Last film seen...

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Lucky Number Slevin

I'd heard bad things about this, but my flatmate had a copy. I really quite liked it. Josh Hartnett was an appealing enough leading man/boy in a role the cocky young Willis might have played one time. It starts off with lots of random knifings and shootings which get you down, not sure if that's a tactic to beat the audience down.

Quite quirky and stylish, a bit irritating at first, but I thought, hey, this guy could direct a Bond movie! Although not, alas, today's kind of Bond movie... And sure enough, there's a Trainspotting type converstation comparing the different Blofelds... mind you, it does stick out a bit.

Generally I recommend this as a rental, it's really okay with some interesting stuff. You might feel cheated at the cinema mind. Ending doesn't quite pan out in the callousness stakes, it probably got softened.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    FALLING DOWN (1993)

It's been a long time since I've seen this movie but I still love it. IMO, one of Michael Douglas' better roles. In a weird way, I felt sympathy for his character...

I mean who hasn't had this movie run across their minds for a second or two when your stuck in a busy traffic jam?

Although I don't in any way condone his behavior nor ideals, I always laugh at the bigoted Army surplus owner and the things he says. I never know if it's supposed to be comic relief or what.

For those that have seen this, didn't you find that all the women cast in this were either abstract and/or quite negative?

This is one of my favorites to. It's been a long time since I've seen this movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for the ladies you speak of.

I know the four women shown were:

Douglas Wife and his mother
    The sergants wife.
    then the female cop

Yes the four main women surrounding this story seemed to be symbolic in Schumacher's eyes. Maybe I'm being too cerebral but they all had very noticable quirks that I can't really put my finger on; of course the whole movie showed us the ugly side of L.A.

It certainly wasn't depicted as glamourous and that fits in well with the tone...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    FALLING DOWN (1993)

It's been a long time since I've seen this movie but I still love it. IMO, one of Michael Douglas' better roles. In a weird way, I felt sympathy for his character...

I mean who hasn't had this movie run across their minds for a second or two when your stuck in a busy traffic jam?

Although I don't in any way condone his behavior nor ideals, I always laugh at the bigoted Army surplus owner and the things he says. I never know if it's supposed to be comic relief or what.

For those that have seen this, didn't you find that all the women cast in this were either abstract and/or quite negative?
    I also love this film. I think that Douglas (an extremely underrated actor IMO) was brilliant. :D As for the women, although it's been a while since I've seen it, I think that they were deliberately that way as we mainly see events from Douglas's perspective.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited November 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    FALLING DOWN (1993)

I also love this film. I think that Douglas (an extremely underrated actor IMO) was brilliant. :D As for the women, although it's been a while since I've seen it, I think that they were deliberately that way as we mainly see events from Douglas's perspective.

That may be true. From my perpective, I really didn't like D-Fen's wife at all. Maybe because of my position or what, I didn't like her.

I know how I would feel if my wife had tried to keep my child from me and in the film, it was never explained specifically as to why they divorced. There were hints that there was something unstable going on but that can be interrputed differently by the viewer as to what measure.
    You have to remember, he was only a monster from her point of view and we all know that there are two sides to every arguement. Sometimes marital unions just don't mix...

I really believe that many of us are capable of "snapping" but to what degree, I cannot say.

Yes, an excellent movie, Falling Down. I guess it might have a misogynistic bent, as D-Fens is at times an ambivalent character (though our sympathies should mostly be with with the cop). And, D-Fens rages against mealy-mouthed bureacracy much like Jack in Five Easy Pieces and his argument with the waitress, or One Flew Over... and Nurse Ratched. Of course, the fipside is that really such guys can also go a bit demented and dangerous...

Douglas makes him less nerdy than he might be, imagine Matthew Modine in the role, or Rick Moranis, and you have another story.

