Last film seen...

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Hot Fuzz

Really dissapointing for me. Only laughed on a couple of occasions and really felt like just walking out near the end.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    'Uno Bianca.' A 2-part Italian TV movie based on real events. It's about two small-town cops who figure out the identities of a notorious gang carrying out a series of violent robberies. Their superiors don't believe them and they have to go it alone. Gripping stuff. It's brilliantly directed by Michele Soavi, who made the underrated horror movie 'Cemetary Man.'
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I saw Clerks today. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I think I did, but it was weird. Not what I'm used to. But Kevin Smith is hilarious.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    THE NUMBER 23

I'd give it a 6/10 for story and performance from Carey.
    Similar vein in strory to the last 3/4 psychological / mind game thrillers but justified no the less.
    'The Chumscrubber.' Somebody posted this movie on Youtube. It stars Jamie Bell from 'Billy Elliot,' and Ralph Fiennes, Carrie Ann-Moss and Camilla Bell. It's a bit 'American Beauty,' with a touch of 'Donnie Darko.' Don't think it ever came out in the UK, even on DVD, so it's worth watching if you like any of the above actors. It's quite funny. There's a link to the first part here if anybody fancies a look. There's 11 parts in all. Wouldn't surprise me if somebody involved with the film posted it on Youtube, just so it would get seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2YlT6TX_Ts
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    I just caught Bewitched on TV; this is the new remake with Nicole Kidman. Overall a pretty forgettable movie but Will Ferrell is his usual funny self (the scene where he breaks down in front of some trick or treaters cracked me up) and Steve Carrell has a small but hilarious part - he even does a great Paul Lynde imitation. Overall nothing great, but it killed 2 hours.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    You know, Tony, when I watched Bewitched I expected it to suck but I actually enjoyed it. It was bad, but in a good way. I mean, it is nothing great, but not nearly as bad as I had expected.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    s96024 wrote:
    Hot Fuzz

Really dissapointing for me. Only laughed on a couple of occasions and really felt like just walking out near the end.
    I too saw that. I have to say though that I really enjoyed it. I thought it was extremely funny at times, especially
    the scene in which the main character kicks the woman in the face. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    s96024 wrote:
    Hot Fuzz

I too saw that. I have to say though that I really enjoyed it. I thought it was extremely funny at times, especially
    the scene in which the main character kicks the woman in the face. :D

Indeed there were several lol moments. With the over the top gore. But not enough to keep my attention on the film. Not like borat where I barely stopped laughing.

I really need to be into a film if I watch it at teh cinema. I can't relax very easily. Maybe it would be more enjoyable as a film to see on dvd.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    I just saw 300. Man, what a manly movie! Mantastic, testosterific, scrotacular! It made me want to strip down to my loin cloth, give a war cry, and chop off something! Barring that, I'll have to down some brews with my buds, eat a steak, and pick a fight in a Hooter's. Booo-YAAHHHH!

That said, it's anything but dull. Over the top in terms of everything--acting, dialogue, violence, music, sound effects, probably what the caterers served up on the set. . . Hell, if you translated the dialogue into German and sung it you'd have Grand Opera. And any movie that annoys the Iranians has something going for it. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    "scrotacular"

What a word.
    'Number 23,' with Jim Carrey and the wonderful Virginia Madsen. Curious and curioser. It was entertaining, but I can't help thinking that whoever wrote it was a bit funny in the head.
    'Epic Movie.' Why? Why? Why? :s I only watched this because Crispin (son of Mr Wint) Glover is in it. Very funny he is too as a deranged Willy Wonka, inviting orphans into his factory so he can use them as ingredients. But unfortunately this is a small part of the movie. The rest of it is a crap parody of 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.'
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Two of my lady friends dragged me to the theater on Saturday to see Premonition starring Sandra Bullock. I had no personal intention of seeing this movie. The film itself is rather confusing as it's impossible to distinguish between reality and premonition. There was a bit of suspense at the very end, but the final scene before the credits got us all scratching our heads.

I'm still confused. :s

Don't rush out to see this one folks. :p
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    'Hannibal Rising.' I thought this had huge potential, essentially being a Hannibal Lector revenge movie. However its downbeat, rather than haunting. There are some good moments, but it doesn't quite hold together. And I never believed that this young man would grow up to be the character Anthony Hopkins played in his three films, or even Brian Cox in 'Manhunter.'
    I pretty much took the day off, and one of the things I did was see Zodiac. It's a good movie--well made (and amazingly bright and colorful, considering both the subject matter and the fact it's directed by David Fincher), well-acted, intelligent, and involving--but it would probably be better viewed on DVD. The film is long--about 2 hours, 45 minutes--and the time doesn't exactly zip along. The main problem is that the movie is very faithful to the facts: true to history, the trail of the killer grows cold early on (about an hour into the film), and from that point on Zodiac is largely about people asking questions, looking into leads, and sorting through papers--and also, true to history, it doesn't really come to a conclusion. It's worth seeing, but sitting in a theater for nearly three hours can be, well, murder.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I pretty much took the day off, and one of the things I did was see Zodiac. It's a good movie--well made (and amazingly bright and colorful, considering both the subject matter and the fact it's directed by David Fincher), well-acted, intelligent, and involving--but it would probably be better viewed on DVD. The film is long--about 2 hours, 45 minutes--and the time doesn't exactly zip along. The main problem is that the movie is very faithful to the facts: true to history, the trail of the killer grows cold early on (about an hour into the film), and from that point on Zodiac is largely about people asking questions, looking into leads, and sorting through papers--and also, true to history, it doesn't really come to a conclusion. It's worth seeing, but sitting in a theater for nearly three hours can be, well, murder.
    I hope you didn't spoil anything? :o :#
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    I hope you didn't spoil anything? :o :#

