Last film seen...

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    asio wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    The Jerk... Correct me if I'm wrong but this was Steve Martins big screen film debut
    According to Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia, you're almost correct.
    His first role was in Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978).
    His next film, The Jerk (1979) was his first lead role.

Thanks asio for the tid-bit of info.
    Let's just say that The Jerk was his first role. I'm sure everybody involved would like to forget that other one

:))
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Watched Polar Express with the kids on Christmas eve. Strangely, I really liked it and the kids thougth it was just OK. I enjoyed the magical side of it, the kids thougth it was stupid in parts.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Watched Polar Express with the kids on Christmas eve. Strangely, I really liked it and the kids thougth it was just OK. I enjoyed the magical side of it, the kids thougth it was stupid in parts.

I saw PE on Christmas Eve myself, though I saw it with my Dad and I don't have kids. I'm not sure I liked it--visually it's beautiful, but I also found it kind of cold and creepy. The North Pole scenes were more Village of the Damned than anything else; and the elves--with their ritualistic chanting of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"--seemed like cult members! :o
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

I saw PE on Christmas Eve myself, though I saw it with my Dad and I don't have kids. I'm not sure I liked it--visually it's beautiful, but I also found it kind of cold and creepy. The North Pole scenes were more Village of the Damned than anything else; and the elves--with their ritualistic chanting of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"--seemed like cult members! :o

Good points, my youngest (10) mentioned he thought parts were kind of creepy and he did not like the fact the faces were basically expressionless.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    I haven't seen Polar Express but the numerous commericals for it last year really did give off a creepy vibe, so much so that I avoided it and I love animation and I adore Christmas movies.

Movies watched over last two days:

A Christmas Story : "You'll shoot your eye out!" -- as always just brilliant and Darren McGavin is as always fantastic

Dodgeball: Um -- OK. But it seemed like a 30 minute sitcom (and it seemed to be filmed like one as well) stretched out to an hour and a half. It has one truly great line (and line delviery) "You can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" -- funny in the commericals and just as funny in the film. But if anyone wants to watch a recent truly funny underdog team story then Sholin Soccer is by far a better move.

Shaun of the Dead: V.V. amusing even though it seemed to peter out at the end there with the obligatory character wrap up, though the final end scene almost makes up for that.

Spike Bond-a-thon: Bits and pieces of at least 10 films. If any of you haven't seen a Bond film you're really missing out, they're quite entertaining. ;)

MBE
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    I had a very special Joe Don Baker Christmas. That's right, I've watched Mitchell, the single best episode of MST3K, which is not only a landmark because of Joel's leave, but because every single line is quotable and funny. Before Mitchell, I watched another season classic, Santa Clause Conquers The Martians, which worths its price alone for the song "Have a Patrick Swayze Christmas." :D But by the end of the film, I just wanted to get onto Mitchell, which is 90 minutes of pure (un)intentional comedy. And of course the best line is "This is a very special Joe Don Baker Christmas." Okay, you should see what happens when they say this, but it always have me in stitches. :D
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    MBE_ wrote:
    I haven't seen Polar Express but the numerous commericals for it last year really did give off a creepy vibe, so much so that I avoided it and I love animation and I adore Christmas movies.

It seems to me that all of Chris Van Allsburg's children's books are "creepy." The illustrations are fantastic...realistic, yet cold and isolated. Often times the character faces are oddly expressionless and to a degree unresponsive to the environment around them, making the overall feel incredibly odd...But that's part of the charm, I think.

As for me, I just saw King Kong. Very well done. I'm convinced that Peter Jackson could pull emotional blood from a turnip. But as I left the theater I had to remind myself: There's better places to get blood, and even better uses for a turnip.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited December 2005
    Hardyboy wrote:

I can see what you mean, but I loved Polar Express. It is quite creepy. Not a traditional Christmas movie and elements of Tim Burton pop in.The Elves are not the most attractive creatures in the world.Watched it yesterday. Santa brought it for my little one and she loves it.

