Last film seen...

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Late last night I watched:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

Still very funny after all of these years. Who said that comedy & westerns don't go together? ;)

I remember watching that movie years ago. Or was it the sequel to it called Support Your Local Gunfighter ? I remember one of them (or both) being very funny. The scene that comes to mind is a gunfight. The main charector (James Garner?) steps out and says "Everyone hold on a second." He then goes to a differnt position for the gunfight. After he claims his new position he says "Okay, everyone go ahead." And the gunfight continues. :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

Still very funny after all of these years. Who said that comedy & westerns don't go together? ;)

Best part is when Garner persuades a villain to stay in jail, even though it doesn't have any bars. :))

Fathom

A 60's spy movie with Raquel Welch. Slight, but fun. And Welch spends most of the film in a bikini. Which is an amazing sight.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Transformers

What can I say? Awesome special effects. The story was kind of weak though. I think if you followed the cartoon from the 80's you'll have a better understanding of the movie. Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5 stars. I had to read up on some parts. I guess the 80's was a long time ago. I can't wait for the sequel.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Best part is when Garner persuades a villain to stay in jail, even though it doesn't have any bars. :))
    Bruce Dern and that red paint :))

I loved this flick. It was part of my parent's tape collection back in the day, so I had ample time to watch it!

Bruce Dern, Jack Elam, Walter Brennan. It's one of the funniest movie ever. :007)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix

Saw it yesterday at a preview.

I didn't think it was as action packed as the previous films but it managed to hold the kids interest nonetheless. It is a lot darker in tone.

Excellent performances all round and very watchable.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Finally saw Ghost Rider. The textbook definition of an uneven movie. The opening "origin" sequence was great--easily the best thing in the film--and the Rider effects and stunts were tons of fun. There were also little bits of humor and some homages--such as Sam Elliott's old cowboy--that I enjoyed. Unfortunately, you have to endure one of Nic Cage's mopiest performances (and isn't he a bit old for this?), Eva Mendes's non-acting ("Who cares if I deliver my lines like I've got a mouthful of marbles? I'm hot!"), a "So what?" plot that's pretty much a rip-off of a clone of a carbon copy of Raiders, and the most evil villain imaginable--who looks just like a grown-up Eddie Munster. O, what could have been. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Die Hard 4.0

The start of Die Hard 4 doesn't feel like a Die Hard film. Bruce Willis looks older than you remember and seems to have forgotten how to play John Mclane. Banks of computer screens always make my eyes glaze over in films and the start of this film is full of them. Ten minutes in I started to look at my watch as a man next to me started choking on a boiled sweet.

I know I'm missing the point completely arthur, but what is a..boiled sweet? God, it sounds horrible!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    "Spirit of St. Louis"

A classic Billy Wilder film I got via Netflix, and had the opportunity to share tonight with Loeff Jr and Loeff III...a little something about a guy named Lindbergh, who flew from New York to Paris in 1927...

Never mind that a fifty-something James Stewart plays twenty-something Lucky Lindy---the movie is still great, after all these years...the boys appreciated the Atlantic crossing much more after seeing the film...I'm serving them up similar revelations as we watch episodes from HBO's brilliant "From The Earth to the Moon" miniseries...

(having been raised seeing Luke Skywalker and his X-Wing fighter, etc., the boys have been a bit slow in appreciating a few real-life aviation achievements; I'm attempting to balance the scales)

EDIT: I've just tucked Loeff Jr in for the night...as I gave him a goodnight kiss, and asked him if he enjoyed the picture, he said: "I'm about to go to sleep in my hotel room in Paris, right after staying awake all that time and flying across the ocean."

B-)

As an old 'imagination'-type guy, that warms my heart... :)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Monique wrote:
    I know I'm missing the point completely arthur, but what is a..boiled sweet? God, it sounds horrible!
    Boiled sweets are like lozenges, and fairly popular amongst British schoolchildren. See examples here, the best being 'rhubarb and custards' and 'soor plooms'. They are not horrible at all, just terrible for your teeth.

The last film I saw was Torn Curtain, one of Hitchcock's most underrated films and one I never tire of watching. Stellar performances all round, intelligently executed with a wonderful cold war atmosphere. Seeing a defection through the eyes of his wife is an interesting angle, the film is also unusual as it is the Communists who have the upper hand (Michael—Paul Newman's character—has to steal a formula from the mind of an East German professor, as the Communists are in his line of work more advanced than the West). Altogether an imaginative and gripping picture.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Bruce Dern and that red paint :))

I loved this flick. It was part of my parent's tape collection back in the day, so I had ample time to watch it!

Bruce Dern, Jack Elam, Walter Brennan. It's one of the funniest movie ever. :007)

I had no idea that there were other fans of this comedy. It's really a great picture that deserves to be kept out of REMAKE HELL...it just wouldn't be the same. :))

Last night I saw the sequel:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER

Not as hilarious as its predecessor but a really fun movie. This is the one with Swifty Morgan. Garner & Elam are really an underrated comedy tandem if you ask me. :)) :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I had no idea that there were other fans of this comedy. It's really a great picture that deserves to be kept out of REMAKE HELL...it just wouldn't be the same. :))

Agreed. Nobody could replace Garner.
    Last night I saw the sequel:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER

Not as hilarious as its predecessor but a really fun movie. This is the one with Swifty Morgan. Garner & Elam are really an underrated comedy tandem if you ask me. :)) :))

It's airing this week on C4. I've never seen this one before, so i'm quite looking forward to it.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    A couple of HD films. They l;ook so much better!

Smokin' Aces

This felt like such a mess to me. Very dissapointing. Was expecting alot more.

The Bourne Supremacy

I love these films. I had seen the first one recently so decided to pop this on as well. It was still as great as the last time I saw it. Can't wait for the third part.

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Little Children

Second feature from Todd Field, whose first effort, In The Bedroom, was brilliant IMO. This one's not quite as good, but is excellent nonetheless. It's a story of suburban angst in many forms -- boredom, unrealized expectations, threats to community contentment -- most of which boil beneath the placid surface.

This film is primarily about great acting, none more so than the incomparable Kate Winslet, who for me has to be one of the top five actors -- male or female -- working today. As a bored stay-at-home mom, she plays the film's central role. Her counterpart, a similarly unfulfilled dad played by Patrick Wilson, is a more of a one-note character and a little less interesting.

Also notable among the cast is Jackie Earle Haley (Bad News Bears, Breaking Away) who returned to the screen after a 23-year absence and somehow managed to portray a pedophile with a measure of humanity while never skimping on the truly repugnant aspects of the character. He deserved the Oscar nomination he got.

Finally, the film makes use of voiceover narration. I usually dislike this technique, but it works very well here, due both to the tone of the narrative and the style of the narrator himself.

Not a happy tale, but definitely a recommended one.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    The Woods

Melancholy but derivative horror. A teenage girl enrols in a new all-girls school, only to find that there is something not quite right about her teachers and the nearby woods. The girl-school setting and the haunting visuals reminded me of Argento's Phenomona, the presence of Bruce Campbell recalls The Evil Dead, (there's even a scene where he searches for weapons in a wood shed), and the use of Lesley Gore's sublime 'You Don't Own Me' on the soundtrack suggests the director has seen a visciously funny movie called The Convent, which opened with a teenage girl murdering a group of Demonic nuns with a baseball bat, a shotgun and a canister of petrol, to the sound of Gore's yearning 60's pop hit.
    "The Queen"

A fascinating movie with great performances. I've been in love with Helen Mirren since she played Morgana in Excalibur...
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

This one shocked me. I've never been a fan of the films (love the books), mainly because of the lead actor. I've always found him stiff and predictable.

However, I do think Daniel Radcliffe's performance was better than anything we've seen from him, and there are just too many brilliant actors in there to overlook. The final scenes of the film are actually pretty gripping.

