Last film seen...

Comments

• SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Quoting DFXX:
    Leon

Excellent film, one of Gary Oldman's best, and Jean Reno's greatest lead role.

Luc Besson's best film as well.

Leon (The Professional in the U.S.) is a very good action film. I agree, Gary Oldman is fantastic.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    summer of sam.

Disco in the clubs, panic on the streets... it's a Spike lee film, sort of Boogie Nights meets The Eyes of Laura Mars...

Okay, Pianist star Adrien Brody turns up as a wannabe punk with a Who fixation (he's got Pete Townsend's nose anyhow). The sex orgy scene was a bit disappointing though.

Some good hits about the serial killer in 1977 New York and the racial tensions it provoked, but not an essential film.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Narrow Margin (1990)

Gene Hackman is as good as ever in this fantastic action flick. There are some great moments including a helicopter-car chase, shortly before a very tense train journey.

Highly Recommended! 9.1/10
  • Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Elektra-if you must see it..rent it first! Not too good!
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Quoting DFXX:
    Mullholland Falls

It's like LA Confidential, if you liked that, definately check this one out. Chazz Palminteri and Michael Madsen are good, but Nick Nolte steals the show.
    Directed by our friend (enemy?) Lee Tomahori.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    LA Confidential and Mullholland Falls in the same class?
    No way, LA Confidential's camera work and lighing is one of the best i've seen in a film ever.
    I love LA Confidential while Mullholland Falls is at best mediocre.
    These two are probably more comparable to Chinatown and the belated sequel The two Jakes, one's a brilliant film and one 's an exercise in seing if i can achieve the same and fail.
    Got to disagree LA Confidential is one of the best films of the nineties. Also in no way do Nick Nolte and Co. come close to the performances of Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce and Kevin Spacey, not to forget Kim Basinger in arguably her best role.
    Tamahori doesn't succeed in emulating LA Confidential as Nicholson didn't in emulating Chinatown.

Oh and the last film i've seen, just watched the magnificent Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources again, if you haven't seen them highly recommended, no action but beautiful cinematography, full of odball characters and undeniably funny on a subtle and sometimes tragic level.
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Third Wheel . Great cast and had its funny moments but there are times where you get frustrated and want to kill the 'third wheel'.
  • DominoDomino Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    The Amytiville Horror (2005)
    Good
    More violent
    Needed the pig and music
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    William Wyler's How to Steal A Million is one of the few romantic comedies that I actually enjoy; it's very much in the same vein as Stanley Donen's romantic comedies (in particular, Charade) in terms of visual flair, witty dialogue, and the occasionally oddball escapades. Peter O'Toole plays a tremendously charming society thief/art forgery expert who helps Audrey Hepburn steal back a fake Bellini statue of Venus from a Parisian museum. The chemistry between O'Toole and Hepburn is excellent; I particularly enjoy the first encounter between the two when Hepburn accidentally shoots O'Toole and when the two are stuck together in a closet. John Williams's score isn't one of his best (not to say that it's bad by any means), but it features definitely a delightfully whimsical caper theme that is also used as a love theme. Highly recommended for some entertaining viewing.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • royale53royale53 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    The DR WHO movie with paul McGann.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Star Wars
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    Over the weekend, The Eiger Sanction (BTW, for those who saw this, I have a question about it), Ladder 49, Ocean's 12, and Fight Club. FC really took me by surprise, finally listening to coworkers advice 5 years ago to watch it ("Oooo, go and watch it, I won't spoil the ending for you!") I expected a 2 hour bloodfest of machismo and testosterones bouncing off the walls. Indeed, you get that, but I liked the OTT message about mediocrity, if not necessarily the manner to combat it as presented. Roger Ebert had a funny comment about it, in that Pitt's character sounded like he tripped over the Nitzche display in Borders to explain for his shallow psychological ramblings.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    Quoting Tracy:
    William Wyler's How to Steal A Million is one of the few romantic comedies that I actually enjoy; it's very much in the same vein as Stanley Donen's romantic comedies (in particular, Charade) in terms of visual flair, witty dialogue, and the occasionally oddball escapades. Peter O'Toole plays a tremendously charming society thief/art forgery expert who helps Audrey Hepburn steal back a fake Bellini statue of Venus from a Parisian museum. The chemistry between O'Toole and Hepburn is excellent; I particularly enjoy the first encounter between the two when Hepburn accidentally shoots O'Toole and when the two are stuck together in a closet. John Williams's score isn't one of his best (not to say that it's bad by any means), but it features definitely a delightfully whimsical caper theme that is also used as a love theme. Highly recommended for some entertaining viewing.

