Last film seen...

Comments

• JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Blade Runner (Director's Cut)

Well, I'm a huge Harrison Ford fan, and the film SEEMED good...

But...

Could somebody explain the plot to me? It was one of the most confusing things I've ever seen, and I quite simply didn't understand it. Especially the ending...
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Saw 1408 starring John Cusack. It was a pretty good horror film but Stephen King's stories are so multi-layered that it just hard to get it just right on the silver screen.

I took this to be more psychological that actual supernatural. I found the verbal bout between Jackson & Cusack to be one of the few highlights of this picture.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Jarvio wrote:

But...

Could somebody explain the plot to me? It was one of the most confusing things I've ever seen, and I quite simply didn't understand it. Especially the ending...

Bladerunner is one of my favorite movies; it's open-ended enough that it can be interpreted in many different ways. There have also been several versions of the film (including one variation with a voice-over narration by Harrison Ford).

If you were intrigued by the movie, I'd strongly recommend you check out Future Noir: The Making of Bladerunner. It's a great book that delves very deeply into the making of the film. Here's a link to the book's page on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Noir-Making-Blade-Runner/dp/0061053147/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6121967-9619852?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183598137&sr=8-1

There's also a special edition DVD that's supposed to be released this fall which will include all the different versions of the movie and hopefully a director's commentary by Ridley Scott.

As to the meaning of the ending, it's open to interpretation but I always thought that at the very end Roy Batty bascially came to respect Deckard and let him live as a final act of good and hopeful redemption. The bit at the end when Deckard and Rachel are leaving and Deckard finds the origami unicorn is often interpreted to mean that Deckard is a replicant himself - he dreamt of a unicorn earlier in the film and Gaff liked to create origami, meaning he had been to the apartment and also had access to Deckard's memories.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Saw both Fantastic 4 movies today. While both were "big dumb fun" it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. Both movies had so many plot holes in them I could drive a Semi-truck through them. But if I start to analyze the movies to closely, it ruins the fun the movies are supposed to be. These are comic book movies, and are supposed to be fun. Both movies earn a 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. I just can't look over some plot holes.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Jarvio wrote:

Jarvio, have you seen the original version of Blade Runner? Personally, I prefer the Director's Cut but I think both versions are fantastic.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Jarvio, have you seen the original version of Blade Runner? Personally, I prefer the Director's Cut but I think both versions are fantastic.

Not seen the original, although I'd like to.
    Director's cut is only one I've seen.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    Not seen the original, although I'd like to. Director's cut is only one I've seen.
    You should. Then you can compare the two.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Citizen Kane. A movie it seems that everyone had seen except me. A great movie about a multi-millionaire publisher based on William Randolph Hearst. It is billed by the American Film Institute as the greatest American film ever made. I don't know if I agree with that, but it was a fantastic movie. I enjoyed the documentary about Orson Welles, William Randolph Hearst, and the making of the movie even more than the movie itself.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Gideon

A bitter sweet tale about a mentally impaired man, (Christopher Lambert), in a nursing home. His simple words and the ability to listen inspire the elderly residents who are mostly played by an all star cast. Charlton Heston, Shirley Jones, Carrol O'Connor, and Harvey Korman, among others.

I was glad to see Lambert among this ensemble and in something other then made for video drek. I'd recommend a box of tissues though. Sad story, beautifully played by the vet cast. Lambert's subtle manner was heart warming.
    edited July 2007
    00-Agent wrote:
    Citizen Kane. A movie it seems that everyone had seen except me. A great movie about a multi-millionaire publisher based on William Randolph Hearst. It is billed by the American Film Institute as the greatest American film ever made. I don't know if I agree with that, but it was a fantastic movie.
    I too think it is a brilliant film, however I also agree that IMO it probably wasn't the greatest American film ever made. It is certainly one of the greatest, but I suspect that many people who vote for it as number 1 do so because everyone else does so. ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    For my own part, I think Citizen Kane may indeed be the greatest American film ever made---if only because of the ground-breaking camera work (double-focus, scene transition, etc), scene blocking, narrative style...Roger Ebert's commentary track on the DVD is excellent.

For anyone who enjoys Kane, I recommend the very interesting RKO 281, starring Liev Schrieber as Wells, John Malkovich as screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz, and James Cromwell as William Randolph Hearst...the 'story behind the story.'
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    "Stranger Than Fiction"

[special thanks to blueman for the Marc Forster-related recommendation]

Just finished watching this one with my two boys. We all really enjoyed it; frankly, I thought it was remarkable that my kids were interested, but I think that because it starred Will Ferrell, they expected a "Kicking and Screaming"-type dose of 'wacky stuff' in it. There wasn't, of course---but they were riveted by the story, and got increasingly nervous as we moved into the Third Act...

At one point, Loeff Jr turned to me and asked if this was what it was like to be a writer. I said: "Yeah. Without the personal assistant." :D

Ferrell was very good. Maggie Gyllenhaal has never been more appealing. Dustin Hoffman was clearly enjoying himself. Emma Thompson...well, I've always had a bit of a crush on Emma :x

Marc Forster seems an able craftsman; I hope the script Eon hands him is half as good as this one...

