Last film seen...

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I haven't seen this movie in years, but once was certainly enough... It's been too long for me to comment on the more detailed aspects of the film. Interestingly, there have been horror movies that I found less disturbing. I've never been so freaked out by the ending of a film as I have with this one. The only thought that went through my mind was how these people were going to "survive" after losing their heads... :#

Yes Sly, a lot of the same thoughts went thru my head; that's why I said the film, and especially the ending, were funny yet very disturbing. I think the thing to remember is that after 37 years and Ernest's death, Marilyn and Helen still haven't learned their lesson. They're still obssessed with staying young and don't really care about anyone or anything else; they certainly had no qualms about trying to condemn Ernest to the same fate. They're in a pretty bad predicament there at the end (although their arms still seem to work) but they also don't seem overly concerned. They really don't deserve much pity - they were a couple of vapid, selfish, narcissistic witches and they got exactly what they deserved.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Tony knows the nude body double, now that's commitment to excellence :D

I bought Vol. II of Best Buy's exclusive "Classic Sci-Fi". And after viewing the trailer for years I can finally say I've watched the classic Dr. Cyclops. The special effects in this little flick are outstanding, especially considering the time of it's conception. The shots of reducing a person in size were achieved better then in both The Incredible Shrinking Man and Attack Of The Puppet People combined, and this was made in 1940.

Someone at Paramount / Universal probably thought Ernest Thesinger's miniature folks in Bride Of Frankenstein were worth repeating. They sure were.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    :)) He must really like the film. :D
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Lucky You

Banal drama from Curtis Hanson, with Eric Bana struggling to remain conscious as a poker player who has father issues.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

My mom has often accused me of having champagne tastes. I actually came across that tidbit of info when I was googling Catherine Bell as part of that "Who should play Wonder Woman thread". Let's just say that little nugget won me over. :D
    I bought Vol. II of Best Buy's exclusive "Classic Sci-Fi". And after viewing the trailer for years I can finally say I've watched the classic Dr. Cyclops. The special effects in this little flick are outstanding, especially considering the time of it's conception. The shots of reducing a person in size were achieved better then in both The Incredible Shrinking Man and Attack Of The Puppet People combined, and this was made in 1940.

I saw Dr. Cyclops years ago on the old Creature Feature show in Boston; the effects were really amazing and they stayed with me for many years. I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that many of the movie's props were put in storage and later used on Shrinking Man.
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    The Godfather Part 2

Wonderful film. Just as good as the first IMO. Great acting by Pacino and Diane Keaton. The only part that bothered me was when...
    Michael kills his brother Fredo for betraying the family. :'(

He didn't deserve it. What else was Fredo supposed to do? My favorite scene though is the flashback at the very end of Michael and his deceased brothers at a surprise birthday party for their father. It really showed the relationship between them all and how Michael tried not to but ultimately became his father. But Part 1 is better IMO and the best movie of all time.

Even so, I give it a 10/10.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Saw a movie last night that I hadn't seen in years:

ARLINGTON ROAD

A great if not depressing thriller. I love some films where the bad guy gets away with the crime at the end but not really this one because of the monsterous Oklahoma City tragedy still being fresh in many minds here just a few years earlier before this.

Bridges, Robbins and Cusack all give great performances although Joan Cusack's part came across as very creepy in a June Cleaver sort of way. :s

I recall being stumped by the ending so for me at least, it worked. Movies with subtexts like this are just too risky to put out nowadays with everyone's mind pretty much set in "terrorist mode". Probably why it didn't make as much as it deserved at the box office - well made but bad timing still...

