Last film seen...

Comments

• Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Don't Say A Word

Not a bad film. We have Sean Bean and Famke Janssen, both very good.

8/10
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Red Eye

Fairly average. Not brilliant, not awful.

Cillian Murphy is a very interesting actor though.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Mr and Mrs Smith (the recent Pitt/Jolie effort - not the Hitchcock one)

Overall it was pretty flat. It set the stage for some laughs and FX. The filmmakers basically resigned themselves that it wasn't going to make any sense. I give a kudo to Brad Pitt...he has some pretty good comic timing.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Last night I took in Knocked Up. An eclectic movie, to be sure--part gross-out farce with enough locker room talk and potty humor to put all the American Pie movies to shame; part odd-couple romantic comedy; part serious examination of such adult issues as premarital sex, gender roles, and responsibilities in relationships. To add to the fun, there are also a couple of close-up shots of a crowning during labor. But somehow it all works, coming together as sweet and heatfelt. And then there's Katherine Heigl. . . :x Yum!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    The Last Castle

Saw this on TNT with my brother last night. Robert Redford is a disgraced general who has been stripped of his rank and sent to a military prison; James Gandolfini plays a sadistic colonel in charge of the prison. Redford's character basically bonds with the other prisoners, helps them to regain some of their dignity and, when one of the inmates is killed, leads a rebellion to have the colonel removed.

The plot is pretty flimsy, the characterizations are skewed to engender only the most basic of emotions (sympathy for the inmates, hatred for pretty much anyone in authority). It's also a little hard to swallow how every inmate could be inspired to improve himself so quickly. But the acting is top notch all around (Redford is especially likable here and Gandolfini is as far removed from Tony Soprano as you could get) and the story held my interest from start to end. Definitely a watchable and entertaining movie.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Metamorphosis

Fairly dire horror film with a trio of obnoxious American grad students encountering the vampire daughter of Elisabeth Bathory in Eastern Europe. Christopher Lambert turns up as their adversary, but even he must be wondering what he is doing in this.
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    Manhunter
    Good film with a great cast the only actors I think are better at the characters in Red Dragon are Hopkins and Anthony Heald. 7/10

Red Dragon
    Reasonable effort with the company that makes it not realising that they are milking the series now and a lot of characters seeming very thin. 6/10

Silence Of The Lambs
    I am typing this from the safety of behind my couch now. It is a great film though and I am in awe of it but my face will permanently look like this :o. 9/10
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    The Queen

I enjoyed it all around...and for the first few moments I was thinking 'How did they get Tony Blair to actually appear in this?' I don't know how the film was received in the UK, and I couldn't even begin to attest to the accuracy of it. Without these inhibitions, I was left with the simple enjoyment of watching solid performances and crisp writing. Love that line delivered to the Queen Mother about her funeral being the only one they've rehearsed!
    The Good German

Flawed and rather dull experiment by Steven Soderbergh to make a film using similar techniques to those made in the Forties. It's a movie set in Berlin after WWII has ended and the Aliies are dividing the city into zones. George Clooney is an American journalist assigned to the city, who finds himself tangling with Tobey Maguire's sleazy driver, and trying to save the life of his ex-girlfriend. It borrows from Casablanca and to a certain extent The Third Man, and though it mimics the style of those movies, it has none of their brilliance.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Shrek the Third

Enjoyable but not earth shattering. Not as good as the first two or so I'm told. Unbelievably I haven't seen either of the previous films so I cant compare :o

And carrying on with me Cillian Murphy season ...

28 Days Later

Unmistakably a Danny Boyle film and despite that,I enjoyed it. It was a little different from the usual Zombie nonsense you get. Not too gratuitous and no horror clichés in there . Great performances all round. I wouldn't rush out and recommend it though. I think it would only appeal to a particular taste. I wont bother with 28 Weeks Later.
    Shooter

An attempt to give Mark Whalberg a Bourne-style franchise. It's watchable enough and the action is fine, but it lacks that special something that made the Bourne Supremacy and for that matter CR, so good.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    "The Last King of Scotland"

Really, really good, IMRO. Forrest Whitaker is, of course, brilliant. The whole seduction of the young Scottish doctor into Amin's inner circle of advisors (!) comes off exceedingly well.

The underlying politics of the piece serve well in reminding us that our own governments are not infallible...quite the opposite, in fact...

