Last film seen...

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    The Descent. Sort of an odd movie--it starts out as a gritty and tense survivor story and then turns into a chicks-vs.-CHUDs bloodbath. Plenty of cheese, but good for what it is.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Ghost Rider starring Nicholas Cage.
    Director Mark Steven Johnson, or MSJ as he's known on the internet, delivers another Daredevil-esk performance behind the camera in bringing this iconic Marvel superhero to life.
    Nicholas Cage does a reasonable job as Johnny Blaze, and Eva Mendez provides enough eye candy for those teens who still prefer appearance over substance, but the film just seems to lack that something special.
    Ghost Rider was filmed in Bacchus Marsh, and at various locations throughout Melbourne (my home town) which was nice to see, and I have fond memories with my twin brother (who was PUMPED to see this film) walking through the streets out the front of "Johnny Blaze's house" (ie: a back alley right in the heart of the city).
    But that's about it really.
    The trailers for Rocky Balboa and Spider-Man 3 were entertaining, and I look forward to seeing those films.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Flags of Our Fathers

Clint Eastwood directed WWII movie telling the story of the servicemen who raised the flag over Iwo Jima. An image that is one of the most published pictures of the war. The story behind the picture and the servicemen who were involved is a compelling one and Eastwood does a good job telling it. The battle scenes are realistic and gruesome, Eastwood pulls no punches. The film received a couple Oscar sound nominations, which are deserved for the realistic battle scenes. EAstwood bounces back and forth from the battle itself and from the "Buy War Bonds" promotional tour the men were involved in after the story and picture were released. This makes for a sometimes confusing story line as we try to sort out the characters. That is a small complaint though as I really enjoyed the movie.
    I'm a massive Eastwood fan and I loved this film. :D I thought it was extremely powerful and some of the smaller moments to be quite sad. In less than a week I'll be seeing Letters from Iwo Jima. I can't wait!! :D {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    asio wrote:
    Ghost Rider starring Nicholas Cage. . .the film just seems to lack that something special.

Asio, you pretty well confirmed what I've suspected about the film. Its opening was delayed by more than half a year and it wasn't pre-screened for critics--both signs of a real stinkeroo. Also, the reviews on RottenTomatoes are pretty bad--it has a 24% rating now--but there's one gem from Phil Villereal of my once-hometown newspaper, Tucson's Arizona Daily Star:

"For years scientists have theorized that one day Nicolas Cage would overact so badly that his head would burst into flames. Now, with Ghost Rider, the phenomenon has finally come to pass."

:))
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    "For years scientists have theorized that one day Nicolas Cage would overact so badly that his head would burst into flames. Now, with Ghost Rider, the phenomenon has finally come to pass."

:))

Yes, I heard that all the cockroaches on the set of the film packed up and moved away before Nicholas Cage arrived.
    :D
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Tonight I watched another installment in what I'm calling "Daniel Craig Theater:" Archangel. Sort of like The Da Vinci Code with Stalin instead of Jesus and communists in place of the Catholic church. A bit on the absurd side, but still entertaining, and Dan is as intense as ever.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Sweetest Thing (mediocre at best)
    Bewitched (what a waste of time...snooooooooooooze fest :/
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,406Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Tonight I watched another installment in what I'm calling "Daniel Craig Theater:" Archangel. Sort of like The Da Vinci Code with Stalin instead of Jesus and communists in place of the Catholic church. A bit on the absurd side, but still entertaining, and Dan is as intense as ever.

Yea, Craig does a good job with Archangel and it's a decent enough piece of work. I remember watching this before Craig was seriously considered for Bond (by the press anyway) and thinking he could make a decent fist of the Bond role.
    Archangel is better appreciated if you've read the book, IMO anyway.
    YNWA 97
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I ordered Archangel awhile ago on Amazon simply because I loved the cover shot. The film didn't disappoint. I agree with Hardy that the plot was somewhat ridiculous, but Craig really carried the film and the film made Russia seem a truly scary place. Plus, I love when he starts making out with the woman in the elevator only to get away from the men watching him. Pure Bond.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    The Departed

Another Oscar nominated movie I can check off my list. A typical Martin Scorcese mob movie with an all star cast, set in Boston. The movie is marked by great perfromances from the whole cast. I thought Leanardo DiCaprio was especially good as an undercover cop working as part of Jack Nicholson's crew. The web of deceipt is deep and sometimes we aren't sure who is good and who is bad. I thought the movie dragged a little at about the 2/3rds point, but it does have a surprising and violent ending.

