Last film seen...

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    X-Men

This is he first time I've seen this movie. It was fun to watch. I didn't really know what was going on until it was explained later in the movie. I also didn't understand the ending. Why
    did Charles Xavier have Magneto in the plastic box? I know Magneto wasn't killled in the final fight. But I also thought they left him behind when the plane left
    If the answer ruins X-Men 2 please don't answer. I plan on watching X-2 very soon.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    The Da Vinci Code ... I enjoyed it. About 6 people walked out which surprised me but they were quite young - perhaps not enough action as such . Not quite sure why it got the hammering it did by the critics though.

( ... and there was no CR trailer which was disappointing :( )
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Viewed an oldie B production from the 50s, starring Linda (Va Va Voom) Christian, (she also played the Vesper character in the TV episode of CR)

Linda kept haunting this man's dreams as a beautiful but evil seductress. Apparently she was high priestess of an unholy cult, (is there any other kind) and needed a good strong virile male member, (don't think about it) ;)

The Devil's Hand - She's coming to getcha.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Alex wrote:
    Linda kept haunting this man's dreams as a beautiful but evil seductress. Apparently she was high priestess of an unholy cult, (is there any other kind) and needed a good strong virile male member, (don't think about it) ;).

:)) :)) :)) :))

Too late.

MBE
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Just got back from The Da Vinci Code. Nowhere near as bad as some of the critics claimed, but hardly a great movie. The first hour or so is a leaden bore, and things don't perk up until Ian McKellan comes on the scene and adds some much-needed humor and spark. Other faults are the achingly long running time and the fact that half the time when Audrey Tatou (cute as ever) is speaking, I couldn't understand her.

I guess I'd give this about a ** 1/2. I thought the book was Crichtonesque--all action and expository dialogue--and it needed someone like Steven Spielberg to exploit its cinematic potential. I'm afraid Ron Howard just couldn't fit the bill.
    I actually enjoyed the first hour. But you're right about Tatou; I could hardly understand her. I actually went in with low expectations (every review that I read was negative) and so the only reason I saw it was the trailer, plus it was a chance to spend some time with my mother (who, unlike me, had read the novel which she quite enjoyed). I was quite suprised that I really enjoyed the film. It's not a great film by any stretch of the imagination; it's completely illogical in parts, it's corny and I didn't particularly love the religiosity at the end considering just how secular the film was (well, at least until the end).

I did love McKellan and while I was on the edge of my seat since the very start of the film, it's the knd of film which I haven't really thought about much since I saw it. Really fun, but forgettable.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry to kill the mood you guys took nearly 100 pages to set up, but the last film I saw was a rapper film called Pootie Tang. Goddman that movie was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it is because I don't rap, but this little fella by the name of "Pootie" (how cute) spends the whole movie finding some Rick James looking kind of belt. Oh yeah, how could i forget Chris Rock's performance in this: I normally likee Chris doing standup late night, but him as a cornstalk was pushing it! THen, Pootie speaks this unheard of language about wasatasadatay, you don't wnana know what I think that means. And, also, he gets drug into a shotgun wedding, and bails out leaving his friend to have the U-gly (pronounced You-gly) nasty homely looking girl to marry. SOme ethics for a fellow friend. I'd kill Pootie if he did that to me. And then, he is skatting in a nightclub with sporadic gyrations and NA-NA-NA's out of his mouth. Just how many times did he say, "I'm gonna sign your kitty on the runny twine." ????? ?:) This movie was depressing, and Wanda Sykes didn't really help. I'm not some white power guy, but I really do not co-incide with this film. Or the ugly guy dressed like Pootie at the end of the movie. However, the gangster whom covered himself in dirt was hillarious. But overall, this could have caused more mental damage than me being forced into seeing Brokeback Mountain.

NO, I don't recommend this film. How did this make the cut into theatres. Oh yes, and i lvoed that song hwere Pootie sanf on mute, wonderful, rhythmic stuff.

:o
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Finally saw DAREDEVIL.The people making this clearly had an understanding and affection for the character but the production did seem slightly rushed.The much maligned Ben Affleck is fine as Matt Murdock although I am convinced that he wears a wig...:o
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Had the opportunity (and a day off work!) to see a double-feature with my two sons. A good day. :)

"Cars"

Delightful (if predictable) Disney/Pixar fare. American audiences, particularly NASCAR fans, will have an especially good time. Nice subplot about Historic Route 66, and its being superceded by the Interstate system in the U.S. Highly recommended.

