Last film seen...

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Collateral - I didn't find it convincing really. Tom Cruise didn't have the manipulative, bullying charm needed as the hitman Vincent. It lost me quite early on... couldn't hear the dialogue too well either, not sure if it was the DVD or what...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Meet The Parents-Pretty good movie. :)
    Romeo Must Die.

It's a martial arts film with the Hong Kong family at war with the boys from the hood. Jet Li stars, plus Alayeer (sp? the R&B lass who died in a plane crash).

You know, I think the director should do a Bond film, it's got humour, great action and colourful cinematography, not too sweary or violent. The film has charm. It's a good no brainer.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Wedding Crashers.

Just awful. Utter dreck.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Not proud to say 'Off to Grandma's House We Go'. Starring the Olsen twins, but around 4 years old! :)) It was a pretty ok movie itself, but something more appropriate for showing around Christmas time I would of thought.
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Wedding Crashers.

Just awful. Utter dreck.

Wow. You are the first person I have heard who doesn't completely love this movie. Everyone I spoke to about it says it was great, and some put it at the top of their list for greatest movie ever! I have yet to see it, but I was surprised by how many people lvoed it.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Wedding Crashers...some put it at the top of their list for greatest movie ever!
    8-) Short lists, I guess. Haven't seen it, have heard more good than bad, but doubt it's a threat to Casablanca.

Latest for me is Witness, for probably the tenth time. Harrison Ford in Amish country with a chunky (compared to Top Gun, at least) but beautiful Kelly McGillis. Just a great film -- well-paced, well-acted. Ford shows depth in a way he hadn't before and probably hasn't since. Only negative is some dated 80s synth music in the soundtrack, but that's nitpicking.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Wedding Crashers.

Just awful. Utter dreck.

Wow. You are the first person I have heard who doesn't completely love this movie. Everyone I spoke to about it says it was great, and some put it at the top of their list for greatest movie ever! I have yet to see it, but I was surprised by how many people lvoed it.

I'll give a review tomorrow .... I'm off to see it.

Saw Madagascar on Monday.Some good moments.Had a very good cast,Ben Stiller,Cris Rock and David Schwimmer.Not quite Toy Story or Shrek but the 8yrs olds I had with me loved it! Looking forward to Charlie and the Chocolate factory next week :D
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    As scary as this might sound, I just finished watching the Sound of Music for the third time within the past four days! One of those times I saw the dubbed French version which was actually pretty faithful to the original wording and had some excellent voices. Are there lots of overly sentimental bits? Yes. Do the various choreographed moves in certain songs seem really extraneous at times? Certainly. Are the children (I've finally figured out all of their names!) really bad at pretending to cry? Absolutely. Do I still wonder why land-locked Austria has such a decorated naval hero in Captain von Trapp? Definitely. Even still, I've adored this movie ever since I was young and continue to find the story charming enough even with the extra sappy sequences. I simply can't imagine anyone else in the role of Maria other than the spirited Julie Andres or anyone else than Christopher Plummer as the wonderfully wry Captain von Trapp. There are a couple of so-so songs like "I Have Confidence" and "Something Good" which were written at the last minute after the lyricist died, but overall it's impossible not to love the music.

Guess who wants to get the soundtrack now...
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Tracy wrote:
    Do I still wonder why land-locked Austria has such a decorated naval hero in Captain von Trapp? Definitely.

Austria and Hungary had quite a lot of seashore and an extensive fleet up until the end of World War I. Hell, we were even governed by a naval commander for 25 years in the "Kingdom without a King". I guess von Trapp is just one of those guys who became useless after the loss of all seashores and was confined to do boring desk jobs or walk off with a healthy pension. Guess this gives von Trapp another reason why he tries to live out his militaristic ambitions within the family...
    Tracy wrote:
    ....Even still, I've adored this movie ever since I was young and continue to find the story charming enough even with the extra sappy sequences.......

Same here.I love this movie AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT! I have watched The Sound Of Music more times than I can count.I spent a whole half term off school watching it at least twice a day! (that was a little extreme I know) and it never fails to put me in a good mood! I love Christopher Plummer ( even though he apparently refers to the movie as 'The Sound of Mucus') and Julie Andrews.

There was a TV programme on recently called 'Where are they now' and it was about the Von Trapp children.It was really good.The kids said they were all really scared of Plummer as he maintained his persona off set as well!

Guess what Tracy, I have the soundtrack! and Cat, thanks for the history lesson.

And now I have lost all credibility on this board, I will go for a long walk........
  • Hells AngelHells Angel Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    Aliens (1986)
    I only bought it cos it had Paul Reiser in it, but its probably the best movie Ive seen in ages. +checks stomach+ nope, can't seee anything about to explode form it!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Watched The Island the other day

I'm a bit indifferent about it. Full of Micheal Bay's signature ludicrous action, though.
    Saw The Wedding Crashers last night.I thought it had some funny moments and I liked both Vaughn and Wilson.It was a little predictable but very watchable.
    And I thought you were a woman of class, Lady Rose.

My review is on imdb under clivey6 - it's titled Utter dreck (is that the correct spelling of dreck?)

I hate all the movies I watch these days, don't know why. Starsky and Hutch last night, with Stiller and Owen, just a superannuated spoof, though Vince Vaughan was actually quite good in it. Like a 90minute sketch really.

