Last film seen...

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited June 2007
    Alex wrote:
    First two Godfathers.

Pretty interesting way they edited them for television. Was on Bravo the other night. Both films were combined with some stuff getting mixed around to make it one big movie.

Was this the version where the films were spliced together chronologically, beginning with the birth of Vito Andolini? If so, I could kick myself for missing it. This was originally aired on network TV back in the late '70's or early '80's, I think, and included bonus footage---namely, the whacking of Appolonia's murderer.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    First two Godfathers.

Pretty interesting way they edited them for television. Was on Bravo the other night. Both films were combined with some stuff getting mixed around to make it one big movie.

Was this the version where the films were spliced together chronologically, beginning with the birth of Vito Andolini? If so, I could kick myself for missing it. This was originally aired on network TV back in the late '70's or early '80's, I think, and included bonus footage---namely, the whacking of Appolonia's murderer.
    Yes! They did show Fabrizio's comeuppance, something I never recalled before.

Having seen these so many times, this chronological cut was a new experience. Still, there were a few things that I don't remember. Did the original's end credits play over Kay lighting candles in the church? Because that was another new one on me.
    Alex wrote:
    Having seen these so many times, this chronological cut was a new experience. Still, there were a few things that I don't remember. Did the original's end credits play over Kay lighting candles in the church? Because that was another new one on me.

There's the rub---I've never seen that version :# I've only read about it...and having read the novel---which depicts Michael's vengeance on Fabrizio---I've always yearned to see the chronological version.

Actually, I believe I've heard that the 'lighting candles bit' is in that cut...after all, that's how the book ended.*

* If I remember correctly; it's been twenty years since I've read it ;%
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I agree that Twelve is a fun film. I don't think its anywhere near as good as the first film, but I don't think it's nearly as terrible as alot of people say it is. I mean, I Seriously, I agree with you that the scene with Tess is terrific.

(David Tennant voice) You are not Dan Same. What have you done with him?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Having seen these so many times, this chronological cut was a new experience.

This is a fabulous way to watch The Godfather. I have this version in my box set. I love it.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Alex wrote:

This is a fabulous way to watch The Godfather. I have this version in my box set. I love it.

Hopefully only minimal footage of Godfather 3 is included. :)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Hopefully only minimal footage of Godfather 3 is included. :)

There's nothing from GF3, only parts I and II run chronologically. As Loeffs says, this version got its start as an "ABC Television Event" in the 1970's and was later released on LaserDisc as "The Godfather Saga". Another notable scene occurs near the beginning of the film as Don Corleone and his sons go visit the ailing Genco, who was the family's original consigliere. It's been years since I've seen it but if I recall correctly, that is the scene where Tom essentially inherits the title. I've never seen this on DVD but I'd snap it up pretty quickly if it ever became available.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Another notable scene occurs near the beginning of the film as Don Corleone and his sons go visit the ailing Genco, who was the family's original consigliere. It's been years since I've seen it but if I recall correctly, that is the scene where Tom essentially inherits the title. I've never seen this on DVD but I'd snap it up pretty quickly if it ever became available.
    I thought that seemed new.

It was touching, Genco's final request to the Godfather, - "stay with me, make a deal, or pull some strings with Death when he approaches." (I'm paraphrasing) That scene adds to Vito's characterization immensely. Brando's reply - "Do not be afraid of death" (more paraphrasing)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    I agree that Twelve is a fun film. I don't think its anywhere near as good as the first film, but I don't think it's nearly as terrible as alot of people say it is. I mean, I Seriously, I agree with you that the scene with Tess is terrific.
    (David Tennant voice) You are not Dan Same. What have you done with him?
    I have no idea what you mean. ?:) I'm not even going to pretend to understand why you edited my post the way you did. :)) If you're referring to the fact.. what are you referring to NP? ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited June 2007
    In regards to this complete version of The Godfather, a series that I completely adore with all my heart and soul, wouldn't it lessen its impact by showing it chronologically? By that, I mean, one thing that made the second film so amazing IMO was the contrast between the young Vito and the middle-aged Michael. Wouldn't showing Vito's childhood at the start of the film and then depicting Michael as Don wreck that?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    In regards to this complete version of The Godfather, a series that I completely adore with all my heart and soul, wouldn't it lessen its impact by showing it chronologically? By that, I mean, one thing that made the second film so amazing IMO was the contrast between the young Vito and the middle-aged Michael. Wouldn't showing Vito's childhood at the start of the film and then depicting Michael as Don wreck that?

