Last film seen...

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Saw It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World last night. Tony had this listed in his top movies list and I had heard a lot of positive things about it, so I thought I would check it out.

For one thing it is the longest comedy I have ever seen, the DVD version I saw even had an intermission period. I found the movie to be very funny in parts and at other times rather loud. The stunt work for a movie made in 1963 was ahead of its time and the car chases are very inventive. The cast does a great job and director Stanley Kramer pulls it all together to create a very entertaining movie. A few bits of humor are politically incorrect, but not overtly offensive. I have seen a lot a movies with annoying mother-in-laws, but the mother-in-law in this movie takes the cake. I was really hoping someone would punch her in the mouth.

Now you've done it Barry ... "Watch out for the bulls! Lousy, stinkin bulls are everywhere!" ... I'm going to have that movie in my head all day ... "If you told me she was the star of a real crummy horror movie, I'd believe it" ... and I'll have to watch it when I get home tonight ... "You're not much good without that horrible mother in law of yours" ... Ethel Merman really was the mother-in-law from Hell ... "What's with the little girl's bicycle? What are you, some kind of a nut?" ... I really love that movie; they just don't make them like that anymore ... "You had to go wrap up the whole scene man". :)) :))
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    V For Vendetta I never got around to checking it out at theatres despite its brief run but wow...just wow. I rented it today and was pleasantly pleased.

I knew I shouldn't have ignored the comics when they were in stores back in the 80s... :#
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I watched Ghost World the other night. A very offbeat and enjoyable film with the always watchable Steve Buscemi. I also became the last person to see Lost In Translation and loved it. The film has a dreamy, jet-lagged air that you either fall for or don't. Great use of pop music too.
    I watched Ghost World the other night.

That's a pretty good comic by the way. I haven't seen the movie in quite a while though.

• MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    I watched Ghost World the other night. A very offbeat and enjoyable film with the always watchable Steve Buscemi. I also became the last person to see Lost In Translation and loved it. The film has a dreamy, jet-lagged air that you either fall for or don't. Great use of pop music too.

What a great description of Lost In Translation. That's exactly what it feels like.

As for It's A Mad Mad Mad World -- sometimes a little of that film goes a long way for me. Some parts are very funny and at other times it's so over the top and long I sometimes feel the urge to switch channels. But it has such a great collection of comedians and characters. Ethel Merman is indeed the mother in law from hell -- though she has some of the best lines and situations and Dick Shawn's "Mommy" stuff with her is priceless. (right up their with his beatnik Hitler in The Producers) No matter my mood in watching the film though, I always end up feeling sorry for Spencer Tracy. :(

MBE
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    V For Vendetta I never got around to checking it out at theatres despite its brief run but wow...just wow. I rented it today and was pleasantly pleased.

I knew I shouldn't have ignored the comics when they were in stores back in the 80s... :#

Alan Moore is a genius IMO. He has nothing to do with film adaptions of his work though does he?

I didn't know Ghost World was a comic. Thora Birch was an artist in the film I recall.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Alan Moore is a genius IMO. He has nothing to do with film adaptions of his work though does he?

I didn't know Ghost World was a comic. Thora Birch was an artist in the film I recall.

Yep, Arthur. The same comic to film...

And no, Moore has nothin to do with the movie adaptation but his print is all over this beautiful piece of work.

• 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Two happy enchanting movies filled with ponies and fairies....

The Killing Fields and Deer Hunter...I actually thought both were well done for war movies.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I just watched The Machinist with Christian Bale. What a creepy, confusing movie. I enjoyed it, but it was very out there. The "route 666" amusement park ride was just... haunting.
    I just watched The Machinist with Christian Bale. What a creepy, confusing movie. I enjoyed it, but it was very out there. The "route 666" amusement park ride was just... haunting.

That was an awesome movie, Night. I fully understood it and enjoyed it. Think of it as a poor man's Jacob's Ladder.

But of course you already know that I favor weirdness like this... ;%

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Curse Of The Crying Woman (La Maldicion De La Llorona)

Based on Mexican folklore, though every culture has a similiar story. The Crying Woman, or Weeping Woman, Woman in white, Wailing woman, lures children to watery graves.

Opted for Spanish with English subtitles, dripping with gothic atmosphere, classic Mexican horror in vain of Black Sunday
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited August 2006
    "The Matador"

I was returning a couple of rented video games on behalf of my sons today...and purchased a previously-viewed DVD copy of this one, sight unseen---based simply on my being a fan of ol' Brozzer, general good buzz about the picture (gotten both here and elsewhere)...and my overall faith in good karma.

Richard Shepard, who wrote and directed this one, had never had a "major release" before...but he somehow got this particular script to Irish Dreamtime, Brozzer's prodco...and lightning struck. I love a story like that---and that's before I put the DVD in to watch...

Once I put the DVD in...

WOW. Holy F*****g S**t. A great movie. IMHO, the best performance Pierce Brosnan has ever given. Kinnear was great, too...it's all good. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. No wonder Brozzer was so gung-ho about this material being the antidote to a tenure as Bond. Shepard's portrait of a burnt-out professional killer---and his weird connection with an ordinary couple, and their personal tragedy---is just f*****g brilliant.

I give them all a standing ovation. B-) B-) B-)

And, here's the best part: As I went to file the movie away into the 'crime picture' section of my DVD library, this picture slipped---alphabetically, and ironically---right after Layer Cake... :o :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited August 2006
    "The Matador"

I was returning a couple of rented video games on behalf of my sons today...and purchased a previously-viewed DVD copy of this one, sight unseen---based simply on my being a fan of ol' Brozzer, general good buzz about the picture (gotten both here and elsewhere)...and my overall faith in good karma.

Richard Shepard, who wrote and directed this one, had never had a "major release" before...but he somehow got this particular script to Irish Dreamtime, Brozzer's prodco...and lightning struck. I love a story like that---and that's before I put the DVD in to watch...

Once I put the DVD in...

WOW. Holy F*****g S**t. A great movie. IMHO, the best performance Pierce Brosnan has ever given. Kinnear was great, too...it's all good. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. No wonder Brozzer was so gung-ho about this material being the antidote to a tenure as Bond. Shepard's portrait of a burnt-out professional killer---and his weird connection with an ordinary couple, and their personal tragedy---is just f*****g brilliant.

And, here's the best part: As I went to file the movie away into the 'crime picture' section of my DVD library, this picture slipped---alphabetically, and ironically---right after Layer Cake... :o :D

But that means your crime section does not include The Long Good Friday. What crime section is complete without it? Especially with it's new Anchor Bay Explosive (and Bob Hoskins is the definition of explosive in this film) Edition? ;) It's the seminal British crime flick.

Shepard's success story with The Matador is almost a Cinderella story for writers isn't it? He sends this as a writing sample to try and get another job writing and then gets a call from Pierce that he wants to produce and act in it. "Overnight" success -- after 15 plus years of hard work.

MBE
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    MBE_ wrote:

But that means your crime section does not include The Long Good Friday.

Or The Little Mermaid[/i} :o
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    MBE_ wrote:

But that means your crime section does not include The Long Good Friday.

Or The Little Mermaid[/i} :o
    [/quote]

:))

True. Ursula the Sea Witch -- the ulitmate loan shark (er squid?) - scarier and more powerful than any crime lord or assassin. B-)

MBE
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    "The Matador"

Once I put the DVD in...

As I believe MBE mentioned somewhere in this thread, the icing on the cake in The Matador is the ending credit song, All the Things I Have Done by The Killers. Perfect.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

That was an awesome movie, Night. I fully understood it and enjoyed it. Think of it as a poor man's Jacob's Ladder.

But of course you already know that I favor weirdness like this... ;%

I'm so with you, a great movie. Bale was amazing, and once you finally start to understand what is going on, it makes you wonder if that could really ever happen.
    As I believe MBE mentioned somewhere in this thread, the icing on the cake in The Matador is the ending credit song, All the Things I Have Done by The Killers. Perfect.

You're so right, Barry. I love it when the perfect song is used at the perfect moment in a film---and the Killers, playing over that closing scene, is simply magnificent.

And MBE...thanks for the tip about "The Long Good Friday." I'll definitely look into it. Hoskins can do anything he wants to do...someday, he'd be a great Bond villain...
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    And MBE...thanks for the tip about "The Long Good Friday." I'll definitely look into it. Hoskins can do anything he wants to do...someday, he'd be a great Bond villain...

Loeffs ... I hope I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you haven't seen The Long Good Friday ?? Shame on you. Take a detention and watch it immediately! It is the mother of all British Gangster Movies
    Lady Rose wrote:

Loeffs ... I hope I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you haven't seen The Long Good Friday ?? Shame on you. Take a detention and watch it immediately! It is the mother of all British Gangster Movies

;% I'm afraid it's true. Doing a bit of research, I saw that it was made way back in 1980...that was the year I transitioned from high school into the military---including a two-year stint in Spain---and the only films we saw there filtered through the base theatre...

Still, no excuses. :# You Brits do know how to make a cracking good crime picture! When I see it, I'll review it here... {[]
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Still, no excuses. :# You Brits do know how to make a cracking good crime picture! When I see it, I'll review it here... {[]

If you like the genre you shouldn't be disappointed. Try and take in Sexy Beast as well if you haven't seen it. Ben Kingsley is unbelievable.
    Loved Sexy Beast. Another outstanding potential Bond villain in Sir Ben...
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Hey Loeffs, I just realized you need The Maltese Falcon in that section. Bogie and film noir, you can't beat it.
    Hey Loeffs, I just realized you need The Maltese Falcon in that section. Bogie and film noir, you can't beat it.

That one's in the Mystery/Drama section... ;) I reserve the 'crime section' for films which tell the story from the criminal's point of view...
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Tonight I watched Find Me Guilty. This tanked at the box office, but it really deserves a second chance on video and DVD. Sidney Lumet is back in fine form--this brings to mind Dog Day Afternoon and . . .And Justice for All--and Vin Diesel is surprisingly good in a non-musclebound role. Check it out!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • wakwak007wakwak007 Apopka, Fl.Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    Just finished watching V for Vendetta. Not bad, I'll have to watch it again later with the volume turned up louder (My daughter was asleep) to catch more of the dialogue.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I never knew the name of this, but it grabbed me the other day for some reason and then I simply had to see it through. It starred a blond Angelina Jolie and looked relatively recent. Anyhow, she plays a television reporter who experiences sort of a pre-midlife crisis.

The camera loved her, but her acting was impressive. And the social banter between her and the leading man was pretty hot. Gorgeous actress' such as Jolie tend to be underrated when it comes to acting skills, but she leads the onsreen presence and charisma department. If she didn't command such a hefty price I'd love to see her with Bond some day.

There I was, watching yet another romantic comedy-chick flick .. :o (but they are rather addictive)

Pass the tissues ;)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    16 Blocks

I loved it. I thought that Bruce Willis was terrific and I thought that it was a really exciting, very suspensful and a highly enjoyable action film.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Well, I finally got out to see The Da Vinci Code and I have to say I was very underwhelmed. I didn't enjoy the book that much, but I was curious about how it would translate into film. It seemed to me that Ron Howard (or Tom Hanks for that matter) didn't really put a whole lot of effort in this movie. The only one who really shined was Ian McKellen, but not enough to justify the film.

Pet peeves? For a film that deals with art and history, and takes place partly in the Louvre, it really failed to be visually interesting to me. My eyes never got a chance to enjoy the art or the architecture to make me feel I was really there.

And why is it necessary to have subtitles for the French dialogue when it's not important. I can see by Jean Reno's acting that he's angry...I don't need a translation to tell me.

I still laugh at the idea of a dying man at the beginning, running around painting clues in invisible ink, creating an anagram from Leonardo Da Vinci's name (in a second language no less) stripping himself naked, hiding his clothes, painting a pentacle on his chest, and then lying down in the sign of Da Vinci's Vetruvian Man. Yoiu'd think this guy was waiting his whole life for that moment!

And Tom Hanks had a memorable line when Sophie asked him "Do you have a photographic memory?"

"No," he replies, "but I kinda remember things that I see!"

brother! 8-)
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    I never knew the name of this, but it grabbed me the other day for some reason and then I simply had to see it through. It starred a blond Angelina Jolie and looked relatively recent. Anyhow, she plays a television reporter who experiences sort of a pre-midlife crisis.

The camera loved her, but her acting was impressive. And the social banter between her and the leading man was pretty hot. Gorgeous actress' such as Jolie tend to be underrated when it comes to acting skills, but she leads the onsreen presence and charisma department. If she didn't command such a hefty price I'd love to see her with Bond some day.

There I was, watching yet another romantic comedy-chick flick .. :o (but they are rather addictive)

Pass the tissues ;)

I just did a quick search for you. It looks like the movie is called Life or Something Like It
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope