Last film seen...

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I just saw Red Eye last night at the theater with my friends. It's rather short but very good IMO. It is about a girl who gets mixed up in a plot to assassinate a world leader. Very suspenseful.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Bad DogBad Dog Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    edited September 2005
    Just watched my copy of Goodfellas at home. I absolutely love this movie. I think it's the best gangster movie I've ever seen, even better than the Godfather. Sometimes it can be a little to lighthearted at points where it should be serious, but the humor in other scenes is what sets it apart from Godfather and ultimately makes it better.

I also watched Pulp Fiction with my roomates. As good as it's always been maybe even a little bit better. I found the scences with Travolta and Thurman much more entertaining this time even though they used to be my least favorite parts of the movie. My roomates are both not very big movie buffs and haven't seen many classics so I'm trying to show them all the must-sees I own and enlighten them to high quality films. My roomates thought it was wierd and didn't make sense, but overall they liked it. Which reminds me, why do so many people think this movie doesn't make sense?
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Bad Dog wrote:
    Which reminds me, why do so many people think this movie doesn't make sense?
    Because they are idiots who can't see the beauty of it. :v
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Lawrence of Arabia.

Wow. Long, and dips towards the end. Cinematically, brilliant.

I've heard it's a bit heavy though.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited September 2005
    The Music Man (1962), Director; Morton DaCosta

Well I finally managed to order my DVD of this film from the U.S. (it's unfortunately, and insanely only available over there when it's loved world-wide!). It's indeed only the second time I've ever watched the film, after reading up and learning all there is to know about the show on Broadway and how it became a movie.

It's ridiculous to think that they weren't going to use Robert Preston to play Harold Hill. They claimed he was too old for the role, so asked Frank Sinatra (who was 3 years OLDER than Preston), and when he turned it down, they asked Cary Grant (who was FOURTEEN years older than Preston). Apparently Cary Grant said "I won't play Harold Hill because only one man can do it, and that's Robert Preston. Furthermore, if Preston doesn't play Hill, then I won't watch it in theatres, either". It's absolutely true, as Preston shines in the role that ultimately showcased his talents to everyone. It boasted a strong cast overall; Shirley Jones is a solid choice, with some fantastic supports in Buddy Hackett, Hermione Gingold and Paul Ford particularly. Harry Hickox deserves a nod, too.

As far as the songs go, there are fewer songs that are impressively written and performed as those featured in The Music Man. "Ya Got Trouble" must have taken such monumental effort, and the same goes for the "Shipoopi" dance which is quite a spectacle. Overall though, it's the ever-memorable and catchy "Seventy-Six Trombones" that will stick with you even after the film has finished. This classic is what musicals are all about, and I'd recommend it to everyone.

9.2/10
  • SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Bad Dog wrote:
    Just watched my copy of Goodfellas at home. I absolutely love this movie. I think it's the best gangster movie I've ever seen, even better than the Godfather. Sometimes it can be a little to lighthearted at points where it should be serious, but the humor in other scenes is what sets it apart from Godfather and ultimately makes it better.

I also watched Pulp Fiction with my roomates. As good as it's always been maybe even a little bit better. I found the scences with Travolta and Thurman much more entertaining this time even though they used to be my least favorite parts of the movie. My roomates are both not very big movie buffs and haven't seen many classics so I'm trying to show them all the must-sees I own and enlighten them to high quality films. My roomates thought it was wierd and didn't make sense, but overall they liked it. Which reminds me, why do so many people think this movie doesn't make sense?

You have an extremely good taste in movies. Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction are both in my top 5 list. I agree with you that Goodfellas is better than The Godfather.

I bought Reservoir Dogs today, so I'm probably gonna watch that tonight.
    Thanks Number 1! Anyway what do think I should show my roomates next, Reservior Dogs B-) , Blues Brothers, or Kill Bill. Or you can just throw out a random title you like, I'll probably have it or I'll just rent it if I haven't seen it.

The last film I watched wasn't exactly a film, but the Lost first season dvd box. I watched the first four episodes, which oddly I hadn't seen in their entirity. Their excellent! Hopefully the next season is just as good!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Had nothing to do today, so I watched Collateral. I kind of watched it. I was tired and barley awake for some of it. That's not saying the movie was bad, what I saw was excellent. I will watch this again when I'm more awake. If I'm not awake I'll run to a Starbucks and get a triple shot of espresso.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Had nothing to do today, so I watched Collateral. I kind of watched it. I was tired and barley awake for some of it. That's not saying the movie was bad, what I saw was excellent. I will watch this again when I'm more awake. If I'm not awake I'll run to a Starbucks and get a triple shot of espresso.