My Summer Of Love the night before, set in a Yorkshire town with two teenage girls, eerie music and lovely photography but emotionally uninvolving, story no great shakes and no one you could have much sympathy for. Paddy Considine is good as the brother who suddenly has found God, but his story didn't resolve itself very convincingly to me.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Moonraker 10Moonraker 10 Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Last Bond watched: Octopussy
    Last 'other' movie watched: Pulp Fiction
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    LR, your post just made my day! :))

Saved: I definitely liked the premise behind the film but the characters were too stereotypical for my liking. It's a satire of evangelism and how religion can be manipulated within social contexts at an American high school. Once you manage to gloss over the various plot holes (no mother close to her daughter suspects her child of being a teen mother even when she starts to get big around the belly!) it's enjoyable enough and provokes some thought, something which you can't say for a lot of teen movies. Still, it's a little too idealistic even for my tastes. Also, I was bothered by the likeable characters' excessive smoking especially since this movie's geared towards a teenage audience.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.

My review is on imdb under clivey6 - it's titled Utter dreck (is that the correct spelling of dreck?)

I am! Are you referring to my undying love for The Sound of Music or the fact I liked The Wedding Crashers! ( or both :)) )

I had seen your earlier comments of TWC and was surprised as everyone I know had said it was great.

Actually I will agree with about movies generally.I have been three times in a couple of weeks and saw War of The Worlds, Madagascar, and TWC. Out of those three, I prefered Madagascar!!

Judging by the trailers last night there is nothing coming out that looks great ... have to get the DVD's out
    I'll vouch for her being a lady of class and taste, why only the other night she invited me over for caviar on bellinis accompanied by a bottle of '93 vintage Krug Millésimé. Isn't that right darling? ;) lol

I declined of course, her being a married woman and all.

You been dreaming again blade? ......... ;)
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

I'm a bit indifferent about it. Full of Micheal Bay's signature ludicrous action, though.

So I must ask DH,were you the only one in the theater for the showing?

***The above question is a poor attempt at humor. If you saw the box office returns for mentioned movie, you may, or most likely will not find my question funny****
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    edited July 2005
    Went to see Fantastic Four yesterday, wasn't too bad, not a long film but either that or I could have seen Madagascar, but my mates decided we see F4.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I saw Madagascar and it rocked! Dead funny.
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Mr Martini wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

So I must ask DH,were you the only one in the theater for the showing?

***The above question is a poor attempt at humor. If you saw the box office returns for mentioned movie, you may, or most likely will not find my question funny****

Hee Hee! Actually, my friends and I purchased tickets to see Fantastic Four, but after we entered the theater we decided to see The Island instead. Thus, our ticket dollars went to someone else. For a premiere Saturday, though, the audience for the movie was very thin. Never a good sign.
    Lady Rose wrote:

I am! Are you referring to my undying love for The Sound of Music or the fact I liked The Wedding Crashers! ( or both :)) )

Talking about Wedding Crashers, not The Sound Of Music, though it's interesting to compare the latter with Cabaret in its treatment of the encroaching Nazi menace.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Quite good fun as hokum on DVD. Liked the sexual chemistry, though it's a sign of the times that it's not between Connery and anyone anymore, but Stuart Townsend and a very foxy Peta Wilson.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Father Of The Bride (1991)
    Came across this when I was looking for a film to buy, saw it had Steve Martin in it so thought it must be funny then! anyways, its a pretty good film, so I'll end up getting part 2 next time I go shopping!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,402Chief of Staff
    A Man Apart. Vin Diesel = balsa wood !!
    YNWA 97
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited August 2005
    I had a mini Hitchcock marathon -

It began with "Rear Window" (1954)
    It's amazing how intriguing this film really is, and it pulls together so well. It's fantastically thought-out and written also, and I've never been so gripped by the same film every time I watch it. What a classic, and the one thing that makes it even better is a superb cast. I mean, Grace Kelly, what a delight she is to watch on screen.

The second film was "Dial M For Murder" (1954)
    This film is surprisingly difficult to get a hold of in the UK, considering I don't like using eBay. So I had never seen it before, and had no idea what to expect. It's one of Hitchcock's finest for sure, maybe even my own favourite of his films. Ray Milland and John Williams (the actor) in particular shine in this. What really impressed me was how brilliant, and clever the "murder" was, and how, piece by piece, the culprit was brought to justice. Of course, I don't even need to say how great Grace Kelly was!

It ended with "Psycho" (1960)
    I hadn't seen this film for a few years, but it's still a shocker. I think it's amazing that, at 45 years old, Psycho is still scary and frightens even modern audiences. Even so, the aspect that always sends a chill down my spine is the music. Legendary.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    General_Ourumov, it's funny you should mention a Hitchock marathon, recently they showed The Birds and Marnie (which Sean Connery was in as well!), at a historic theatre in San Francisco, and Tippi Hedren was there to give a little talk afterwards. Apparently Hitchcock was quite smitten and extremely obsessed with her, and she said it was very uncomfortable to work with him! Eventually her contract had to be sold to another studio it became such a problem. I never knew that and found it realy fascinating. Thought you might too if you were a fan.

Oh...and the last film I saw.. to stay on topic was Must Love Dogs with Diane Lane and John Cusack...it was kind of cute, but cliche. I guess all romantic comedies are predictable..but that's what I like about them. :)

And I too loved Wedding Crashers..I admit to even seeing it twice. :D
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'd like to see "Must Love Dogs", just because it's got my boy Cusack in it.

Last film for me was The Hustler on Turner Classic. Piper Laurie really shouldn't have waited 17 years after this movie to return to acting as Sissy Spacek's psycho mom in Carrie, in this one she was gorgeous. You'll fall in love with her character, it's a little sad. And George C. Scott, Jackie Gleason and some youngster called Paul Newman were also in it. Great film!

BTW, Hitchcock loved all his stars. :D