"X-Men: The Last Stand"

The lesser of the three films in the series, IMHO, but still very entertaining---more horrific and haunting than its predecessors, and good to see some turnover in the ranks of Xavier's students. Recommended---particularly for fans of the comic books; better prepare yourselves for some artistic licence...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • the golden gun guythe golden gun guy USAPosts: 102MI6 Agent
    Last night I rented Collateral which was WAY beyond expectation, and I just saw cars a few hours ago with my family, it was good but it's a kid movie
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    I finally took in X-men: The Last Stand. On the whole, I liked it--there were a couple of dynamite action scenes and a few enjoyable new characters--but it's easily the least of the three films. It didn't advance the characters too much (so, has Wolverine just dropped the idea of finding out more about his past?) and too much seemed to be rehashed from the other films: instead of a drug that will turn people into mutants, there's now a drug to turn mutants into normal people; and there's an imprisoned super-mutant who is being used as the source for a cure. . . If there's to be a fourth film, I hope they come up with a better plot.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    X-Men 2 I enjoyed the second installment of the series. More than the first. We find out about Wolverines past, and are introduced to a few more mutants. Is it just me, or did anyone else think the opening sequence was Toad? Of course we find out later his name is Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler. There's just too much to write about in this movie. Now it's time to see X-Men 3.
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    My latest movie was Resident Evil: Apocalypse. It was ok. It was a lot like the first movie, where it gets exciting at the beginning and then the ending is corny. But it was better than the first one, at least.:)B-):)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Saw Munich last night, found it to be overly long and not well paced. The performances were fine, including Craig, although he did not have a lot to do. After a couple hours I found myself wondering how much longer the movie had to go, which is never a good sign.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Six Days, Seven Nights

I saw this one about seven or eight years ago with my girlfriend and mom, Enjoyable then and even more so now. I thought Harrison Ford and Anne Heche had excellent chemistry, with her displaying great timing to his deliveries. A very pleasant and feel good romantic comedy, where the actors are left to shine, ending up carrying the movie with an opposites attract story line. This could have entered repeated waters quite easily, if not for their terrific exchanges. The sparks were definitely flying. Great little film.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Watched Sean Connery in Meteor the other day. I would solidly classify this movie as a "stinker" -- which is a shame considering it had such an incredible cast which included Brian Keith and Martin Landeau (the typically brainy Landeau being incredibly mis-cast as a hard-line military man). You gotta love the weird notion of a space defense base quickly set up in an abandoned subway station fully stocked with a breakfast bar and pinball machines!
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited June 2006
    Just saw Kiss Kiss,Bang Bang.Very cleverly done,although possibly overdone in certain places.It's great to see the late Brett Halliday get some credit in a movie again.Maybe this film will create some new fans for his now classic Mike Shayne mystery novels--the basis for the "Johnny Gossamer" books shown in the flick.Speaking of which,the covers to those older paperbacks look very much like the work of Ed McGinnis,one of the artists responsible for those great painted James Bond movie posters of the 1960s and early 1970s.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Took the family and saw Cars, I enjoyed it, thought it started a little slow and then finished strong. I thought the humor was more adult oriented, so if you have very young children, don't know if this movie is for them. As Loeffs said in his review, it is a nice story of redemption. Stick around for the credits, they have some laughs and as with all Pixar movies, the main title is preceded by a short film, in this case "One Man Band" is the title and it is very good.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Last film I saw was The Gods Must Be Crazy.

I just love it. I saw it as a young child in South Africa, and it turns out that it is one of those movies that just gets better as you grow older. As a child, you laugh at the physical comedy, and the funny things the characters do. When you grow up, there are more laughs to be had now that you understand the funny quips as well!! I reccomend it to all who just want to have a laugh. It's fantastic. The sequel is good as well.
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Well, seeing as I haven't posted for a while I thought I'd make a post. I don't know what it is but I haven't enjoyed the movies that I watched recently as much as the last time I saw them.

Moonraker- Well, I was very, very surprised when watching this. Remembering that I really, really enjoyed watching it on TV two years, I almost didn't enjoy this at all really. Apart from the start, as the movie went on, I found myself agreeing with what the critics of the film have said, i.e. over the top, etc...Don't know whether it was because I wasn't in the mood or because of the time I watched it, I started it t 11.30 at night.

NSNA- I actually watched this a few days before Moonraker, I actually enjoyed it more. I hadn't seen it in two years and although it is not up to the standard of the official Bonds, I still had fun watching it.

Shaun of the Dead- I first watched this after Christmas 2004 and after watching it became one of my favourite films. Didn't laugh as much this time as I have seen it several times before but still an enjoyable hour and a half.

Indiana Jones, hadn't watched this one since last summer I think, and although I really liked it, I can really see what truly a great film it is now :)

Monty Python's Life of Brian- Now Holy Grail and this are two of my favourite films, so watching this was another enjoyable experience. Really funny and although it's meant to be a comedy, I would argue it holds its own against The Passion of the Christ in showing what a messiah had to put up with!

