjoyable, but oh so wrong, and on so many levels.

And if Die Hard is who I can blame for all the dreadfully depressing Max Paynes and Lucky Numba Slevins flooding the market, then no thanks!
    edited December 2009
    Alex wrote:
    (Setting phaser to Vaporized Dan Same setttings) ....

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, is From Russia With Love of the Trek franchise. The Final Frontier is like A View To A Kill, enjoyable, but oh so wrong, and on so many levels.
    Be merciful. ;% I'm sure I will seen Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan eventually, although the question needs to be asked; what's the Gldfinger of the ST series? :v :))
    Alex wrote:
    And if Die Hard is who I can blame for all the dreadfully depressing Max Paynes and Lucky Numba Slevins flooding the market, then no thanks!
    No, Die Hard isn't to blame for those films (although I did enjoy Lucky Number Sleven.) The two things that made Die Hard so influential are its plot; 'terrorists take over building and only one man can stop them', and the character of John McClane.

Simply put, any film which has a 'terrorists take over... and only one man can stop them' is inspired by Die Hard. This includes such films as Under Siege, Speed, Con Air, The Rock, Toy Soldiers, Passenger 57, Sudden Death, Cliffhanger and numerous other films. Also, the fact that we see the terrorists come in and take over in a detailed and extented way was also influential. Die Hard has also had an indirect influence on most post-1988 action films and is almost certainly the most influential action film of all time, as well as the best. :D

Additionally, McClane's character was signigficant. He was an ordinary man; a police officer, yes, but he wasn't a former soldier or special forces operative. One of my favourite films is Commando, which IMO is a candidate for the title of greatest ever pure action film (that is, a film which is completely and totally about the action and can only be measured on that level; similarly to a martial arts film) but the main character was not an ordinary man. In fact, Arnie rarely played ordinary men; certainly not in the same way that McClane was ordinary. He really was; even the way he dealt with the *terrorists was messier and more 'realistic' than in other films. He was also greatly flawed and was more of a real-life hero than heroes of other action films. The Arnie and Stallone films were/are and will probably always be awesome (at least in my view), but McClane introduced a different kind of hero; not necessarily better, but different.

There's also the use of humour, which whilst not revolutionary (Commando for example also utilised humour), did present McClane as more of a wisecracking Western hero. Die Hard's stunts, famous ending and use of pyrotechnics, as well as the financial motivations of its villains all were arguably extremely influential and absolutely extraordinary. :D

*Technically they weren't terrorists, but 'terrorists take over.. and only one man can stop them' sounds alot better than any alternative. :))
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    DEMONS

Still one of the best horror films after 20+ years. Dario Argento is the man!
    The other great thing about Demons is that it had a lot of little stories. It focused on the relationships of various members of the audience. Everyone went to the movie with at least one friend, and through their conversations and arguments the viewer got to know the audience. It was a pretty good way of making these characters into interesting people; my favorite one being Tony The Pimp (I had no idea that actor Bobby Rhodes was Italian although it was clear that his lines were dubbed).
    When watching it the first time, it was surprising as to which characters survive. There were a few interesting twists and after repeated watches it never gets stale for me.

Classic Euro-splatter film. B-)

8.5/10
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited April 2009
    RogueAgent wrote:
    DEMONS
    Great film. :D I think it was from one of the last great eras for horror films (well, I would say the early 90's was the last great era). It was in the days before Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre were victimised by murderous remakes and before films like Saw were made. :# Anyway, fantastic film. :D
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Quadrophenia

Along with The 39 Steps, Disney's Peter Pan, Goldfinger, Risky Business and Pulp Fiction, this must be one of my fave films. It's one classic scene after another. This 1979 film is by The Who and based on their album, but with other early 1960s songs thrown in.

It's about a London mod called Jimmy who awaits the Bank Holiday Monday trip down to Brighton with the rest of the gang on their scooters. Much of the cast went on to appear in shows like EastEnders and The Bill, and Sting pops up too. Do Yanks know of this one? I know you guys love The Who, but this film is so quintessentially English.

This might sound really sad, but in fact it was this film that started the cracks within my relationship with my brother. I know that sounds weird - but he was so excited to show it to me, and we did, in his London Flat - I was about 22 - and we got such different feelings for the ending - that it caused a huge argument - and our relationship started going downhill from there :# Sad but true.