I reviewed Collateral at the bottom of page 60; I liked it a lot. Very well put together.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Saw Kung Fu Hustle this evening. A little bit goes a long, long way; but at its best it's fun and very funny. And there's a Bond connection: the Landlady was played by the same actress who played one of the karate-chopping nieces (the one with shortish hair) in The Man with the Golden Gun.

I watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it. It is a fun and quite camp at times film that for fans of martial arts movies is a treat. The Landlady was great as were most of the cast -the special effects were quite good and although the tale is a bit loose at times and has holes the visual feast of the fighting and the slapstick more than enough make up for it. Loved the roadrunner scene too! ;) All in all the film put a smile on my face. 8/10 in my book.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Last night I saw Revenger's Tragedy, which I don't believe was ever theatrically released in the U.S.--or, if it was, had received only the smallest of distributions. I'd read the original play several years ago in a graduate course on Shakespeare and his contemporaries, and I loved it; so, as soon as I learned of this film's existence--and that it stars Christopher Eccleston and Derek Jacobi--I added it to my Netflix queue. Sigh. What a disappointment. The play lends itself to farce, but the performances in this movie are too often camp; and I think now, more than 25 years after Mad Max, it should be safe to say that setting a movie in a post-apocalyptic near-future run by punks is not only unoriginal but downright hackneyed. Worth it, though, to see Sir Derek in kabuki-like makeup and to ogle Sophie Dahl for a while.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    It hurts when something you are looking forward to turns out to be incredibly bad :(

I, too, recieved a Netflix mail bomb the other day:
    McKenna's Gold
    You'd think a western featuring Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savalas, Eli Wallach, Anthony Quayle, and Edward G. Robinson looking for the legendary "Canyon of Gold" would be top notch. Boy was I wrong! Terrible camera-work and opticals, disjointed music (surprising since the film touted famous film composer Dmitri Tiomkin as producer), and just donwright poor editing. The movie was extremely close to being fodder for Mystery Science Theater!
    There wasn't much on so I actually watched The Brady Bunch movie made about a decade ago.

And I thought it was great!!

Well, cleverly written and humorous at least. More so then other attempts at sitcoming a feature film. Dukes of Hazard, and the costume disaster Flintstones movies, which shouldn't have even been attempted, come to mind. (You don't cast Rosie O'Donnel as Betty Rubble, period)

Anyway, I had a fun time with the Bunch, probably the best scene is where Davy Jones appears at the high school prom concert, while the kids are still figuring out who he is, all the teachers and chaperones (all still incredibly hot btw) make their way to the front of the stage in amazement. Can't explain it but that gave me goosepimples for some reason. In a good way. And Michael Mckean was terrific as the bad guy comic foil.

So I'll just close this with a hearty "Marsha Marsha Marsha!"
    Alex wrote:
    There wasn't much on so I actually watched The Brady Bunch movie made about a decade ago.

Well, cleverly written and humorous at least. More so then other attempts at sitcoming a feature film. Dukes of Hazard, and the costume disaster Flintstones movies, which shouldn't have even been attempted, come to mind. (You don't cast Rosie O'Donnel as Betty Rubble, period)

Anyway, I had a fun time with the Bunch, probably the best scene is where Davy Jones appears at the high school prom concert, while the kids are still figuring out who he is, all the teachers and chaperones (all still incredibly hot btw) make their way to the front of the stage in amazement. Can't explain it but that gave me goosepimples for some reason. In a good way. And Michael Mckean was terrific as the bad guy comic foil.

I watched most of that to. If I'm not mistaken it was on the USA Network. My only complaint is they edited parts out. The movie itself had no profanity from what i can remember, but it did have some very risque adult humor. But I'll agree with Alex, a funny movie that pokes fun at the 60's sitcom.
    It also has some guest appreances from some of the original cast too. Like Alice (Ann B. Davis), as a truck driver, Peter (Christopher Knight) as a high school sports coach (seen briefly, and has one line), Carol (Florence Henderson) as Grandma, and I think Greg (Barry Williams) has a cameo also, not to sure though.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Alex wrote:

I watched most of that to. If I'm not mistaken it was on the USA Network. My only complaint is they edited parts out. The movie itself had no profanity from what i can remember, but it did have some very risque adult humor. But I'll agree with Alex, a funny movie that pokes fun at the 60's sitcom.
    It also has some guest appreances from some of the original cast too. Like Alice (Ann B. Davis), as a truck driver, Peter (Christopher Knight) as a high school sports coach (seen briefly, and has one line), Carol (Florence Henderson) as Grandma, and I think Greg (Barry Williams) has a cameo also, not to sure though.
    Cheers MM. The best bit was the oversexed wife's neighbor.