I saw this film during the height of my Audrey Hepburn obsession, along with "Paris When it Sizzles" (now, that's a quite an obsession to sit through that movie!) I regret not having yet watched her other films, like "The Children's Hour," "Green Mansions," and "The Nun's Story."
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Breakdown (1997) - Director Jonathan Mostow

Kurt Russell is great in this thrilling action film. I wont reveal any of the story, but I will say that it really engages you, surprises you and the villains are great too. It ends with a tense car chase-showdown too.

Fantastic performance from the late J.T. Walsh here also. Highly recommended.

9.1/10
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Quoting royale53:

Any good?
    For me it was Oceans 11. Good film and that was only the second time I'd watched it. The sequel was no where near as good. Most sequels aren't IMO ever as good as there preceders. But Oceans 11 is pretty good.
    We have a poster from it and it's sequel in our English room. Today some of the boys were all saying Bradd Pitt and everyone were mingers. Me and my mate battled against them though and resisted the urge to slap them up the face! :D
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Watched Scary Movie last night on ITV1.

It was the first time I had seen it.

It was good.
  • Mr BigMr Big Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Went to see Sahara with the woman.Enjoyed it a lot(dont think she did though, surprise). Don't blame her though, guns going off, things blowing up, and Penelope Cruz in a bikini. Need i say more?
  • Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    The Gods Must Be Crazy-Great movie! If you haven't seen it you should! :D
    Quoting superado:

I saw this film during the height of my Audrey Hepburn obsession, along with "Paris When it Sizzles" (now, that's a quite an obsession to sit through that movie!) I regret not having yet watched her other films, like "The Children's Hour," "Green Mansions," and "The Nun's Story."

I've heard a lot of good things about the Chilrden's Hour, also directed by William Wyler. I do remember hearing, though, that the lesbian undertones had to be played down quite a bit to avoid charges of indecency.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I watched That Thing You Do recently, which I have seen many times and love. What a hilarious movie!
  • royale53royale53 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Quoting FelixLeiter007:
    Quoting FelixLeiter007:
    Quoting royale53:

Any good?
    For me it was Oceans 11. Good film and that was only the second time I'd watched it. The sequel was no where near as good. Most sequels aren't IMO ever as good as there preceders. But Oceans 11 is pretty good.
    We have a poster from it and it's sequel in our English room. Today some of the boys were all saying Bradd Pitt and everyone were mingers. Me and my mate battled against them though and resisted the urge to slap them up the face! :D
    I'n not a DR WHOfan so i couldn't coment about comparisons but as a stand alone film i thoght it was a good Sci Fi film
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    The Falcon and the Snowman

Very intriging film from 1985, about 2 American turncoats. I like the indie feel to this movie and Sean Penn was fantastic is his portayal of the Snowman.
    Hook (1991), Directed by Steven Spielberg

Main Cast;

Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook
    Robin Williams as Peter Pan
    Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell
    Bob Hoskins as Mr. Smee
    Maggie Smith as Wendy

Different people have different views on this film, but I think it's wonderful. What a classic. Superb sets, costumes, dialogue. But more than anything, perfect casting (except Julia Roberts). Dustin Hoffman is absolutely spot on, Williams is funny but makes a great hero, and I'd have to give Bob Hoskins a mention too.

Some of my favourite sequences in any film are present here; the sequence when Peter returns to the house to find his children missing, the final duel between Pan and Hook, and Tootles flying away at the film's conclusion. It's all accompanied by a score that was Oscar worthy from John Williams. There are things I don't like, but they don't dent my opinion of the film as a whole.