I just remember leaving the theatre feeling very downtrodden although I was entertained by the film.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    SHOOT 'EM UP

This was one of the most ridiculously unrealistic action movies I've ver seen, but I loved every minute of it. What seperates Shoot 'Em Up form lame action flicks like Crank and Transporter 2 is that it's all very tounge in cheek. The movie is not taking itself seriously by any means. One could think of it as an extremely violent, live action Looney Tunes cartoon, with guns instead of Acme Corp. gizmos (I'm totally ripping of that idea from a local film critic, by the way.) Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti are two very talented actors, and, throughout the movie, are obviously having fun playing these ridiculous parts in a ridiculous movie. One of the movies greatest strengths is the cinematography, very stylish.
    In conclusion, Shoot 'Em Up is funny, cool, and a blast too watch. A must-see! Just let yourself enjoy the show. If you think it sucks because its too unrealistic and has cheesy one-liners, than your missing the whole point. The film's a gag, and a very good one at that.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    "Cream: Royal Albert Hall"

Very cool. Though he looks like sixty miles of bad road, Jack Bruce was in great voice. Ginger Baker pounded the traps like the professional he is, and Eric Clapton was...Clapton B-)

A stellar trio of musicians in a long-overdue reunion concert. Highly recommended for any fans of the music.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Lady in the Water (2006) - An idea (good?) terribly executed. Save yourself the 110 min it takes to watch this and find something else to do.

El Laberinto del fauno (2006) - A fairy tale done right. A great experience, and one hell of a movie.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    I saw Fracture last night. The ads made it look like Anthony Hopkins was all but reprising Hannibal Lecter, but his character is cut from an entirely different evil cloth. All in all, a pretty good legal thriller, and it even has Rosamund Pike in a pretty substantial role. Good to know she hasn't vanished since DAD!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited September 2007
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day

I loved this movie. There is great action and once again more funny Schwarzenegger one-liners. My favorite part of the film is the climax with the big helicopter chase and the fight between the villain and Schwarzenegger. The villain is one of the best villains I have seen in a while. I definitely recommend these Terminator films, they are magnificent.

I give it a 9/10.
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Jackass: Number Two

Completely sensless, mindless, disguisting crap. And I love every minute of it!
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Evan Almighty

Not really a sequel to Bruce Almighty, despite the return of Steve Carrell and Morgan Freeman.

This time Carrell is the star here, and he's actually quite good, and the film is surprisingly moving and emotional. Also, there's less screen time given to Freeman here, which may disappoint some.

However, this film is well worth watching, especially if you want to see something with loved ones.

9/10
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    edited September 2007
    "A History of Violence"

A startling and unflinching picture by David Cronenburg, who brought us the remake of "The Fly," and other, even more bizarre, films. This one is quite conventional, by his standards, but is a great bit of meditation on how the past has a way of catching up with you.

Viggo Mortensen plays a man named Tom Stall, who runs a small diner somewhere (presumably the midwestern U.S.A., though it appears to have been filmed in Canada). He has a great wife, a son who's bullied at school and a delightful younger daughter. One day, his diner is nearly robbed---he resorts to drastic violence to stop the crime, draws national attention...including mobbed-up baddies who see him on the news and become convinced that he's someone named Joey Cusack from Philadelphia...

Ed Harris is as scary as I've ever seen him---brilliant, and William Hurt turns in a very good small supporting role, but Viggo Mortensen is superb in the role of someone who desperately just wants to keep the life he has.

Highly recommended, but not for the squeamish: it thoroughly earns its 'R' rating :o
    Death Proof

The Tarantino segment of Grindhouse, now divided into two different films for the benefit (ahem, money-grabbing git Harvey Weinstein) of UK audiences. This is better than I expected, but far too slight to have been anything other than part of the double-bill it was meant to be.
    Izo

Completely mad, utterly incomprehensible, and more than a little-deranged metaphorical musings on the nature of revenge from Miike Takashi. A samurai warrior is crucified by Roman soldiers then reappears through the ages killing as many people as possible and causing more pain and suffering. It's seems to be a comment on the current political climate and how violent acts create more violent acts, but sadly it's also rubbish. Miike made one of the great mournful horror movies in Audition, and the truly sublime Dead or Alive 2: Birds, but he has been seriously off his game in recent years. Izo is awful.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Resident Evil: Extinction

