Last film seen...

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    The Seeker: The Dark is Rising

Sub-Harry Potter rubbish. Christopher Eccleston looks slightly embarassed to be in this nonsense. I'm hoping he does the right thing and returns to TV for season 2 of Heroes.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Resident Evil: Extinction

Pretty poor plot. But you get what you want and expect from this series. Loads of cool zombie fighting and gore. Won't be to everyones taste, but if you liked the other two, this is definitely worth watching.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry

Typical Adam Sandler comedy. Good easy to watch film. Great to watch with mates. There were some really funny parts although not that many. Still if you've liked all his other films. You'll like this.

s96024 wrote:
    Resident Evil: Extinction

Pretty poor plot. But you get what you want and expect from this series. Loads of cool zombie fighting and gore. Won't be to everyones taste, but if you liked the other two, this is definitely worth watching.

Also seen this. Highlander director Russell Mulcahy does a decent job here and makes it the best of the series so far. That's essentially being damned by faint praise as the first two were genuinely awful. But this is quite watchable. And Ali Larter from Heroes is a welcome diversion.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Double feature tonight.

Meet The Robinsons - A Disney animated feature that I had no real expectations for and ended up really enjoying. A nice story and some funny lines with some off beat characters, I liked it.

Transformers - A silly over the top Michael Bey directed action movies that I enjoyed the hell out of. The CGI is impressive and the story moves along with plenty of action. Also, Tony DP was right about Megan Fox, she is hot.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Alex wrote:
    A Tale Of Two Cities

First time I've ever seen this particular version. (from British Rank Productions), And I fell in like a school boy. They don't make them like this anymore. Casting Dirk Bogarde as Dickens' world-weary-hero was a darn perfect choice. He embodies the apathetic drunkard who redeems himself with self sacrifice flawlessly. You can't take your eyes off of Dirk. He could have played Bond!

Dirk Bogarde was a wonderful actor. Have you seenHot Enough for June Alex? If I remember correctly it's a Bond spoof. He was also pretty good as an ageing spy in Permission to Kill alongside a young Timothy Dalton.

I've seen a couple of horror films recently.

The first is Suicide Club, a bizzare J-horror, in which large groups of people become convinced that killing themselves is a really fun idea if they all do it together, after being exposed to the music of a tweenie music group. It's funny, wierd, haunting and has more ideas than many of its US equivalents put together.

Then something more traditional.

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter

Directed by Brian Clemens of The Avengers fame, this has one of the best opening scenes ever. Two young women are in a forest. One goes off to pick flowers. A hooded figure then terrifies the girl who remains. Until she looks into her assailant's face and smiles. When her friend returns she finds the other girl has been robbed of her youth. It's very eerie. It's a real shame Clemens didn't direct more movies.
    Captain Kronos is a wonderful Hammer film. The R1 DVD contains an enjoyable commentary with Brian Clemens and Caroline Munro. It's a shame the intent of an ongoing series never materialized. The duel in the final reel is marvelous and the forest scenes are poetic. Munro as the earthy peasant girl with eyes you can swim in, (sigh) And the lead actor who closely resembles Roman Polanski, it's uncanny.

I am not familiar the extent of Dirk Bogarde's career and have discovered him only recently. Let me say this viewer has taken to his style immensely as he somewhat reminds me of American actor Dana Andrews, who I also admire very much. I love silly Bond spoofs even though they diluted the period so I'll keep an eye out.

So much golden stuff, so little time.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger 8-)

Help! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Both TV offerings yesterday. Well I like GF, and DS will think I'm widing him up if I slag it off. I've seen it recently in the cinema and need to give it a rest, I think. It seemed quite languid and droll. Guy Hamilton is great at setting up one-liners, less so at action. In fact, there's hardly an action scene in the movie, really is there? The chase around the factory is balanced more by Bond's expressions and concern etc, not that that's a bad thing. The film goes look a bit tacky once it goes to the US, it seems more dated once it goes into an urbanised environment. This isn't a dig at the US - rather the Bonds never show America in a flattering light like, say, in Someone to Watch Over You or the Ocean's 11 remake.

