Last film seen...

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Fengriffen

Aka And Now The Screaming Starts

Ian Ogilvy and beautiful Stephanie Beacham. 40 minutes into and haven't noticed the time fly. This has a great pace, haunting score, and terrific foreshadowing. There's a commentary track with Ogilvy and he's very interesting to listen to.
  • Sean Connery JB007Sean Connery JB007 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Just watched "The Chronicles of Narnia". Awesome movie! They did a really good job in adapting the bestselling novel from C.S. Lewis who is one of my favorite authors. I'm particularly glad that they didn't water down the message behind this movie.
    The acting and special effects are also first rate.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Just watched "The Chronicles of Narnia". Awesome movie! They did a really good job in adapting the bestselling novel from C.S. Lewis who is one of my favorite authors. I'm particularly glad that they didn't water down the message behind this movie.

Glad to hear a positive review of this movie! I'm looking forward to seeing it (when I have a chance!)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Last night I watched Unleashed--apparently known as Danny the Dog outside the U.S. An ecclectic cast--Jet Li, Morgan Freeman, and Bob Hoskins--in a truly bizarre movie. I thought of it as a sort of Oliver Twist with bone-crunching, chop-sockey death fights. For all that, though, very entertaining and surprisingly sweet-natured. Worth checking out.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited December 2005
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Unleashed--apparently known as Danny the Dog outside the U.S.
    It was titled Unleashed here in Australia, which I think is a more appropriate title than Danny The Dog.
    I haven't watched it, but I do have a spare Unleashed promotional postcard, if you're interested. ?
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent

I didn't think this opened until next week. Now that I know it's open and getting positive reviews I'll have to check it out. Thank you!
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Fantastic Four on DVD ( Mmmmmmmmmm Jessica Alba :x )

Also the original King Kong on DVD! Man, I can't wait for Jackson's take on this legend!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Matchstick Men

I apologize for anyone who liked this movie, but I gleaned virtually no entertainment from this movie. After watching Tony Shaloub play an obsessive/compulsive character with genius in "Monk", Nicolas Cage pales in comparison.
    Watched the Magic Christian with Sellers and Ringo. Can't get the song out of me blasted head now, great biting satire on greed, lots of 60s cameos. One darn entertaining film to be sure...
    Alex wrote:
    Watched the Magic Christian with Sellers and Ringo. Can't get the song out of me blasted head now, great biting satire on greed, lots of 60s cameos. One darn entertaining film to be sure...

Would the song be "Carry on Till Tomorrow" (played under the opening titles) or "Come and Get It?" All performed by one of my all-time favorite groups, Badfinger. I've seen the movie and I really don't care for it, but the music--primo!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited December 2005
    Both of them, HB, but anyone next to me at work got quite an earful of the catchy Come And Get It.

Carry On Till Tomorrow is, simply put, one beautiful, awesome tune. I want to purchase this soundtrack.

Agree about the film's weirdness, definitely a three or four drink movie. :)
    Alex, may I recommend The Very Best of Badfinger CD? Both songs are on it, as well as other classics like "Day After Day," "No Matter What," "Midnight Caller," and the original "Without You"--which Harry Nilsson covered and turned into a smash hit. Always happy to make a Badfinger convert!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Alex, may I recommend The Very Best of Badfinger CD? Both songs are on it, as well as other classics like "Day After Day," "No Matter What," "Midnight Caller," and the original "Without You"--which Harry Nilsson covered and turned into a smash hit. Always happy to make a Badfinger convert!
    Why thanks very much for steering a soul in the right direction, Hardy! Always happy to discover great music!
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    I did get round to watching King Kong last night... which was very fun! although Mr Jackson, it was too darned long! some of the scenes just dragged on a little bit!

I was also surprised at the amount of kids that were in the cinema... I remember going to see Jurrasic Park and being taken out because I was crying... King Kong was far more violent!
  • the princethe prince Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Last fil I saw was Inferno/Coyote Moon/Desert Heat (it's one of thos three, I don't actually know), with Jean Claude Van Damme, lots of explosions, guns, death and fist fighting, pretty good.
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    the prince wrote:
    Last fil I saw was Inferno/Coyote Moon/Desert Heat (it's one of thos three, I don't actually know), with Jean Claude Van Damme, lots of explosions, guns, death and fist fighting, pretty good.