You would think it would but it doesn't.I totally adore the chronological version with the added scenes. It makes the journey of the Corleone family complete. It shows the brilliance of the films that they can be altered so much and be equally as compelling.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

You would think it would but it doesn't.I totally adore the chronological version with the added scenes. It makes the journey of the Corleone family complete. It shows the brilliance of the films that they can be altered so much and be equally as compelling.

I'd agree with this as well; the story works equally well either way, whether we are witnessing the chronological history of an ultimately tragic family or Coppola's brilliantly twisted symmetry of Vito rising to power and Michael slowly destroying everyone and everything he holds dear. Both versions merit viewing.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    The Night of the Generals, 1967.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062038/#comment

It was on ITV4. It may pop up again in the next fortnight. I'd seen it on DVD in HMV, and it seemed odd. Set in WW2, a serial killer is on the loose in Nazi Poland while the war wages. An inspector is determined to find his suspect, who is a general, it seems.

Omar Sharif is the detective in uniform, while the generals mostly seem to be Peter O'Toole, Donald Pleasance and Charles Gray (the two Blofelds I mentioned on another thread). Acutally, it's odd to see the Blofelds together, as Gray is six foot four, a strapping man, while Pleaseance seems at least a foot shorter. No amount of plastic surgery could change make one into the other... :s

It's an engrossing film once you get over that all the Germans have English accents. Films were like that then... Huge cast, with Tom Courtney, Harry Andrews, Christopher Plummer in a short cameo as Rommell. Good to watch it one night and just unfold... it's compelling, and they do address the oddness of one murder being investigated by this zealous inspector when millions are being killed...

I recommend it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Four of Sergio Leone's classic Spaghetti Westerns have been released as special edition DVDs. The picture and sound have been remastered and the new anamorphic prints look amazing. My brother and I were watching them recently and the colors were so vibrant that my brother remarked it was like watching them for the first time. Each movie includes an audio commentary by Christopher Frayling and a second disc with documentaries and interviews and a wealth of other behind the scenes materials.

These are some of my favorite movies ever; I've seen each dozens of times and the still hold up beautifully. Fistful of Dollars redefined the western genre, For A Few Dollars More further refined the formula, and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a sprawling epic set against the Civil War. Duck You Sucker a/k/a A Fistful of Dynamite is an often overlooked gem with James Coburn and Rod Steiger getting mixed up with Pancho Villa's revolution in Mexico.

Highly recommended.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Well being off work today, I just watched E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldila which means fear of the afterlife or something like that. But the American title I believe is The Seven Doors Of Death.

A great little Italian horror film that I never tire of and is one of my favorite from the genre despite its quirks. I remember an ex-girlfriend of mine praising the movie Suspiria a great deal from her childhood only to find out that it got weaker for her with age upon us renting it. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Well being off work today, I just watched E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldila which means fear of the afterlife or something like that. But the American title I believe is The Seven Doors Of Death.

A great little Italian horror film that I never tire of and is one of my favorite from the genre despite its quirks.
    Good to see a fellow Fulci fan. I have this one under the better known title, The Beyond.
    Tony, does the new GBU retain the original mono track?

I hated the last "special addition" - (namely extra sound effects) And it seemed to me the score was fiddled with as well. I'll stick with the old disc if they simply carried the same thing over.
    Alex wrote:
    Tony, does the new GBU retain the original mono track?

I hated the last "special addition" - (namely extra sound effects) And it seemed to me the score was fiddled with as well. I'll stick with the old disc if they simply carried the same thing over.

I didn't buy the new GBU because I already have the one you mention. According to DVDTAlk.com the new version is unfortunately exactly the same as that special edition - right down to the extras. A lot of people complained about the omission of the mono track and the modification of some of the sound effects but Fox Home Video saw fit to simply repackage the previous release.