Help! with the Beatles really was drivel, bar a handful of songs, mostly sung by Lennon (Macca's sole song, The Night Before, arrives late and isn't much cop, cf A Hard Day's Night which featured And I Love Her and Can't Buy Me Love, two Macca classics).
    Awful cod-Bond spoof nonsense, the Drab 4 looked stoned most of the time, delivering the jokes in a low key, can't be bothered sort of way. Some lovely cinematography on the videos though, eg Ticket to Ride, You're Gonna Lose that Girl and You've got to hide your love away.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Captain Kronos is a wonderful Hammer film. The R1 DVD contains an enjoyable commentary with Brian Clemens and Caroline Munro. It's a shame the intent of an ongoing series never materialized. The duel in the final reel is marvelous and the forest scenes are poetic. Munro as the earthy peasant girl with eyes you can swim in, (sigh) And the lead actor who closely resembles Roman Polanski, it's uncanny.

Captain Kronos is a great Hammer film, but one scene always leaves laughing hysterically: the scene where Kronos tries unsuccessfully, again and again, to figure out how to kill his friend Marcus - who has been turned into a vampire. Horst Janson's attempts at conveying his disappointment at not being able to release Marcus from his undeath give the scene an almost Monty Python like quality to me.

On the plus side, in addition to the delectable Caroline Munro, the film also had the equally yummy Wanda Ventham (who I fell in lust with after seeing her in Gerry Anderson's UFO TV show). Grrrrrr.
    Colossus Of Rhodes

Known as Sergio Leone's first directorial effort, with scenic filming locations in Spain, nice fight scenes, (especially atop the huge statue), cowboy Rory Calhoun as an Athenian, and the usual throne room-deceit-double crosses, all create a fine two hour cinemascope sword & sandal romp. Being a fan of late 50s, early 60s historical efforts also helps.
    Alex wrote:
    Colossus Of Rhodes

Known as Sergio Leone's first directorial effort, with scenic filming locations in Spain, nice fight scenes, (especially atop the huge statue), .

I've always wanted to see that. I'm a huge fan of Leone's later movies so it would be fascinating to see how he started.

3:10 to Yuma

Entertaining, if old-fashioned western with Russell Crowe in fine form as a gunslinger being transported to a prison train by crippled rancher, Christian Bale. Both men form a bond despite their differences. Crowe hasn't been this cool since Gladiator.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

There was a special screening of this film at my university tonight. The event included audience participation. We threw toliet paper, fired water pistols, rang bells, and a number of other things at certain points during the film. Several people dressed up as well.

At a Rocky Horror event, first-time viewers are considered "virgins." Virgins are branded with a "V" on their forehead to distinguish them from the veteran viewers. I myself was a Rocky Horror "virgin." And I've just scrubbed my forehead clean. :D

The film itself is extremely cartoonish and spoof-like, similar to CR (1967). The film is laden with sexual undertones. Worst of all, there doesn't seem to be much of a plot; I didn't have the slightest idea what was going on during the whole picture. :s

Tim Curry delivers yet another brilliant OTT performance as the eccentric Dr. Frank-N-Furter. A young Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick play a newly engaged couple who stumble upon Dr. Frank's bizarre residence after their car breaks down.

I was rather surprised to see Bond alumn Charles Gray (Henderson-YOLT, Blofeld-DAF); dancing "The Time Warp" atop a desk no less. I might normally have found this strange, however he did dress in drag four years earlier. ;)

While this film is certainly entertaining, it lacks any real substance. If you like that sort of thing, then this just might be the film for you. However, I must warn you that this film is rated R due to its sexual nature. Put the kids to bed before popping this into your DVD player. :D
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Virgins are branded with a "V" on their forehead to distinguish them from the veteran viewers. I myself was a Rocky Horror "virgin." And I've just scrubbed my forehead clean. :D
    Thank god. For a moment I thought you meant that you were literally branded. :))
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Worst of all, there doesn't seem to be much of a plot; I didn't have the slightest idea what was going on during the whole picture. :s
    I'm not a big fan of this film. I loved the first half but I think the second half was terrible and so whenever the film is on TV, I only watch the first half. It's no coincidence that all of my favourite songs were from the first half.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited October 2007
    Well I like GF, and DS will think I'm widing him up if I slag it off.
    X-( You're extremely lucky you PMed me about this. :v :))

Fantastic Four.

