Last film seen...

Comments

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    I tried to choke down Vertical Limit last night. It was so horrendous I had to stop halfway. Why didn't anyone warn me!?

Daren, don't tell you I didn't warn you! Okay, it's more of a "collective warning", but still I did my best... ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    The Matador

Hmm, I've been hearing about this film for a year, and how it's Brosnan's great performance, but it's only just come out over here, and with nary a whimper at the box office and not great critical reviews. Whereas CR is now creating a buzz...

While I sort of liked the film, it brought out the nitpicker in me. To the point where in the end I was more involved in the movie than I would have been otherwise, and started to fall in love with my own cut of the film...

1) I couldn't believe in the relationship between Noble and Danny. Noble the washed out hitman is so oafish and uncharismatic, Danny would just tell him to get lost and mean it, not be talked around.
    They don't seem to bond in any way. They could have done this if a) Noble had told a funny, witty David Niven style anecdote, making him good value b) the pair's friendhip is sparked by a mutual anitpathy towards a pompous and vile hotel employee of high rank c) If Danny leads a lonely life, rebuffed by cold service employees and even his mate on the assignment is a little snit. Then Noble, no matter how queasy, would be a breath of fresh air...

The other reason might be some homosexual undercurrent, but The Matador is quite coy about this and you don't really sense it between them much. That would have taken it down the Patricia Highsmith route (Strangers On A Train etc).

2) Also, once Danny finds out Noble is a hitman, you can't believe he'd want to stick around at all. It could happen, but I want to be persuaded.

3) Oh dear, Brosnan doesn't have much luck with directors. As with Tamorhi and Ratner, this film doesn't have much pace, it's just one scene after another, now here's another scene.

4) Nor with the weather. The sun didn't get on his face in the Bond flicks much, nor in The Tailor of Panama, The Thomas Crown Affair or After the Sunset (or whatever), nor here, despite being set in Mexico it seems mainly overcast.

I liked Brosnan's zany performance, the score which alternates between Desperate Housewives and the best Bond score Bond never had, and some of the amusing set-ups.

But it could have been superb.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    To Catch A Thief

I believe I've watched this before and posted on here, so I'll keep it short by saying;

Grace Kelly....... whhhhhooooooooaaaaa....! :x :x :x
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Dog Eat Dog!

Two killers, a deadly blonde, and a million in stolen cash, means death on a lust ridden island.

A bank-holdup gang escapes to a small deserted mediterranean island and meets the couple inhabiting it. It's ten little indians after that, with another group hot in pursuit. Who's got the money and who is the killer? Cameron Mitchell chews the scenery with tidbits like, "Drop the cannon, daddio" - along with Jayne Mansfield, in one of her final movies.

Black and white, with snappy, overripe dialogue, and a great jazz score. Supreme viewing pleasure.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I just watched A History of Violence.

Big fan of Ed Harris, I think he would make an excellent Bond villain. The film was surprisingly short, only an hour and a half. Ends pretty abrubtly with many questions still unanswered. Good fighting sequences and action. Some unnecesssary sexuality. Good, but could have been better.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I just watched Goldfinger and before that RoboCop and before THAT For Your Eyes Only!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2006
    I just watched Goldfinger and before that RoboCop and before THAT For Your Eyes Only!
    Great choices!! GF and FYEO are among my favorite Bond films while RoboCop is among my favorite action films (I'm a huge fan of action films).

The last film that I saw was Syrianna with George Clooney and Matt Damon. I really enjoyed it, although I have to say that it is nonetheless quite simplistic in parts and the film isn't as well structured as it could have been. The threads could have been tied together in a neater fashion.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Just watched The Legend of Zorro, which I enjoyed in spots, but was a somewhat uneven viewing experiance. At times the movie really generates some style and flair, especially when Zeta-Jones amd Banderas are together. They are great together and really save the move. The overly smart and clever 10 year old was a drag, just don't enjoy little kids who are always smarter than the adults. The action scenes never develop much suspense and the movie falls into broad humor at times. I found myself enjoying some parts and shaking my head at other parts.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    I tried to choke down Vertical Limit last night. It was so horrendous I had to stop halfway. Why didn't anyone warn me!?

