Last film seen...

Comments

• Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    The other movie my wife rented this weekend was The Upside of Anger with Joan Allen and Kevin Costner. I really had no desire to see this movie at all. I had walked past it numerous times at the video store, but since my wife rented it I told her I would give the movie a chance. Well, much to my surprise I really liked it. Joan Allen plays a stressed out middle age wife with four daughters whose husband has walked out of the marriage, and it appears that he has left the country to begin a new life in Sweden with his secretary. Kevin Costner is the ex-baseball player now radio show host who lives near by. Allen and Costner eventually begin a relationship which is like nothing I have seen in the movies before. Both Allen and Costner are imperfect people dealing with lifes events in not always the best way. Even thought their characters are not really likable you end up liking them anyway. The movie has a lttle surprise near the end. But for the most part this is Allen and Costner creating two interesting, flawed characters that find each other.

After I watch a movie I like to go back and read Roger Ebert's review to see if we agree or not. Ebert gave this movie 4 stars, he was right.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,402Chief of Staff
    Finally managed to watch Night Watch. I really really enjoyed this film. It's got a good story, good actors and great special effects (even more remarkable as the entire film only had a $4m budget). This film should make a few studios hide their heads in shame and it's no wonder that Hollywood is going to bankroll the next two installments of this trilogy - Day Watch and Dusk Watch. I wonder if Hollywood will insist the next two films being in English rather than Russian ?
    A good and intelligent film, definately worth seeking out if you haven't already seen it.
    YNWA 97
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    I just saw the 1967 CR for the first time. And that movie is lousy.
    Hide And Seek. Borderline ok film, a bit too slow in it's build up though.
    YNWA 97
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Went and bought Fast Times At Ridgemont High on a co-workers recomendation. I must say this is a funny film. I'm guessing those who were in high school in the early 80's can relate to this movie. It's worth the 10 bucks I paid for it. Jeff Spicoli makes this movie. (Played by Sean Penn)
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    Mr Martini, I have Fast Times At Ridgemont High on DVD and I think it's a great film too. Jeff Spicoli was easily Sean Penn's greatest performance ever.
    As for my last film seen, that would be Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, which premiered on Showtime Australia on Sunday night.
    I saw this film in the cinema last year, and I remembered that I was thinking about asking for my money back. But, like most comedies, I know they can be funnier on the second veiwing, and I was right. There are some humourous scenes, and if you're a Vince Vaughn fan, or a Ben Stiller fan, then you will like this film. But I don't think I'll see it again though. Twice is enough.
    Now, this Thursday... I'm going to see Munich.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    I've seen Zardoz four times during the past week now -- twice with Boorman's commentary.

It's a movie that grows on me, definitely. I'm slowly starting to see what Boorman was after.

---
    jfm
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Last movie I saw was a really nice love story, only it was disguised as a biker film. A tale about a guy who does an editorial for a major magazine and reveals his former gang's inner methods. For ten thousand pay, then the story starts and everyone's after him along with his girlfriend. The banter between the two is the cenral plot and highlight, and there's a really good motorcyle jump onto a moving train.

It's another oldie, yeah, the only thing Alex watches, I know, I know.;)A guilty pleasure called Run, Angel, Run, with William Smith as Angelo.
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    It's another oldie, yeah, the only thing Alex watches, I know, I know.;)

Me too!

The past six months I've seen almost exclusively movies from the 30s and 40s.

Current favourites include:

"The Maltese Falcon" (Bogart's version) -- an almost perfect film in every sense.

"Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde" (1932) -- Freddie March's over-the-top performance is a killer.

"Double Indemnity" + "Sunset Boulevard" -- American film noir at its very best.

---
    jfm
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    True to my word I paid my $10 and saw Munich in the cinemas today, and although it had a big premise, the delivery was poorly executed. A bit too long, and a bit unclear in places. There were times when I was left thinking "is this really a Steven Spielberg film?". IMO, Munich is the poor cousin to Schinder's List.
    However, Daniel Craig was endurable as Steve, which was really my only true reason for seeing this film.
    Oh well, perhaps next time I'll pick a comedy...
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    edited January 2006
    Watched a really cheap Bond knock off, made in somewhere around '67 or '8. What can I say, the series was pretty darned about huge right then. And this film is all over the genre. From the Binder-esque credits to actor John Gabriel's fly undercover with the ladies. Considering this was also copying the swinging agent Matt Helm and Derek Flint field is perplexing, considering the mishmash and end product.