We first saw it last year at the cinema when it first came out but we saw the 3D version at the IMAX.It was unbelievable and possibly one of the best cinematic experiences for me in a long time.Very magical.

(It was a bit disconserting when the a guy came out before the movie starts saying 'if anyone feels ill or overwhelmed please find an attendant who is standing in the aisles !! Though when it started I could understand why.)
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy, my wife and I just saw Polar Express tonight! And I do agree with you that the animation was a bit cold, but the story itself, I found to be heartwarming! I wish they could have "humanized" the animation more! This still is an ongoing problem! Hopefully someday. someone will figure out how to get it done!
    Hoowaw, just watched the best darned high speed car chase film of all time.

Better then Mcqueen's Bullit and Getaway.
    Better then the French Connection
    Better then Smokey Cannonball Run

Blows the doors off the simulated car scenes of Fast and Furious

That film would be, "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" - Holy smokes, what a flick!! a 67 Chevy Impala and a 69 Dodge Charger. And the ending.

Peter Fonda and sexy Susan George. Best movie I've seen all Year. And it's 30 years old. How about that? :)
    Alex, I saw Crazy Mary and Dirty Larry when it first came out. I loved it. Of course Susan George had a lot to do with it. She was fantastic in it, also was great in Straw Dogs. I may have to check that movie out again.

I still think she was an actress that could have done more with her career. She might have needed a better agent.
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    My wife and I took our sons, and good friends of ours and went to see The Chronicles Of Narnia!
    What an impressive film, very beautiful in visuals and story! And some great characters1 All the children were perfectly cast, as was the voice of Aslan the lion!

(I refrain from mentioning the actor's name who provided the voice for the lion, so as not to spoil the fun! I did not know this actor was even cast for the role, so it was a very pleasant surprise for me!)
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Last hour of Spirited Away , it seemed good :)
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited December 2005
    The Legend Of Zorro
    It's a fun, high-spirited action film, suitable for the entire family.
    Antonio Banderas was fantastic, as was the ever-delightful Catherine Zeta Jones.
    There are some campy scenes, mostly involving Zorro's horse, but it was never over the top, and merely added to the charm of the film.
    Another plus for the film, all of the stunts were real, ie: done by real stunt men! Well, all except for one stunt that was performed one a blue-screen, but it was a dangerous stunt involving Zorro's horse, so...
    :D :D :D
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Alex, I saw Crazy Mary and Dirty Larry when it first came out. I loved it. Of course Susan George had a lot to do with it. She was fantastic in it, also was great in Straw Dogs. I may have to check that movie out again.

I still think she was an actress that could have done more with her career. She might have needed a better agent.
    I was suprised to hear her natural British speaking voice, because her southern twang as Mary was absolutely perfect.

I also was suprised to see this drive in classic of scenic Americana was directed by John Hough, a North Londoner and veteran of the Avengers shows.

An outstanding film...

PS: Peckinpah's movies are my cup of brew for real! (I've heard many things about Straw Dogs) Will definitely have to find that one someday.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Checked out The Chronicles Of Narnia last night. Not my direction for fantasy so to speak being that some of the content was a little corny but the scenery and the battle scenes were breathtaking. This is sincerely a beautifully rendered film. If you get the chance, check it out. :)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Just finished watching Dark Water with Jennifer Connelly. Jennifer gives her usual great performance as a soon to be divorced mom forced to move into a less than upscale apartment in New York. Once in the apartment strange things start to occur.

Can't decide if I like it or not. It is slow moving yet you can't take your eyes off the screen because you know something is about to happen. It builds the tension slowly, but it does build, however I was little disappointed by the ending, although I was surprised.

As I said Connelly was great, the supporting cast (John C. Reilly, Tim Roth and Dougray Scott) are very good and director Walter Salles creates the proper mood. I just would have liked a better ending.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Alex wrote:
    Peckinpah's movies are my cup of brew for real! (I've heard many things about Straw Dogs) Will definitely have to find that one someday.