And it was great to see the lovely Gillian Anderson looking so unkempt...and sweaty! :x ... :D

A very good movie. Not the 'feel-good' hit of the year...but well worth the ride.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Shrek the Third

Enjoyable but not earth shattering. Not as good as the first two or so I'm told. Unbelievably I haven't seen either of the previous films so I cant compare :o
    I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed this film. Although I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the brilliant first film, IMO it's a lot better than the second film, which I thought was quite ordinary. My advice is to see the first film, and forget about the second.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Election

Hong-Kong gangster film directed by the gifted Johnny To. It's about a power struggle between two Triads, over whom should be the next gang leader. One is quiet and business-like, the other a violent thug with a taste for the high-life and a tendency to draw attention to himself. It's an excellent, thoughtful movie, and it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up getting a US The Departed style remake. To has been called the new John Woo, but that does him no favours. To's films are far more interesting than the simple codes of honour and balletic action sequences that Woo trades in. I recommend his work highly, especially Running Out of Time and Fulltime Killer.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Yes, I saw Election, good stuff.

Tell No One.

This is a French thriller about a guy whose wife is snatched when they are skinny dipping on their own private land. She's found murdered, supposedly by a local serial killer. Flash forward eight years, and the husband becomes a suspect again when two bodies are dug up. The serial killer had never admitted to that particular killing.

Then the hubby receives emails which appear to be from his deseased wife...

Very intriguing premise and gripping performances. However, it lost me towards the end. Because the main incident (the wife's abduction) occurs very early in the film, there's no set-up. You learn more about the family as the film proceeds, and it all gets a bit 'too much information.' Usually the clues occur before the crime, not after, so you feel a bit cheated.

Ultimately I did find it quite implausible and incredible, the way the info piles on and we learn more about his wife's personal life. Still not sure about many details of it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    A couple of films from the Tartan Asia Extreme label.

Arang. Unoriginal Korean thriller that borrows heavily from other Eastern movies. There's a strong but troubled heroine, a ghostly figure with lank dark hair that covers her face, serial killers and a mournful tone, but all it does is remind you of other better movies, like Ringu.

Marebito is better. A paranoid middle-aged man discovers his own secret world under the Tokyo subway system. He brings a young woman he finds trapped there back to his apartment, but discovers that the only thing she feeds on is blood. Unfortunately towards the end, the film begins to over-explain what is happening, so that what had been ambiguous and strange, becomes rather obvious. Still worth it for the first hour though.
    edited July 2007
    "Blood Diamond"

I've become a fan of Ed Zwick's work---The Last Samurai was a good film (lousy ending notwithstanding)---and I wasn't disappointed by Blood; the Oscar nods with this one were all well-deserved.

Leo DiCaprio seems to be in the middle of an extraordinary run of pictures: his work with Scorsese (Gangs of New York, The Aviator and The Departed), and now Zwick's Blood Diamond. I thought he was remarkably good as a South African smuggler---an anti-hero with undiscovered goodness within him.

The other performances were all excellent: Djmoun Hounsou (sic, I'm sure ;% ), the kid who played his son...even Arnold (The Mummy) Vosloo, as DiCaprio's former military commander...but especially the incredible Jennifer Connolly :x ---who remains, very possibly, the most beautiful woman working in film today. She lights up every scene she's in...

The action was outstanding, the cinematography lush. My biggest gripe (if that's what it is) would be the rather extended coda in Act 3, and the standing ovation Solomon receives...which seems a bit contrived as a 'feel-good' tack-on---and seems to be rendered meaningless by the closing narrative captions.

Still, I highly recommend this one.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    "Blood Diamond"

I've become a fan of Ed Zwick's work---The Last Samurai was a good film (lousy ending notwithstanding)---and I wasn't disappointed by Blood.

Leo DiCaprio seems to be in the middle of an extraordinary run of pictures: his work with Scorsese (Gangs of New York, The Aviator and The Departed, and now Blood Diamond. I thought he was remarkably good as a South African smuggler---an anti-hero with undiscovered goodness within him.

The other performances were all excellent: Djmoun Hounsou (sic, I'm sure ;% ), the kid who played his son...even Arnold (The Mummy) Vosloo, as DiCaprio's former military commander...but especially the incredible Jennifer Connolly :x ---who remains, very possibly, the most beautiful woman working in film today. She lights up every scene she's in...

The action was outstanding, the cinematography lush. My biggest gripe (if that's what it is) would be the rather extended coda in Act 3, and the standing ovation Solomon receives...which seems a bit contrived as a 'feel-good' tack-on---and seems to be rendered meaningless by the closing narrative captions.

Still, I highly recommend this one.

Agree with everything you said Loeffs, especially the Jennifer Connerly part. Geez I wish she would be in a Bond film. Anyway, Blood Diamond was the best film I saw last year.

Ratatouille, which is getting great reviews on the schedule for this weekend.
    Agree with everything you said Loeffs, especially the Jennifer Connerly part. Geez I wish she would be in a Bond film. Anyway, Blood Diamond was the best film I saw last year.

Ratatouille, which is getting great reviews on the schedule for this weekend.