My understanding is we are meant to infer that D-Fens is kinda a loony and could be going dangerous at the end. It's not made obvious.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    For my birthday last week Dad got me 3 Philip Marlowe movies because I've been reading the books. Farewell My Lovely, The Long Goddbye and Poodle Springs. Ive only watched Farewell My Lovely so far. It was very good and Robert Mitchum is great at Marlowe. I also watched both versions of The Big Sleep recently and enjoyed them but the old version is best.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,471Chief of Staff
    Farewell, My Lovely

Obviously I watched this film as well. I saw it on its original release and loved it totally. I'd read all the Marlowe novels and caught all the films so was keen to see this one. The atmosphere is perfect, it's faithful enough to the novel, and Mitchum is Marlowe to a T. Maybe he was a shade too old when cast- not his fault, of course- but his voice and persona are nigh perfect. I especially enjoyed his narration, which included many Chandlerisms. His later The Big Sleep remake had several problems, but he wasn't one of them.
    I'm with Son Of (not to say Chandler himself) in saying that the Bogart/Hawks Big Sleep is a classic, although the second version despite the updating and changing of locale is generally more faithful.
    This w/e we're planning a Marlowe marathon...
    edited November 2007
    THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

This is a very good film; Forest Whitaker does a superb job of portraying Idi Amin and doesn't sugatcoat it for the monster Amin actually was. There are alot of pictures that try and glorify and go out of their way to make the viewer sympathize with these real-life butchers. I've never understood that.

Although I remember when some of these actual events took place via the news as a child, this film focuses more on the personal yet erratic relationship between Amin and his private physician/advisor/proxy/whipping boy.

I'm not sure if he did or didn't but McAvoy should have gotten an Oscar nod for this piece. He's a talented actor.

I don't think that I can watch this movie more than once basically because of how hopeless and dreadful its tone is. Not that it's not possible to do it but it is on a whole quite depressing...
    *** 1/2 stars.

edited November 2007
    I quite liked The Last King Of Scotland. Whitaker was amazing, especially since his portrayal was so accurate. He very much deserved the Oscar. :D

I left the film feeling pretty depressed. The idea that that such a person could exist will never cease to horrify me. :#
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I'm not sure if he did or didn't but McAvoy should have gotten an Oscar nod for this piece. He's a talented actor.
    He did not.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    I left the film feeling pretty depressed. The idea that that such a person could exist will never cease to horrify me. :#

Have you ever seen The Jim Jones Story, Dan? It's pretty much the same thing...leaves you down.

Yet Robert Carlyle I believe, portrayed Hitler in his early years as a struggling artist. Who cares that the man sucked as a painter...he was a monster regardless. That's the point.

I very rarely want to get inside these guys heads to see how they ticked. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

edited November 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Have you ever seen The Jim Jones Story, Dan? It's pretty much the same thing...leaves you down.
    No, I have not had the pleasure (if that's the right word.) Perhaps, it's a sign of my getting older, but as I do age, I am more emotionally affected by the things I watch.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Yet Robert Carlyle I believe, portrayed Hitler in his early years as a struggling artist. Who cares that the man sucked as a painter...he was a monster regardless. That's the point.
    Interestingly, the telemovie with Carlyle is one of the very few Holocaust-related films I've seen. I'm still yet to see Schindler's List and The Pianist, and I'm not going to for quite a while, due to my family history.

Regarding this telemovie, though, I was quite disappointed with it. The filmmakers were concerned about being accused of 'humanising' Hitler, yet if you make a film about someone, and you make no attempt to understand them, then what's the point? I also saw Downfall with my Grandmother, and we were both disappointed with it for entirely different reasons. Anyway to get back onto topic, unless a film is very good, I'm not really interested in getting close and personal with Amin, Pol Pot, Stalin and other delightful leaders (and under no circumstances with Hitler.)
    edited November 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    Regarding this telemovie, though, I was quite disappointed with it. The filmmakers were concerned about being accused of 'humanising' Hitler, yet if you make a film about someone, and you make no attempt to understand them, then what's the point?

I understand that his art sucked...THE END. :D

Also, when you're up for it, you must see The Pianist. Very good movie.

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Stargate

Saw this film once in the theaters and never felt the need to watch it again. For kicks I revisited it. The film is pretty flat with some interesting visuals to keep things going.

It was interesting to note David Arnold's score- lush, but repetitive and sometimes poorly applied. I suspect the overuse of the music is more the director's fault. Arnold's score is great, though, and I almost feel that the Bond films have started to corrupt him a bit in terms of style.
    darenhat wrote:
    Stargate

Saw this film once in the theaters and never felt the need to watch it again. For kicks I revisited it. The film is pretty flat with some interesting visuals to keep things going.

It was interesting to note David Arnold's score- lush, but repetitive and sometimes poorly applied. I suspect the overuse of the music is more the director's fault. Arnold's score is great, though, and I almost feel that the Bond films have started to corrupt him a bit in terms of style.