The Living Daylights- Well, it's my favourite film, not just of the Bonds, but all time so sitting down to watch this is always a nice experience :)
    X-Men 3 A good film, but not as good as the first two. I found some of the special effects were not needed. There some other small plot holes also, like Wolverines increased speed in healing from the two previous movies, just to name one. I was also surprised that they
    killed of Cyclops and Charles Xavier. Futher more I was shocked that Mystique lost her powers, along with Magneto
    I'm sure a fourth film will happen. But what direction will they go?
    edited June 2006
    I recently saw the new version of The Omen. I had seen the original version twice but this was the first time that I had seen the remake. I enjoyed it. I won't be revealing any anything by saying that it's virtually identical to the orginal (the last shot in both films, for example, are exactly the same) but it's been updated. In fact
    the updates even relate to the murders which are more spectacular than in the original.
    One of the problems for me, however was that because I've seen the original there were basically no suprises. That's not to say that there weren't moments which gave me a fright. There were, but the overall plot and the 'twist' ending weren't new for me.

I think that the original was far superior. Better acted, better written, more suprising, scarier, it was no masterpiece but was still IMO a much better film.

I think that if you're a horror fan, you should see 2006's The Omen, but don't go in expecting so see a great horror film. It's fun, but pretty forgettable.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    In the cinema;

X-Men 3: The Last Stand (2006)

An absolute blast from start to finish, and undeniably the most enjoyable film of the series (if not the most well-written or made). McKellen outshines his co-stars yet again, but it matters not! The battle at the film's conclusion is spectacular, and there are some real shocks along the way. Vinnie Jones' Juggernaut, Multiple Man, Angel and a few of the other characters are drastically under-used, however. 9.1/10

Poseidon (2006)

Good cast led by the likes of Kurt Russell (who, in my opinion, is the best in this film) and Richard Dreyfuss. It's a fine disaster movie with great sets and one or two little shocks. I don't think it was anything particularly special, but it's fun to watch the once in theatres. 7.3/10

The Omen (2006)

I expected more from this film. Arriving on opening night, I was hoping it would be much scarier. Rather than that we were given a film that made you feel uneasy throughout. It had good moments; a cast that could be described as competant at best. The better performances came from Pete Postelthwaite and Michael Gambon, both of whom weren't in it very much (though it could be argued that Gambon hammed it up far too much). Mia Farrow was good. Creepy moments, and the young chap playing Damien was pretty good. But to repeat, I think everyone expected more. 6.0/10

On DVD;

Serenity (2005)

Really you have to be a fan of the TV series Firefly (as I am) to completely connect with this film. Still, to the contemporary audience it would still be an enjoyable watch. A space-western sprinkled with comic touches here and there, and even some good drama squeezes its way into a film that is so magnificently well-written and put together. The unknown but well-cast actors are great as ever in their reprisals of their respective roles from the TV show. This goes particularly for the lead, Nathan Fillion. His dead-pan humour and absolute grit provides us with a likeable hero in Captain Reynolds.

Seriously, a fantastic watch from start to finish -- action, drama and suspense create what must have been one of the greatest (and most overlooked) films of 2005. 9.9/10

On TV:

Spy Game (2001)

Bah! Redford needs a haircut, and to drop those darned glasses for once and for all! I don't like Brad Pitt generally, and the film's continuous back-stories disturbed the potentially good main plot and made the film horribly tedious. I had to turn over before the film's conclusion. Apparently this film is a thriller -- can anyone explain to me why? 2.9/10
    Click

Just saw this on Tuesday. It's a very funny movie. It also has a very good message behind it. I'd recommend it, but might want to leave the younger kids at home. There is some gross adult humor, and a on-going joke involving a dog and big stuffed animal.
  • ElizabethElizabeth Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Red Eye
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Watched Superman Returns with a couple of friends yesterday. Not bad, as comic book movies go, but rather derivative, I thought.

I preferred the '78 film.

3.5/5
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    last film i went to see at the cinema was The Da Vinci Code, asnd the last oldie i saw was probably Dr No, i think
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,402Chief of Staff
    Just got around to watching Walk The Line. Superb performances all round, even more so when you realise that both Phoenix and Witherspoon sang their own parts. The only problem was that the film left me wanting more.
    YNWA 97
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Seen 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley' today, quite a good and interesting film.
    edited July 2006
    I just saw The Three Burials. A great and beautiful western, it featured a fantastic performance from Tommy Lee Jones.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited July 2006
    I picked up The Matador today on DVD (only $15). Very entertaining movie with a lot of good laughs, some nice twists and some very good acting by Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear. In particular, Brosnan really sheds his James Bond persona and shows some very good range.

With all this talk of Daniel Craig being a grittier and more amvivalent Bond, I found it very amusing seeing Brosnan work that angle so effortlessly here. Pity the Bond producers could not see past his good looks and ability to deliver the one liners.

Good movie and very recommended.