That I guess - is the power of films :(
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    17 Again

Oh Zac Efron - :x Didn't think I would be sucked in - as I've missed all the High School musicals - but this film was great - very funny - and Zac was brilliant.

The premise was the hero (Zac/Matthew Perry) has a life altering chance playing at a basketball game - and the incredulous timing of his girlfriend's "news" which consequently makes Zac's character walk out on the game, this scuppering his chances of a college scholarship. The choices he then makes effects the rest of his life and eventually - when Matthew Perry reaches that ever so delicate mid-life crises age - then blames all his disappointments on his long suffering wife.

He then is given a chance to put things right - with being "17 again" - but does he make any different choices?

Such a great movie - with such a great ending.
    Letting go - really does work !
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Sorry to hear that Lexi. Was the argument over whether or not
    Jimmy drives his scooter over the cliff and kills himself, or jumps off just before, suggesting he bottles even his suicide attempt? I remember having an argument about that with my teenage mates, one of them insisting the opening referred to Jimmy walking back from the clifftop - turned out he was right!

I think blokes like the film more than gals.

Henry V

This is Branagh's version, and I have to say I thought it was marvellous and better than Oliver's fine version, which I admired rather than liked. Branagh really captured the medieval feel, the mud, guts and blood of the Agincourt battle, whereas Olivier's battle was a jousting contest on a sunny summer's day. It's a livelier, more rousing experience all round, whereas Olivier's version seemed stuck in the Elizabethan era and never quite lost the stage, even when it moved out of the Globe theatre on the half hour mark.

Great supporting cast too, with Paul Scofield lending real dignity to the faltering King of France, and casting Branagh's real-life beau Emma Thompson as his French intended was a masterstroke, lending it a bit of credibility and in-jokiness.

Branagh did well as Henry, but started off as a bit of a surly sociopath - you really started to fear for the French, then he gets uncharacterically chatty later on. Still, he explores the ambigousness of the hero, his ruthless side. Maybe a young Oliver Reed could have done better, but he never looked that young. Lookswise, that Bend it like Beckham/Henry VIII actor (name escapes me) would have been fine at one point, but his Tardis dropped by one hundred years later!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Sorry to hear that Lexi. Was the argument over whether or not
    Jimmy drives his scooter over the cliff and kills himself, or jumps off just before, suggesting he bottles even his suicide attempt? I remember having an argument about that with my teenage mates, one of them insisting the opening referred to Jimmy walking back from the clifftop - turned out he was right!

I think blokes like the film more than gals.

Yep....and doesn't he
    go back and 'conform' by working at the hotel? (if my aged memory serves me right)

I was happy with that outcome, and my brother was so furious with me for thinking like that. He said he took the easy option, whereas I feel he did the sensible thing....

can I just add that my brother has now sold his flat...living in a caravan in Italy ???? (I think?) and I haven't spoken to him for 2 years....a conformist he is not :))
    Well, it's not like we know he goes to work in a hotel like the Ace. Rather that he just bottles it, I'm not sure we're supposed to really know more than that, rather that he's resigned to life's realities for better or worse

And the giant squid coming up from the sea singing Do Wah Diddy was a bit of a surprise...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Dig

Acclaimed music documentary charting the mixed fortunes of two US bands, The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jones Massacre as they struggle to get a record deal. The band members are mates and sometimes rivals, the rivalry gets out of hand.

From the outset it's established that lead singer Anton of BJM is the genius and we have several talking heads banging on about this, in lieu of any songs or wit from the man himself, who seems to be a real jerk devoid of charisma or self-awareness. This becomes a theme; when he rebukes rude audience members he seems like a tetchy school teacher and when he picks a fight with the band on stage it doesn't seem cool but like he's throwing a petulant strop.

Then you hear a bit about his upbringing and you feel more sorry for him. He sabotages the band's success, meanwhile the doc becomes a cautionary tale as the Dandy Warhols do get signed and after some setbacks make it big, as much you figure by learning from Anton's bad example and his dysfunctional, long-suffering colleagues. But the Dandy's also seem a bit priggish and pleased with themselves while the BGM, for all their faults, are more fun to hang out with and observe.

Anyone getting into a band needs to watch this documentary. It's the way Anton is obviously trying to do music for emotional validation and then tries to rebutt it that's very telling. How the documentary maker got to spend years tailing the bands around with no guaranted of a finished product is beyong me.

Roger Moore 1927-2017