{[]

Ms. Connolly is breathtaking. It would be quite a coup to get her into a Bond; I predict she'd shoot straight to the top of my favourites list :x

My kids are dying to see Ratatouille. I won't be able to put them off for long :))
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Ratatouille - A wonderfully inventive film from the creative folks at Pixar. Pixar has created another classic, with the story of a rat with cooking talent who helps a cook without any talent become the greatest chef in Paris. The story is well told and compelling, the animation is wonderful and even the sound effects are inventive. The attention to detail that Pixar presents is noticeable in every shot. The movie is not a laugh riot, although it does have plenty of laughs. It is more an enjoyable life lesson which keeps you smiling through the film. The audience applauded at the end of the movie so I think the paying customers enoyed it.

The short "The Lifting" is also very funny and inventive.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I've just watched 'The last King of Scotland' and 'Blood Diamond' - both of which I missed during their cinema release, so I got them both on DVD last week.

Firstly, I watched 'Last King of Scotland', and I wasn't disappointed. Forest Whitaker delivers one of the best performances I have ever watched. He did so well portraying the huge range of emotions and moods, which changed rapidly throughout the picture. He was able to go from a charming man, to brutal killer in the blinking of an eye. He fully deserved the Academy Award for best actor. The supporting cast were all very good, and the film was tightly scripted and well paced. Ultimately, though, I felt that the film as a whole didn't quite live up to the brilliance of Whitaker's performance. However, it was beautifully filmed, the editing was fast paced and slick. Definitely worth a look.

Next came 'Blood Diamond', which I loved. Probably the best film I have seen recently, it was once again beautifully shot and edited, and the performances from all were stunning. I have ever been a huge fan of DiCaprio, but with some of the roles he has done in the last few years, he is certainly growing on me! I thought the best performances was from Djimon Hounsou, who I had only seen previously in 'Gladiator'. His performance is gut wrenching to watch. He is so determined to find his family and yet he is blighted at every step. The beautiful locations stand in sharp contrast to the horror of the civil war in Sierra Leone, and this only adds to the poiniancy of the piece - that a continent of such beauty is turned into a slaughter house because of the world's desire for its natural resources. The film was not only a fine action film, but a real eye opener as well.

There seems to be a trend at the moment for thrillers set in Africa, and long may it continue!!
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD

All I can say is McClane is back doing what he does best. If anything about this film seemed weak, I'd have to say that the computer geek subtext was abit much and I didn't feel a sense of dread from the main villian at all as opposed to his bad guy predesessors.

Not as good as DieHard/Vengence IMO but a really great popcorn adventure that has to be seen if only for its nostalgia of the supercop.

Also, I saw the movie trailer for the videogame assassin HITMAN. It looked good.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I'm dying (pardon the pun) to see it too Rogue! I was so worried it wouldn't be good after all these years, being a huge fan of the first 3.
    What number out of 10 would you give it?

And Loeff, I'm as anxious to see Ratatouille as your kids! :)) I'm glad Barry gave it the ol' thumbs up. :)
    edited July 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD
    I CAN NOT WAIT! :D I'm more excited about this film than any other film that has/will be released this year. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Haha :)) Jinx! We did it again Dan! See how much we agree on? :D
    edited July 2007
    Monique wrote:
    Haha :)) Jinx! We did it again Dan! See how much we agree on? :D
    :)) We do agree on alot of things; certainly the important things in life. :D

BTW, Monique, what was your favourite of the first three? The original?
    Yeah the original..but I gotta say, the second one ranks right up there...I love that one too.
    edited July 2007
    Monique wrote:
    I'm dying (pardon the pun) to see it too Rogue! I was so worried it wouldn't be good after all these years, being a huge fan of the first 3.
    What number out of 10 would you give it?

'Nique, I give it a clear 7.5/10. Most of my score goes to the performance of Willis and the awesome action sequences.
    The villians in this just reminded me too much of Under Siege 2... :s

As for what ranks higher in the DH films, I think that first one as tops goes without saying. DH/Vengeance is a very close second.

Monique wrote:
    Yeah the original..but I gotta say, the second one ranks right up there...I love that one too.
    Among the second two, I like them both equally. Certainly the final scene of Die Hard 2 is absolutely unbelievable.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    The villians in this just reminded me too much of Under Siege 2... :s
    Interesting. I actually loved Eric Bogosian in Under Siege 2, so for me, it's not a negative.

BWT, the last film that I saw (well, the third last as I recently saw DN and FRWL at the cinemas) was Knocked Up. I really enjoyed it, although I thought it lagged a little towards the middle. It's a very funny film with some really nice characters than one can't but help warm to.
    Dan Same wrote:
    Interesting. I actually loved Eric Bogosian in Under Siege 2, so for me, it's not a negative.

I can respect that, Dan but there is only so much one can do on a train. 8-)

Although cyber-terrorism, in the real world, may be a very threatening thought, it doesn't translate as very masculine on the silver screen when you're a bad guy wielding power from a laptop... :D