Personally, I didn't mind the changes all that much because I was getting to see a cut of the film that was closer to Leone's original vision. It was also a hoot to watch it in Italian for the first time.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Alex wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

A great little Italian horror film that I never tire of and is one of my favorite from the genre despite its quirks.
    Good to see a fellow Fulci fan. I have this one under the better known title, The Beyond.

It's good to know I'm not the only one. Fulci's body of work is awesome if not controversial... {[]
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    "The Professionals"

Starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode. Featuring Jack Palance as the villain...and Claudia Cardinale ( :x ) as the femme fatale...

A western set in the early 1900s, about four mercenaries hired to ride into Mexico and rescue a kidnapped hottie from a desperate bandito...

If you haven't seen it, give yourself a treat...
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Went with my wife and son to see Shrek 3, which hopefully will be the last Shrek. Of the three Shreks, this is the worst. Not many laughs and some perplexing plot developments and a life lesson that the writers pound in you. If you haven't seen it, wait for the DVD. This one made a lot of money so I am sure they will come out with #4, but I won't see it.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Paris J’ Taime. As in Paris the city, not Paris the heiress in jail. It’s an anthology of ten minute shorts dedicated to the French capital. Each segment is directed by a different director. There’s some big names here, including Alfonso Cuaron, Wes Craven, Gus Van Sant and Walter Salles. The quality is variable. Most are passable, some are awful, including one in which a mime artist finds his ideal partner, who unfortunately is not a serial killer with a chainsaw and a predilection for decapitating Marcel Marceau wannabe’s.

The standout is Alexander Payne’s ‘14th Arrondissement,' which sees a middle-aged American postal worker, on holiday on her own, cheerfully describing in broken French what is clearly a lonely life, but ending on a note of transcendence. Also good is the Coen Brothers segment which has a Parisian couple emphasizing their love by beating up Steve Buscemi in the Metro. Chris Doyle tells the story of a mysterious hair stylist visiting a Chinese salon and Oliver Assayas has a movie star (Maggie Gyllenhaal) having a strange encounter with a drug dealer.

It's worth seeing, but only on DVD, where you have the freedom to skip through the boring bits.
    edited June 2007
    I recently rewatched on TV The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. A brilliant, brilliant film, it is among my all-time favourite films. Extremely funny ("when you want to shoot, shoot, don't talk!"), very sad and exceedingly tragic, and featuring wonderful performances, superb direction, amazing shoot-outs, extraordinary cinematography and masterful music, it truly is a masterpiece. :D
    Goal 2

Ho-hum sequel to the first movie in which a young American immigrant signed for Newcastle United. Here he moves to Real Madrid only for his private life to unravel and affect his performances on the field. Rutger Hauer's in it. He deserves better.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Ocean's 13. thoroughly enjoyable. I think I shall go again.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Black Book

Paul Verhoeven returns to his native Holland and makes his best film in years. A WW2 drama that sees a young Jewish woman spying for the Dutch resistance, only to find that there are enemies amongst allies and vice versa. Carice Van Outen is stunning in the leading role.
    John Drake wrote:
    Black Book

Paul Verhoeven returns to his native Holland and makes his best film in years. A WW2 drama that sees a young Jewish woman spying for the Dutch resistance, only to find that there are enemies amongst allies and vice versa. Carice Van Outen is stunning in the leading role.
    Agreed, I'm a Verhoeven fan and this latest endeavor was simply terrific!
    edited June 2007
    Alex wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    Black Book

Agreed, I'm a Verhoeven fan and this latest endeavor was simply terrific!

I love Verhoeven's early work in Holland and his first few films in the US. I'm glad he's returned home though. I thought he'd lost his way in Hollywood in recent years. In fact Total Recall was the last US Verhoeven I really liked.
    edited June 2007
    An American Haunting

What a load of old tosh. Even the magnificent Donald Sutherland couldn't save this. It should have been so much better. It all seemed a bit amateurish.

The only consolation was James D'Arcy who was quite easy on the eyes - I may even have to look up Exorcist:The Beginning and start researching the young man :o !
    edited June 2007
    Dimension Films remake of Black Christmans. By-the-numbers slasher with with a female sorority being terrorised by a serial killer. Michelle Trachtenberg (from Buffy)and Lacey Sharbet (Party of Five ) are the only real names in the cast, though sadly it's the vapid blonde who gets to be the heroine.