Izabella Scorupco (Natalya Simonova) was in that one. I was thinking of seeing it, what was her part like in comparison to the rest? I'm also thinking of watching Reign of Fire , another Scorupco flick, has anyone seen that?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    I saw Werner Herzog's documentary, Grizzly Man. Hands down, one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. It's the story of Tim Treadwell, a dropout environmentalist who spent every summer in the Alaskan wilderness "protecting" grizzlies. . .until one of them ate him. Herzog uses Treadwell's own footage, showing him rhapsodizing over the beauty and gentleness of the bears--and all the while you know he's been devoured by one of them. A sobering look at what Tennyson called "nature red in tooth and claw."
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    V For Vendetta (2005)

Finally, the chance to see the film I had been following for over a year!

Overall it impressed me; based on a graphic novel and a comic released during the 80's, the film is set in London, after the third world war (which we, this time, lost). Britain is now a totalitarian society, and the United States ceases to be entirely. Controlling the British government is madman Chancellor Sutler (John Hurt), who gets concerned when a rebellious anti-hero known only as V (Hugo Weaving) blows up London landmark buildings. Dressed as Guy Fawkes, V plans to destroy the houses of parliament as part of his war against the oppressive regime. He teams up with unlikely ally Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman).

This film does not, as hinted in trailers, have a great deal of action; but where there is action, it's spectacular. Instead the film focuses on characters Evey and V, and their respective backgrounds and reasons for hating the government. V systematically goes about terminating all of the leaders of the government until he feels justice has been done. The V character is intriguing; well played by Hugo Weaving, even if his real face isn't seen at all! He's very knowledgable in all subjects, and unmatched in combat; Weaving portrays this well along with some nice comic touches here and there, as you become more familiar with the character. Portman is at her best, too. The supporting cast (full of Brits) all give good performances (Hurt and Stephen Fry really are great).

I really would recommend this one; I myself will have to go and see it again. It's not watered down by needless action or CGI; everything's done for a reason and it comes together extremely well. Has there ever been such a cool anti-hero as V?

Mark my words; this will develop a cult following over the coming years!

9.6/10
    The Constant Gardener on DVD.

This film should only be viewed as a companion piece with The Wild Geese! Both are about as simplistic as one another, actually, TCG put me off from the word go.

I Capture The Castle

Partly to see what Henry Cavill, recently mooted Bond, was like. Sort of looked right, but a bit of a snout, and without that 'star' quality. Voice timbre not too good, and that's Craig's main plus point.

Nice film, good to see Bill Nighy in a real role and not some cameo. About young kids in the 30s who rent a castle in Scotland with their disgraced genius writer dad who suffers writer's block, then two Yanks turn up who own the castle... and all the romantic and money complications that ensue, sort of Pride and Prejudice territory.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    Just watched Alien,Aliens,Alien3,Alien Resurrection and AVP all ***** 5 star films.Completely amazing one of the greatest if not the greatest horror Alien.An amazing action film Aliens.A great thriller Alien3 and Resurrection amazing.AVP great as well some amazing action scenes and a great fight.Who else thinks the same(there is even some really funny jokes.)
    Just watched Alien,Aliens,Alien3,Alien Resurrection and AVP all ***** 5 star films.Completely amazing one of the greatest if not the greatest horror Alien.An amazing action film Aliens.A great thriller Alien3 and Resurrection amazing.AVP great as well some amazing action scenes and a great fight.Who else thinks the same(there is even some really funny jokes.)

Agreed on Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 just about makes the grade, and Alien Resurrection is rather naff, to be honest. Alien Vs. Predator, however, is a crime against humanity!