I recently watched this on TV. It's not a great films by any means, but I liked it. Truth be told, I missed some of the end and it made no difference whatsoever. :)) Anyway, it was pretty fun. I liked some of the action scenes and Jessica Alba is pretty easy on the eyes. :D It's interesting as Roger Ebert made a comment which I very much agree with: not one of the characters (The Thing aside) showed much emotion when they discovered their powers. The way Reed and co acted, you would almost think that getting super powers is just an odinary thing. :# :)) Anyway, it's no masterpiece and is nowhere near the best superhero film I've seen, but it's fun and that's all one can ask for really. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

I myself was a Rocky Horror "virgin." And I've just scrubbed my forehead clean. :D

Welcome to the Club Tee Hee {[]

I'm a veteran of Rocky Horror to the point that when it first became available on video, I used to have some friends round every Friday night for Rocky Horror Night. This obviously involved lots of Time Warping and drinking lots of Lambrusco ( classy at the time :)) ).

I have seen this soooo many times and it only evokes fond memories for me. Infact, you've just inspired me to go and dig out the old VHS ...

'It's just a jump to the left.
    And then a step to the right.
    With your hands on your hips.
    You bring your knees in tight'
    ;%
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    Carlito's Way

I absolutely loved this film. One of Pachino's best performances IMO. Sean Penn was not that great. The ending of this film had some great scenes. They were very very suspenseful. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering how the hell he was going to escape.

I give it a 10/10. {[]
    Man In The Attic

(Jack Palance is Jack the Ripper)

Taken from a story entitled "The Lodger", here he is, fresh from the elite gun for hire part in Shane that propeled him to stardom.

Of course the Ripper's never been discovered, but the screenwriters give us an educated guess, with "Mr. Slade" being a mama's boy-graveyard pathologist driven to do what he feels MUST be done. (not far from some case study theories, I tend to believe the real killer was nothing but a wandering freak)

Comely leading lady Constance Smith gives the viewers a little hot Moulan Rouge-Can-Can dancing. However it's Palance whose sturdy shoulders this entire project rest upon. A wonderfully intense, intelligent and sympathetic take on the Whitechapel murderer which has been done so many times. (This was '53)
    Sympathetic take on the Whitechapel murderer? What next, an endearing portrayal of Myra Hindley?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited October 2007
    Sympathetic take on the Whitechapel murderer? What next, an endearing portrayal of Myra Hindley?
    I am not a serial killer fan, nor do I maintain sympathy for the Mother Flunker. This is an early '50s film (shot in England) in which The killler receives his just comeuppance. It's the actor's performance that I feel for.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Sicko.

I am not a Michael Moore fan, so I did not have particularly high hopes for this latest documentary. However, I did find it quite thought-provoking. Obviously Moore is highly selective: the NHS is not *quite* the well-oiled machine as is portrayed, and he skirts over the economic problems France has been suffering (even though per hour worked the French are highly productive). Nevertheless, I found it fascinating, and I must say I have never felt so lucky to live in western Europe!
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    INNER SENSES

One of the better Asian horror films that inevitably will be remade by Hollywood one day. This picture started out as one thing and was something else before it was over. There's also a bit of irony surrounding this as life imitates art but I'll let you to check it out on your own if you don't mind subtitles.

Very good movie. B-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    American Gangster

Every bit as good as it promised to be. Ridley Scott's 70's crime drama, about a low-profile drug dealer smuggling heroin from Vietnam is one of the films of the year. Russell Crowe and Denzil Washington are on top form and there is an outstanding supporting cast including, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Josh Brolin, Carla Gugino, Cuba Gooding Jr, Armand Assante (who has gotten old since the last time I saw him in a film), and then from some of the great American TV shows, John Polito and Ted Levine (from Michael Mann's Crime Story, Idris Elba The Wire, and John Hawkes Deadwood.
    John Drake wrote:
    American Gangster
    I'm really looking forward to it. Speaking of which, how faithful is it to real life events and does knowing what eventually happens to the drug dealer in real life spoil it in any way?
    Dan Same wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    American Gangster
    I'm really looking forward to it. Speaking of which, how faithful is it to real life events and does knowing what eventually happens to the drug dealer in real life spoil it in any way?

