Last film seen...

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    . . .But The Pianist is also a true story of a man who existed on the very fringes of the Holocaust--he survived his experiences and lived for decades afterward, so I'm not sure "bleak fatalism" is called for. As it is, the film is very ambivalent about Adrien Brody's character: you don't know if you should admire him for surviving or feel contempt for him because he glides over what is happening to his friends and family. BTW, Polanski draws on his own memories and experiences, having lived in secret in the Polish countryside while his mother perished in Auschwitz. (Oh, and he lives in France and has made plenty of French movies, so perhaps he counts AS French?)

Anyway, last night I saw Bubble, Steven Soderberg's experimental film. Shot on video, released on DVD at the same time it premiered in theaters and on cable, and starring a cast of amateurs (the "leading lady" left her job at KFC, where she worked for 24 years, to take the part) from the West Virginia town where it's shot; it's often impressive, but too often clunky and amateurish, begging the question of why a big name Hollywood director would bother.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    V For Vendetta
    Think of Batman, but with a purpose. But that's not the only thing to this film. There are many different skews to this amazing storyline, which finally proves that a comic book/graphic novel can tell a purposeful story!
    Hugo Weaving is brilliant as V, Natalie Portman (who easily has the largest role of the film) is just as good if not better, and they are supported by a stellar cast including John Hurt and Stephen Fry.
    Two thumbs and two big toes up!
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Just watched Tora! Tora! Tora!.
    Its more like a documentary than most war movies, but it tells the story of December 7 1941 far better than Pearl Harbour. Also all the air sequences are for real, not CG. Was most impressed. :)
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    'Some Voices' a low budget British film starring veteran comedy,I mean character,actor Daniel Craig.A dull,muddled film that never quite works in any department.Kelly Macdonald is very attractive but not a great actress and David Morrissey struggles almost as much as Daniel Craig with a London accent.
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    Just watched Alien,Aliens,Alien3,Alien Resurrection and AVP all ***** 5 star films.Completely amazing one of the greatest if not the greatest horror Alien.An amazing action film Aliens.A great thriller Alien3 and Resurrection amazing.AVP great as well some amazing action scenes and a great fight.Who else thinks the same(there is even some really funny jokes.)

Agreed on Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 just about makes the grade, and Alien Resurrection is rather naff, to be honest. Alien Vs. Predator, however, is a crime against humanity!

You should watch Predator next. Fantastic. Predator 2 is alright, but doesn't really match up to the original. These two films do the predators justice, where AVP humiliated them.

I do like Predator seen only the 1st 1 but I really enjoyed AVP and ressurection and if You're not sure about Alien3 see the Directors Cut.I Like AVP because it's comical.

By the Way WATCHMEN rumored check on the IMDb.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Peter Pan.

The live action version by PJ Hogan. Quality stuff but deadly dull. Like the Disney version in many ways, but without the jokes! Now imagine, say, Goldfinger without the jokes! Not such a good movie... no, I didn't see the point of it.

In Her Shoes.

A pretty good chick flick with Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz. Not bad at all, went on 10 mins too long but decent characterisation.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Hotel Rwanda with Don Cheadle. I had put off watching this film for the longest and last night I finally had free time to check it out.

Honestly, it was very moving and Cheadle gives a stirring performance as hotel manager and family man Paul Rusesabagina. I had no idea Nick Nolte and Joaquin Phoenix were in this as well. Now time to crunch down and check out Crash.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    The new King Kong.It's great for what it is and the special effects are absolutely outstanding--but I still prefer the original cast and the stop-motion Kong.
    edited April 2006
    Saints and Soldiers

WW2 movie set in December 1944, the Battle of the Bulge, in other words. You would have seen similar scenes in Band of Brothers, where they're holed up in the snowy forests.

Not bad, carries a Mormon (or really just Christian) message, which is a bit heavy handed, but it was funded by Mormons apparently (the film, not WW2 :)) ). Strange, mind, because a lot of WW2 movies do have their Christian moment in them - but only now it engenders that wary hmmm what's going-on-here type attitude, what with US religious fundamentalism on the increase.

Nice cinematography (sort of muted) but it's the old soldiers away from home bonding type dialogue, with one stereotype English RAF pilot caught up with our men (mind you, English sort of were stereotypes back then...) Turns into the pts of GoldenEye at the end, not terribly convincing.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    Firewall...

