Last film seen...

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    "The Omega Man"

As part of the ongoing cultural erudition of Loeffelholz Jr and Loeffelholz III, I've been introducing them to the films of my own youth from time to time, and this was one of those times B-)

It all started yesterday afternoon when we saw a trailer for the upcoming "I Am Legend" with Will Smith (which looks quite promising, BTW) on TV. I talked to them a bit about the great Richard Matheson (The Incredible Shrinking Man, Somewhere In Time, et al.) and then added---as an afterthought---that I had a version of I Am Legend in our film library. Well, the boys wanted to see it, and I'm always up for a bit of Chuck Heston Sci-Fi, so...

I still like this movie, after all this time, and despite a score which has become embarrassingly dated. Anthony ('Milton Krest' in LTK) Zerbe has a creepy supporting role, and Heston still looks pretty fit with his shirt off, just a couple of years after Planet of the Apes. The rather obvious final shot of Neville as a Christ figure remains one of the less subtle moments in '70s Cinema---an era already somewhat short on subtlety :D ---but a good time was had by all.

My boys are curious to see how Will Smith's 'Robert Neville' will fare in the latest remake...
    Chalk me up as another fan, (some might say fantatic) ;) of the Chukster's sci-fi endeavors.

Follow The Omega Man with the first attempt, The Last Man On Earth, an Italian effort starring Vincent Price. Not a competetely faithful version either but it's one of my favorite movies.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Just saw Beowulf. Man, CG animation of humans is getting better and better--while the people are still a little on the puppety side, they are at times eerily real. As for the movie itself: very entertaining, if bloody and violent. It also has a bit more to do with 300 than it does with the Old English poem, down to the macho posturing and homoerotic fixation on nearly naked men. If you're a Saxon scholar, though, beware: while more-or-less faithful to the source--including old Beowulf doing battle with a fire-breathing dragon--the sensibilities are entirely modern. None of that pure-superstrong-hero-doing-battle-with-the-offspring-of-Cain crap: nope, Beo' is a flawed and conflicted character who has his own sins literally come back and bite him on the tuchus. And strange that while Anthony Hopkins looks like Anthony Hopkins and Angelina Jolie looks like Angelina Jolie, Ray Winstone looks like. . . Sean Bean! Hwaet?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited November 2007
    Deadlier Then The Male

Nigel, (Green Knight), Green, as the arch villain-mastermind, (he plays a deadly game of chess I also have to add), Elke is one hot Sommer, and the most deadliest of skin, Sylva Koscina, (a major domo hottie), are his uber pair of deadly female assassins. (but really, is there any other kind?) :D

These two bodacious black widows definitely give a man one hell of a send off. A fun spy movie of the 60s. (besides, well, you know his name)

PS: Years ago, the highly knowledgable Willie Garvin recommended this to me. And here I am, still enjoying it's charm. Thanks, WG!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    The Fifth Element with Bruce Willis.

My flatmate's DVD again.

Awful, like Total Recall in the style of Richard Lester's Help! you know, the Beatles' second film in which Ringo gets a mystical ring and lots of funny foreigners run around trying to get it back, mugging and acting up in unamusing fashion. Only this is set in the future with sci-fi sets...

Of course, Total Recall had its funny moments, but these were intended to be a relief from the main action and tension. This film makes the funny stuff the main staple and it sucks. I guess it's a Hudson Hawk 2 really
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The Fifth Element with Bruce Willis.

My flatmate's DVD again.

Awful, like Total Recall in the style of Richard Lester's Help! you know, the Beatles' second film in which Ringo gets a mystical ring and lots of funny foreigners run around trying to get it back, mugging and acting up in unamusing fashion. Only this is set in the future with sci-fi sets...

Of course, Total Recall had its funny moments, but these were intended to be a relief from the main action and tension. This film makes the funny stuff the main staple and it sucks. I guess it's a Hudson Hawk 2 really
    If The Fifth Element was the one with Gary Oldman and the most terrible looking hair style of all time, then yes, it most definitely "sucked".

PS: I like the part with John and Paul attempting to persuade Ringo to cut his finger.

You don't miss your tonsils, do yer? ;)
    Yes, that's the one Alex...

BTW as we move into December I recommend Woody Allen's Love & Death, which has a nice Christmassy feel thanks to the music that runs throughout. A slow start, but really picks up. Diane Keaton is great as his crafty, libidinous unrequited love. The twitchy woman in the opera box is pretty hot too!

Some of Allen's agreeable mugging put me in mind of our very own Eric Morecambe...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    First I watched:

THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN

Good 70s paranoia sci-fi. B-)

Then on a lighter note:

TAKE THE MONEY & RUN

Warden: "What's she doing down there?"
    Virgil: "She was kissing Kowalski!"
    Warden: "Is Kowalski a midget?"
    Virgil: "NO!"

That part is genius! :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    "You cut a pretty funky caper, Batman..." :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    30 Days of Night
    I saw this film as there was nothing else that my GF was willing to see. I't a pretty bad horror film which is rarely scary throughout and did not lead me to care about any of the characters. That said, it is a vampire film and I'll take a bad vampire film over the Saw films anytime. ;) Unlike the two Saw films that I've seen, I don't regret having seen it at all.

The Age of Innocence
    I loved it. :D It's a beautiful film from the master Martin Scorsese, probably my favourite film director. The performances are terrific, the costumes and art design are stunning, Scorsese's direction is masterful and absolutely gorgeous and the screenplay is top-notch. It is IMO among Scorsese's best films. {[]

Now, I know what you are thinking; why is it that I who loves Scorsese, like Rogue loves Batman, HH loves the Craigster, Tony loves Arthur C. Clarke and JFF loves Jenny Flex; actualy, scratch that. Nobody loves anybody as much as JFF loves Jenny Flex. :))

Anyway, back onto topic; why is that I, who loves Scorsese in the way that above mentioned people (save for JFF :v) love their heroes, have never until now seen The Age of Innocence? :o Three reasons: I have no excuse, I'm only 24 and I have no excuse. ;) Yes, I said it, I have no excuse, so stop badgering me already Marty. :# BTW, Marty, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt next year should be awesome. :D One question, do you really have to work with DiCaprio? Again? :#

Anyway, as I said, IMO The Age of Innocence is a masterpiece. I truly recommend it.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Last night I watched a real gem: You Kill Me, with Ben Kingsley as an alcoholic hitman whose family (mob and otherwise) sends him to San Francisco to attend AA meetings and get straightened out--by working at a funeral parlor. Great cast and as droll, dark, and funny as an old Ealing comedy.

Before that, though, I saw Kenneth Branagh's latest take on Shakespeare: As You Like It. I wondered what kept a Branagh Shakespeare film, with such a wonderful cast, out of the theaters, and now I know: it's lifeless and boring, with the action pointlessly set among a European enclave in 19th-century Japan. Alfred Molina, with Kramer's hair, provides some laughs as Touchstone--otherwise, forget it.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    "Epic Movie"

Loeff Jr and Loeff III wanted to see this, so we rented it.

:o :s :#

93 minutes...gone forever X-(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    At least it wasn't 2 hours! :D :D
    Not totally relevent, but Top 100 Family Films on Channel 4 and not one Bond film! Star Wars, Flash Gordon, etc get in there! X-(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I think some parents find Bond films to be too adult (All the SEX!) for their children. Thank goodness mine did not! :))
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Artemis 81

Strange BBC film from 1981, in which Hwyell Bennett gets involved in supernatural going-ons. There's a lot of strange symbols, Greek alphabets, and Sting appears as a mystical creature. It's quite bizarre and I sort of lost interest. But there's an early role for Daniel Day-Lewis as a student Bennett encounters in a library.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    A Shot in the Dark (1964)

I am a HUGE Peter Sellers fan and I enjoyed this installment alot more than the more mature satire of predecessor THE PINK PANTHER. I consider that one more of a Niven movie.

In ASITD, it focuses more on Sellers' strengths and why the Clouseau mythos is so endearing to fans today. Alot of people are turned off by the later sequels (pre-1980) claiming that they're too madcap but I disagree...they were genius and GREAT entertainment. B-)

All the slo-mo and screaming.... :)) :))

Herbert Lom & Sellers have great chemistry in every one. :))

I just hated that Blake Edwards had to milk the cow bone-dry after Sellers had died. It should have ended there...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    I love A Shot In The Dark; it's probably my favorite Clouseau movie which is somewhat ironic in that the play upon which it was based had nothing to do with the bumbling French detective. I read that Blake Edwards turned it into a Clouseau vehicle to entice Peter Sellars to participate. I agree that the series should have ended with Sellars' death. The last couple of films were really starting to run on fumes and the ones made after his death were positively horrid.

My brother and I saw Alien vs. Predator on DVD again the other night. I know I'll be flamed for saying this but we actually like this one quite a bit. Yes, the film does take liberties with established Alien/Predator canon (if there really is such a thing) but the action and FX are very good and the battle with the Alien Queen at the end is top notch, far better than anything since Aliens IMHO. Paul W.S. Anderson is something of a pariah to genre fans but I think he got a bum rap on this one.
    Tell No One

This French film has had amazing reviews, but to me it's proof that some people think that anything with subtitles, no matter how overblown and ridiculous it is, must be a work of art. The premise is great, man receives an e-mail that may or may not be from the wife he thought was murdered 8 years ago. But the film can't match it, and there follows one improbable twist after another. If this was a Hollywood movie, critics would find so much to complain about. But because it's Francais, some people who really should no better have been calling it a masterpiece. It's not, but it's worth seeing.
    I agree, JD. It has good direction and characters, but by the end I couldn't figure out what was going on or how... very implausible. Nice scenes around Parc Monceau, however. And a very sinister female henchperson.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    And a very sinister female henchperson.

She was great. Get her a female partner and put her in Bond 22 and we could have the Bambi and Thumper for the late 00's.

I saw Hitman the other day, which was just as daft as Tell No One, but entertaining in a Transporter kind of way. And yet it got terrible reviews. It had some decent fight sequences and a fine leading performance from Timothy Olyphant. But the snootiness of some critics. :(|) The only notable exception was bizarrely enough, Roger Ebert, whose review explained why he liked it despite his better judgement. :)) Good to see him back at work after his illness.
    edited December 2007
    Halloween (2007)

I think I'm going to break up with my girlfriend. :# Earlier this week, we went to see the remake of Halloween. I loved the original and it remains IMO one of the greatest horror films of all time. However the remake was incredibly ugly and shows that Hollywood should perhaps reconsider remaking horror classics. 2007's Halloween was so bad that I considered walking out; and would have if I was alone. I really hated it and I can't think of any good things about it.

I will instead say the three worst things about it. The third worst thing is that we find out how Michael came to be. Not only is it not needed (beyond the basic details that the original provided) and certainly not wanted on my part, but I think it's extremely stupid. :(

The second worst thing was that Rob Zombie (the director) displays a complete lack of subtlety. Wheres the original (like other 70's horror films) was extremely subtle, this one just kept on shoving the viewer's face in all of its ugliness.

The worst thing has to be the appearance of the once brilliant Malcolm McDowell. :# (He was fine in it, but I'm horrified that his career was in such bad shaoe that he to lower himself by apearing in this disgusting film. :s) Oh, and did I mention that the film demystifies Michael? 8-)

You know, thinking about it, I'm not going to break up with my girlfriend. I'm simply going to insist that I have more say in what films we see. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Glad you're not going to throw your relationship away over a movie Dan...

...Wait a minute. What's her opinion of CR? :v

:))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    edited December 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Glad you're not going to throw your relationship away over a movie Dan...
    Well, I thought about it. I mean, being with her offers me countless delights, but I don't want to see another film like 2007's Halloween again. :s But then again, she is too good for me. She could be with anybody she wants, while I am incredibly lucky that she choose to be with me, so I don't think I'll sacrifice what I have, even though her film taste isn't great. ;)
    Tee Hee wrote:
    ...Wait a minute. What's her opinion of CR? :v

:))
    She actually hasn't seen it. She's not a big Bond fan (actually, she doesn't much like Bond at all :(), and both times I saw CR at the cinemas, I saw it by myself (there are some films that I prefer to see by myself such as action films.)

However, I'm sure that she wouldn't have loved it as she doesn't like Craig. She thinks he is ugly and is still stunned that he was hired. What can I say, she's an incredibly intelligent woman. :D :x
    edited December 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    I saw Hitman the other day, which was just as daft as Tell No One, but entertaining in a Transporter kind of way. And yet it got terrible reviews. It had some decent fight sequences and a fine leading performance from Timothy Olyphant. But the snootiness of some critics. :(|) The only notable exception was bizarrely enough, Roger Ebert, whose review explained why he liked it despite his better judgement. :)) Good to see him back at work after his illness.
    I can NOT wait to see Hitman.

You know, those critics who take an 'ivory tower' approach to films don't impress me. In fact, should I ever become a critic (which almost certainly won't happen), I would hate to become one of those critics.

This actually makes me really angry. The idea that a film, or a book or a play, has to be of a certain genre to be 'good', and can't be of a certain genre in which case it won't be 'good', is absolutely nonsence. In literature, the genres that are most picked on are fantasy, horror and science-fiction. Well, some of the greatest authors of all time (such as Dante, Wells, Shelley, Heinlen and King) have worked in these genres. Even Shakespeare worked in horror, what with his fixation on ghosts.

Then in cinema, genre films and video game adaptations are singled out. It drives me crazy at the 'ivory tower' approach as some of the worst films of all time are arthouse/independent films, not every French New Wave film was good, some films which regularly crop up in university/school film courses are enormously overrated and some of the greatest films of all time are genre films (such as horror film Psycho, western The Searchers, Gangster film The Godfather and action film Die Hard.)

*Ebert (and, indeed, it is good to see him back at work) once said that a film should be judged solely on what it sets out to achieve. That is, each film has a function, and so it should be judged on whether it has fulfilled that function. The reality is that some films are perhaps more ambitious than others, but a film shouldn't be criticised if it wants to give the viewer a good time rather than challence Citizen Kane for the title of 'greatest film in history.'

As I said above, I am desperate to see Hitman. I think it looks brilliant, and as a lover of action films, it is right up my alley. I don't expect it to be another Citizen Kane and I would not it to be. I don't pretend to be anywhere the world's authority on cinema (Martin Scorsese :D) but I don't particularly respect the knowledge of those who are unable to see that simply because a film is, :o, a video game adaptation, doesn't mean it can't be 'good' (however one defines 'good.')

One last point: critics who adopt the 'ivory tower' approach conveniently forget that Hitchcock was a genre filmmaker. A genius, one of the greatest directors of all time, but ultimately a director of thrillers and adventure films. In fact, Shakespeare also did much ork in horror and romance, yet was arguably brilliant not because of what he wrote but how he wrote it.

*Ebert made a comment about a horror film (I believe it was the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) in which he suggested that it was better made than a horror film deserved. :s Uh, since when do horror films not deserve to be well made? Should Psycho not have been brilliantly made since it was a mere horror film? I'm sorry everybody for this rant, but the idea that certain genres are not worthy or that great films can't be genre films, annoys the heck out of me. X-(
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,871MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    This actually makes me really angry. The idea that a film, or a book or a play, has to be of a certain genre to be 'good', and can't be of a certain genre in which case it won't be 'good', is absolutely nonsence. In literature, the genres that are most picked on are fantasy, horror and science-fiction. Well, some of the greatest authors of all time (such as Dante, Wells, Shelley, Heinlen and King) have worked in these genres. Even Shakespeare worked in horror, what with his fixation on ghosts.

But then Bourne Ultimatum, which is an action film about a hitman who doesn't know who he is, got rave reviews from everywhere- so I don't think that it's the genre that's the issue. I am more inclined to believe that it's simply not up to much.
    Running Scared

With Paul Walker as a criminal out to find the gun used by his boss to kill an undercover policeman. It was far better than I expected it to be. There's a seriously creepy scene with a couple who abduct children. The wife is played by the actress who plays Juliet in Lost. She is the female Christopher Walken. Just terrifying.
  • JamesbondjrJamesbondjr Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Just watched the Golden Compass.

I've never read the books (i will now), and the story seemed a bit jumbled to be honest, I think people familiar with the books will understand it better. It felt to me like strands from a much larger story thrown together in a not too convincing fashion. I've heard people who are unfamiliar with the Harry Potter books say the same about the films.

CGI is good and there are some half decent action sequences, even if they are a bit on the short side.

Daniel Craig is good, but not in it a great deal. Eva Green is ok in it but again, not in it for very long. I imagine they will play bigger roles in the following two films.

Overall I enjoyed it and now want to read the books to shed some light on the story. And of course to see what happens next
    1- On Her Majesty's Secret Service 2- Casino Royale 3- Licence To Kill 4- Goldeneye 5- From Russia With Love
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,471Chief of Staff
    edited December 2007
    Stardust

...was dragged to see this by Bride Of Barbel, who's very into this sort of thing (eg, she reads Pullman, etc). It was surprisingly enjoyable- loads of CGI of course, but it wasn't as formula-bound as, say, Eragon, which was another one I was obliged to watch. Excellent performance from De Niro (of course) and a small part from Henry Cavill.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Vertigo

My wife and I got a coupon for 5 movies for $5 and so rented a few that we have been wanting to see but never had. My wife had never seen Vertigo, and she absolutely loved it. She didn't see all the twists and turns coming, and the movie exceeded her expectations. What a great film, certainly my favorite from Hitchcock.

Other films we are watching this week:

-Labyrinth...what a creepy little kids movie. A classic from my childhood and one my wife hadn't seen. The only creepier kids movie I've seen is Time Bandits (midgets travelling through time and stealing crap, what a brilliant idea).

-Holiday Inn...this is with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, it features the first time Bing sang White Christmas, a good little warm movie with a fun early movies story.

-Shakespeare In Love...we are going to watch this one tonight. I have always wanted to see the movie that beat out Saving Private Ryan for best picture.

-Bewitched...this one was my wife's choice. It's alright. There are a few parts that get me to laugh ("SHERPA!!!). I've seen better from both Kidman and Ferrel.
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Elegiac western about the relationship between a legend and his killer. Pitt has never been better as Jesse James, while Casey Affleck more than matches him as Ford, a starstruck lackey, who wants to make a name for himself.

For me it's easily the film of the year, even eclipsing Zodiac. The score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is amazing. The film is long and slow, with little in the way of action. Instead it focuses on the disintegration of the James gang, the inevitable death of it's leader, and the contempt shown towards Ford afterwards. If you've ever seen and loved Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, then you must see this film.