I don't think so--you can pretty well find the facts of the Zodiac case anywhere. And I didn't mention the names of the most likely suspects, which are the only possible spoilers in the movie.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    'Babel.' I found most of this film to be portentous and heavy-handed. Just because it takes itself seriously doesn't mean anybody else should. The exception was the part that takes place in Japan, which was wonderful. I kept longing for the action to return to Tokyo. Rinko Kikuchi, the actress playing a deaf mute girl was amazing.

rinko.jpg
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Rocky Balboa

For Rocky read Sly as the old Champ gets back in the ring for one more crack at the title. Nicely understated and very poignant at times, and wonderful nostalgic fun to hear that music one more time. Hats off to Sly for ending his series on a winning note.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Rocky Balboa

For Rocky read Sly as the old Champ gets back in the ring for one more crack at the title. Nicely understated and very poignant at times, and wonderful nostalgic fun to hear that music one more time. Hats off to Sly for ending his series on a winning note.

Couldn't agree more Arthur. I was pretty skeptical when I first heard about this film, but yet Sly did a great job of going back to what made the original Rocky movie so great. More of a character study than the other "superhero" sequals.

Definitely reminded me why Rocky is one of my favorite movie characters of my generation. :)
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent

It's a good 'un - wished it was 2 hours longer, over so quickly.

Bueatifully filmed - apart from the a few scenes of large creatures - the CGI was really seamless.
    My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Good for a couple of laughs.

District 13

Worth it for all the parkour/Free running. If you loved the opening scene of CR, you will appreciate this. Unfortunately it's a french film. I can't stand subtitles and although this is also dubbed, that niggles me as well. But well worth the watch anyway.

Black Hawk Down

Been quite a while since I had seen this and had actually forgotten most of the film. It's spot on in alot of senses and I really enjoyed it again. I am a real sucker for all that patriotic war stuff, even though i'm not American.
    s96024 wrote:

District 13

Worth it for all the parkour/Free running. If you loved the opening scene of CR, you will appreciate this. Unfortunately it's a french film. I can't stand subtitles and although this is also dubbed, that niggles me as well. But well worth the watch anyway.

Liked 'District 13' a lot.

‘Stranger than Fiction.’ It owes a lot to ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,’ but that’s no bad thing. Will Ferrell is endearing as the uptight IRS guy, who realises that he is the leading character in a novel being written by a reclusive writer. Emma Thompson finally manages to deliver a performance that for once, doesn’t make me want to run her over in my car.

There’s also a great moment when Ferrell sings Wreckless Eric’s ‘Whole Wide World’ to Maggie Gyllenahaal’s character, and she suddenly realises that he’s not such an ******* and practically takes a running jump at him. One of the more romantic scenes in recent years.
    I saw the trailer for that just now when watching my CR dvd. Looked quite interesting.
    'Beneath Still Waters,' a typically gory offering from Brian Yuzna. It's about this town that has been flooded for some reason. Then the dead begin to rise from the water for some reason. Then everybody in the nearest town has a mass orgy of debauchery for some reason. It wasn't that great, but I kept watching, for some reason.
    The Hills have eyes

Had this on dvd for ages and just hadn't got round to watching it. A real gore-fest and not for the faint hearted. I love the real over the top gore for some reason I find it hilarious. Think i'll be a bit quicker on the uptake with the sequel.

*** out of 5
  • La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    The Hills have eyes

Had this on dvd for ages and just hadn't got round to watching it. A real gore-fest and not for the faint hearted. I love the real over the top gore for some reason I find it hilarious. Think i'll be a bit quicker on the uptake with the sequel.

*** out of 5
    the original, or the remake? Either way, Both were great.

On the other hand:
    Turistas was hyped as a Hostel styled travel-horror film, but aside from both films featuring people on vacation, the similarities end right there. In a few words: Turistas sucked. The "horror" doesn't really start until the last third of the film, and even then it's sporadic at best. One disection, one hand-cleaving scene, on fall off of a cliff, three gunshot deaths (that's horror?) and a weak (compared to the goons in Hostel) braining scene, thrown in with a vague underwater chase scene, and more Brazilian stereotypes than... uh... something with alot of brazilian stereotypes (terrible at analogies, forgive me). STAY AWAY from Turistas.
    It was the remake. I hadn't even realised it was a remake. I will have to get hold of the original.
    edited April 2007
    American Pie : The Wedding

I absolutely loved this series up to this film. Seann William Scott is absolutely brilliant as usual. The gay dance is hilarious. Lot's of laughs to be had.