I am surprised that Mark Wahlberg received a Best Supporting Actor nod for his role as a Boston Police Officer. His screen time was limited and his character was a one note personality. His performance was nothing compared to Djimon Hounsou in Blood Diamond.

For my money the best movie I saw that was released last year was Blood Diamond.
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Last film I saw was Star Trek: First Contact. The best of all Star Trek films, IMO. The Borg travel back in time to stop humans making first contact with aliens back in 2063 (according to the Star Trek timeline). Humans had finally discovered warp drive and would usher in a new era for space travel, but that wouldn't happen if the Borg stopped the first warp flight from ever happening.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard and crew of the Enterprise follow the Borg back in time "to repair whatever damage they've done". While some of the crew set about repairing damage to the first warp ship, the Phoenix, on earth, the rest of the crew, led by Picard, come face to face with the Borg on the Enterprise.

Starring Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard, I think this is one of Stewart's finest on-screen performances. If you're a Star Trek fan, you wouldn't need my recommendations, you'd probably have already seen it about a dozen times or more. If you're not a Star Trek fan, but are interested in good sci-fi, this is it.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    'Seperate Lies,' with Tom Wilkinson and Rupert Everett. It's a little film, so small in fact that it's actually better suited to television. It's about a hit and run accident and the guilt it causes in those who know about it. It's well acted, but unremarkable.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Hot Fuzz (2007)
    Directed By: Edgar Wright

I walked away from the cinema today having watched one of the most astonishing films for years. Everyone in the cinema left feeling the same. An absolute masterpiece of comedy and action. The film just got better, and better as it progressed.

Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) is an immensly skilled Police Officer in London. So skilled, in fact, that his arrest rate is 400% higher than that of any other officer. His superiors (Bill Nighy, Steve Coogan and Martin Freeman) have had enough of him making the rest of the force look bad, and have him sent out to a remote country village called Sandford. In Sandford, there's virtually no crime at all, and Angel's efforts are laughed at by his boss (Jim Broadbent) and his colleagues.

But a series of deaths occur, and while the other officers wave them off as mere accidents, Angel is convinced something more sinister is going on. Prime suspect is the creepy owner of the local supermarket (played to perfection by our buddy Timothy Dalton). But other villagers equally as strange, including the Reverend (Raiders of the Lost Ark's Paul Freeman), Farmer Tom (Edward Woodward - The Wicker Man), and the local Doctor (Stuart Wilson - Mask of Zorro) are equally odd. There's more to these villagers than meets the eye...

The film's action-crammed climax is like nothing I've ever seen; I'll leave it to you to imagine what might happen. But none of the stellar cast is left out, I'll just say that!

I'd find it hard to believe that someone didn't enjoy this film, honestly. If you appreciate the cast, the humour and the mind-blowing action, you'll give it the same rating I have.

10/10, the highest rating I've given a film in this thread. I hear it may only be given a limited American release. If that's the case, it's a great shame. You HAVE to see it!
    'ANGEL-A,' on DVD. Another reason why director Luc Besson should return to making action thrillers.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Hot Fuzz (2007)
    Directed By: Edgar Wright

I walked away from the cinema today having watched one of the most astonishing films for years. Everyone in the cinema left feeling the same. An absolute masterpiece of comedy and action. The film just got better, and better as it progressed.

You really enjoyed it then General ;)

My review is a couple of pages back. I really enjoyed it as well.

