Last film seen...

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    In the U.S., Live Free or Die Hard earned $33.1 million at the box office, and was clobbered by Ratatouille, which made $47.2 million. A big-budget action film beaten by a computer animated kids' film? I didn't realize there was a movement out there to boycott Bruce Willis. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    In the U.S., Live Free or Die Hard earned $33.1 million at the box office, and was clobbered by Ratatouille, which made $47.2 million. A big-budget action film beaten by a computer animated kids' film? I didn't realize there was a movement out there to boycott Bruce Willis. . .

Yeah, H.B. I was puzzled by that myself but I told my son that I wanted to see Ratatouille a little more than he did.

I have heard from alot of people that the PG-13 rating of DH4 was a turn-off for them to go see. I just don't see how though...

A few more F-bombs is going to make that big a difference? ?:)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    What were the last 3 rated?

First penguins, now a cooking rat topping our favorites! There's got to be reason. I think we are all looking to escape!

It's funny you should mention that Rogue, I was watching CNBC and they were doing the grosses on all the summer movies, and they said the main thing that is keeping people away from certain releases is the rating. Anything PG-13 and higher are not doing as well commercially! I thought that brought more people in!!
    I think that all of the DH movies are rated R with the exception of 4.

The biggest whine that I have heard was the famous line McClane uses being "edited". No big deal really...

• MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Ohhhh..you were saying that they wanted the R rating! I got ya...I would prefer that too...but oh well.

Well.. "Yippee-ki-yay" doesn't quite have the same punch without the uh..former ending! :)
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Catch and Release.

Likeable comedy/drama starring Jennifer Garner and the excellent Timothy Olyphant. To be honest, it's not that funny, but it certainly has charm. I'm normally immune to this kind of film, but the appealing performances by the two leads make it worthwile.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

Yeah, H.B. I was puzzled by that myself but I told my son that I wanted to see Ratatouille a little more than he did.

I have heard from alot of people that the PG-13 rating of DH4 was a turn-off for them to go see. I just don't see how though...

A few more F-bombs is going to make that big a difference? ?:)

I just saw Live Free Or Die Hard earlier today. It was better than I thought it would be. While it did earn the PG-13 rating with the violence, it wasn't bloody violence like the first three, but it was more quick flash violence. What I mean by this is, it's a quick shot of a violent encounter, but doesn't get bloody. This wasn't so bad though. Bruce Willis was in full John McClane mode. I do hope for a unrated DVD release though.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Educating Rita

This is an updated My Fair Lady with Michael Caine in the Henry Higgins role. But he's a professor who likes to nip at the bottle during lectures instead of an uptight Rex Harrison. He also mingles with the locals and is quite bored with teaching teenagers. He actually tells them to "go make love" and drop his poetry class. :)) Personally, I really enjoyed it. The hour and a half flew by. There were healthy doses of comedy and poignancy and you really cared about both the tutor and pupil. This might be my favorite Michael Caine movie for a while. It was really sweet and I'm curious if the actress playing Rita ever moved on to other things. She was very likable in the motor mouthed Eliza role.

Oh, and it was also directed by Lewis Gilbert.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Alex wrote:
    It was really sweet and I'm curious if the actress playing Rita ever moved on to other things. She was very likable in the motor mouthed Eliza role.
    Julie Walters OBE is a massive TV actress in the UK, Alex. She's also a decent comedian and was a regular in Victoria Wood's TV sketch show, especially her role as Mrs Overall in the Acorn Antiques sketch. But certainly A-list as far as the small screen goes. :)

She plays Ron Weasley's mother in the Harry Potter films. Billy Elliot (nominated for Best Supporting Actress Oscar, the second time since Educating Rita) and Calendar Girls are also fairly recent big screen outings.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    The Wild Geese.

Good to see this again. Some great acting from what is just a Boy's Own Adventure. The scene where Burton is trying to persuade Harris to go along with his plan, then seems to give in to not bothering but asks for his advice re the planning. As Harris pores over the map, cut to Burton who sees him getting involved, then has a moment of concience about what he's doing, then suppresses it.

A great 1970s flick with shots of Concorde and Tower Bridge and so on. Some amazingly topical stuff about black rule in Africa. Only Hardy Kruger's conversion to a black South Africa is clumsily handled.

Roger Moore on fine, understated form.

Closer

I'd also seen this before. Good stuff with Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, Jude Law and Natalie Portman and no one else. Still a bit stagey, and the slight sense of most of them being a bit miscast. It was more of a comedy at one point in the stage version, but a lot of that's lost here.
    Having seen 7 Ages of Rock's Britpop episode I couldn't help but think how much better it would be with Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn in the Clive Owen/Jude Law roles! :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited July 2007
    Alex wrote:
    It was really sweet and I'm curious if the actress playing Rita ever moved on to other things. She was very likable in the motor mouthed Eliza role.
    Julie Walters OBE is a massive TV actress in the UK, Alex. She's also a decent comedian and was a regular in Victoria Wood's TV sketch show, especially her role as Mrs Overall in the Acorn Antiques sketch. But certainly A-list as far as the small screen goes. :)

She plays Ron Weasley's mother in the Harry Potter films. Billy Elliot (nominated for Best Supporting Actress Oscar, the second time since Educating Rita) and Calendar Girls are also fairly recent big screen outings.
    Thanks for that, M-Five. It's good to know she didn't drop off the face of the earth after playing Rita. I mean, I'm not familiar with the name so it's nice to see talent and charisma can still earn you some deserving prestige 25 years later. Even if you're not a household name in other countries.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    The biggest whine that I have heard was the famous line McClane uses being "edited". No big deal really...
    I hope you'e kidding. :# That line is as fundamental to the Die Hard films as the "Bond, James Bond" line is to James Bond.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited July 2007
    It will be a while before I see it, but could people not reveal endings on this thread?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    It will be a while before I see it, but could people not reveal endings on this thread?
    Spoiler removed.
    Next

Dire movie from action hack/transvestite street-walker and DAD director Lee Tamahori. It claims to be an adaptation of a Philip K Dick story, but just uses the premise as an excuse for some running about a bit. After the haunting A Scanner Darkly last year, it's a shame that there are still producers willing to borrow Dick's ideas, but not follow through with them. As adaptations of his work go, this avoids being the worst ever by not having Ben Affleck in it, as the unfortunate Paycheck had to suffer.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    Dire movie from action hack/transvestite street-walker and DAD director Lee Tamahori! * - John Drake
    I could just see it as a poster tagline! :))
    unitedkingdom.png
    I also watched After The Sunset...

...and I have to say that I'm a tad perturbed that Brosnan never received a Bond script with as good a platform to work around as this thing had. (besides GE) This here was a nice little A script/production that entertains in all the right ways. The Brozzer and Salma Hayek sizzled. Woody Harrelson continues to impress me.

A highly underrated movie of master thief/cat and mouse/ FBI agent. Seeing it reminds me why I liked Pierce. (Shame on me for forgetting) I need to Seraphim Falls next.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Last night I watched Notes on a Scandal. Judi Dench again proves that all those honors, awards, and nominations weren't given to her because (to paraphrase one Sally Field) they like her, really, really like her. Dame Judi plays one of the most calculating, cold-blooded, nasty (yet always human and believable) characters I've ever seen. Cate Blanchett and Bill Nighy also show they're among the best in the biz. All in all, disturbing and unpleasant subject matter handled with skill and made fascinating.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Last night I watched Notes on a Scandal. Judi Dench again proves that all those honors, awards, and nominations weren't given to her because (to paraphrase one Sally Field) they like her, really, really like her.
    Dench was never going to win the Oscar for this regardless of how good she was, of course, but IMO she was absolutely superb. I think she's a magnificent actress, and although I've questioned the critical attention that she has received in the past, her performance in this film has ensured that I will never ask such questions again. :D
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    Last film seen = FRWL :D (I'm re-watching all the Bond films)

18 down, 3 to go! ;) (I need a life)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    edited July 2007
    Jarvio wrote:
    Last film seen = FRWL :D (I'm re-watching all the Bond films)

18 down, 3 to go! ;) (I need a life)
    Considering this is a Bond forum, do Bond films count? :D I think this thread should be retitled 'Last non-Bond film seen' otherwise every second post will feature a Bond film. :))
    lol good point...

In that case, the last NON-Bond film I saw was The Sum Of All Fears.

It was ok, but wasn't overly impressed. It was the first Jack Ryan film I have seen.

I actually own Clear and present danger, but have never gotten round to watching it. It might see the spotlight after my Bondathon is over. ;)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

edited July 2007
    Jarvio wrote:
    I actually own Clear and present danger, but have never gotten round to watching it. It might see the spotlight after my Bondathon is over. ;)
    Clear and Present Danger was IMO the best of the earlier Ryan films. I liked it alot; however nowehere near as much as Bond. :007)
    I'll look forward to watching it.

I am a big fan of Harrison Ford afterall. One of my favourite actors.

• General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I'll look forward to watching it.

I am a big fan of Harrison Ford afterall. One of my favourite actors.

I can vouch for the quality of this one, too. Clear and Present Danger is a pretty decent film. Spot appearances from screen veteran Dean Jones, and a small one from Patrick Bauchau (aka A View to a Kill's Scarpine).
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Shrek

I'm watching the Shrek movies in a very odd order. First it was Shrek 3 and now I've just watched the original. No 2 next!

I really enjoyed them. I didn't find them as entertaining as ToyStory but very good nonetheless.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Shrek

I'm watching the Shrek movies in a very odd order. First it was Shrek 3 and now I've just watched the original. No 2 next!

I really enjoyed them. I didn't find them as entertaining as ToyStory but very good nonetheless.
    I think that Shrek is a brilliant film and every bit as good as the magnificent ToyStory films. Rgarding Shrek 2, I think it's the weakest in the series and one that you should only see out of necessity. It's not a bad film by any means, but I do think it is disappointing and one that I would not be revisiting anytime soon.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I just watched Se7en, and I loved it... up until the end. It just felt unsatisfying. It was built up to be this amazing world-changing event that people would never forget, but it seems that it was tame in comparison to the previous murders. That having been said, I have to admit I didn't remember that envy and wrath were the last two sins, so I didn't connect them to the ending immediately, and that could have soured the possible great ending.

That having been said, the rest of the film was gripping, scary, and well-performed. A film I highly recommend- that is, if you have the stomach for it.
    I had a double feature of THE PUNISHER last night.

The Dolph Lundgren version from the late 80s which really isn't as bad as many would like to believe.

And the Thomas Jane incarnation which is severely underrated IMO. I hope that Jane reconsiders and does a sequel. B-)

Romanzo Criminale

Highly recommended Italian gangster film. It's about a group of friends who grow up together and as adults form a gang that terrorises Rome. However, they find themselves being used as pawns by the Mafia, corrupt politicians and left-wing terrorists. It's gripping stuff, and there's a great performance by an italian actor called Kim Stuart Rossi, as the most enigmatic of the gang.