Last film seen...

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    633 Squardon, a World War II movie.

Okay, a sort or poor man's Dam Busters. Except it's all fiction, so a bit pointless in comparison. A great, rousing theme, though.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Sin City

Stellar cast, very different and artistic in its own way. Beautifully gory, and holds some surprises here and there. The film's unique styles is what, above all, makes it great. Performances from Willis and particularly Mickey Rourke get a nod from me. Highly recommended.

8.4/10
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent

Okay, a sort or poor man's Dam Busters. Except it's all fiction, so a bit pointless in comparison. A great, rousing theme, though.

Courtesy of the great Ron Goodwin... Can I say most underrated composer EVER?
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    The Cat wrote:

Courtesy of the great Ron Goodwin... Can I say most underrated composer EVER?

I love Ron Goodwin.My father had most of his albums.As for 633 squadron, fab. Another burst of nostalgia for me and yes, the theme is great .. had it as a ringtone at one time!!
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Ron Goodwin's Miss Marple Theme is amazing! I totally agree that he is underrated and often overlooked or forgotten completely. This is absolutely unfair!
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Wow. Didn't know he had this much of a fandom... thought I was alone. :p Actually I just ended up collecting together almost everything ever produced by Ron, the most notable difficulty being that 60% of his scores have only been released on promotional casettes or LP? Can you imagine that a classic like Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines never got a true CD treatment? :o
  • Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    I saw Two For the Money in theatres last Friday. It was entertaining. I would give it about a 7.8/10. Al Pacino is great of course. I'm not a big fan of that Matthew guy, but he did decent.

Spoiler for Two For the Money...sorry, I still don't know how to turn the font different colors. I never saw it coming that Matt's character was only playing to Pacino's gambling by kissing his wife.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    I watched "The Firm" last Sunday, and man, that film seems so dated! Sadly, Jeanne Tripplehorn, who played Tom Cruise's wife, never really took off with her career. I remember too how popular John Grisham's books were for filmmakers during the 90's.

On Monday evening, I watched "The Interpreter" with Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman, and man, that movie was so boring! I don't know if my fatigue from work contributed to it, but I was execting a somewhat engaging film from Sidney Pollack (who I did not realize till now also directed "The Firm," what a cointidink!) I fought to keep my eyes open till the end, and man, what an overly prolonged and predictable climax...I mean, I was just screaming "well_____, go and kill ____ already!" and what seemed like 5 minutes later with the characters in the same configuration, the scene is still not over!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited October 2005
    I have just arrived home from an advanced screening of the latest incarnation of Pride & Prejudice, and it was absolutely amazing! The entire cast were brilliant, the scenery amazing, and the storyline was, as ever, fantastic!
    I wholeheartingly renew my adoration of the glorious Rosamund Pike!!!
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    I'm All Right, Jack, the classic British comedy from 1959. Absolutely hilarious and far more daring than any American comedy of the same period, with jokes about politics, sex, race, and class. And what a cast! Peter Sellers in his BAFTA-award winning role as a union shop steward with mushy-lefty views, Ian Carmichael, Terry-Thomas, Dennis Price, Richard Attenborough, and Margaret Rutherford. O Bliss!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Just finished watching American Psycho. Not sure if I liked it or not. It's not as violent as I thought it might be. I'm still trying to figure out if......
    Chrisitan Bales charector has a split personality he can't control
    If someone knows, please let me know.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Last movie I watched was "The Notebook." Pretty predicable, and unrelated plot elements were obviously tied together to create novel twists (otherwise, each plot element in itself wouldn't be that remarkable), but it worked for me and was a joy to watch.

The last movie before that was an fan-produced, EON-ized version of NSNA with the soundtrack redubbed and the gunbarrel and Maurice Binder title sequence inserted; aptly, the title song used was "History Repeating" by Shirley Bassey. I liked this doctored version very much, which I received as a gift.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • wet nelliewet nellie Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    I've seen "History of Violence" and "Two for the Money" within the last week or so. "Violence" was abo****ely horrible - way too many unconnected subplots, and Ed Harris dies halfway thru the movie. Pretty stupid. Don't waste your time or money. "Money" was something to watch, and Pacino had a few good "Pacino" lines, but other than that it was pretty poor. See on DVD if you really want, otherwise just pass.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Watched Swamp Thing with Adrienne Barbeau and Louis Jordan. (born to play the debonair villain) Ahh, good old camp movies adapted from comic books. It's not for everyone but a solid hour and a half of mindless fun from Wes Craven.
  • Sean Connery JB007Sean Connery JB007 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    edited October 2005
    Watched "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery. I love that movie and the music from Ennio Morricone is excellent - as usual. I guess I have a faible for incorrupt heroes like Eliot Ness, Jack Ryan or - James Bond...
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Watched "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery. I love that movie and the music from Ennio Morricone is excellent - as usual. I guess I have a faible for incorrupt heroes like Eliot Ness, Jack Ryan or - James Bond...

Just bought this movie. I've seen the last 20 or 30 minutes of it. I liked it so much I went and bought it. Maybe I'll watch it tomorrow.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Just watched Land of the Dead with my son. He felt it lacked gore and suspense, but liked it. The socio-political commentary was as obvious as a semi-truck, but fun to "analyze."

Also watched the animated, "The Batman vs. Dracula," which was okay despite the PG treatment. Hopefully I'll have time to watch the special features of these DVD's tonight.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    "Drunken Master" starring Jackie Chan daft Kung Fu movie that made Chan into a star. :)
    edited October 2005
    Torture Garden

The second of Amicus' horror anthologies. Burgess Meredith plays Diablo (aka the devil) who shows four people what fate might have in store for them. The four segements are not particularly shocking but entertaining nonetheless. The script was written by Robert Bloch, famed writer of Psycho (and a whole lot more)

They saved the best episode for last. Entitled The Man Who Collected Poe - it stars Jack Palance as an obsessed collector and Peter Cushing as the ultimate collector whose collection has something even more startling. Worth it just to see these two stalwarts in action together!