Watching the documentary, the original title was "Operation M", that was changed to "The Fakers", then a few biker scenes were tacked on in the editing room and they released it as "Hell's Bloody Devils"! :s

It's great camp stuff though, I even saw the Star Trek twins from the "Alice series" make an appearance in a pet shop. Really catchy song by Susan Andrews as well, "Fakers, fakers!" (no, that's it)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    March of the Penguins. I was surprised by how good this is--beautifully photographed, engrossing, and moving. I'd always thought of penguins--when I thought of them at all--as just funny creatures; but this film shows that they are complex beings whose survival skills are nothing short of amazing. Check it out!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    I don't know if I said this, but I saw FUN WITH DICK AND JANE recently. It was an OK movie, but it gets quite a few laughs.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    The Man Who Knew Too Little. Just a classic Bill Murray romp. I never get tired of watching it. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Watched Shaolin Soccer on cable. On a scale of 1-10, it gets 11. What a funny, wacky, and inventive picture. I loved it!
    I saw a genuine film classic: Blackboard Jungle, with Glenn Ford as an idealistic teacher squaring off against a classroom filled with inner-city juvenile delinquents--including Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow, and Jamie Farr (or Jameel Farrah, as he was then billed). Sometimes these social message films from the 1950s age badly (witness Wild One), but I was amazed by how relevant this movie still is: gang violence, racism, ineffective and burned-out teachers, you name it. And the music still rocks!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    I saw The Matador yesterday, it wasn't bad. It's probably Brosnan's best role yet. After that I watched Network on DVD. Another great film.
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure if I am doing something against this thread, so Mods, get your keyboards ready, but "Wedding Crashers", I just watched it this weekend, and that has been the funniest film thatI have seenb in YEARS!!!! There was a lot of hype, but it was groovy. I love that film, Thank God I finally saw it.
    Jones wrote:
    I'm not sure if I am doing something against this thread, so Mods, get your keyboards ready. . .

Huh??? This is a discussion of the last film people saw, and that's what you wrote about. What would you be doing that's "against" the thread??
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Probably because, as we all know, Wedding Crashers sucks!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Watched Saw last night, and although I'm not really a horror fan, I thought it was a terrific film. I thought it was a really good idea/story and brought something new to the genre.
    YNWA 97
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Watched Saw last night, and although I'm not really a horror fan, I thought it was a terrific film. I thought it was a really good idea/story and brought something new to the genre.

Hence why we have derivative films like HOSTEL. Not since the 80s has it been stylish to hack up young virgins. :D

SAW is an awesome flick, I agree.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Watched "Fantastic Voyage" on Saturday. The film can be campy, but visually still holds my interest. I actually think the SFX and sets are impressive even today. And...well...it's got Raquel Welch in it. :)
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Excorsist 4 with Scorupco....:/
    Just finished watching The Constant Gardener, which I found to be passable, but not great. The acting is well done Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz were very good as well as Danny Huston.

The story unravels rather slowly and many parts are quite frankly boring. The heavy handedness of the message that the drug companies are evil and Africa is being ravaged by the west was a bit much. I won't get into politics and/or a socialology debate, but I think things are not quite that black and white. One of the ways I judge how much I enjoy a movie is by asking my self this question, if I see it on television will I watch it, in this case, no.

One final comment, I have seen many people on this board comment how beautiful Rachel Weisz is and some have suggested her for Vesper. In this movie in several scenes she was frankly, unattractive and I don't believe she would make a good Vesper at all.
    A classic comedy, Carry On Nurse.

And I must comment on one thing. Shirley Eaton posesses one of the most radiant smiles I have ever had the privilege to view onscreen. A true golden girl if ever there was.
    Alex wrote:

And I must comment on one thing. Shirley Eaton posesses one of the most radiant smiles I have ever had the privilege to view onscreen. A true golden girl if ever there was.

Alex, I couldn't agree more about Shirley Eaton. That moment in Goldfinger, when Bond pushes her onto the bed while talking to Leiter and the camera closes in on her face and she gazes up at Bond, her face and smile are incredible. That look she gives Bond says it all. She was on screen maybe 5 minutes in GF, but the camera loved her every minute and so did I.
    Last night I watched Robert Altman's Nashville. I have a soft spot for these multi-character, interlocking-story movies; and this one is nothing short of a masterpiece. Funny, poignant, and elusive. One of the things I really like about it is that its meaning is deliberately vague. It respects my intelligence enough to figure it out for myself. How many movies today do that?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

Alex, I couldn't agree more about Shirley Eaton. That moment in Goldfinger, when Bond pushes her onto the bed while talking to Leiter and the camera closes in on her face and she gazes up at Bond, her face and smile are incredible. That look she gives Bond says it all. She was on screen maybe 5 minutes in GF, but the camera loved her every minute and so did I.

I am also a member of the Shirley Eaton appreciation society. Indeed, she was only on screen in GF for about five minutes, but those five minutes are amongst the most iconic in movie history. Who will ever forget that image of her body painted in gold.

Eaton also appeared in a few episodes of The Saint. Here she is sharing a "cuppa" with Roger Moore.

sainteaton.jpg
    edited February 2006
    Barry Nelson and Moore Not Less, I see you both have excellent tastes. :007)

se6.jpg