Last film seen...

Comments

• GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    Die Hard

For some reason, I have been in the mood lately to watch Bruce Willis movies. I decided to watch the Die Hard series. I loved the first one. It has lots of action, suspense, and plenty of mind blowing scenes. Wonderful villain IMO and Bruce Willis was great. I'm hoping to watch the whole series soon.

I give it a 10/10. {[]
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Atonement

Lovely film to look at, and though I've read the book the ending still had be ready to bawl my eyes out in a near-empty cinema - I wonder what the etiquette for that is? A bit like jerking off during Basic Instinct - it's not really on is it? :o :D

Many scenes in the film were just how I pictured in the book.

That said, the Dunkirk scene went on too long once it reached the beach. I'd have preferred they'd shown some of Robbie Turner's heroics on the way there and the difference he made to others' lives.

And readers of the novel will know what I mean when I say it might be more appropriate if young Briony had been a budding film maker, not a novelist, as this is a film and not a novel.

Good Night, and Good Luck

Hard to fault this George Clooney-directed black and white classic about how Ed Morrow took on the evils of Joe McCarthy, the Communist baiter who undermined American values. All the actors look like they're from that period, praise that can also be lavished on Atonement.

But it is a liberal wet dream. In fact it reminded me of the liberal equivalent of Rambo:First Blood! :D They all get to spout liberal speeches and they seem to win most of their arguments, just as you rarely see Rambo bested for long.

I was surprised to see Patricial Clarkson as the wife of Robert Downey Jr. I mean, she was Costner's squeeze in The Untouchables some 20 years ago! And even then she didn't look too youthful. She's a bit too old for Downey, though she's always a welcome screen prescence.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Lovely film to look at, and though I've read the book the ending still had be ready to bawl my eyes out in a near-empty cinema - I wonder what the etiquette for that is? A bit like jerking off during Basic Instinct - it's not really on is it? :o :D
    :)) That is just classic. You're right though; anybody who jerks off during Basic Instinct must be pretty desperate. ;)
    But it is a liberal wet dream. In fact it reminded me of the liberal equivalent of Rambo:First Blood! :D They all get to spout liberal speeches and they seem to win most of their arguments, just as you rarely see Rambo bested for long.
    I take it you're not a liberal? :v

I loved that film. Although its flaws have been mentioned (some of it isn't entirely accurate), I thought the screenplay was terrific, and I thought the performances (especially David Strathairn's) were superb. But then again, as you point out, it is a liberal wet dream, and I think I'm getting more liberal as I get older. :v :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Die Hard

For some reason, I have been in the mood lately to watch Bruce Willis movies. I decided to watch the Die Hard series. I loved the first one. It has lots of action, suspense, and plenty of mind blowing scenes. Wonderful villain IMO and Bruce Willis was great. I'm hoping to watch the whole series soon.

I give it a 10/10. {[]
    I have one thing to say about this: {[] {[] {[] {[] Finally you give a masterpiece 10/10. :D I love this film. :D It's so awesome! I actually will be seeing it at the cinemas this upcoming Thursday night! :D Did I mention that I adore this film? :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    I take it you're not a liberal? :v

I loved that film. Although its flaws have been mentioned (some of it isn't entirely accurate), I thought the screenplay was terrific, and I thought the performances (especially David Strathairn's) were superb.

Well we don't talk of liberals in the UK so much, it doesn't have the same connotations as elsewhere, but I was in sympathy with the film. It's just, I felt they were preaching to the choir somewhat and it had a self-congratulatory air after a while. Was Strathairn the Ed Morrow guy? He was very good.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Black Sheep

Don't know how I came across this but, it's terrible. It's one of those comedy gore films. Brought back memories of Braindead, just not quite as gory or funny. I was half watching while browsing in pip. Lost interest after 15mins.