I'm not sure if it will translate across the Atlantic, but then again, Shaun did.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    I've always had a soft spot for screwball romantic comedies from the 1960's and I got two good ones on DVD over the weekend:

Man's Favorite Sport
    Rock Hudson plays a fishing expert who's never been fishing in his life. Paula Prentiss is a ditzy entertainment coordinator that unwittingly enters him into her lodge's annual fishing competition. Much mayhem ensues. Norman Alden is great as Chief John "Screaming Eagle", an industrious indian who will sell anything to anyone.

Lover Come Back
    Rock Hudson and Doris Day play advertising agents for competing firms who are vying to land the account for VIP, a product that doesn't even exist. Tony Randall steals the show as Pete Ramsey, Rock Hudson's clueless boss.

Both movies are pretty much hilarious from start to finish and feature lots of witty writing and some really great performances.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Marie Antionette

Very nice visually, but seriously lacking substance. No real story or explainations. Pretentious and slow. Very strange casting and really not worth the 2 hours I wasted watching it.

I think Sophia Coppola is very overrated and also judging by her previous efforts, very much up her own @rse. I will not be watching anything else of hers again.

( and to think I had given her a second chance after ruining Godfather 3 !! )

next ....

A Good Life

As much as I try not to like Russell Crowe, I do find myself enjoying his films.

Whilst this is no LA Confidential, Gladiator or A Beautiful Mind it was a bit of light hearted nonsense which was easy on the brain. Simple and predictable. No great acting feats required here and in all honesty would have been more to Hugh Grants style than Russell Crowes.

Still, it was a lot more entertaining than Marie Antionette!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I've always had a soft spot for screwball romantic comedies from the 1960's and I got two good ones on DVD over the weekend:

Man's Favorite Sport
    Rock Hudson plays a fishing expert who's never been fishing in his life. Paula Prentiss is a ditzy entertainment coordinator that unwittingly enters him into her lodge's annual fishing competition. Much mayhem ensues. Norman Alden is great as Chief John "Screaming Eagle", an industrious indian who will sell anything to anyone.

Lover Come Back
    Rock Hudson and Doris Day play advertising agents for competing firms who are vying to land the account for VIP, a product that doesn't even exist. Tony Randall steals the show as Pete Ramsey, Rock Hudson's clueless boss.

Both movies are pretty much hilarious from start to finish and feature lots of witty writing and some really great performances.
    "This is a bee, and this is a drone." :D

Count me in as a sentimentalist who enjoys screwball comedies from the Go-Go decade. Lover Come Back is probably my second favorite from the Hudson/Day/Randall trifecta. (Send Me No Flowers would probably be one)

Caught a good one this weekend,

Take Her, She's Mine -- James Stewart plays the over protective father of Sandra Dee, who wishes to attend college in Paris, Audrey Meadows plays the wife while Stewart as the fish out of water is pretty hilarious, and of course there's plenty of gorgeous French ladies.

I've always really liked James Stewart anyway, so this doubled the enjoyment.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    STAR TREK 3: The Search For Spock.

Besides TWOK, one of the best installments in the ST series...at least to me.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,463Chief of Staff
    edited February 2007
    Billion Dollar Brain

The third of the Harry Palmer films. Michael Caine plays the working class anti-Bond hero, this time in a more Bond-style plot than usual. One of my favourite films, with a haunting score by Richard Rodney Bennett and an excellent cast (besides Caine, Karl Malden and Oscar Homolka stand out) directed by a less flamboyant than usual Ken Russell.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Nacho Libre

Jared Hess has once again crafted a bizarre comedy with characters that are inexplicably watchable. As my wife said "I'm laughing, but I'm not sure why!"

Not a big Jack Black fan, but his singing bits had me in hysterics.
    ‘Class of 1999 II- The Substitute.’

I love trash. Sequel to a movie I’ve never seen- check. Stars an actor with a proven track-record in no-budget straight-to-DVD movies-check. (Hello Sasha Mitchell, ‘Kickboxer 2’, 3 and 4) Nonsensical plot-check. (Killer android gets a job as a schoolteacher and when he says ‘class dismissed,’ he really means it.) I’d sooner watch crap like this than most of the movies that are up for Oscars. :D
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    John Drake wrote:
    ‘Class of 1999 II- The Substitute.’

