Last film seen...

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    If you're talking about Strikes Again Alex, I think you're wrong; Lesley Ann doesn't get anywhere near the castle, she seduces Clouseau in a hotel room. Clouseau copies that going under the bedclothes trick she does in The First Great Train Robbery.

That's what passed for sex on screen in the 70s; like the Joan Collins' film The B**** is just bonking with a red lightbulb on, missionary style.
    I distinctly remember. It took place at the finale with Tom Jones on.

Sellers with a necktie around his forehead.
    Plenty of bubbles.
    The lovely Leslie.
    Finally an explosion destroys the castle wall.
    They both fall into the surrounding moat.

As a boy, you don't forget those important things in life :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,421MI6 Agent
    No No No No No!

Unless it's another castle. It's not the medieval castle in which Herbert Lom gets up to his villainy, because that gets vanished by the Professor's errant laser... Maybe it is another castle, the rest of your description holds up. I thought it was a river they fell into, the Seine I mean. Oh well, will have another look at Lesley... or is it Leslie>? ?:)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    I love both those movies.

Weaker they may be, however I derive an extreme amount of pleasure from The Return of the PP and The PP Strikes Again. The former was originally shot for television, and in my opinion contains some of the funniest Sellers scenes ever. (just check out the vacuum cleaner and parrot segment)

I never knew that Returns was a made for TV movie; I always assumed it was a theatrical release. As much as I enjoyed Peter Sellars' work in these movies, Herbert Lom's twitchy-eyed Dreyfuss was my favorite character. Watching him slowly sink into madness as he tries to cope with Clouseau was always a hoot for me.
    I have very fond memories of both these as a boy, a scantily clad Lesley Anne Downe in a medieval castle remained in my adolescent hormones for a very VERY long time. :x

Same here. I had a MAJOR crush on Leslie Ann Down after seeing her in this. If only all Russian Assasins were so attractive.
    No No No No No!

Unless it's another castle. It's not the medieval castle in which Herbert Lom gets up to his villainy, because that gets vanished by the Professor's errant laser... Maybe it is another castle, the rest of your description holds up. I thought it was a river they fell into, the Seine I mean. Oh well, will have another look at Lesley... or is it Leslie>? ?:)

I always thought it was back at his hotel and the outside wall just faced a river or lake. BTW, just how does Dreyfuss return for Revenge of the Pink Panther after being disintegrated in this one?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,421MI6 Agent
    No No No No No!

Sorry, sound like Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast there... :))
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    The Mist

Tiresome horror with Thomas Jane trapped in a shop. Quite why the gifted Jane felt the need to turn down The Punisher sequel when this is all Hollywood has to offer him is beyond me.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Watched Hitman -because I wanted to check out the new Bond Girl - I quite enjoyed the movie actually -a smartly dressed assassin looking out for a sexy female - seems familiar -I'm not sure why. ;)

Seriously this film had some decent enough fight and action scenes in it although the plot wasn't exactly
    sophisticated -it was a worthy enough 90 mins of escapism. :)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    The Usual Suspects

Using a mix of narration and flashback, The Usual Suspects is Bryan Singer's tribute to film-noir and tells the story of Verbal Kint, a small-time con who is the subject of a police investigation. The story revolves around a massacre and massive fire on a ship docked at the Port of Los Angeles and the possible involvement of an almost mythical crimelord called Keyser Soze. While at first seeming like a hopelessly convoluted story, everything suddenly becomes shockingly clear in the final scenes of the movie.

I'd heard a lot of good things about this one but had never seen it. The plot is somewhat convoluted (a necessity that becomes clear when you reach the end) but the acting is top notch all around and the twist at the end is a real doozy.

Singer may have earned RogueAgent's everlasting contempt after Superman Returns, but this is a very solid offering by the director and shows that he works best with character pieces and an ensenble cast.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    TonyDP wrote:
    The Usual Suspects

Singer may have earned RogueAgent's everlasting contempt after Superman Returns, but this is a very solid offering by the director and shows that he works best with character pieces and an ensenble cast.

This was one of Singer's gems, that I had the upmost optimism of how I thought Superman Returns was going to be a predestined classic. Then I saw it and my faith in the guy was dashed against the proverbial rocks... :#

SR was way out of his league but Suspects is very good indeed. One of my son's favorite pictures too. I agree with your review, Tony. B-)

Keiser Soze needs his own film.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    WARNING: This post contains spoilers relating to The Usual Suspects. Do not read ahead if you are yet to see the film. I take no responsibility for any lack of enjoyment that might occur as a result of anyone reading my post, without having seen the film first. ;)

I agree with both of you. The Usual Suspects is a fantastic film and blows me away every time I see it. The performances are fantastic (especially that of Spacey who is magnificent and won a much-deserved Oscar) while the writing (especially of the final scenes) is masterful.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Keiser Soze needs his own film.
    I don't know about that. *Spacey is terrific, but I'm not particularly interested in seeing a film about him as Soze. What I love about Soze is his mystery; the fact that everybody knows he exists but nobody knows who he is. Short of that, I adore the story about his killing his family and all of his enemies and their families, so if there were to be a film about him (which I don't think there should be) it should feature that particular episode in his life and perhaps be about him becoming the legend that he is.