Zombie movie done well. The Zombies were not just random extras with green paint on their faces. every extra had AMAZING makeup. If you're a fan of any version of RE, this is a deff. reccomendation. Good stuff.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    The Good German. OK, it looked just like a 1940s film noir. And the point is. . .?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Pulp Fiction

What can I say. My favorite movie when it came out and still my favorite movie today. There's something cool about it. No big explosions, just a well written, well acted movie. This will still be my faovrite in another 30 years.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I saw Fracture last night. The ads made it look like Anthony Hopkins was all but reprising Hannibal Lecter, but his character is cut from an entirely different evil cloth. All in all, a pretty good legal thriller, and it even has Rosamund Pike in a pretty substantial role. Good to know she hasn't vanished since DAD!

Agreed. Caught this one in the cinema, and while the marketing department were trying to cash in by making it look like another Lecter-esque role for Hopkins, it turned out to be an intriguing, intelligent and often funny thriller. Rather impressed.
    Sunshine

Thoughtful, but unoriginal sci-fi from Danny Boyle. It's basically an artier version of Event Horizon that also borrows from Solaris and Silent Running. It has a great cast though, including Cillian Murphy, Hiroyuki Sanada, ex-Bond girl Michelle Yeoh and Mark Strong so the journey is worth taking.
    THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE

Classic Jodie. Still holds weight after all of these years. B-)

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Agreed. Caught this one in the cinema, and while the marketing department were trying to cash in by making it look like another Lecter-esque role for Hopkins, it turned out to be an intriguing, intelligent and often funny thriller. Rather impressed.
    I too really enjoyed it. I thought it was very clever, although during the interview scenes, I was half-expecting Hopkins to leap across the desk ala Lecter. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Striking Distance

It was an okay film. Bruce Willis wasn't at his best but he was still pretty good. Sarah Jessica Parker sucked IMO and should not have been given the role. Still, it had some action and plenty of suspense.

I give it a 7/10.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Striking Distance

Bruce Willis wasn't at his best but he was still pretty good.

It's funny you say that. In May 2004 Bruce Willis apologized to the movie going public for this film saying that "it sucked." He mentioned it on the show "On The Record With Bob Costas"
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Striking Distance

It was an okay film. Bruce Willis wasn't at his best but he was still pretty good. Sarah Jessica Parker sucked IMO and should not have been given the role. Still, it had some action and plenty of suspense.

I give it a 7/10.
    I'm a huge Willis fan, but I don't love that film. I really enjoyed the action scenes, but some of the scenes involving the killer creeped me out. I don't know why as I've seen, and loved, far worse, but some of those scenes really scare me, and not in a good way. ;) It's for those reason that I've only seen the film in full no more than twice. When it's on TV, I either only watch the non-creepy scenes or not at all.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Striking Distance

I give it a 7/10.
    I'm a huge Willis fan, but I don't love that film. I really enjoyed the action scenes, but some of the scenes involving the killer creeped me out. I don't know why as I've seen, and loved, far worse, but some of those scenes really scare me, and not in a good way. ;) It's for those reason that I've only seen the film in full no more than twice. When it's on TV, I either only watch the non-creepy scenes or not at all.

Thats funny, when it comes on tv I only watch the ending, I don't know why I watched it in full the other day, I guess it was because I was bored as hell.
    Cheech & Chong's: THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER

Still funny after all these years. A raunchy, dope-smoking classic. :))

edited October 2007
    "Detective Story"

From 1951, directed by William Wyler and starring Kirk Douglas. It's a day-in-the-life of a tough-as-nails New York City homicide detective...unique in that 98% of the film takes place in the precinct building! Then again, it's based on a stage play, so that figures...

It was very good, albeit melodramatic, which is characteristic of both the period and the genre. It also features a standout performance by a young-looking Joseph (Dr. No) Wiseman, as a desperate Italian hoodlum with nothing left to lose...