Was Inferno the film with Ray Liotta in?
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Saw Christmas with the Kranks, last night. Second half better than the first. Watchable, but not great.
    Madagascar, again! This film is hilarious! Especially Sasha Baron Cohen as the lemur king!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    The Chronicles of Narnia ... Not bad but not the best film I've seen this year. Was slightly disappointed to be honest. Some of the effects were excellent but some were a little suspect. My 8 year old thought it was a bit boring in parts. Tilda Swinton and Liam Neeson were excellent as usual.
    Big Bad Mama with Angie Dickinson. You go girl.

I'd also to like to thank Bueno Vista Entertainment for re-releasing B gems from Corman. More please. :)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Last night (my time) I saw Goodnight and Good Luck. A brilliant film, it featured superb performances, aparticularly from David Strathairn who played journalist Edward R. Murrow. My only quibble is that there wasn't a huge amount of character development. Nonetheless I loved it.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Watched The Island, I enjoyed it but as usual Michael Bey (The Director)went too far in a couple action scenes. The premise of the movie (cloning people for spare parts)was interesting and the cast Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson and Sean Bean were very good. I think one more script rewrite and a lttle bit of editing and this movie would have been great.
    Sat down and watched the much malinged Disaster Royale. (In terms of production of course)

This film might weave more then an Ali butterfly but it is also highly enjoyable at times. Joanna Pettet's Mata Bond steals a place in my heart. Her trip to the West Germany elite Espionage school being a major highlight. I would have liked to have seen more of Mata.

Barbara Bouchet (also one of my favorite Trek girls) is absolutely, positively super sizzling.

I also enjoyed the song. Have no fear Bond is here.
    Murderer's Row, with Dean Martin as Matt Helm! I love the Matt helm films and I'm still trying to find the "Matt Helm Lounge" boxed set of all four films on DVD, my VHS copy of of Murderer's Row is wearing out!
    I saw Walk the Line a couple of nights ago. Good biopic with strong performances from Joaquin Phoenix (considering he looks nothing like Johnny Cash he was downright extraordinary) and Reese Witherspoon. . .and, man, can those two SING! As I watching the movie, though, I couldn't help but think how similar it is to Ray. This isn't a knock; just an observation about how great talent often seems to come from the same circumstances.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I watched The Jerk on my X-Mas eve. It was an early X-Mas gift from my buddy. I watched it today and thought the movie was great. Correct me if I'm wrong but this was Steve Martins big screen film debut, and he was perfect. I don't want to give anything away, but my DVD is the 26th anniversay edition. If that seems strange see the movie and you should understand. 5 out of 5 stars.
    Today is Boxing Day, and, as has become a tradition of late, I went to the movies.
    I had 3 films I was interested in seeing (in order of interest):
    The Legend Of Zorro
    King Kong (released on the 14th but I still hadn't seen it)
    The Chronicles Of Narnia
    I picked King Kong, and I was very pleased that I did! The characters, and how they related to one another, were all extremely compelling. I was actually caring about them and wanting to know more about them (This rarely occurs for me outside of Bond films, because I'm a cold, heartless individual) and I guess you put this down to director Peter Jackson, because I felt the same way about the characters of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
    I was thinking to myself "I actually don't care if they meet Kong or not, please continue with just these characters!". However, when Kong does arrive (around the 40 minute mark), WOW! it's amazing. The action really picks up, and we also get to learn about this creature, and what drives him.
    The characterisation of Kong, Ann Darrow, the film crew, and how they relate to each other, is what really drives this story though. When the action kicks in, if you don't have an emotional bond with the characters, then who cares if they live or die, right? Well hold onto your hats folks and prepare to be moved!
    The performances by the entire cast, even the second & third-string characters, were terrific! I usually dislike Naomi Watts, but her performance as Ann Darrow was just brilliant, and she looked amazing too!
    I give King Kong 5 out of 5!
    Next week, it's The Legend Of Zorro!!!
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    edited December 2005
    Mr Martini wrote:
    The Jerk... Correct me if I'm wrong but this was Steve Martins big screen film debut
    According to Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia, you're almost correct.
    His first role was in Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978).
    His next film, The Jerk (1979) was his first lead role.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Just finished watching "A Christmas Carol" with Alastair Sim in the role of Scrooge! This is by far the single best version of this classic tale!

Outside of the Bond films, this is probably my favorite film!
    asio wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    The Jerk... Correct me if I'm wrong but this was Steve Martins big screen film debut
    According to Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia, you're almost correct.
    His first role was in Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978).
    His next film, The Jerk (1979) was his first lead role.

Thanks asio for the tid-bit of info.