You should watch Predator next. Fantastic. Predator 2 is alright, but doesn't really match up to the original. These two films do the predators justice, where AVP humiliated them.
  • somethingsomething Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    last film well there were two 1st The Life Aquatic which i would recomend to everyone,it has one of the best action scenes ever. Secondly North By Northwest, its a classic
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Well, I finally saw The Legend of Zorro. I went into it with my eyes open; I didn't expect it to be a good movie, but I thought, darn it all, maybe it will be at least an entertainingly dumb movie.

Was I ever wrong. It's just bad. Boring bad. A leaden middle section dedicated to Zorro's divorce and developing alcohol problem, coupled with his son's anger and frustration over his parents' divorce and especially over his absent father. For cryin' out loud, this is a freakin' Zorro movie, not The Squid and the Whale! (Which is, by the way, a very good movie about divorce and the ramifications thereof. . .but I digress.) Now I'm sure the Martin Campbell bashers on this site will gleefully blame Campbell and Campbell alone for the failure of this flick, but, to be fair, the greatest director in history working at his prime (think Hitchcock or John Ford or Kurasawa) couldn't make a silk purse out of this sow's butt of a script. The Bond ripoffs are shameless (any bets on how long the guy who wants no part of the villain's scheme will last?), and apparently none of the four screenwriters bothered to pick up a history book. If they had, they might have realized that in 1850 there was no such thing as a Confederate state, much less a Confederate army; and that the no-fault divorce didn't exist--not even in California. But the thing that completely scuttled the movie for me--the very same element that sent me shrieking from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and The Mummy Returns--was the presence of a spunky wiseass kid who gets to share in the adventure. For once, only a smiley can express my feelings on this matter:

X-(

Here's hoping--nay, praying--Campbell's next directorial effort is much, much better. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited March 2006
    Yes the script was pants but Campbell "loved" the script and had input before it ever started rolling.

Latino Review

"Latino Review: So how did The Legend of Zorro came about and why did it take so long?

Martin Campbell: Well first of all I think it was about 3 or 4 years we didn't discuss it all after the first film and then for the about the last 3 years we talked about it and then the problem was getting the script together that actually...to be honest we can make as good as the first one, that was the problem, was to find a story that we all were to sign off on that we can make as good as the first one otherwise there was no point in making it. Finally we got one, Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci wrote it and we all loved it and that's why we did it. "

But hey, he also "really liked" Beyond Borders thinking it unfaitly maligned. I wonder what he now thinks about Vertical Limit? Maybe Cat could tell us?

Seriously, I don't expect many directors, actors or writers to slag off the work they've done let alone the work they're currently promoting. Campbell could have needed a big film after Borders bombed and didn't care at that point what the script was like and lied though his teeth saying it was great when promoting it because that's his job. Or maybe he really does think it's good (!). What's most disturbing is that Sony supposedly pushed for Campbell to return to Bond on the strength of "Legend of Zorro". Did they really watch it? :#

MBE
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited March 2006
    I watched The Legend Of Zorro in the cinema with my brother and we both enjoyed it, and so did the rest of the audience that night.
    Perhaps the film is not to everyone's tastes, but I guess that can be said for everything. If we all like the same things, then Vegemite would be adored the world over, not just here in Australia.
    So, to surmise my post, you have to like Vegemite to like The Legend Of Zorro. :)
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Just got back from Inside Man. Great cast: Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, and former Bond hopeful Clive Owen. Great movie, a lot of surprises and laughs in store. Not your average bank robbery movie. Check it out. ;)
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    edited March 2006
    Anyone who isn't aware when the Confederacy formed and seceded, WTF - (1850!) :o should be ridden out of town on a rail Lucky Luke style. And if the writer is a US citizen, clean him off and do it again. But then maybe it was penned by the same team who sent Cage on an Easter Egg hunt for the Constitution.

