Last film seen...

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    I just finished watching the four hour 1993 film Gettysburg. It was only $7.50 at my local Target, and being a very patriotic American, I just had to pick it up. The film focuses on the battle of Gettysburg, the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil, and takes us through such legendary actions as Little Round Top and Pickett's charge. Everything from the costumes to the muskets are authentic, and the battle scenes are fought on actual locations. The American Civil War was an unfortunate one, one in which friends and families were forced to fight against each other. The film plays off to this very nicely. You can't help but have respect for both sides as they are both undeniably Americans. The film stars such big names as Tom Berenger, Jeff Daniels, and Martin Sheen, although there are undoubtedly others. Even Bond alumni George Lazenby makes a cameo appearance as a Confederate General named Pettigrew, appearing for only about five minutes on screen. I highly recommend this film. It's filled with action, patriotism, and heroism. A great tribute to the men who fought preserving the United States.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    DIE HARD

The best action film of the eighties and a truly great villain in Hans Gruber.
    Make that, the best action film ever. ;)
    It is truly oustanding and is a film that will always occupy a special spot in my heart.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    Somehow it seems inappropriate going from Hardy's United 93 to Die Hard...

The Battle of Algiers

Classic French film of the early 60s, filmed in black and white documentary style. Very topical, as it deals with the terrorist bombings by the Muslim resistance in Algiers against the French colonial powers, and asks what is the moral reaction to dealing with such bombings... how far do you lean towards fascism to contain it, what new laws do you invoke?

It was on at London's Curzon Soho.

Edit: actually it's a joint Italian Algerian production, not French
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Midnight Cowboy.

I'm a real Johnny come lately, saw this for the 1st time recently and it has shot up to my top 10 all time fav movies. Actually this made me watch The Graduate and Lenny soon afterwards as well.

All great movies by the 'Method Man' himself Dustin Hoffman.
    Cool Hand Luke

Wardens at a hard but fair prison find their easy ways disrupted by the arrival of a sullen, boneheaded newcomer (played by Paul Newman).

Newman tries to goad them into a rage - one of his adventures leads to the tragic death of their beloved mutt, but he is unrepentant.

Eventually good triumphs over evil in the end.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Radio

Cuba Gooding Jr. plays a mentally retarded boy (nicknamed "Radio") in a small 1970s South Carolina town who gets "adopted" by a gruff high school football coach (Ed Harris) as the team's helper and mascot. Apparently based on a true story, this one is all feel-good. Even the bad things that happen to Radio are quickly eclipsed by love and happy endings. It was great for my kids, but as an adult I would have appreciated a more balanced and honest portrayal of the challenges this man faced and overcame.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS

What started out as an interesting concept somehow ended up as pretentious twaddle.

Very dull for a film with so much money and FX thrown at it.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Cool Hand Luke

Wardens at a hard but fair prison find their easy ways disrupted by the arrival of a sullen, boneheaded newcomer (played by Paul Newman).

Newman tries to goad them into a rage - one of his adventures leads to the tragic death of their beloved mutt, but he is unrepentant.

What we have here is failure to communicate. You went too far when you messed with the man with no eyes.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Lord of War, my second Nicholas Cage movie of the week. I didn't like it. Story doesn't have much of a narrative as Cage narrates much of the story. Essentially the story is of Cage's rise to the top of the gunning world while being chased by a Interpol agent played by Ethan Hawk. Many disturbing scenes from Africa, where chaos and War Lords rule the day. My main problem with the movie is it had no main compelling story line that grabbed my interest. Most of the movie felt like one short adventure after another.
    Plan 9 From Outer Space

The single greatest movie ever made.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    United 93

Saw this movie last night. It's not to be seen for entertainment value. It actually fills in the gaps of what was going on that horrific day. I like the fact it didn't have any big name stars. That made it seem more real and not so "Hollywood". As the movie was coming to an end you find yourself rooting for the victims of the flight, even though you know the outcome. After the movie finished I also sat and watched the credits and was surprised to see that about a handful of the groundcrew from that day appeared in the movie as themselves. If you do see this movie bring some tissue with you. You'll find yourself crying at the end.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Alex wrote:
    Cool Hand Luke

What we have here is failure to communicate. You went too far when you messed with the man with no eyes.

:)) :)) :)) Ah, I got a reaction from someone... actually I was only half-joking about that, I couldn't quite see what Luke was trying to achieve there really, goading his superiors... I couldn't follow the logic like I could with MacMurphy's character in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest . In a way, I reckon Elvis might have been better in that role too (and I'm not joking here) because Newman didn't seem to have that otherworldly quality. I didn't really see him as the self-sacrificing type...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    TOOTSIE

A pleasant,often funny film.I still can't believe the cast of that soap-opera actually thought Dustin Hoffman was a woman though.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    "Walk the Line"

I have an appreciation for Johnny Cash's music, while not a huge fan of country music, and I couldn't take my eyes off this film. Very entertaining and great performances all round. A good movie which I highly recommend.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Robin Hood: Men in tights...we were watching it in history class. It is quite a laugh and it had quite a few spoofs on other movies...
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    House Of Wax (2005)

Think Texas Chainsaw Massacre with even less of a story...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    The Pink Panther

The Pink Panther:Not Peter Sellers Steve Martin ***** A lol slapstick comedy (The cameos by Clive Owen , Jason Statham And even Jean Reno)loved it.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Treasure Island, 1950.