'Straw Dogs' is disturbing on several levels...but is equally riveting. Peckinpah gets very solid work from Dustin Hoffman, and Susan George is indeed splendid. A fascinating turn from David Warner as the local 'village idiot'... If you like Peckinpah, you simply must own 'Straw Dogs.'
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited January 2006
    Right you are Loefs. I own a copy from The Criterion Collection that includes some interesting extras, including an interview with Susan George. Straw Dogs is in my top 5 movies of all time. I first saw it in a theater and then saw it again when my college film society ran it. Reaction from the audience is always interesting. I don't want to give away the ending, but I remember a young lady behind me during the climatic scene saying "kill them, kill them" which is the reaction I think Peckinpaugh wanted. His best work, even better than The Wild Bunch.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Three words: The Rape Scene. :o
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I watched 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh'. :D It was nice and reminded me about how I used to have such a worry free and stress free life. :)
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    I watched The Never Ending Story it was my all time best movie when I was younger and before I got into bond, it was a christmas present for me in 2005.
    Quite a contrast we have here at 'ol AJB! :D

Checked out a Swedish film that definitely influenced Tarantino on the Kill Bill, Darryl Hannah, color coordinated eye patch.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture, AKA "They Call Her One Eye"

All I've got to say is...cruel 'ain't the word! Depressingly horrific, devastatingly sad, all are more appropriate.

Could have done without the Tarantino "Seal of Approval" advertising. Stick his name there for sales, But I can find good flicks on my own, thanks.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2009
    His best work, even better than The Wild Bunch.
    Straw Dogs is a fantastic film, but you're not comparing it to one of the greatest Westerns ever made? ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    I just got through watching "The Offence" with Sean Connery & Ian Bannon. Very taut and this is one of the very few films where you actually see a flood of emotions from Connery as a ticking- bomb-waiting-to-explode cop. Throughout the interrogation you never really know if Ian Bannon's character is really guilty of the atrocities he's accused of or not with his teasing banter he weaves throughout the film.

I won't ruin it for those who never got a chance to check it out yet.

Classic Sidney Lumet.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I watched Back to the Future Part II and then Grease as it was on ITV. :D
    I love the Back to the Future movies and Part II is my favourite because they go to the future. :) I don't really reckon things are gonna be like that in 2015, but it was probably a pretty realistic guess in 1985. Then they come back to the alternate 1985 and it shows just how such small things can really alter future events. :) And then the Doc and Marty go to 1955 and I love that too. The Doc tells him to get something inconspicuous - so he get a leather jacket, black hat and shades. :))
    Grease is just fantastic too and I never tire of it. I love Grease Lightening and "It only takes fifteen minutes?" :))
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Saw Brokeback Mountain last week. As a film, it drags in spots (a typical Ang Lee problem, IMO) but is beautifully photographed and well-scored.

The performances of Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall are astonishing. Every scene they are in together is a marvel. Too bad Ledger will lose out to Philip Seymour Hoffman, because he is truly brilliant. In many ways, though, its Gyllenhall's performance that propels the story. The supporting players are excellent as well, particularly Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway. Ang Lee, not my favorite director at all, took the risk of casting the film young and having the actors age 20 years past their real ages. That risk paid off in spades.

At the end of the day, this is a sad story of unrequited love, like "Romeo and Juliet", but instead of being held back by warring families, these lovers are held back by society's lack of acceptance of who they are. I am not ashamed to say I left the theater sobbing, much to my own surprise and that of my wife. I can pay a movie no higher compliment than that.

I guarantee, anyone who calls this the "gay cowboy movie" has not seen it. Do not make that mistake.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Where The Sidewalk Ends, with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney (my dream girl)

Three cheers for affordable Fox Film Noirs.

Next up, Richard Widmark's film debut in Kiss Of Death.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    The last half of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, the anti-Bond spy story. Absolutely brilliant. Burton's greatest performance?

Followed by The Quiller Memorandum. Hard to remember when George Segal was a serious actor. Alec Guinness shines (duh!) and it's cool that it was shot in Cold War West Berlin, but the story is weak. The clear highlights are a gorgeous Senta Berger and, of course, John Barry's score.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Heee Heee, Dukes of Hazard, and I loved every second of it.