I feel pretty much like you do now with this picture, darenhat. When I saw this in theatres with my wife, I thought that it was visual eye candy for its time with the special effect and all but the story was pretty flat as it dragged somewhat.
    At the time, I didn't want to think so but now when I watch it, it could've been so much more.

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Beowulf

I was expecting a bit more from this, but I'm afraid it left me cold. Far too much time was spent praising Odin, and talking about the sins of the past. It's worth seeing, I just didn't enjoy it that much. I saw a half-hour Russian version of this story a few years ago, that was far more impressive and it didn't have millions to spend on CGI. And I really enjoyed a trashy B-movie version with Christopher Lambert. But this just didn't do it for me.
    edited November 2007
    My son and I just came back from seeing:

THE MIST

Those of you in the know, can understand how hard it is to translate Stephen King's horror lit to the big screen. I read the novella not once but twice and it's one of my favorite short stories. The movie adaptation was simply going along VERY GOOD. Sure some sequences in it were juiced up to keep you gripped as to be expected.
    As reluctant as my son was to see this, (he's never quite forgiven Thomas Jane for quitting The Punisher... Marvel fanboy :)) ) he ended up enjoying this one alot...then...

...the director or writer or whomever decided to get clever and change the ending. I won't spoil it for you but it's not what I remember reading.

Marcia Gay Harden stole this picture as the over-zealous bible nut and the pacing was very good considering it's sort of a claustrophobic piece.

I was about to give this movie a clear three stars but after that ending it's only ** 1/2.

edited November 2007
    Lions for Lambs

Liberal panty-wetting and furrowed brows. Quite the most smug, self-satisfied load of tosh you'll see this year. Robert Redford directs, and makes an appearance as an irritating college lecturer, while Tom Cruise plays a dynamic politician who has had an idea. :o I hate being lectured on the ways of the world by people who earn more money than a small country's annual turnover. Abject t*****s.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    John Drake wrote:
    Lions for Lambs

Liberal panty-wetting and furrowed brows. Quite the most smug, self-satisfied load of tosh you'll see this year.

Oh...I won't be seeing it this year...or any other ;)
    John Drake wrote:
    I hate being lectured on the ways of the world by people who earn more money than a small country's annual turnover. Abject t*****s.

Same here; this is one of those films I don't have to see, as lectures like this are ubiquitous from that crowd. I go to the cinema to be entertained {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    John Drake wrote:
    Lions for Lambs

Liberal panty-wetting and furrowed brows. Quite the most smug, self-satisfied load of tosh you'll see this year.
    Sounds wonderful. :D I can't wait to see it. :))
    John Drake wrote:
    I hate being lectured on the ways of the world by people who earn more money than a small country's annual turnover.
    As opposed to the people on the other side of the idiological aisle who obviously earn far less money? :v

I recently had the displeacure of seeing Saw IV. A horrible film, it not only infuriated me by being just as morally self-righteous as the previous film (this was only the second Saw film that I saw) but towards the end of the film, the filmmakers decided that story and plot was so very overrated and introduced a 'twist' that went against everything before it! :s Even my GF, who was the only reason I went to see the film, didn't love it. There was one good thing though; our tickets were free. ;)
    Blimey DS, your girlfriend must be pretty bloodthirsty... It does amaze me how many women actually go in for this sort of stuff. Like, my hairdresser, quite cute, was going on about how I should see Hostel... :o

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2007
    Blimey DS, your girlfriend must be pretty bloodthirsty... It does amaze me how many women actually go in for this sort of stuff. Like, my hairdresser, quite cute, was going on about how I should see Hostel... :o
    Oh, you have no idea. :)) My girlfriend loves films like Hostel and Saw. I enjoy horror films myself, but my tastes extend towards some older films, many of which she finds 'tame.' For example, I was quite disappointed that she didn't really like the original Halloween. Anyway, the only reason I saw two Saw films and both Hostel films is because, to steal from Bill Cosby, I'm not the boss of the relationship because I've seen the boss's job and I don't want it. ;)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Enchanted - With the kids home from school for the holiday the whole family went and saw Enchanted last night. A delightful Disney movie that tells the tale of a Princess who gets sent from her fairyland to present day New York. The movie starts out animated and switches to live action when she gets to New York. Amy Adams as the princess is wonderful, she nails the part, her performance raises the movie to another level. Patrick Dempsey is the divorce lawyer who lends her a helping hand and Susan Sarandon plays the evil witch. The movie is a whole lot of fun and the ending is not what I expected. A definite recommendation.