I love trash. Sequel to a movie I’ve never seen- check. Stars an actor with a proven track-record in no-budget straight-to-DVD movies-check. (Hello Sasha Mitchell, ‘Kickboxer 2’, 3 and 4) Nonsensical plot-check. (Killer android gets a job as a schoolteacher and when he says ‘class dismissed,’ he really means it.) I’d sooner watch crap like this than most of the movies that are up for Oscars. :D

Gee. Just the title alone is a stinker!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Billion Dollar Brain

The third of the Harry Palmer films. Michael Caine plays the working class anti-Bond hero, this time in a more Bond-style plot than usual. One of my favourite films, with a haunting score by Richard Rodney Bennett and an excellent cast (besides Caine, Karl Malden and Oscar Homolka stand out) directed by a less flamboyant than usual Ken Russell.

I like the music, but it does go on a bit! They use it in just about every scene. Nice to look at, and it's unusual to see an action film in Scandinavia, but the area's stoical atmosphere does seem to weigh the film down imo. Caine looks great though. Isn't the climax a homage to a classic silent movie set on the ice?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,463Chief of Staff
    I like the music, but it does go on a bit! They use it in just about every scene. Nice to look at, and it's unusual to see an action film in Scandinavia, but the area's stoical atmosphere does seem to weigh the film down imo. Caine looks great though. Isn't the climax a homage to a classic silent movie set on the ice?

Yup, Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky- or so I'm told, never having seen that one. That climax isn't in the book, btw, which otherwise the film adheres to quite closely.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    The Prestige

I finally got to see this on DVD (for some reason it played in a very limited number of theaters in my area) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really can't say much about the plot for fear of spoilers but in case anybody is not familar with it, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman play competing magicians who go to ever more extreme lengths to one up each other and learn each other's secrets. I tried to know as little as possible about the movie before watching it, but I still guessed a few of the surprises at the end. Still, great performances by Bale, Michael Caine, David Bowie (who sounds eerily like Pierce Brosnan here) and especially Hugh Jackman, who goes to some very dark places with his portrayal of Angier. Another solid effort by Christopher Nolan, just the thing to start getting me pumped up for Batman: The Dark Knight.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    United 93

Powerful movie that tells the story of the only hijacked flight on 9/11 that did not reach its target due to the heroic passengers. Film received two Oscar niminations, Best Director and and Editing nomination. Not sure what to say other than an unbelievable story which makes for a great movie.
    edited February 2007
    Rocky Balboa
    Brilliant! On par with the pure quality and dramatic storyline of the first film!
    Whereas Rocky dealt with the contender who stood alongside the champion, Rocky Balboa is more about proving your worth, even when your family and life itself has knocked you down.
    Rocky Balboa is a must-see for any fan of the franchise, or for any middle-aged person who (wrongly) believes that their best years are behind them.
    The only fault that I could see was that at 102 minutes, the film was too short. I would have liked it to have been around 120 minutes or more.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    asio wrote:
    Rocky Balboa
    Brilliant! On par with the pure quality and dramatic storyline of the first film!
    Whereas Rocky dealt with the contender who stood alongside the champion, Rocky Balboa is more about proving your worth, even when your family and life itself has knocked you down.
    Rocky Balboa is a must-see for any fan of the franchise, or for any middle-aged person who (wrongly) believes that their best years are behind them.
    The only fault that I could see was that at 102 minutes, the film was too short. I would have liked it to have been around 120 minutes or more.
    Good news, the first one was definitely my favorite. There's something about the underdog running up those steps and "getting strong now" without an entourage in tow. I liked the bleakness and loner aspects of Rocky, and even though the sequels all have great bits, there can be no denying the original. I've definitely got to get off my duff and go see Rocky Balboa now.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    If rumours are to be believed Rambo IV is on the way too.