Well we don't talk of liberals in the UK so much, it doesn't have the same connotations as elsewhere, but I was in sympathy with the film. It's just, I felt they were preaching to the choir somewhat and it had a self-congratulatory air after a while.
    You're probably right about that. I can't deny that one of the reasons this film appeals to me so much is that I share Clooney's ideology. However I do think it is a very good film. It's not perfect but I think it has alot of great things going for it. An example being:
    Was Strathairn the Ed Morrow guy? He was very good.
    He was. I thought he was superb.
    edited October 2007
    Although there are different ways to be liberal, if our freewheeling friend Ms Ryder is anything to go by.... :D

I'll never look at another Pierce Brosnan mask in the same way again :o

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    ...A bit like jerking off...

...a liberal wet dream...

Methinks spring has come early for Nap! :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
    It's not just the sap rising...

Or has spring sprung late? ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley

An interesting story about two brothers in the Old IRA and the British and the resulting treaty signed in 1921. I'm not sure how historically accurate the film is but there were excellent performances from the whole cast and it was thought provoking. A tad depressing though.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    The Brave One

Jodie Foster and director Neil Jordan team up for an intruiging vigilante movie. Essentially ‘The Brave One’ is a loose remake of Jordan’s first film ‘Angel,’ relocated from Ireland to New York and with a female avenger in place of Stephen Rea’s mournful killer. Terrance Howard takes on the Ray McNally role, as the decent cop, who forms a close bond with the vigilante. Jordan’s Hollywood films have never matched the more complex work he has done in Ireland or the UK and ‘The Brave One’ follows suit. It’s a lesser film, but not without interest for fans of his work.

:)) NP, you have such a dirty mind. :D
    Although there are different ways to be liberal, if our freewheeling friend Ms Ryder is anything to go by.... :D

I'll never look at another Pierce Brosnan mask in the same way again :o
    What does Pierce Brosnan masks have to with Honey? ?:) :))
    Dan Same wrote:

:)) NP, you have such a dirty mind. :D

Yes, sorry about all this, I have poured a bucket of cold water over myself since yesterday... {:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    You liked The Brave One, JD? ?:)

I just saw it and I must say I was quite disappointed. {:)

Granted, Jodie Foster did well, but then again she almost always does. To me the pace of the film was uneven, and I wasn't impressed with the length.

2/5 from me.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    You liked The Brave One, JD? ?:)

I just saw it and I must say I was quite disappointed. {:)

Granted, Jodie Foster did well, but then again she almost always does. To me the pace of the film was uneven, and I wasn't impressed with the length.

2/5 from me.

I did like The Brave One. Foster was very good. As was Terrance Howard. What was wrong with the pacing? Too slow, too fast?
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Robin Hood: Men in Tights

I needed a laugh the other night, so I dug it out and put it on. always a good one. Cary Elwes is fantastic.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    John Drake wrote:
    Foster was very good.
    Foster is always very good. :D So what else is new about that? ;)
    Pendragon wrote:
    Robin Hood: Men in Tights

I needed a laugh the other night, so I dug it out and put it on. always a good one. Cary Elwes is fantastic.
    That's a very funny film. :D One of my favourite scenes was the scene with Mel Brooks talking about circumcision. :))
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I was so happy when I found RH:MIT for like 5 bucks at WalMart the other night. I was there looking for something else (at 11:30 PM) with some friends, and we found the bargain movies. yay.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Pendragon wrote:
    I was so happy when I found RH:MIT for like 5 bucks at WalMart the other night.
    Which film are you talking about? ?:)
    He means Robin Hood Men In Tights, the Mel Brooke film.

Not seen it, but it has loads of quotes on the imdb...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    He means Robin Hood Men In Tights, the Mel Brooke film.

Not seen it, but it has loads of quotes on the imdb...
    ;% I should have realised. I actually didn't see the posts above. :)) Anyway, I have seen it and I think it's extremely funny. Mel Brooks is IMO a comic genius. :D
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    He means Robin Hood Men In Tights. . .

Pen's a she--unless you think dude looks like a lady?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Oops, sorry, it's just the way she opened the car door by herself... :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Die Hard 2

Like I said, I am watching the whole series and I finally saw number 2 today and it was great. Bruce Willis was wonderful as usual but the villain wasn't as good as the villain in the first one. I like the first film much better than this one but it is still an awesome movie.

