Comments

• ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    Meh....I tend to dislike hyped movies :

LOTR
    Matrix
    Potter
    Blade films
    SW I-III (too much cash cow and not enough plot)

...they all disappointed me :(
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    I too dislike hyped films (that is, besides the Bond films), ohmss1969, but there are a few films on your list I do enjoy:
    LOTR (which were just as good as the books)
    The Matrix (only the first film, though!)
    Blade 2 (but 1 and 3 were par & sub-par respectively)
    As for Episodes 1-3 and the Harry Potter cash-fests, I can do without them thank you very much. Also, you can add on all of the recent "animated" films to that list too! (I have put the term "animated" in quotation marks, because as we all know, computer animation is not real animation).
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Ummm. . .I think we're getting a bit off-topic here. This is about the last film you saw, not your opinions about "hyped" films. But, to beg the question a bit, if movies aren't given some hype, then how are you to know they're even out there? Thank You for Smoking has gotten some hype and critical praise, and I liked it all the same. So there! :p
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Thank You For Smoking is Ivan Reitman's younger brother's debut film, and supposedly, he decided to go into a more subtle brand of humor then his big bro. (Ghostbusters, Stripes), - From what I've read thus far that sounds like something definitely worth seeing.

An intelligent - "read between the lines" comedy? Heck yeah! Where do I sign?
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Fun With Dick and Jane, I found it silly, but funny. I have to admit it had several big laughs in it, with a little social commentary added. Worth a DVD rental.
  • Dell DeatonDell Deaton Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Thank You For Smoking is Ivan Reitman's younger brother's debut film, and supposedly, he decided to go into a more subtle brand of humor then his big bro....

Interestingly, I just saw a preview for this film last weekend and said to my girlfriend we had to go see it (she's a former smoker). She said, "What? We never go out to see movies in the theater, except James Bond!"

Now that I think about it, that's true.

(Note to self: Something to bring up in our marital group discussion at church tonight.)
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Fun With Dick and Jane, I found it silly, but funny. I have to admit it had several big laughs in it, with a little social commentary added. Worth a DVD rental.

Barry! Do you know that the Fun With Dick and Jane DVD contains the first trailer for the James Bond DVD Collection? It's a must have! :p
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Jacob's Ladder....I needed a Silent Hill fix before Friday. That's as close as I could get.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    Watched Scary Movie 4. Easily the worst one yet. The last twenty minutes was pretty good.

V for Vendetta is definitely the best movie since The Matrix.

Reservoir Dogs was great, just watched it for the first time the other day! "Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?" Brilliant characterization in this movie.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Westworld

Enjoyable nonsense and almost certainly the inspiration for The Terminator.
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Watched Madagascar with two of my little cousins on Tuesday night. Quite an enjoyable film.
    Saw Crash on Showtime last night for the first time. Riveting food for thought even if some parts were a tad...overplayed. This pic reminded me of Magnolia in a lot of ways.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Memento What can I say about this movie. A great movie that you have to sit and watch and pay attention to. It doesn't have any mindless violence or useless explosions. And as far as I can tell the script is tight. I only noticed one editing mistake in the whole thing, but that doesn't matter. I highley recommend this Christopher Nolan film. The cast includes Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,402Chief of Staff
    Finally got around to watching Land Of The Dead - it's great to have Romero back :D Some nice comic moments in amongst the social commentry.

Not quite in the same league as his other ...Dead films, but good none-the-less.

Don't leave it so long between films next time, George !!
    YNWA 97
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    I just finished watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service, still my favorite. Then I watched The Assassination of Richard Nixon, which is a TREMENDOUS film. Sean Penn's best performance.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Just finished watching The Life of David Gale in my Rhetoric class. Yet another brilliant performace by Kevin Spacey. The film is about an innocent man on death row. As an advocate of the death penalty, I thought I was going to be annoyed by this film, but surprisingly I enjoyed it. A lot of suspense and susprises in store. Although it failed to change my position, I highly recommend this film. :)
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Saw Good Night and Good Luck. I would have to say I was somewhat disappointed. I think the movie could have delved deeper into the storyline of Joseph McCarthy and Edward R. Murrow. I felt like they just scratched the surface. What I saw was OK, I just wanted more.
    Sleeper... a good Woody Allen picture but not his best in my opinion...

• Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    Predator
    I watched it before and didn't remember it being that good it's a sci-fi classic to rival Alien,Alien&Alien3(not worth mentioning Ressurection and AVP because clearly it's better).

Letheal Weapon
    Amasing much better than I thought it would be.
    I love it and the oppisite , good cop/bad cop buddy/enemy.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    I most recently saw Inside Man and Belle de jour. Inside Man was very enjoyable but proved to be rather unsatisfactory at the end. Belle de jour is a terrific film, however has a rather odd ending. A surrealist film, Belle de jour featured the superb Catherine Deneuve. Inside Man also features a great cast including Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster (one of my favorite actresses), Christopher Plummer and Clive Owen (whom I would give anything for him to be Bond).
    I would recommend both films, however you may not love the ending to Inside Man.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Predator
    I watched it before and didn't remember it being that good it's a sci-fi classic to rival Alien,Alien&Alien3(not worth mentioning Ressurection and AVP because clearly it's better).

Letheal Weapon
    Amasing much better than I thought it would be.
    I love it and the oppisite , good cop/bad cop buddy/enemy.

Son of Barbel, GET TO THE CHOPPER!!!! LOL
    Yeah I just watched Predator last night and I hadn't forgotten how good it is cause it's one of my faves. I love classic Arnold action flicks, and I do a mean Arnold impersonation, so try to imagine that when I'm telling you to GET TO THE CHOPPER! DO IT NOW!

Before that, I saw 'Sideways' which is a terrific and intelligent adult comedy. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it, especially to anyone like myself who loves red wine. {[] I've toured wineries in California where the movie takes place, so I related to that, and it added to my enjoyment of the film. Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden-Church were both great IMO.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    'Capote.'

Quite an interesting film, and an eerily watchable performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman. For a kid who grew up seeing "In Cold Blood" on bookshelves in every store in town before finally reading it, this film makes a good companion piece.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    The Weather Man. It got mixed reviews and didn't do well at the box office, but I thought it was pretty good--excellent cast, led by Nic Cage, Michael Caine, and Hope Davis; good performances; and an intelligent script that manages to balance comedy and tragedy.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    The Weather Man. It got mixed reviews and didn't do well at the box office, but I thought it was pretty good--excellent cast, led by Nic Cage, Michael Caine, and Hope Davis; good performances; and an intelligent script that manages to balance comedy and tragedy.

I agree Hardyboy, I enjoyed The Weather Man also, even though I'm generally not a fan of Cage. Gotta look out for those Frosties and Big Gulps! :))
    edited April 2006
    The Day After Tomorrow

The Day After Tomorrow amasing SFX to end them all top performances.I saw the ice, wolves, hurricanes, cold breath (even that's SFX) and thought WOW!!!!!

Lethal Weapon 2

Lethal Weapon 2 not as good as the first (sequel very occassionally is). Dad's got 1, 2 & 4 so waiting for 3 till I watch 4.

Shrek(1)

Shrek I don't know why everyone says 2 is better. 1 is one of the funniest films I've ever seen.
    Hardyboy wrote:

I also saw The Weather Man and after seeing it I know why it didn't do well at the box office, one word "downer". Nick Cage is the unhappy weather man with a world full of troubles. Father dying, wife leaving him, son and daughter with problems and on top of it, every now and then someone throws fast food at him. Unlike Hardy I didn't see much humor, the performances were fine and it tries to have, if not an upbeat ending, perhaps an optimistic one. I think Hardy's "pretty good" appraisal was about right.
    Nicholas Cage is a great actor just usually gets offered rubbish.
    I just got back from seeing United 93. I guess the only words that can sum up my reaction are: My God. This isn't a movie to enjoy--in fact it can be downright painful--but it's definitely one to see. At times my stomach was so tightly clenched that I thought I'd be sick, and at the end a few people around me were crying. It's THAT intense.

During the first half of the movie, as the events of 9/11 are unfolding and you're watching air traffic controllers and civilian defense command trying to make sense of what's happening, you almost want to scream out, "It's NOT a highjacking! THIS is what's going on!" But, of course, you can't, and that's the point: no one knew what was happening until it was too late. So much for conspiracy theories. I also couldn't help but think about where I was and what I was doing at the exact moments the characters in the movie were learning what was happening.

In the second half, as the focus is more strongly put on the passengers and crew of United 93, you share in their desire to take back the cockpit and you want desperately for them to succeed. . .that you know they won't makes it all heartbreaking.

It was a brilliant move for Paul Greengrass to treat this like a straightforward documentary: there are no big-name stars (the most familiar would probably be Christian Clemenson, who was a regular on "Brisco County" and shows up on "Boston Legal" every now and then as the lawyer who doesn't move his hands), so you're not waiting for Matt Damon or Heath Ledger or whoever to go into action mode; and it's amazingly apolitical. No right-wing-rally-round-the-flag-boys trumpery; no left-wing-America-you-deserved-this handwringing. We don't know why the terrorists are doing what they're doing, or what motivates the passengers beyond a desire to fight back. We just know what happened.

My God.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    DIE HARD

The best action film of the eighties and a truly great villain in Hans Gruber.
    DIE HARD

The best action film of the eighties and a truly great villain in Hans Gruber.

I've always dreamed of Alan Rickman being a Bond Baddie one day...

Hans Gruber would've been more fitting a character in the 007 world and not DH.