TG is a good film but pales compared to other entries from Milton Subotsky and Max J. Rosenberg's "studio that dripped blood." :)
  • XeniaXenia 2nd star to the right, straighPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    Doom

I was suprised by this movie, it was better than I thought it would be. :) I hadn't been following any spoilers for this movie but when I saw the first trailer a few months ago, I thought it would be pretty decent. It has an interesting and nicely twisted storyline with plenty of gore and a few suspenseful moments. The ending was a suprise and this movie has alot of similarities to the video games. :)

If you like vg movies, this one is better than most that have been produced. I rate this one 3.5 out of 5.
  • largo_7largo_7 PalmyraPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    I saw the first Saw movie today and was utterly freaked out by it. How do filmmakers think of these terrible things (deaths)? I am not usually into horror movies but this one was more of a thriller and I liked it somewhat considering what it was. Now I need to go and see what the second one is like.
    On Hallow's Eve I took in a triumvirate of terror with the babular queen of horror, the one and only Barbara Steele.

Danze Macabre - (released in the states as Castle Of Blood) An atmopheric and eeriely filmed black and white piece that captures Barbara in the peak of her unusal beauty.

Nightmare Castle - Another eerie and spooky entry with the pulsating and haunting organ music of Ennio Morricone. A classic of the genre.

The Ghost - Barbara in color, slashing her two timing lover with an open handed razor. A ghosty whodunit with a twist ending.

All three of course products of the golden age of Italian horror. The horror is subtle and implied, rather then the later hack and slash.

Yes, I love Halloween.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    I saw the 1928 silent film The Man Who Laughs. This stars Conrad Veidt, best known for playing villains and Nazis but who was in real life a true humanitarian, as a man whose face had been carved into a hideous permanent grin. It's an odd movie--the plot is downright ludicrous and its melodrama would sink like a lead balloon today--but the images are fascinating and unforgettable. By the way, Bob Kane claimed that Vedit's makeup helped inspire the look of The Joker. Do tell:

man_who_laughs_circle.gifKane-Joker.jpg
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Vertigo-this is the only movie I've been able to watch in its entirety from the TCM Alfred Hitchcock marathon, and am I glad that I saw it again. Except for perhaps Spellbound, Vertigo is easily my favorite of Hitchcock's films. You're so caught up in the mystery of Madeleine Elster that you can't blame Scottie for falling for her (unintended pun, sorry) as he does. Upon watching it for the second time,
    the murder plot does seem somewhat contrived-there are much easier ways of killing one's wife without arousing suspicion. It doesn't detract from the Madeleiene/Judy and Scotty storyline in the least, although I still find it strange that Elster is never punished
    . I've never quite felt comfortable with heights since seeing Vertigo. The visuals and use of color are absolutely stunning, especially with the infamous "vertigo" camera movement. It's San Francisco and Northern California at its best. (OK, so as a Californian I'm a teeny bit biased here :P)

Sadly, it's also an example of how one of the greatest film scores in history can be mucked up by the baton of an incompetent conductor. Try muting the remastered Matheson conducted during the Scotty-trailing-Madeleine sequence or even the opening titles with the Joel McNeely recording and you can hear the difference immediately. At any rate it's easily one of Bernard Herrmann's greatest compositions in any medium.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    The Wild Geese - got this film free with a paper last weekend - I love this film -especially as it has Moore, Burton and Harris in it. A true classic.

One film I'd like to watch now I've watched this -is Escape to Athena -anyone remember that movie? ;)
    The Wild Geese - got this film free with a paper last weekend - I love this film -especially as it has Moore, Burton and Harris in it. A true classic.

One film I'd like to watch now I've watched this -is Escape to Athena -anyone remember that movie? ;)
    Very well, it was one of those tapes my family owned when VHS players were new and I overplayed it. (Usually for the thrill and privilege, being able to whenever I wanted. A unique experience. (or at least then)

Before all the people that don't like this film show up, let me state my opinion. I love Escape To Athena. Great film though not perfect.

Telly Savalas as the Greek Partisan, David Niven, Elliot Gould who steals the show, Stephanie Powers and the strip show, Roger Moore as the "Austrian Antique dealer" Sonny Bono as the operatic chef, Richard "Shaft" Roundtree. Cool movie. As a bonus I also don't need a translator when the island natives speak.
    Coming a year late to the party, I got a chance to watch Kill Bill II, now I remember why David Carradine was always one of my favorites. Great musical score as well.

Pretty awesome movie. I liked it better then the first. Darryl Hannah and Uma Thurman taking no prisoners. The master that taught them both. Good look.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Coming a year late to the party, I got a chance to watch Kill Bill II, now I remember why David Carradine was always one of my favorites. Great musical score as well.

I thought Kill Bill II was excellent. I saw it before KB I and much prefrred it. David Carradine is an excellent actor. Very watchable.

We must have got the same papaer last week then SC1 ;) . Its by my DVD player, waiting to be watched.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    odd little titbit about the wild geese...even today the japanese and korean copies cut out completely the gay medical officer...weird but true
    delon64 wrote:
    odd little titbit about the wild geese...even today the japanese and korean copies cut out completely the gay medical officer...weird but true
    Still waiting on my copy, there's supposed to be a bounty of extras but I've read it's unfortunately not 5.1. Oh well, I'm just happy this long overdue movie is finally preserved for the DVD age.