I give it a 10/10. -{
    edited October 2007
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Die Hard 2

Like I said, I am watching the whole series and I finally saw number 2 today and it was great. Bruce Willis was wonderful as usual but the villain wasn't as good as the villain in the first one. I like the first film much better than this one but it is still an awesome movie.

I give it a 10/10. -{
    That's a terrific film. {[] It's nowhere near as good as the first one, of course, but I think it is still great and the ending is extraordinary. :o :D I can't wait until you see number 3. :D

P.S. I love your photo and your sig. :D {[]
    Dan Same wrote:
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Die Hard 2

I give it a 10/10. -{
    That's a terrific film. {[] It's nowhere near as good as the first one, of course, but I think it is still great and the ending is extraordinary. :o :D I can't wait until you see number 3. :D

P.S. I love your photo and your sig. :D {[]

Thanks, I decided to upload my own photo to have something a little different, and since The Godfather Part 1 and 2 are my favorite movies of all time, I decided to go with the Michael Corleone look.

Anyways, my favorite part of Die Hard had to be the part where McClane ignites the trail of fuel and says to the bad guy, "Yippee-ki-yay, mother f*****!" One of my favorite catch phrases. I'm planning on watching the third one tomorrow. I can't wait. {[]
    edited October 2007
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Thanks, I decided to upload my own photo to have something a little different, and since The Godfather Part 1 and 2 are my favorite movies of all time, I decided to go with the Michael Corleone look.
    The first two Godfather films are my two favourite films as well, :D so I think that having a photo of Michael is a fantastic idea. :D
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Anyways, my favorite part of Die Hard had to be the part where McClane ignites the trail of fuel and says to the bad guy, "Yippee-ki-yay, mother f*****!"
    A truly classic scene. As I said in my original response, I really think that the ending to Die Hard 2 is magnificent. :D
    Georgiboy wrote:
    One of my favorite catch phrases.
    Mine too. It's not my favourite (I don't have one) but it is certainly among my favourites. :D
    Georgiboy wrote:
    I'm planning on watching the third one tomorrow. I can't wait. {[]
    Enjoy. {[] I loved the third one. It's rather different to the first two, but it is really great fun. :D You know, I can't decide which of number 2 and number 3 is my second favourite in the series (after the first one of course.) It'll be interesting to read what you think.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    Just watched Tarantino's "Death Proof" last night. Missed it at the theaters but I immediately borrowed the DVD from my library when it was released. At first I thought my library was confused in how they documented the DVD details because there was no mention of "Planet Terror," though I was expecting to see it after "Death Proof" (remember, I never saw the theatrical release) then found out that the two features are being released separately.

Anyway, halfway through DP, my wife commented how much she didn't like the movie and found it too visually overwhelming, but after the 2nd act got underway, we were both laughing hysterically. The exploitation qualities as usual in QT movies were cleverly put to use. However, because Tarantino is really a guilty pleasure for me, the highlight was seeing the underpinings of the QT "treatment" in the picture...whole inside joke of how this slice of life just smacks of QT's voice, from the way situations are contrived, to the dialog, behavior and sequential logic exhibited by the female characters.

You sit there momentarily convinced that there might actually be pockets of young girls out there in social settings being presented...then after hearing the colorful dialog you say to yourself, "no way could there be real people like that...when expletives are exchanged in "normal" conversation...or when a girl does a certain kind of *dance*, that's QT pulling the strings and putting dialog in their mouths!

In many respects, Fleming extensively did the same by writing in the female voice for TSWLM, but just as Fleming did with the entire Bond canon, Tarantino created his version of reality where women who, matter-of-factly sport nicely waxed legs, wear daisy dukes and carry on the kind of "mundane" leisure activities that seem to be the best kept secrets in rural America. So, in a nutshell, just like any Tarantino movie in the end, you will really love it or hate it, a win-win reaction that most artists can only dream about.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....