I've heard that Inside Man was a very good movie though, but I have to say that I like Denzel better with hair!
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    edited March 2006
    Oh, Martin Campbell sure knows hthat the devil's in the details. While we can blame the writers for things like the 1850 Confideracy, but raising a 50-star flag(!) and showinga map with all 48 of the continentals states marked(!!) are just classic instances of the trademark carelessness. My cousin Fluffers is still in the hospital after our "drink when you spot the anachronism" contest got out of hand...
  • the golden gun guythe golden gun guy USAPosts: 102MI6 Agent
    The Matrix Revolutions not my favorite in the series but a good ending to a good trilogy
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,402Chief of Staff
    Watched Closerlast night. I knew what the story was about and I was expecting some tender, bittersweet drama played out between two couples - boy was I wrong ! It's almost violent in it's treatment of the main characters - and how they treat each other. Good strong performances all round - and some great costumes, nearly worn, by Natalie Portman ;)
    YNWA 97
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Just got back from Inside Man. Great cast: Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, and former Bond hopeful Clive Owen. Great movie, a lot of surprises and laughs in store. Not your average bank robbery movie. Check it out. ;)

Yeah, saw it last night. Good but flatters to decieve somehow. Owen is a sort of Nic Cage type, a warm-hearted Casper Troy. But ultimately I'm not sure what the point of the heist was, it was a feeling of letdown at the end. Good performances in a B-movie with pretensions. I mean, the cops do seem almost wilfully dumb at times.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:

Yeah, saw it last night. Good but flatters to decieve somehow. Owen is a sort of Nic Cage type, a warm-hearted Casper Troy. But ultimately I'm not sure what the point of the heist was, it was a feeling of letdown at the end. Good performances in a B-movie with pretensions. I mean, the cops do seem almost wilfully dumb at times.

Just got back from seeing this. I did enjoy it. Good performances from all concerned, especially Christopher Plummer who just fills the screen when he's on. Not quite sure what accent Owen was suppose to have though.

Quite amusing with some really good lines however, I can really do without the frenetic hand held camera work. It really makes me nauseous.
    Max

Depicting a young Hitler (Noah Wyler) after The Great War, struggling to be a great artist, encouraged by his Jewish mentor, Max (John Cusack).

Good stuff, interesting themes, and not meant to be taken entirely seriously. Accents all over the place, but never mind. At times the young Adolf recalled Withnail's dilemma: "I'm nearly 30 and I've got a sole flapping off my shoe!" type stuff!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited March 2006
    The Black Belly Of The Tarantula

With three Bond lovelies! Claudine Auger, Barbara Bouchet, and a 6 year pre-SPY Barbara Bach. WOw. A very well done giallo, I'd place it in the top five of the genre. Solid, well made, professional production. With a creepy Ennio Morricone score to boot.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    The Black Belly Of The Tarantula

With three Bond lovelies! Claudine Auger, Barbara Bouchet, and a 6 year pre-SPY Barbara Bach. WOw. A very well done giallo, I'd place it in the top five of the genre. Solid, well made, professional production. With a creepy Ennio Morricone score to boot.

Double Wow! Your post certainly got my attention, Alex. I only recently discovered that Claudine Auger and Barbara Bach appeared together in 'Un peu de soleil dans l'eau froide' (A Few Hours Of Sunlight) which was released in the same year (1971).
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Just watched Full Metal Jacket. I really like that movie. Have to add it to my movies to buy list.
    The Pianist

Well, can't really knock it I suppose. Covered similar ground to Schindler's List, the better film imo.

Narrative problem, as unusually we are meant to identify with the Jewish guy rather than the non-Jew who helps the downtrodden masses. However, he is almost purely passive, as indeed he has to be to avoid getting shot.

It's hard to relate to that for a whole movie. I think a French director would have been better, they have that bleak fatalism down pat, whereas a Westernised director always wants to make you say: "Hey, grab that machine gun off him! Make your escape!". It's a different cultural mode.

Roger Moore 1927-2017