*I don't think that Spacey is as good as he once was and IMO he was the single worst thing about SR.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Zoltan-Hound of Dracula

Enjoyable 70's horror in which Drac's pooch is brought back to life and goes searching for the last human ancestor of Dracula, with the aim of turning him into his master.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    The Water Horse

An amusing family film in the mould of E.T. and Free Willy. The lead child actor is quite competent, as are the CGI effects, but the film suffers from uneven shifts in tone towards the end.

3/5
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Mr. Brooks. Was this a serial killer movie or a soap opera? Pillar of the Community Kevin Costner tries to cope with his "addiction" to killing, while he is harrowed at all turns by his alter ego (manifested by William Hurt), by a sleazy Dane Cook (if that isn't an oxymoron) who's trying to blackmail him, and by his pregnant college drop-out daughter--who might be a serial killer herself. Meanwhile Detective Demi Moore, who's really an heiress, tries to catch the serial killer while ducking the escaped con who's sworn to kill her and while she battles the gigolo who's divorcing her. What a concoction! For years Kevin Costner has been hellbent on destroying his career--but why is he taking Bill Hurt and a few other talented performers (not including Cook) with him?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Alex wrote:
    I love both those movies.

Weaker they may be, however I derive an extreme amount of pleasure from The Return of the PP and The PP Strikes Again. The former was originally shot for television, and in my opinion contains some of the funniest Sellers scenes ever. (just check out the vacuum cleaner and parrot segment)

I have very fond memories of both these as a boy, a scantily clad Lesley Anne Downe in a medieval castle remained in my adolescent hormones for a very VERY long time. :x

Couldn't agree more, Alex {[] {[] {[]

Return is a blast, as far as I'm concerned---and Christopher Plummer strikes me, in parts, as very Bond-like in that one. And Strikes Again is Clouseau-as-Bond, and I loved it...the novelisation was hilarious as well...it was better than at least two of Moore's so-called 'legitimate' Bond franchise entries, IMO...

Strikes Again should have been the swan-song, given Sellers' untimely death :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Return is a film which unites my mother and I. To this day, whenever I visit, in my best Clouseau accent,(which I've had plenty of well wasted time mastering), I'll ask her, "do you have a rheuum?" To which she'll reply, "Do you have a reservation?"

It's enticed many strange looks from friends and family and has remained a private joke between us. ;)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Mr. Brooks. Was this a serial killer movie or a soap opera? Pillar of the Community Kevin Costner tries to cope with his "addiction" to killing, while he is harrowed at all turns by his alter ego (manifested by William Hurt), by a sleazy Dane Cook (if that isn't an oxymoron) who's trying to blackmail him, and by his pregnant college drop-out daughter--who might be a serial killer herself. Meanwhile Detective Demi Moore, who's really an heiress, tries to catch the serial killer while ducking the escaped con who's sworn to kill her and while she battles the gigolo who's divorcing her.
    :)) It is indeed ridiculous. I don't think it is a bad film (I liked the performances and the central concept) but it is certainly a film that probably appeared much better on paper than it eventuated as. Nonetheless, if I ever become a serial killer, I want William Hurt to be my alter ego. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited January 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Dane Cook
    Dane Cook is about as funny as chronic diarrhea. I'll never comprehend what the public sees in this guy. Actual "comedy" in his shtick is nonexistent as far as this fan is concerned. Watching him perform is more painful then hemorrhoids.
    A couple of music biopics.

Control

Sensitive portrayal of Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division. It's essentially a kitchen sink drama with some great music. If the 70's were that bleak then I can't blame Curtis for opting out.

I'm Not There

Todd Haynes deconstruction of the myth of Bob Dylan. Six different actors, including Richard Gere, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett and Heath Ledger portray different aspects of the Dylan legend, although none of them are actually named Bob Dylan. Blanchett is remarkable, but for me the most interesting sequences involves Richard Gere in a reworking of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Next

An amusing yet entertaining action thriller, starring Nicolas Cage, Julianne Moore and Jessica Biel, and directed by none other than Lee Tamahori :p.

The cast give reasonably serious performances, there's action sequences which are well-staged, and the film has cheeky humour to spare.

Its something of a redemption for Tamahori, after Die Another Day and XXX 2.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    Mr. Sardonicus

Enjoyable 60s horror hokum from the master of hype & Barnum & Bailey ballyhoo, Mr. William Castle. (who gave us House on Haunted Hill and The Tingler, among others)

There's always a gimmick in Castle's films, HOH had a flying skeleton on wires, The Tingler had electric buzzers under theater seats, (my father saw that one in '59), and here the film breaks for a "punishment poll", where members of the audience can vote on the villain's fate by holding Roman Caesar inspired thumbs up/down cards.

Sardonicus' visage obviously inspired by Conrad Veidt's The Man Who Always Laughs

A fun time is guaranteed.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Nonetheless, if I ever become a serial killer, I want William Hurt to be my alter ego. :D

I'd have to concur on that. But I'd rather have William Hurt (Richie Cusack) from A History Of Violence . Someone to motivate me and call me Bro-Han.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    My Blueberry Nights

Wong Kar-Wai, the Hong Kong filmmaker whose beautiful, neon-lit, bitterweet romances, include Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, and 'Follow', the third episode in the BMW internet series The Hire, makes his first American feature. Unfortunately it's awful.

Wong breaks one of the cardinal rules of making a good film. Never, EVER, cast Jude Law. My Blueberry Nights might have been watchable if it had a decent leading man, but Law is inert. Wong Kar-Wai's HK films starred charismatic actors like Tony Leung, Andy Lau or the late Leslie Cheung. 'Follow' got the best out of Clive Owen. Law is lifeless in comparison.

Norah Jones plays a young waitress who meets a Diner owner, (Law), and maintains a correspondence with him while travelling and working through America. MBN is all cliched Americana; diners, gamblers, lonely barflys and loose women with big hearts. It's like an outsider's view of what America is, gleamed from films and books. I didn't believe it for a moment, and I've never been to America. God knows what anybody who actually lives there thinks. It's a real shame. Wong Kar-Wai has such talent, but it's difficult to see where he goes from here.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    THE WOMAN IN BLACK

thiswomaninblackexudesmenace.jpg

Like I've said before, this is a pretty good Brit horror movie for tv. I couldn't find it on DVD so I watched it on a VHS tape I recorded it on many years ago from A&E. I haven't seen it in broadcast since. I've developed a tolerance to it with each viewing but that last scene is still disturbing... :s

I'll try and find the Susan Hill novel one of these days. B-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    "The Kingdom"

A really well-made action thriller about a team of FBI crime scene investigators who travel to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to investigate a suicide bomb attack on Americans there. Solid performances from Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner (who looks great even when bloody and beaten :x ), Chris Cooper and Jason Bateman---as well as a great turn from the Pakistani actor who played the Saudi cop (his name escapes me).

This film is very even-handed, balanced and non-politically judgmental (oh so rare these days) in its examination of clashing cultures---and Act 3 is a wild, slam-bang ride of wrecking cars, RPGs, automatic weapons and room-to-room combat :o

Recommended with confidence.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    THE WOMAN IN BLACK

thiswomaninblackexudesmenace.jpg

Like I've said before, this is a pretty good Brit horror movie for tv. I couldn't find it on DVD so I watched it on a VHS tape I recorded it on many years ago from A&E. I haven't seen it in broadcast since. I've developed a tolerance to it with each viewing but that last scene is still disturbing... :s

I'll try and find the Susan Hill novel one of these days. B-)

This is one movie I would love to see. The stage play is still going strong ( plus it is on the school syllabus) but the movie is hard to get hold off though I'm sure good old ebay may be able to help at a price ;)

As for the last scene, I've seen that. YouTube has clips on it. Even in isolation it was unnerving.

No doubt there will be a 'remake' at some stage. 8-)
    edited January 2008
    "3:10 To Yuma"

Like highhopes said, this one is very, very good...it's nice to see them making westerns every now and then---a quintessentially American medium...starring an Aussie and a Brit :D

The performances are great from the top down, the rising tension and action perfectly pitched, and the climax most satisfying---even if highly unlikely :v

I'm going to watch it one more time before Netflix gets it back B-)
    Southland Tales

On the one hand this is a pretentious mess. I can understand why some people have been very negative about it. However ST has more imagination than in it than twenty other Hollywood films. Although some of those imaginings owe a great deal to the work of Philip K Dick, they are beautifully realised. Here's three things I loved about this movie.

The eclectic cast. Sarah Michelle Gellar, The Rock, Seann William Scott, Bai Ling, Justin Timberlake (who's quite good) and best of all, Christopher Lambert as an arms dealer selling his wares from an ice-cream truck.

A rogue cop, quoting the title of PKD's novel, Flow my Tears, The Policeman Said as he shoots a couple.

Justin Timberlake miming along to The Killers track 'All these things that I have done,' for an elaborate song and dance routine.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Last night I watched "After the Sunset" with Pierce Brosnan and company. It was a pretty entertaining movie, although not a classic by any means.

My favorite part was when Pierce's character loses the FBI agent chasing him in the midst of the Junkanoo down in Jamaica. I couldn't help but revel in TB memories and the appropriateness of the late JB actor PB losing a pursuer the same way that good ole' SC did way back when. Good stuff. :007)
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Plan 9 from outer space...believe it or not I think I've seen other films that were just as bad , that's why I don't like when people say such & such movie is "the worst ever" cause there's always worse if you keep looking for them lol ;)
    ohmss1969 wrote:
    Plan 9 from outer space...believe it or not I think I've seen other films that were just as bad , that's why I don't like when people say such & such movie is "the worst ever" cause there's always worse if you keep looking for them lol ;)
    Don't let the army brass muzzle you, Plan 9 is a gem. ;)
    Charlie Wilson's War

Smug drama about a US politician, a rogue CIA agent and Julia Roberts arming the Mujahedin against the Red Army. It's witty, but like everything Aaron Sorkin writes, just oh so pleased with itself.