I had very little knowledge about the real-life events that inspired the film. I knew the basics, but not who did what and what went on. It may be that knowing something about this period is an advantage, rather than a hindrance.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    INNER SENSES

There's also a bit of irony surrounding this as life imitates art

Too true. I couldn't believe what happened to Leslie Cheung. And Anita Mui died around the same time. Two of the biggest stars in HK cinema gone before their time. :'(
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Double Indemity - A film noir classic starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson. MacMurray an insurance salesman and Stanwyck an unhappily married woman devise a scheme to kill Stanwyck's husband and collect the insurance proceeds. Edward G. Robinson is the insurance investigator who investigates the death, The film maintains tension throughout, but I thought Stanwyck and MacMurray lacked chemistry. Everytime MacMurray called her "baby" it seemed forced. This movie reminded me of the more recent Body Heat, which I would argue is a better movie because of the chemistry between William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. All in all Double Indemity was a fun viewing and I would recommend it.
    I thought that Brosnan should really have had the kind of career MacMurray enjoyed, they even look the same. Brosnan would have been great in a film noir, but now it's a bit late.

The World Is Not Enough 8-)

Thunderball 8-)

I don't know, I think I'm going off Bond. To be fair, I've seen TWINE many times, which is more than most 90s action flicks. But now it seems quite dull and dreary on the small screen, all beige and stone colours, with lots of TV stars (Samanthan Bond, Cleese, Carlyle, Coltrane, Michael Kitchen etc) and dodgy accents abound. Brosnan seems quite low key, all Beckham good looks and lacking fizz. Smaller than life villains, though the script is very good (the dialogue I mean) and Malahide is great in the pts.

Thunderball, I saw the second half and it's all dreary drawn out travelogue. Looks, a bikini babe dancing in a fire! The junkanoo - here's a headache for you! It's needlessly convoluted to complicate a very straightforward storyline. Some nice bits of Connery acting though.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Oh, also Four Weddings and a Funeral

It's fashionable to diss Richard Curtis now, but this has held up very well, with a terrific ensemble cast on top form. It's hardly dated at all, mainly because it's set in various churches and so on. The only thing, Andie MacDowell seems a less appealing character and less attractive, whereas Grant's infatuated friend Kristen Scott Thomas seems sexier, even if she's a bit of a nasty piece of work. Of course, Scott Thomas has since gone on to be sexier in The English Patient, so I'm seeing it from that perspective. Ironically, she was cuckoling Colin Firth in that film for Ralph Fiennes, and now loads of women think, hmmm, why is she ditching Firth for him, since Pride and Prejudice confirmed Firth as a sex god...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Good Luck Chuck

I read a review on this yesterday which said it was terrible. I watched it a few days ago and maybe it's just my simple, weird sense of humour. Don't get me wrong it's not a masterpiece, but it's one of those easy to watch films and ther are a few good laughs in it.

edited November 2007
    I don't know, I think I'm going off Bond.
    Kick him off the site!! X-( :))

Terminator 2

This was on TV, and I watched it for about the 1000th time, although it was the first time that my mother watched much of it with me. What can I say? An absolute masterpiece. Brilliant, stupendous, wonderful, I could go on and on. :D

IMO Arnie starred in several great films but he made three absolute masterpieces; the first two Terminator films and Total Recall. T2 was the last of these great masterpieces, and throughout the years, I have never failed to be absolutely delighted by this brilliant film. There are two scenes which I think are great measurements of humanity; :D if you fail to cheer during one scene and if you fail to cry during another scene, you don't have a heart. :v

Georgiboy, yes, I am speaking to you, how on earth could you have failed to give this film 10/10? Be thankful that you gave 10/10 to Die Hard otherwise you would be receiving a visit from the T-1000! X-(

Anway, it's an extremely important film to me and is one of my great passions. I truly can not express how much I adore it. {[]
    Full Of It

Not the worst film ever. A couple of small chuckles was about it. Only worth watching if you don't want to pay much attention.

s96024 wrote:
    Full Of It

Not the worst film ever. A couple of small chuckles was about it. Only worth watching if you don't want to pay much attention.

TLI

Roger Moore 1927-2017