Last film seen...

Comments

• Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    An overt oral sex scene ('performed' as they say, on the woman, which is never very photogenic, like watching a pig search for truffles... :s )

Was this in The Queen?

No wonder it's popular.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Thansk L880 for highlighting that ... its just given me the biggest laugh of the day.
    I have never watched a pig search for truffles (nor, for that matter, have I watched someone else perform oral sex on a woman :s ), however I did find the comment ruddy hilarious. :D
    Was this in The Queen?

No wonder it's popular.
    Now *that* is a mental image I could do without!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Thansk L880 for highlighting that ... its just given me the biggest laugh of the day.
    I have never watched a pig search for truffles (nor, for that matter, have I watched someone else perform oral sex on a woman :s ), however I did find the comment ruddy hilarious. :D
    Was this in The Queen?

No wonder it's popular.
    Now *that* is a mental image I could do without!

This is all becoming very disturbing and I wont even begin to speculate as to why Prince Philip's pet name for the Queen is 'Cabbage' :o
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Just finished watching Little Miss Sunshine, an interesting little commedy. Basically the story of a disfunctional family on a road trip to a little kids beauty pagent. As you would suspect, many things go wrong and the family has to overcome many obstacles to reach their destination. What makes this a little different is the family dynamics, which are strained to say the least. Humorous and poignant I enjoyed the movie. However, how this received four Oscar nomination is beyond me. Receiving nomitions for performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Motion Picture of the Year
    and Original Screenplay, I would say only Abigail Breslin as supporting actress is deserved. Enjoyable movie, but not one of the best of the year.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Barry, this is weird. . .I watched Little Miss Sunshine myself tonight (I got it from NetFlix last week, before the Oscar nominations were announced--again, weird timing). It's an odd movie for sure--I kept thinking that if Todd Solondz were to remake National Lampoon's Vacation, it would look a lot like this movie. It is funny, though, and the cast is great--especially Alan Arkin and Steve Carell. As for why it got an Oscar nomination. . .I've stopped trying to figure out that bunch!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Barry and HB, I too have seen Little Miss Sunshine. I really enjoyed it and I thought that the ending was fantastic but I don't think it deserves to be nominated for Best Picture. IMO Alan Arkin however does deserve his nomination, as does Abigail Breslin. I thought those two actors were both superb.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    I definitely agree that Arkin is deserving of his nomination (for what it's worth--see below). From the time he first opened his mouth in his movie I was roaring with laughter. I also wouldn't have been disappointed to see some recognition for Steve Carell, who I think is turning into a brilliant deadpan comedian on the lines of Buster Keaton and Jack Benny. Also, re-reading what I wrote, I think it sounds a bit like I didn't like LMS. I enjoyed it very much--"odd" in this case is a very good thing--and I'll give it four stars when I return it to NetFlix.

As for the Oscar nominations--well, as the Nietzsche-loving Dwayne in the movie observes, life is just one beauty pageant after another. I'd add that this is quadruply true of the Oscars, which, when it comes right down to it, amount to just Hollywood patting itself on the back. I guess we should consider it extraordinary that they decided to nominate a comedy for anything at all!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I definitely agree that Arkin is deserving of his nomination (for what it's worth--see below). From the time he first opened his mouth in his movie I was roaring with laughter. I also wouldn't have been disappointed to see some recognition for Steve Carell, who I think is turning into a brilliant deadpan comedian on the lines of Buster Keaton and Jack Benny. Also, re-reading what I wrote, I think it sounds a bit like I didn't like LMS. I enjoyed it very much--"odd" in this case is a very good thing--and I'll give it four stars when I return it to NetFlix.

As for the Oscar nominations--well, as the Nietzsche-loving Dwayne in the movie observes, life is just one beauty pageant after another. I'd add that this is quadruply true of the Oscars, which, when it comes right down to it, amount to just Hollywood patting itself on the back. I guess we should consider it extraordinary that they decided to nominate a comedy for anything at all!

Good points Hardy, I too enjoyed the movie and laugh out loud several times. Comedies are seldom nominateds as you state, so it is nice to see one nominated. As I reflect on LMS I find myself often smiling, that is definitely a good thing.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    A couple of movies on Sky.

'Vampirella,' starring LTK bond girl Taliso Soto. She was trying to kill Roger Daltrey, as anybody forced to act alongside Roger Daltrey probably would try and do. Daltrey was playing a vampire rock star Dracula type git who was trying to, oh who cares. The important thing to know is that Soto spends most of the movie in a leather red bikini, therefore making 'Vampirella,' highly watchable.

'Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies,' an existential road movie about two young men searching for meaning in the modern world. Or it may have been a lowbrow comedy about breasts and getting high. Either way it was brilliant.
    Just came from seeing Babel. A beautifully shot, compelling movie that has three seemingly seperate stories that ultimately get tied together. All three story lines are depressing, so don't go expecting an upbeat story. The movie takes you to Morocco, Japan and Mexico with many beautiful locations. The score is wonderful and Adriana Barraza as an illegal Mexican nanny is deserving of her Oscar nominations. The movie is deserving of its Oscar nomination, however because of the downbeat story I won't be seeing it again.
    'A Battle of Wits,' Chinese period movie about a lone warrior, played by the great Andy Lau, who inspires a besieged city to defend itself against a vast army. I'd recommend it to anyone who liked the Jet Li movie, 'Hero.'
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Just came from seeing Babel. A beautifully shot, compelling movie that has three seemingly seperate stories that ultimately get tied together. All three story lines are depressing, so don't go expecting an upbeat story.
    Barry, although I disagree with your views on this film (I really didn't like it), I would argue that there are actually four storylines.
    The one with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the one with the farmer and his boys, the one with the Mexican nanny and the one with the Japanese girl.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Just came from seeing Babel. A beautifully shot, compelling movie that has three seemingly seperate stories that ultimately get tied together. All three story lines are depressing, so don't go expecting an upbeat story.
    Barry, although I disagree with your views on this film (I really didn't like it), I would argue that there are actually four storylines.
    The one with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the one with the farmer and his boys, the one with the Mexican nanny and the one with the Japanese girl.

Yea, you could say four story lines, I tied the Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett storyline in with the farmer and his boys, but I could agree that their are four story lines.
    'Rocky Balboa.' Daft, sentimental, manipulative tosh. I loved it.
    Earlier today I saw Pan's Labyrinth. This is one of those cases where words really fail me. Amazing. Incredible. Beautiful. Horrifying. They just don't do it justice. Guillermo del Toro really pulled out all the stops and delivered a downright brilliant movie, one that combines two kinds of horror--that found in Grimm Brothers fairy tales, and that associated with fascist brutality. You wind up understanding that human cruelty is always more terrible than anything that can be imagined in stories (though the eyeless "Pale Man" is bound to scare the living $#!& out of you), but that the terrifying stories help us to understand our own strengths. Also, the movie is visually fantastic, with incredible beauty and stomach-churning ugliness creating a weird harmony.

I'd also like to say that Sergi Lopez as Captain Vidal (who is also the Wicked Stepfather in this fairy tale) is the absolute personification of evil--monstrous brutality disguised under a smooth surface and a clean-pressed suit. If EON is looking for an ideal villain for the next Bond film, they need look no further!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    The Pursuit of Happyness.

Well, I saw some of it. Not all of it. If you know what I mean. ;) ;%

The parts I DID see were god awful. It dragged on so much. "Watch Will Smith search for a place to stay for one night. Watch him sell a medical device. Watch him solve a rubix cube. Rinse and repeat ad nauseam."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    I saw Pan's Labyrinth last night. Good, but didn't realise it was almost Schindler's List at some points, Nazis shooting innocent civilians at point blank range, Captain Von Trapp he was not. Not a happy film really. Most of it was Nazis and resistance fighters, maybe only 30 per cent the fantasy stuff.

Ironic, as I didn't want to take my sister to see Black Books, the Paul Verhoeven film about restistance in WW2, as it would be too violent. "I know" I thought "We'll see this dark fairy tale piece instead..."
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I watched Hoffa the other night, for the first time in many years. I have mixed feelings on this one. Danny DeVito is an overly bombastic director at times -- every scrap between labor and management is filmed as though it were the Battle of Troy, every heavy conversation takes place during the sunset with bizarre yellow skies in the background, and 1950/60's industrial scapes look like Tim Burton's Gotham City. Also, DeVito has the same absurd conceit as Woody Allen -- he makes himself a hot sexual commodity. :s

What saves this film, ultimately, is the incomparable Jack Nicholson. Covered in prosthetic face make-up like no other film he's been in, he presents Hoffa as a snarling, inspirational tough guy with a constant burr in his saddle. Maybe the portrayal is historically inaccurate, but it's so powerful, i found myself not caring.

You could do a lot worse than this one.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    White Noise 2: The Light

Judging by the arguably cheesy title and the simple fact that there was absolutely no need for a sequel to a somewhat below average film, I didn't go in with high expectations.