I did notice they edited the controversial incestous scene with Peter and Marsha. Memory fails me but I do recall it played for laughs the first time. Though I still was very suprised to see that in a mainstream film.
    Lethal Weapon 4

Right, I'm definitely buying the full set of these on DVD, because I don't think I've seen them all, and I've completely lost track of which one is which. Well; Mel Gibson is an absolute plonker, but he's cancelled out by the brilliant Danny Glover; and the speech by Joe Pesci about his pet frog almost gets me every time. I can't remember the other three, but the action and humour of this one makes it an absolute gem in it's own right.

8.8/10
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    edited September 2005
    Alex wrote:
    I did notice they edited the controversial incestous scene with Peter and Marsha. Memory fails me but I do recall it played for laughs the first time. Though I still was very suprised to see that in a mainstream film.

The "incestuous" bit were actually in the just-as-good-as-the-first Very Brady Sequel, unfairly condemned straight to video in the UK because of some nun-chuck moments (this seems to be a pet hate of British censors!). Both Brady Bunch Movies are absolute genius though, and exactly how you should do a tv series on film - if, indeed, you have to do it at all...

And the original Greg is the record company exec who turns down the "new" Greg, if you know what I mean!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Alex wrote:

The "incestuous" bit were actually in the just-as-good-as-the-first Very Brady Sequel, unfairly condemned straight to video in the UK because of some nun-chuck moments (this seems to be a pet hate of British censors!). Both Brady Bunch Movies are absolute genius though, and exactly how you should do a tv series on film - if, indeed, you have to do it at all...

And the original Greg is the record company exec who turns down the "new" Greg, if you know what I mean!
    I have to say, when the neighbor's wife invited the boys over to "make a sandwich" my mouth opened agape. A truly fist pumping bit of dialogue! (as in the raised in the air variety) :D Ten stars for that and Sam the butcher man "delivering some meat" alone. Brilliant!
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Weren't the incestuous parts in the movie between Marcia and Greg? I know they had a crush on each other during the show.

What I found so amazing is how much Christine Taylor looks like Marcia!!! The resemblence is uncanny. And the actress that played Jan was really good too. So funny.

And I know exactly what you mean Alex, I love the Davy Jones scene too.

Jetset, did you guys get The Brady Bunch in the UK growing up?
    The part that I spoke of being edited was when "The Jock" was picking Marcia up for the school dance. Carol asked "The Jock" if he had protection (she asked this because it was a gloomy rainy night)? He answered "Yes, in a variety of colors" I think there was more to his answer than that, but that's all I can remember.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Arabesque: Think of it as Charade-meetsThe Living Daylights. Meant to capitalize on the success of the Hitchcock-esque Charade, Arabesque is an entertaining exotic spy thriller. Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren make for a very friendly if somewhat casual couple in more of a Steed and Mrs. Peel sort of way as they zigzag across Britain on the run together. Henry Mancini's score is absolutely delightful, especially his main title theme which accompanies Maurice Binder's Bondian artwork. Sadly, it generally lacks the wit of Charade and tends to play even more upon the many stereotypes of 60's spy capers.
    There are the usual doppelgangers, body swaps, the urbane but sinister Kamal Khan Arabian aristocracy types, secret codes and servants are easily bribed into giving information. And of course, the hidden message is really disguised in the form of a microdot.

The ending bears some really bizarre similarities to the Living Daylights, especially the Arabian horseman being shot in the arm while galloping across a bridge over a high ravine! Recommended, although I still prefer Charade.

And can someone please give me back the last 4.5 hours of my life after squandering them on Monster-In-Law and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? So much for having my mother pick out what we're watching for family movie night...
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
    Just saw the last 30 minutes or so of The Untouchables. From what I saw it looked like a masterpiece. I know Sean Connery won a Oscar for his role. I want to see the whole movie. Is it worth buying and adding to my "Gold Collection" of DVDs.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Just saw the last 30 minutes or so of The Untouchables. From what I saw it looked like a masterpiece. I know Sean Connery won a Oscar for his role. I want to see the whole movie. Is it worth buying and adding to my "Gold Collection" of DVDs.

I would say "Yes! It definitely is!" I found the collector's edition on DVD for fairly cheap at Target. I bought it even though I already owned it on VHS. The special features are interesting, especially when it reveals how hesitant budding actor Kevin Costner was to take on the lead role.
    darenhat wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

I would say "Yes! It definitely is!" I found the collector's edition on DVD for fairly cheap at Target. I bought it even though I already owned it on VHS. The special features are interesting, especially when it reveals how hesitant budding actor Kevin Costner was to take on the lead role.