It's brilliant! Great storyline, great action, and the fact that Harrison Ford is in it, as his acting skills never fail to impress!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Firewall was neat, but I lost interest when the screenwriters relied on the tactical brainstorm of having the kidnappers kidnap the family dog along with the family :))

I, on the otherhand, recently subjected myself to watching Superman III after about twenty years. Other than Reeves enjoyable portrayal of a mean drunken Superman, there's not a whole lot to say for this film.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I swear to you that I've only seen all of twenty minutes of Supes 3 and that was twenty years ago. It lost my interest just that fast.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Anniversary

Where upon Miss Bette Davis dominates the story wholesale - destroying everyone who crosses her path with witty, precise, and deadly verbal cuts. (like MBE defending Brosnan) :D

It's a must have for Davis and Hammer fans alike. Highly recommended viewing. (And she also sports an eye patch!)
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    The Anniversary

Where upon Miss Bette Davis dominates the story wholesale - destroying everyone who crosses her path with witty, precise, and deadly verbal cuts. (like MBE defending Brosnan) :D

It's a must have for Davis and Hammer fans alike. Highly recommended viewing. (And she also sports an eye patch!)

:)) :)) :)) :))

MBE (I do not also sport an eye patch)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    Friday night the family and I went to see Ice Age The Meltdown. I enjoyed it, I found the parts with Scrat the acorn loving animal especially amusing and inventive.

Last night finally saw Narnia. I thought it was excellent. Wonderful story, well played by the young actors and wonderful CGI. Tilda Swinton, who I never heard of, was wonderful as the witch, menacing without overplaying the role. Everytime I see a movie with great CGI I wonder who was at the helm for DAD's CGI. Whoever it was, they should never work in this town again.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,462Chief of Staff
    WHITE NOISE, with Michael Keaton. Not bad, but does anyone else think it was too similar to DRAGONFLY, from a few years ago?
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Last film I watched was Mosquito Squadron (1968), which I found at WH Smith on DVD for 5 pounds.
    I though it was quite good, although a rehash of 633 Squadron which preceded Mosquito by four years. Much of the same footage was used, but the story was quite different. Featured David McCallum (The Man from U.N.C.L.E and The Great Escape) in the lead role.
    Also featured Charles Gray (YOLT and DAF) and Vladek Sheybal (FRWL and CR).
    As I said, it was slightly less enjoyable because it re-used 633's footage of Mosquito fighter bombers, but the film is good in its own right. Not quite as good as its predecessor though.
  • ant007ukant007uk Great BritainPosts: 67MI6 Agent
    I watched LEON again last night for the umteenth time. This film is absolute class from the opening shot to the closing shot. Each character was cast perfectly, none more so than Gary Oldman. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Gary Oldman would make a brilliant Bond villian.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Just finished TROY with orlando bloom and brad pitt. That movie wasn't very good. It is ver hard to watch brad be Achilles. However, I will say that the movie was well done and the bad guys are really fun to dislike.
    The Great Escape

Well, we've all seen it, but I watched in on widescreen DVD. Takes a while to get going, mind you, and with post-Holocaust movies, it's hard to get into the idea that these guys are risking their lives to escape when they could just sit the war out with no harm coming to them.
    It emphasises how the outbreak distracted the German army from D-Day, though of course, it didn't really take place at the same time as the landings and how would the PoWs have known of that anyway?
    As 50 British officers were executed, and only three made it out and across the border, I'm not being entirely facetious when I say it wasn't that great an escape.
    In a way it exemplifies that kind of English attitude, where legendary battles at Agincourt are in fact usually overturned within the next 15 years anyhow. It's fitting that the theme is used by England footie fans to celebrate some doomed World Cup bid, along with that tune from The Italian Job, they seem to forget that it's associated with doomed heroic ventures.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:
    Just finished TROY with orlando bloom and brad pitt. That movie wasn't very good. It is ver hard to watch brad be Achilles. However, I will say that the movie was well done and the bad guys are really fun to dislike.

Did you spot Julian Glover? He's pretty much the first man on screen.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:

Did you spot Julian Glover? He's pretty much the first man on screen.

Indeed, but not at first. I saw his name in the credits and then went back and watched him in the beginning. he plays a king named Tropias I believe.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I recently watched Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Mainly for one reason. Can anyone guess what reason that is?
    I recently watched Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Mainly for one reason. Can anyone guess what reason that is?

"Ah, Venice!"

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    A wild guess here JennyFlexFan, but it couldn't have something to do with the presence of a certain Ms. Doody? :))
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Yes steelydan, you're correct. I'm sure it was hard for everybody to guess that one...
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    I've watched Highlander 3 times recently it is amasing. Weird the baddy is terrifying now he does the voice for Spongebobs boss.

Also watched the Princess Bride for the first time one of my fav films.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Mission Impossible Just finished watching this Tom Cruise film. I couldn't remember it being this good. Maybe because I didn't understand the plot the first time around. This time I understood it completly (I think). Now I can't wait until MI3 comes out. Maybe I should watch MI2 before I see MI3.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Ice Age 2 ... thoroughly enjoyed it.Preferred it ti IA 1 actually.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Just got back from Thank You for Smoking. Loved it--a smart, funny satire with an excellent cast. Go see it!
    Vox clamantis in deserto