10/10
    the Fugitive-a fast paced thriller that holds your attention for the entire length of the film, something that doesn't always happen so much anymore. I kept expecting Jeroen Krabbe to lapse into a Russian accent, though :P
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited April 2005
    Just watched The Great Train Robbery with Sean Connery. I had read the book but never seen the movie. I thought it was quite good. Michael Crichton impressed me with his directing ability. I'm surprised he didn't helm even more films than he did.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Quoting General_Ourumov:
    Hook (1991), Directed by Steven Spielberg

Main Cast;

Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook
    Robin Williams as Peter Pan
    Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell
    Bob Hoskins as Mr. Smee
    Maggie Smith as Wendy

Different people have different views on this film, but I think it's wonderful. What a classic. Superb sets, costumes, dialogue. But more than anything, perfect casting (except Julia Roberts). Dustin Hoffman is absolutely spot on, Williams is funny but makes a great hero, and I'd have to give Bob Hoskins a mention too.

Some of my favourite sequences in any film are present here; the sequence when Peter returns to the house to find his children missing, the final duel between Pan and Hook, and Tootles flying away at the film's conclusion. It's all accompanied by a score that was Oscar worthy from John Williams. There are things I don't like, but they don't dent my opinion of the film as a whole.

10/10

I love that film! I haven't watched it in ages though. I taped it off the TV before, then taped over it with Lion King and then Toy Story.

I saw I Robot but only half way through cus I was getting bored. It was the first time I'd seen it since I went to see it at the cinema and now I remember why I've been putting it off. I went to see it the cinema with 4 guys and they thought it was great, but I thought it was pretty cr*p.
    Last film I saw all the way through was Back to the Future Part II. I'd watched the first one earlier that day and so watched the sequel that night. I always enjoy it when they travel from 1985 to 2015. You get to see all these futuristic things and watching it around 20 years ago must have been even better. And Marty goes into the antique store and they have a dust buster in their. I remember having us one when I was younger. It was a great film, I never get tired of seeing it. 10/10
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Been watching the Flynn Signature Series.

Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex, Dodge City and They Died With Their Boots On

For 55 clams, some of the best movies that this guy's ever likely to see. All with their own respective documentaries.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:
    Been watching the Flynn Signature Series.

Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex, Dodge City and They Died With Their Boots On

For 55 clams, some of the best movies that this guy's ever likely to see. All with their own respective documentaries.

Ah, I've been loathe to shell out the clams for this series because while I LOVE two of the films (Blood & Hawk), and like Dodge I really don't care for the other two films at all. But now I'm tempted since I saw the collection for about $37 at Barnes & Noble considering the price if Hawk & Blood individually, the ones I don't care for are almost a throw in now. How are all the extra features, especially on Hawk and Bood? Do they stand up to what you get on the Robin Hood special edition?

The Great Train Robbery, I own it. It's one of my favorite heist films. I think it's one of Connery's better films and it's so much fun to see him as a villain. Sutherland is brilliant, Lesley Anne Down is not only gorgeous but very good. The level of direction also surprised me because I didn't expect that from Crichton.

MBE
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    Quoting MBE_:
    Ah, I've been loathe to shell out the clams for this series because while I LOVE two of the films (Blood & Hawk), and like Dodge I really don't care for the other two films at all. But now I'm tempted since I saw the collection for about $37 at Barnes & Noble considering the price if Hawk & Blood individually, the ones I don't care for are almost a throw in now. How are all the extra features, especially on Hawk and Bood? Do they stand up to what you get on the Robin Hood special edition?
    I forgot to mention the set also comes with a sixth disc entitled The Adventures Of Errol Flynn. This was TCM's hour and a half documenary and was simply terrific. (yet sad)

One interesting story was Bette Davis and Olivia watching Private Lives years after his death and Bette (who had never watched it) said, "He's good! I was wrong about him!" That one there has some good stories on all the films including Dawn Patrol and Charge Of The Light Brigade. (Two I wished were included in this set but there's always hope for a second)

Captain Blood's behind the scenes runs 23 minutes and Hawk's is 18. And you get Maltin's Night At The movies with them all. But really, considering the sixth DVD of his life story, a good deal.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    Thanks Alex. That really does sound like a deal. I'm surprised that Bette was surprised since hse'd worked with him more than once. I really liked them together in the film "The Sisters" which I'd much rather watch again than Essex. I haven't seen it in ages. I'd also rather have Light Brigade, Prince & The Pauper, Don Juan or Gentleman Jim in this collection.

MBE