Perhaps the coolest thing about Stranger Than Fiction was the way in which it adheres to its own internal logic: Hoffman, as the literature professor, wastes precious little plot time looking at Ferrell as if he's crazy---he simply plays along. Similarly, Hoffman's scenes with Thompson tread a similarly gossamer suspension of reality...it works.

Most enjoyable; I'll likely own this one.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Live Free or Die Hard

*Contains some minor, vague spoliers!*

It's been 12 years since Vengeance. Lt. John McClane has lost Holly (divorce) as well as his hair. His daughter Lucy is in college. As usual, John finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time; he must put to an end a virtual terrorist plot which stirves to send the United States back to the Stone Age.

John McClane may have aged, but he hasn't matured. Bruce Willis once again delivers a terrific performance. Justin Long plays a wise-ass computer hacker who unknowingly becomes an accessory to the plot. However, after an attempt on his life is thwarted by McClane, he becomes John's trusty sidekick, helping him to defeat the bad guys. Timothy Olyphant plays the antagonist, a ****ed off former bureaucrat and computer mastermind. Sadly, Olyphant is not very menacing and thus is fairly unmemorable.

None the less, this film is entertaining from start to finish. There is a lot of great action as well as some good laughs. The language and gore are toned down to secure the PG-13 rating. McClane does squeeze in his trademark catchphrase, however the explicative-laden ending is muffled by a gunshot. Ah well, it's just as effective! :)

How does this film stack up to the others? I rank it third.

1. Die Hard With A Vengeance
    2. Die Hard
    3. Live Free or Die Hard
    4. Die Harder

This film is great fun and a must see for any Die Hard fan or action film aficionado.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Live Free or Die Hard

This film is great fun and a must see for any Die Hard fan or action film aficionado.

I saw this film yesterday afternoon. It was a classic, good old-fashioned action movie with a lot of OTT action sequences and great one-liners. Definitely a must see.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    The 10th Victim

A futuristic lightweight farce with Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress as two members of a club where people hunt each other for sport. Andress plays Caroline Meredith, a hunter who is one kill away from living the good life and Mastroianni is her intended victim. The film is full of quirky characters, off-beat gags, crazy locations and ridiculous situations - typical of Italian movies of the period. Marcello Mastroianni is his usual cool self, effortlessly walking thru all the insanity that surrounds him without giving it so much as a second look. Ursula Andress is a sight to behold, especially when she wears her double-barrelled bra. Lethal! :))
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Live Free or Die Hard

How does this film stack up to the others? I rank it third.

1. Die Hard With A Vengeance

Like the way you think, Tee. B-) DHWAV is very good.

My son and I saw TRANSFORMERS today. Good, good summer fun. I sometimes gag at Bay's signature style of filmmaking because they all look the same with the music and camera spans. I'd just like him to mix it up a little but as far as the action coming from him is concerned, you will not be disappointed. B-)

I think that some of the script was a little too adult being that this type of film will bring the younger crowds out in droves and IMO, shouldn't be subjected to that level of content. I felt that this film had too many unnecessary characters and very little plot but it was tight enough to just enjoy.

As far as the actual TFs, I felt it was the 80s all over again. They even had that cool little sound effect when they changed. I just wanted to hear Cullen say: "Transform!" but I was disappointed when he didn't.

Expect this movie to coast the rest of the month and then some of August. Definetely worth your money. ;)

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Swimming Pool

Drama about a writer played by Charlotte Rampling, moving to the French countryside to write her new novel. Her solitude is disturbed by the arrival of her publisher's daughter, a wayward young lady with a taste for the local menfolk. It's appealing enough, but there's a twist that occurs towards the end that is fairly obvious and a bit of a let-down.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Oceans 13 - An enjoyable, although not great film. After having seen the two prior movies, watching this one was like hanging out with old friends. You know their personalities so you just watch them interact and enjoy it. The movie starts a little slow, but picks up the pace as the story moves to the heist. All the old gang is there except Julia Roberts and they are joined by Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin. Fine performances by all and Vegas is captured well. The plot is a little too conveniant, but the actors have star power and it shows on the screen.

As a side note, I noticed that the age of the patrons skewed old. I was one of the younger folks in the crowd, which tells you something. Just an observation.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Die Hard 4.0

Non stop action. Keeps you gripped to it for the whole film. Some of the action was a bit OTT, but that's what it is all about. Unfortunately I had a 10:10pm showing, and hate watching films this late and usually fall asleep. It's a sign of a good film if I can last the length without nodding off.

Azumi

Entertaining period martial arts drama about a young female assassin and her companions on a mission to take out a brutal warlord and his equally viscious henchmen. It's slightly overlong, (over 2 hours), but worth the effort. There's a sequel as well, which I look forward to seeing.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Smokin' Aces--or, as I think it should be titled, Steamin' Crap. Truly bad. Incoherent, badly acted (was Andy Garcia trying to do some sort of southern accent?), and oh-so-pleased with itself. Make every fifth or sixth word "f**k" and you've written edgy dialogue! Throw in an out-of-the-blue twist ending and you've added "intelligence" and "social commentary" into the mix! For a real trip, watch the DVD extra features, where the actors and the writer/director discuss the film with such profound seriousness you'd think they were doing Ibsen.

I will say this, though: Alicia Keys looked pretty good in thigh-high patent leather boots.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Taxi Driver.

An interesting film which gets better as it goes on. Not Scorsese's best, but certainly good, and the downfall, and, in essence, resurrection of the Travis character is pretty impactful, especially in New York at that time.

Born Free

A very cute film about a tamed lion who eventually joins the wild. Touching and sweet, this is an old film worth watching with the family. In addition, the lions seemed incredible, as they really were tamed, playing with the humans in the most amazing ways.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Great Escape

Anyone like this as much as I do? I remember visiting Australian friends with my family in Switzerland, and they had this new thing called a vcr, (which fascinated me), Anyway, I've seen TGE so many times since then it's borderline ridiculous, but any time it comes on the box I can't help and leave it playing. Now that's staying power.

So many terrific characters, hard to pick a favorite. If pressed, I'd go for the Donald Pleasance /James Garner partnership.

And is it my mind playing tricks, or are some of the music cues very similiar to Mysterious Island? (there's another fave!)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I enjoyed it but The Great Escape is a bit of a misnomer to me, as out of the 80-odd who escape, all are recaptured bar one Aussie and 50 officers who are shot dead. So not much of an escape and not great either.

In reality I think two escaped, both Poles, and McQueen's character is an amalgam of others, written in to draw the Yanks.

The camp in Poland was also the one in The Wooden Horse, I believe. Stalag 53 if memory serves.

It all seems very British in that it dresses up failure as victory, so fittingly our England footie team has the theme to The Great Escape played by the Barmy Army at all games. It's similar to the Italian Job theme really.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    I saw Transformers the day it premiered and though there were some things wrong with it here and there (you would only notice if you are a Transformers geek) and it was actually really entertaining and dare I say this generation's new Star Wars.
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
    Two disappointments from two very fine film-makers.

Firstly, The Curse of the Golden Flower is a tedious wuxia from Hero director Zhang Yimou. The Emperor of China and his wife fall out leading to tragedy. Yimou really needs to get away from this grand-scale style of movie for a bit. It's sumptuous to look at, but oh so dull. It's a bit like finding yourself stuck between a couple who are arguing very loudly in public.

Second, is I'm a Cyborg, but it's OK from Park Chan Wook ( Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Old Boy). Wook may have removed the violent aspects present in his last few films, but I'm a Cyborg still follows his regular theme of a troubled outsider damaged by a traumatic incident in their past. Here, a young woman is institutionalised after coming to believe she is a cyborg. There's a lot of zany comedy as we meet the other inmates, and some inventive dream sequences, but I'm afraid I found this to be a very irritating film.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Hostel: Part II

Wasn't overly impressed with teh first part when I first watched it. But after watching it again recently it was not bad. Saw the second part yesterday. It's much of the same, but that's what this film is all about. They managed to push the boundarys of grusomeness even furthur. It was truly sick and that's a good thing.

Oceans 13

After part 2 which I can't even remember most of it, it was that unmemorable. I had also recently seen the first part on tv recently and this third outing was as good as the first. Al Pacino is a great new addition to the all star cast.

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Die Hard 4.0

The start of Die Hard 4 doesn't feel like a Die Hard film. Bruce Willis looks older than you remember and seems to have forgotten how to play John Mclane. Banks of computer screens always make my eyes glaze over in films and the start of this film is full of them. Ten minutes in I started to look at my watch as a man next to me started choking on a boiled sweet. The reviews were very sniffy about this film and it looked like they were right. However, Die Hard 4.0 starts to click at some point and gets better as it goes on. I decided this was a proper Die Hard film about the first time Mclane threatens to drive a truck up someones 'ass'. He destroys a helicopter with a car and drives a jeep down a liftshaft. Willis starts to wisecrack and Len Wiseman amps up the action sequences. While Die Hard 4 is not an 18 certificate (the days of the ultra gory 18 certificate action film - Robocop, Predator - are gone) the close quarter fight sequences pack a punch and people pay a price for every fall or punch. The final set-piece involving a Jet fighter is ludicrous but great fun. The villain is fine and that French bloke from District 13 turns up as an acrobatic henchman. Not up to the original or the underrated Die Hard With Vengance but I left the cinema content that I got full value for my £4-50.
    Late last night I watched:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

Still very funny after all of these years. Who said that comedy & westerns don't go together? ;)

• PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix - Midnight Premire

in itself, it was a good film, but it was severly lacking in my opinion when compared with the book. The Special Effects were amazing.

I'd had a wonderful day leading up to the show too. A friend and I met the actors who play Seamus Finnegan and Crabbe in the films (they were at a local candy store doing a fundraiser for charity) ...such nice guys...before hand, so we were reeeeeallllly pumped for the movie!!

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com