Pleasantly surprised by this classic Disney flick which I'd never seen before. It was funny in places, and was dotted with plenty of action including a great battle sequence on the island itself. Good performances from the British cast, particularly from Robert Newman, who IS Long John Silver; this being the absolute definitive portrayal of the character.

Amongst the cast was Geoffrey Keen, better known to us as Defence Minister Frederick Gray, in a very different role. He played a bearded, scruffy-looking murderous pirate who tries to kill young Jim Hawkins. He climbs up the mast after him, and even stabs the poor boy before being shot dead and falling into the sea. Was rather shocked to see it, actually!

Good film. 7.8/10
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Sky High

I took my son to see this last summer and think that I enjoyed it more than he did. On cable earlier than I thought but I'm compelled to watch it every time it's on.

Besides Kelly Preston's looks, which were already hot, have come a looooong way since she was in Space Camp... :D

We really need a drool smiley here...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Mission Impossible 3

Just came home from seeing this movie. It seemed different than the first two. It was more story driven.There are elements of the first two movies in there. There's also some cool gadgets. The story seems a little weak IMO and:
    The end isn't a cliffhanger, but it leaves you hanging by not telling you what the "Rabbits Foot" is
    Other than that, it's a decent movie.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    VERY ANNIE MARY

Rachael Griffiths is superb as an eccentric young welsh woman in a very charming and offbeat film.I never liked her much in Six Feet Under but she's great in this.
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    The first Ice Age last week on DVD with again, my little cousins (see my previous post in this topic!) I actually went to see this at the cinema when it came out, and really enjoyed it, but never watched it since. This time around not as enjoyable as I remembered, but still I could watch a lot worse films!
    My purchase arrived today and it was well worth the wait. This is undoubtedly one of the best non Bond movies I've ever had the good fortune to enjoy. - So after I scraped my jaw off the ground and shook my head to clear away the Tex Avery wolf impersonations, I thought I'd type a little on this handsome gem.

Deadlier Than The Male ... is without a doubt, an excellent film in the tradition of the sixties agent. Who is this Richard Johnson fellow, and why haven't I seen more of him? One terrific leading man and how I've always envisioned Fleming's 007.

DTM is better then Operation Kid Brother. It's better then the Matt Helm movies, it's better then Derek Flint, It stands out on it's own.

So if you want to see Elke Sommer and Sylva Koscina as professional assassins, wearing Largo frogmen style weight belts with knives at the waist as they tease male targets before eliminating them, not to metion Suzanna Leigh as the good girl and Nigel (the green Knight) Green as the villain. (Who employs Milton (Sandor) Reid as his henchman) and yet another veteran in George Pastell (Orient Express conductor in FRWL) as one of the aforementioned ill fated, check this gem out. You could do a whole lot worse. -{

I need a cold shower now. Sylva Koscina has melted my dvd player ....
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Memento

One of the most intriguing films I have watched in recent years. The film plays out backwards, but is so brilliantly edited that every scene explains the last, and adds another peice to the puzzle. It was also surprisingly easy to watch, and the strange structure had me hooked. Performances were also excellent, especially from Guy Pearce. Overall, definitely one of my favourite films!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    King Arthur ... Clive Owen was definitely miscast.
    Memento

One of the most intriguing films I have watched in recent years. The film plays out backwards, but is so brilliantly edited that every scene explains the last, and adds another peice to the puzzle. It was also surprisingly easy to watch, and the strange structure had me hooked. Performances were also excellent, especially from Guy Pearce. Overall, definitely one of my favourite films!

Memento is an interesting film.I wonder if the name of Guy Pearce ever surfaced in the recent hunt for a new Bond? I don't think there is anything Craig can do that Pearce can't.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Saw 'Zulu' for the first time last night. It was actually filmed quite close to where I live in areas that I know well, so it was quite interesting to look out for places I've been. It was also quite funny to see prominent South African politician Mangosuthu Buthelezi playing the part of King Cetshwayo. Great score by John Barry as well.
    A Perfect World

A Perfect World:A perfect film with a message.Powerful Performances by Clint(One of the best Actors/Directors) and Costner.
    Classic.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    The Family Stone - this is what I have to watch when I let my wife go to the video store. I hated it. A cliche filled movie that had scenes that I saw coming 5 minutes before they happened. To top off it off Luke Wilson was in the movie and if I never see another movie with a Wilson brother in it, that will be OK with me. Skip it, it's not worth your time.
    Trail and Son Of no not Frankenstein guess The Pink Panther.

Trail

Hmm bearable but no Sellers

Son

See Trail