Yeah during the movie last night they had little factoids flashing at the bottom of the screen. It said Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson and even Don Johnson were being considered for the role of Ness. Thanks darenhat, I'll go check it out at Target. Hopefully it's still cheap.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,402Chief of Staff
    The Island. I expected so much more. Okay, I know it's a Michael Bay film and one shouldn't expect too much, but I was still left wanting something better. The premise of the film was good and had so much potential but it didn't even hit the summer blockbuster mark.
    YNWA 97
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    I saw Transporter 2. It was awful.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    Tracy wrote:
    Arabesque: Think of it as Charade-meetsThe Living Daylights. Meant to capitalize on the success of the Hitchcock-esque Charade, Arabesque is an entertaining exotic spy thriller. Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren make for a very friendly if somewhat casual couple in more of a Steed and Mrs. Peel sort of way as they zigzag across Britain on the run together. Henry Mancini's score is absolutely delightful, especially his main title theme which accompanies Maurice Binder's Bondian artwork. Sadly, it generally lacks the wit of Charade and tends to play even more upon the many stereotypes of 60's spy capers.

I only saw this movie once a long time ago. I read somewhere that Sophia Loren dispised Gregory Peck, and during one scene in which they were running in a field, Loren actually outran Peck purposely to goad him about his lack of masculinity. True? If yes, I think that it's more likely that Loren had a crush on Peck and demonstrated it in a bizarre Amazonian manner.
    And can someone please give me back the last 4.5 hours of my life after squandering them on Monster-In-Law and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? So much for having my mother pick out what we're watching for family movie night...

Haven't seen Monster-in-law and have no intention to, unless I capitulate to the wife's nagging :D, but Skycaptain wasn't bad. It was fun, novel and a throwback to the old Flash Gordon serials and Max Fleischer cartoons that inspired the Batman Animated Series and even Brad Bird of Iron Giant and Incredibles fame.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited September 2005
    I just saw, um Saw. It was twisted and gruesome (in a good way). Actually the twisted premise is all this movie had going for it. That and it's twist ending which is a rather good twist. However, the movie is way too long, it's quite boring for most of the movie. The beginging and the twist are the only good parts.
    Two and a half stars

Also it should be noted that a certain scene at the end of this movie should be celebrated by the fact that it's the only scene ever that has totally grossed me out. The next day I was thinking about that scene and everytime I do I cringe, and feel uneasy. If you've seen the movie, I think you know what scene I am talking about. :s
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Tracy wrote:

I only saw this movie once a long time ago. I read somewhere that Sophia Loren dispised Gregory Peck, and during one scene in which they were running in a field, Loren actually outran Peck purposely to goad him about his lack of masculinity. True? If yes, I think that it's more likely that Loren had a crush on Peck and demonstrated it in a bizarre Amazonian manner.

Haven't seen Monster-in-law and have no intention to, unless I capitulate to the wife's nagging :D, but Skycaptain wasn't bad. It was fun, novel and a throwback to the old Flash Gordon serials and Max Fleischer cartoons that inspired the Batman Animated Series and even Brad Bird of Iron Giant and Incredibles fame.

Hmmm, I heard a different story regarding Loren and Peck in the cornstalk running scene. Reportedly Peck kept having to tell Loren to slow down because of an old leg injury that flared up; it looked like she was rescuing him rather than the other way around.

As for Monster-In-Law, just tell your wife that if she values her brain cells then she should not waste them on that movie. I thought that the premise and the look of the film were pretty good; I merely couldn't stand Gwyneth Paltrow's simpering for a good hour and a half straight with the occasional feeble attempt at being helpful (see a connection with the recent Bond girls here?). It's a pity that Angelina Jolie's character wasn't onscreen very much; she was the only character besides maybe Dex who actually kept my interest.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
    Captain Clegg

A highly entertaining film. They don't make them like this anymore. Not in a thousand POTCs.

Based on the Novel: Dr Syn - A Tale of the Romney Marches by Russell Thorndike. So we're talking Phantoms of the Marshes and a superb cast.

With young, dashing Oliver Reed, buxom beautiful Yvonne Romain. Patrick Allen plays Captain Collier, and Peter Cushing as, well, guess who.. Not to mention fan favorite and Bond vet Milton Reid as the mute mulatto with both ears slit.

A great Swashbuckler from Hammer. And very rarely shown in the USA. I'd never seen it, but I highly recommend it now that I have.