Saw trailers for

Golden Compass, looked prety lame to me
    Alvin and the Chipmunks, the audience was laughing very hard during the trailer, Definitely, Maybe, really really lame
    National Treasure, Book of Secrets - looked good.
    Like, my hairdresser, quite cute, was going on about how I should see Hostel... :o

NP, were you not a bit worried that there was a woman with a pair of scissors standing behind you telling you how much she liked the film Hostel? :))
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters

This is news to me...I'm assuming it's a sequel to the Nicholas Cage film? Does it star NC?
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

This is news to me...I'm assuming it's a sequel to the Nicholas Cage film? Does it star NC?

Yes it does, Nick Cage, Diane Kruger, Jon Voight, Helen Mirren, Ed Harris and Harvy Keitel are in it. Link to website is below.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/nationaltreasure/
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Back to Lions for Lambs. . .haven't seen it, don't want to see it, but there's certainly no reason for anyone to get their political hackles up. Have a look at the reviews on RottenTomatoes.com. 26% favorable. It's gotten some of the worst ratings for a film this year, and a good number of the critics are people so far left they consider anything Michael Moore says an oracular pronouncement. No, Lions for Lambs has done what most thought was impossible--it's brought together the Left and the Right. In dislike for the film, but, still, it's a start. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    It's gotten some of the worst ratings for a film this year, and a good number of the critics are people so far left they consider anything Michael Moore says an oracular pronouncement.
    I doubt the Guardian views Moore in such a way, however it is certainly on the political left. Its review of the film is scathing, and probably better than the film itself:

"Pure fence-sitting liberal* agony is all that's on offer here, in a muddled and pompous film about America's war on terror, which seeks to counter neo-con belligerence with a mixture of injured sensitivity and a shrill, pre-emptive patriotism of its own. In fact, it gives liberalism such a bad name that on leaving the cinema, I felt like going out and getting a nude study of Norman Podhoretz tattooed on my inner thigh. How incredible that something as shallow and badly acted as this could be presented as a serious, even Oscar-worthy picture from Hollywood's finest."

And that's just the beginning. The last film I saw was Das Experiment. A bit unlikely in the final quarter, the build-up is deeply disturbing and chilling as we see what might happen when ordinary people get authority. The film clearly takes its basis from the Stanford Prison Experiment, in which average men are put into an artificial prison and separated into prison guards and prisoners. As long as they do not use physical violence, the guards can run the prison as they please, with dreadful results.

* It is worth noting that 'liberal' is being used in the American sense of the word, which has a completely different meaning from that in Europe.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Day-Off Holiday Double Feature---enjoyed with Loeff Jr and Loeff III:

"Transformers"

I knew nothing of the cartoon show, and only a bit about the toys, having bought a couple for the boys...but it was surprisingly enjoyable fare. Michael Bay has finally found 'his' subject matter :s :D The effects are great, but they get to be a bit 'much' as the piece progresses. Not high art, but very funny in places, and good action.

"The Astronaut Farmer"

Billy Bob Thornton and Virgina Madsen, as an obsessed Texas rancher and his long-suffering wife. Thornton plays a former astronaut-to-be who washed out years ago when his father committed suicide...years later, he builds his version of an Atlas rocket and Mercury capsule in his barn, and plans to orbit the earth. Of course, he makes the government nervous when he tries to buy ten thousand pounds of rocket fuel...the government, the bank, and total strangers conspire to kill his dream...but the human spirit triumphs. Also quite enjoyable. The ending might be predictable, but there's a whammy of an Act 2 plot twist..."Field of Dreams" meets "The Right Stuff." What can I say? It won me over. Thumbs up {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited November 2007
    Two Lane Blacktop

I'd heard promising things about this. That it was supposed to be one of the great, lost films of the 70's. It's certainly a film from the 70's. But great, I am not so sure about. It is beguiling. Warren Oates is as good as ever as a middle-aged ex-military pilot driving a fancy car he bought with his winnings in Vegas, who finds himself involved in a race with two young dropouts. Maybe it's power comes from the fact that two of it's stars, Dennis Wilson and Laurie Bird, both died young.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

I always like this movie. I thought I'd kick off the holiday season with a holiday movie. I especially like Clarks meltdown after he gets his X-Mas bonus. I'd recommend this movie for the older members of the family, maybe after the little ones go to bed.

4 out of 5 stars.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope