Last film seen...

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Much appreciated, Mr. Martini, now I know what to rent next year. B-)

Blond Angelina = Smoking !
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Much appreciated, Mr. Martini, now I know what to rent next year. B-)

Blond Angelina = Smoking !

Ditto!!!...Not sure if i said this already, but I recently saw scoop with woody Allen...and of course, being set in england I learned proper english... :D

All in all it was pretty entertaining, but it was by no means his best film, but in some parts it was pretty entertaining. Overall, I would recomend it to those with an open sense of humor.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    I still laugh at the idea of a dying man at the beginning, running around painting clues in invisible ink, creating an anagram from Leonardo Da Vinci's name (in a second language no less) stripping himself naked, hiding his clothes, painting a pentacle on his chest, and then lying down in the sign of Da Vinci's Vetruvian Man. Yoiu'd think this guy was waiting his whole life for that moment!

:)) darenhat, I totally agree!! It seemed preposterous to me as well. Maybe in print it played out better, but on screen--ridiculous! I also thought the ending was rather corny and far fetched as well. All those town people coming out of the woodwork, like robots to catch a glimpse, at the exact same time. Please....
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Let's see if I can remember every film I watched recently.......Layer Cake, Fletch, Fletch Lives, The Living Daylights, The Wizard of Oz and Rocketeer.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Land Of The Dead

Not up to the standard set by Romero's previous entries but a million times better than Resident Evil and 28 Days Later. The sort of film you would probably have to watch twice to form a clear opinion.
    Agree with you on that, Arthur, I thought R Evil was pretty decent, but I just couldn't get why everybody raved about 28 Days Later. I saw Land of The Dead in the cinema and once later on DVD and enjoyed it, although it's not as good as his previous Zombie masterworks. Still a good film though, and a good way to spend a couple of hours.
    28 Days Later was a completely pointless riff on George Romero. Cheap, boring and badly acted with the worst ending ever. Danny Boyle is lucky he has Trainspotting on his CV. He's been living on the reputation of that film for over a decade.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It has no purpose other than to make you laugh, and it delivers!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It has no purpose other than to make you laugh, and it delivers!

Good to hear, HB. I'm going tomorrow to check it out myself. :)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,406Chief of Staff
    Watched 3 films from the recent past -

White Noise

Not much cop - high on promise, just doesn't deliver.

The Descent

The film certainly was - started low and just kept getting lower !

Hotel Rwanda

Great film, pity it was true. Fantastic performance, again, from Don Cheadle. Can't recommend this film highly enough.
    YNWA 97
  • largo_7largo_7 PalmyraPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

I agree, Will Ferrell can make me laugh like no other current actor! Shake and bake!
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    FIGHT CLUB.

This was my first time seeing it and I must say, It was one of the wierdest movies I've ever seen but I loved it!
    For anyone who has seen it; Did the twist blow you away as much as it did me?
    Team America: World Police

I don't think Thunderbirds will ever seem the same again.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Every once in a while I revisit Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and as always my mind has a real hard time accepting the idea that Robin Hood has a mullet and speaks with an American accent.

I will say that I feel director Kevin Reynolds redeemed himself with The Count of Monte Cristo.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Every once in a while I revisit Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and as always my mind has a real hard time accepting the idea that Robin Hood has a mullet and speaks with an American accent.

[/b].

Hmmmm. Funny you say that darenhat. The second I read your post a quote from another movie came into my head. The quote was something like "Unlike other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent". Of course we all know what movie this is. If not, the movie is Robin Hood: Men In Tights . An ok Mel Brooks film.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    I just got back from watching Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby this afternoon... HILARIOUS!

It's basically Anchorman taken up a few notches and Ferrel's best movie yet. If you don't laugh at the altercations between Bobby and his French, flamboyant nemesis, go get your pulse checked. :))

Nate And Hayes (who remembers this one?)

Tommy Lee Jones as the best pirate captain ever. This flick is loads of fun and never gets old. Mister Pease was also a riot.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,406Chief of Staff
    Scary Movie 3 - takes a while to get into it's stride, and the laughs, but it is quite funny.
    YNWA 97
    Ed Gein

The man who inspired Norman Bates and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Steve Railsback is very good as the hilarious grave robber/murderer.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes[\b]

Featuring the lovely Caroline Munro as the deceased Mrs. Phibes, this campy 70s horror B-movie classic is just fun to watch.
    Three Days Of The Condor. I never seem to tire watching this spy thriller. Max Von Sydow's character as the quiet hitman is just great.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest

Overall, not as impressive as the original. Lacked much of the fun and energy.

I liked the inclusion of Bootstrap Bill and Davy Jones (though Jones was made up of far too much CGI for my liking). Depp as good as ever - and Knightley, Jack Davenport and Kevin McNally were much improved -- still, Bloom was as weak as ever. Nice bit from Naomi Harris, not that I understood much of what she said. We also have a forgettable new villain in Tom Hollander. Another shame was that less was seen of Jonathan Pryce, who was a good addition in the original.

I know these films are fictional, but some bits were just silly - such as most of the big swordfight. The film was overly long, and really suffered because of Barbossa's absence. He really was the highlight of the first film, alongside Depp of course. Let's hope the third is better.

Just saw this today myself. I have to agree with everything you say above. I did understand some of what Naomi Harris said, but can't remember becuase the movie was that bad. The swordfight was horrible also. A three way swordfight? What were they thinking?
    In ending this movie was way to long, and very slow moving. I was actually fighting to keep my eyes open during parts of it. That has never happened during a movie before. I also stayed through the credits because I heard there was a small sequence after the credits rolled. IMO, don't waste your time. Unless it has something to do with part 3, but I highly, highly. highly doubt it. Maybe I should of seen something different.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Time Bandits

It's the Terry Gilliam film from 1981, fondly remembered although I do recall thinking it was not all that good at the time. It's about time-travelling dwaves who abscond with a kid called Kevin and show up in different historical eras. It owes a bit to The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and is the precursor to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

The main problem is that it shoots itself in the foot because the first two adventures, set in Napoleon's time and the Middle Ages, are very poor. The main figures, Napoleon (no relation!) and Robin Hood are played for laughs, by Ian Holm and John Cleese, but not very good laughs at that. Strangely it removes all the mystery and magic from the film. Tedious jokes about Napoleon's obsession with his height are very dreer.

The film picks up when Sean Connery makes an appearance. Though only a few years before NSNA, he looks like a different, younger man, virile not creaky. You could see him getting back into the Bond role from this... He looks younger and fitter... and more lively, too. From then on the film improves, though Sean's turn is short, because the main characters are more dignified and believable, rather than cartoons.

All in all though, I do think that other than Randall, the other dwarfs (or is it dwarves) didn't have their roles fleshed out enough...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Nomads starring Pierce Brosnan. Even after twenty years I still find this picture very, very weird yet I'm compelled to watch it each time it's on...

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Drive-In Double Feature night with my wife and sons tonight---a real, old-fashioned drive-in, under the stars...but you listen to the movies on your car's FM radio instead of the clunky old corded window speakers most members here never saw... ;% It was a grand time.

"Barnyard" and "Over The Hedge"

Nice, steady family fare. Both very funny in places, with all-star cast voice talent. I'd give the edge to "Hedge," but kids will enjoy both.

I love the fact that the main protagonist in "Barnyard" is a male cow---udders and all---and not a bull... ?:)

I'm getting a startling sense of my own advancing age... :o
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Thank You For Smoking
    I loved it. It's a terrific satire with a great central performance from Aaron Eckhart. A very funny film, it takes aim at most of the people involved with Tobacco (lobbyists, journalists, politicians, health groups etc..) and IMO to brilliant effect. I would very much recommend it.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    United 93
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Now how was that? I've been meaning to see that movie (United 93) but never got around to it.
    Last films I have seen are Flash Gordon, Gladiator and Tomorrow Never Dies. Flash and Gladiator come recommended from me, and I shouldn't have to recommend a Bond film on a Bond site! :))
    Now how was that? I've been meaning to see that movie (United 93) but never got around to it.
    The A&E Channel aired a documentary over the weekend. They played the film, then came the actual story. You'll have to see it for yourself. I can't rate this film as I would any other. But yes, please do watch it.