I'd give it a 7.5/10
    Shrek 3

Oh dear. The first two were wonderful. What on earth happened? The only time I laughed was when Donkey started singing 'The Cat's in the Cradle.'
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    Shrek 3

Oh dear. The first two were wonderful. What on earth happened? The only time I laughed was when Donkey started singing 'The Cat's in the Cradle.'
    You didn't like Shrek 3? :o I loved it. Yes, it's nowhere near as good as the first one, but I much preferred it to the tired second film.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    A bit like TWINE, then DS? :D

Paris j'taime

Or Paris j'deteste. Lots of little short films set in many different arrondisements showing off the city may sound like a good idea. But they reminded me of the short films that used to accompany blockbuster flicks in the early 80s. A bit twee, plain and depressing. Many seemed to have no point or punchline whatsoever, and also failed to be slice of life. It all smacked of worthiness. Some had a 'playful' twist of some kind but these frankly could have been set anywhere. A short story involving a cranky American tourist and a supercilious, rude Parisian receptionisht would hit the mark more, but you'd get none of this in this tourist board flick. Bleugh.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    You mean that TWINE wasn't as good as GE but better than TND? ?:)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Well last night I saw: MYSTERY MEN.

Very underrated comic book movie that didn't do well at all at the box office back in '99 as I recall. I remember just a few other people sitting in the audience when I went to see it that opening weekend.

It's funny, colorful and has a good story. This one remains a classic with me. B-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Dan Same wrote:

8-)

Shrek = GE
    Shrek 2 = TND (tired)
    Shrek 3 = TWINE

What time is it in Australia, DS? :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Dan Same wrote:

8-)

Shrek = GE
    Shrek 2 = TND (tired)
    Shrek 3 = TWINE

What time is it in Australia, DS? :))
    2:00 in the morning. I have to say NP, you're really tolerant of people asking legitimte questions. :# Haven't you ever heard 'there are not stupid questions, etc...?' :)) I forgot the rest.
    Aren't you working in the morning? :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    Shrek 3

You didn't like Shrek 3? :o I loved it. Yes, it's nowhere near as good as the first one, but I much preferred it to the tired second film.

I would like to weigh in on this subject. Shrek 3 was almost without a laugh. The female characters turning from meek, helpless creatures into superheroes was ridicules and the donkey switching bodies with the cat wasn't very funny either. By far the weakest of the Shrek movies in my opinion and I will not be in the audience when Shrek 4 arrives.
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

Efficient entry in the Potter series. It lacks the magic of Prisoner of Azkaban but it does the job.
    "Double Indemnity"

Billy Wilder's classic Film Noir masterpiece...with Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson.

It doesn't get more noir than this B-)

An important piece of film history; highly recommended.
    edited July 2007
    "Double Indemnity"
    Contains one of the greatest scenes of flirting between a married woman and a single man ever. :D A brilliant film.

I recently saw National Treasure. It's extremely implausible but still great fun. I'm a big fan of Nicolas Cage. I also think that Diane Kruger was really good in the film. :x

Before that I saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. I enjoyed it, however I didn't love it (the film didn't keep my attention the entire time) but also, I now know why W.C. Fields said 'never work with children and animals.' Or in this case, it should be 'never see films with children in the audience.' :s :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    "Double Indemnity"
    Contains one of the greatest scenes of flirting between a married woman and a single man ever. :D A brilliant film.

I always thought it a shame that Brosnan didn't get to do a noir, he's quite similar to MacMurray and has a similar range (The Apartment, Flubber etc). MacMurray wasn't a briliant star, but his films were very good indeed, he had some classics, but Brosnan, with the exception of Thomas Crown (which he's brilliant in, I rewatched it on BBC3 recently) and maybe The Matador (which did nothing much at the box office) he falls shy of.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

Efficient entry in the Potter series. It lacks the magic of Prisoner of Azkaban but it does the job.

I have to say I thought OOTP was the best one of the series, and the first actually good film, despite its attachment to the Potter franchise. The acting skills of the entire cast, especially Mr. Radcliffe, has really increased, and the direction was excellent, leading to some true tension and some unforgettable characters.