Note that this film has absolutely nothing to do (plot-wise) with the original. Abraham Dale's (Nathan Fillion) wife and son are killed right in front of him. Absolutely broken, and blaming himself - he tries to commit suicide, and has a near-death experience. When he wakes up, he finds that he can sense when someone is about to die, and eventually gets to work on saving them. But he soon makes a shocking discovery and realises that perhaps changing the course of history wasn't such a good idea.

Nathan Fillion carries the film well on his own, and is good at portraying an emotionally numb hero. His back up isn't too bad; though Sackhoff is a little annoying at the best of times - Craig Fairbrass was a good choice for his semi-villainous role.

To get straight to the problems; there are some unexpected (and completely unnecessary) shocks throughout the film. They appear to have little to do with the story and are simply there to catch the audience out. This is fair enough, but you get a sense that the filmmakers are simply trying too hard to scare you. There are a couple of sequences where Fillion's character is re-united with his family; but the way the director has chosen to show it is a little laughable (Fillion's character begins to float through a large portal towards a white light). Not very original. The film's ending could have been very strong if they'd cut off the final couple of minutes; I think you'll see what I mean.

But overall, the film is certainly worth the watch. Nathan Fillion succeeds in bringing us a character we care for, and makes the audience side with him. There is a lot of dramatic irony in the film which works very well at the climax, and there are a number of quite touching moments throughout.

To put it simply, White Noise 2 has far surpassed the original and despite a few drawbacks, is worth the price of the ticket.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Woody Allen in SLEEPER

Not one of his best IMO but quite memorable.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Woody Allen in SLEEPER

Oh, RA, I disagree. I think it IS one of his best. Absolutely hilarious film.
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Woody Allen in SLEEPER

Oh, RA, I disagree. I think it IS one of his best. Absolutely hilarious film.

Never said that it wasn't good but I could name at least five other early Allen films that eclipse this one.

TAKE THE MONEY & RUN

LOVE & DEATH

ANNIE HALL

BANANAS

PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM

Now these are hilarious. Sleeper starts off great and then sort of stalls out before it reaches the finish line.

To tell the truth I haven't seen most of those, and I also haven't seen Sleeper in years, but I distinctly remember loving it. Ill have to revisit it, and watch all those others.
    To tell the truth I haven't seen most of those, and I also haven't seen Sleeper in years, but I distinctly remember loving it. Ill have to revisit it, and watch all those others.

Also, give in account that Sleeper was more endearing for me when I was younger, Night. It just doesn't hold up as well as the others I've listed.

Check out BANANAS if you want a good laugh. :))

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

Also, give in account that Sleeper was more endearing for me when I was younger, Night. It just doesn't hold up as well as the others I've listed.

I love all of Woody Allen's movies from that period but, and maybe this is because of my preference for sci-fi, I tend to agree with Nightshooter that Sleeper ranks near the top. The movie has a ton of gags and I laugh pretty much all the way through it from start to finish.

I also really enjoy Stardust Memories, even though most people think its one of his weaker films.
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I love all of Woody Allen's movies from that period but, and maybe this is because of my preference for sci-fi, I tend to agree with Nightshooter that Sleeper ranks near the top. The movie has a ton of gags and I laugh pretty much all the way through it from start to finish.

I also really enjoy Stardust Memories, even though most people think its one of his weaker films.

Yeah, I figured the sci-fi subtext of this picture might sway YOU in that direction, Tony. :))

Woody Allen is my childhood idol when it comes to his 60s-70s films. My son is an admirer of him as well seeing that I use to rock him to sleep as a baby while watching my old Allen tapes. He likes Sleeper a tad more than I do.

Bananas ALWAYS, ALWAYS has me in stitches. :))

He was your idol? Hmm... interesting...
    edited January 2007
    He was your idol? Hmm... interesting...

Yeah, my wife thought so to knowing how I am or uh- used to be... :v :D

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'll always love Howard Cosell's scenes in Bananas; just absurdly brilliant: "Fielding Melish has a cut over the left eye!" :))

Rebels are we! Born to be free! Just like the fish in the sea! All together now...
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Rebels are we! Born to be free! Just like the fish in the sea! All together now...

:)) :)) :))

Ironically, Tony, did you know that Diane Keaton's character used that same line in SLEEPER? ;)

Bananas
    "how do you plead?"
    "Guilty...but with an explanation."

"From now on...the official language of San Marcos will be...Swedish! SILENCE!" :))