Last film seen...

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    HEAVY METAL

The first actual piece of animation that I was ever impressed with coming up as a teen. Some of the stories within this film I can remember from the magazine rather vividly and each segment does its best to stay faithful with each style. On a whole, I think that this movie's achievements set the bar for animated projects to come at the time. Too bad that this realistic style has nearly gone the wayside... 8-)

I hear that there was sequel but I never had the pleasure of seeing it yet. Some have told that that it falls short of its predecessor though.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Death Defying Acts

Middlebrow period drama from Gillian Armstrong. Catherine Zeta-Jones and that kid from Atonement are a Scottish mother and daughter con-artist team, who try and put one over on Harry Houdini when he visits Edinburgh. Houdini is excellently played by Guy Pearce but there is no chemistry between him and CZJ.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    Death Defying Acts

Middlebrow period drama from Gillian Armstrong. Catherine Zeta-Jones and that kid from Atonement are a Scottish mother and daughter con-artist team, who try and put one over on Harry Houdini when he visits Edinburgh. Houdini is excellently played by Guy Pearce but there is no chemistry between him and CZJ.
    The disappointing thing for me, is that apart from the fact that I think that adding romance to such a story is completely unnecessary, Guy Pearce is not a very prolific actor, and so when he makes films, I want them to be special (like Memento and The Proposition.) This isn't special. :#
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    My brother and I treated ourselves to a Schwarzenegger BluRay double feature today:

Predator
    20th Century Fox just released a BluRay edition of the classic action film. Arnold Schwarzenegger is the leader of a band of elite mercenaries who are hunted down, one by one, by an unseen alien hunter.

The final confrontation between the Governator and the Predator is one of the great one on one battles put to film and it works because Scharzenegger was smart (and brave) enough to allow the character of the Predator to be physically superior to him in every way. That gives the hero a human vulnerability and makes his plight much more believable.

The BluRay edition is a step up over the old standard definition DVD but it also highlights the fact that this was a relatively low budget movie shot on average film stock. Picture quality varies wildly from shot to shot and the limits of the on location shoot do unfortunately show thru from time to time.

Terminator 3
    Dan Same may not appreciate this one, but it's still our favorite Terminator film. Far tighter and more well paced that T2 the film is essentially one long chase sequence as John Connor, Catherine Brewster and Arnold try to survive the latest assasination attempt by a future Terminator as the clock inexorably counts down to Judgment Day.

Arnold gives a pretty brave performance in this one; he isn't afraid to have some fun with his Terminator persona but still delivers the action when it counts. He also has a chance to do some legitimate acting in a few scenes as well.

The BluRay transfer for this one fares much better: detail really pops out, sound is beefier all around and the colors are that much more vibrant. There's also a nifty "in-movie experience" feature with audio commentary and pop-up windows showing how key scenes were filmed. A significantly superior upgrade from the standard DVD.
    edited April 2008
    TonyDP wrote:
    Terminator 3
    Dan Same may not appreciate this one, but it's still our favorite Terminator film. Far tighter and more well paced that T2.
    X-( You're definitely right. I don't appreciate this at all. You know, Tony, just because I don't vent my anger in the same way against those who criticise T2 as Rogue does against those who criticise Batman, does not mean that I don't possess the power to reach out to you. :v Make no mistake about it Tony, just as the T-1000 failed to accomplish his mission, so will you fail to accomplish your mission of damaging the masterpiece that is T2!

Oh, and BTW, one thing that will ensure that you don't take number 1 spot on my hit list is that you love Predator, another Arnie masterpiece. I'm happy that there is at least one Arnie classic (and the original Terminator) that you appreciate. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    X-( You're definitely right. I don't appreciate this at all. You know, Tony, just because I don't vent my anger in the same way against those who criticise T2 as Rogue does against those who criticise Batman, does not mean that I don't possess the power to reach out to you. :v Make no mistake about it Tony, just as the T-1000 failed to accomplish his mission, so will you fail to accomplish your mission of damaging the masterpiece that is T2!

I like it when you talk tough Dan, it makes me laugh. And if RogueAgent were here, he'd laugh too. ;)

R0000122.jpg

So tell me Dan, just who is number 1 on your hitlist?

I'm really disappointed at your anger; I even went out of my way to praise Arnold's performance. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about Terminator 3? Other than the fact that the overrated James Cameron isn't involved. :p
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    TonyDP wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

I like it when you talk tough Dan, it makes me laugh. And if RogueAgent were here, he'd laugh too. ;)

R0000122.jpg

I'm really disappointed at your anger; I even went out of my way to praise Arnold's performance. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about Terminator 3? Other than the fact that the overrated James Cameron isn't involved. :p

"I like you, Dan - you're a funny guy...that's why I'm going to kill you last..." :D

My son and I love T3. IMO, it knew its place and was a very good sequel to round off the franchise.

Dan, Tony, Rogue, can I just expand this argument by claiming that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is better than any of the films. :)
    edited April 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    Dan, Tony, Rogue, can I just expand this argument by claiming that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is better than any of the films. :)

I'll match your hand and raise it, JD. The original's the one to beat. :)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited April 2008
    "Eastern Promises"

Once upon a time, David Cronenberg made some very disturbing sci-fi pictures---his remake of The Fly is my own personal favourite---but lately, he's turned his offbeat and disturbing eye toward crime pictures, the consequences of violence.

His latest is the excellent Promises, which I found quite riveting. Like A History of Violence, this one features a superb performance by Viggo Mortensen, who seems to be carving quite a niche for himself in this genre.

This tale of the white slave trade---as administered by the Russian Mafia in London---does a nice job of drawing us into that world, using Naomi Watts' "ordinary, nice girl next door" character as a means to that end. Watts (who is, my opinion, one of the most appealing actresses working in film today) portrays a midwife who works at a local hospital where a baby is born to a very young Russian girl who does not survive delivery. This girl leaves behind a diary that sends Watts on a collision course with a dark and violent sub-culture.

This film features one of the most violent scenes I can remember---which also contains more of Viggo Mortensen's anatomy than I needed to see :o Overall, this one certainly earns its 'R' rating with flying colours, but I highly recommend it for anyone with the proper constitution B-)

For my own part, I hope Mr. Cronenberg continues to make crime pictures {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited April 2008
    RogueAgent wrote:
    "I like you, Dan - you're a funny guy...that's why I'm going to kill you last..." :D
    "But I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*****' amuse you? X-("
    RogueAgent wrote:
    My son and I love T3. IMO, it knew its place and was a very good sequel to round off the franchise.
    It's a fun film. Whenever it's on TV, if I'm home, I always watch a bit of it.
    edited April 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is brilliant, you won't get any arguments from me on that (need I point out that I recognised its brilliance long before you did :v) but IMO, as good as it is, it's not as good as the first two films. It's vastly superior to the third film, and is a magnificent TV show in its own right, but IMO falls short of the brilliance of the first two films.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,421MI6 Agent
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The 1930s version with Charles Laughton. Great stuff, with superb sets - I'm not sure how they did it because is seems to be Notre Dame itself, but of course from 1850-70 the area around it was trashed to make way for Hausemann's wide boulevards that make up the modern Paris. Hunchback is set around 1500, with a creaky reference to 'that fool' Columbus who thinks the world is round.

A hugely entertaining classic, unlike the novel which is hard to get into - I may give it another go by dipping into it.

The film was shown on BBC4 as part of its medieval season.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Dan Same wrote:
    It's a fun film. Whenever it's on TV, if I'm home, I always watch a bit of it.

I'm hoping that someone can convince Arnold to do a cameo in the new one coming up with Bale. B-)

TonyDP wrote:
    Well, that position is everchanging but nobody should ever want to be on my list, I can assure you that. :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about Terminator 3?
    Well, I don't dislike it (it's pretty harmless), but what I don't like are that IMO Stahl's Connor is pretty disappointing (especially when contrasted to the John Connor of T2 and the TV show), the action scenes IMO are a letdown from T2 (although I liked the scene with the coffin), some of the dialogue (such as the 'talk to my hand') really annoyed me, and unlike T2 which had me crying at the end, I didn't really care all that much that Arnie's character in T3 died. I liked him (he is Arnie after all :D), but I didn't really feel for him. I also think the plot is pretty thin, the film itself isn't as fresh or creative as the first two films, and it just isn't as entertaining.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I'm hoping that someone can convince Arnold to do a cameo in the new one coming up with Bale. B-)
    Me too. That would be great. However what would also be fantastic if is the new film is presented as a sequel rather than a revision. :#
  • SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    I prefer Arnold's deaths in Terminator and T3 over the emo death and Furlong's whining in T2 any day. I also can't stand Linda Hamilton's transformation from Terminator to T2.
    edited April 2008
    His character also died in Terminator and T2 ?:)
    Well, yes (although technically they were not the same characters) but I was only truly upset by Arnie's dying in T2. I must confess, I'm confused as to why you're confused. ?:)
  • Dominic GreeneDominic Greene Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    edited April 2008
    John Carpenter's - The Thing

I Watched this again last night, and it's still a great movie.
    I loved it when I was a kid. Knew it backwards.
    It's still a strong exercise in paranoia, with a good ensemble cast.

It's interesting, because at the time it was such an effects driven film, and it was marketed on its innovative visual effects, however today those same effects seem dated, and it is the human drama that really keeps the film interesting.
    It's still fresh and gripping, and genuinely frightening in places.

Carpenter manages to balance the gross out visuals with some real moments of tension and creepy elements. The expolration of the Norweigan base is a perfect example of this, and forshadows the events to follow.
    Oooh, you liar! You watched I Am Legend last night!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dominic GreeneDominic Greene Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Oooh, you liar! You watched I Am Legend last night!
    & The Thing!! 8-)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    edited April 2008
    "Cloverfield"

Second viewing for the boys and myself, as we saw it in the cinema, during opening week---and again yesterday, when the DVD was released in the U.S. This one is a lot of fun; very original and pretty f*****g scary at times. As I believe I said in my initial review, there is a moment in this picture where the viewer (provided nothing has been spoilt for him/her by annoying friends!) is treated to quite a delicious thrill of genuine horror :o

Those concerned about the rampant reports of motion sickness in theatres (because of the shaky, 'hand-held' camera style of The Blair Witch Project) can take some heart in that this effect is greatly lessened on the smaller screen at home. Still, in the interest of full disclosure, this film is stylistically intended to portray huge events through the single eye of one amateur video camera, so that's what you get. However, I sincerely think it's worth that inconvenience.

Looking forward to the sequel... B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Alex wrote:
    John Drake wrote:

No idea how to play poker Alex, but I will throw another card on the deck in the form of Demons 2, which I finally saw yesterday. As entertaining as the original, with a very young, and almost unrecognisable Asia Argento in one of her first roles
    John Drake wrote:
    Alex wrote:
    John Drake wrote:

No idea how to play poker Alex, but I will throw another card on the deck in the form of Demons 2, which I finally saw yesterday. As entertaining as the original, with a very young, and almost unrecognisable Asia Argento in one of her first roles
    Another good one is Argento & Michele Soavi's The Church, made around the same period. Asia's around 13 in it, the intelligent heroine whose story no one believes. Not a bad flick with some interesting takes on satanism and of course great visuals.
    Outland or bits of it.

Connery gives a commanding performance unlike that of NSNA two years later. He works best when he's on a credible storyline.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Somebody I know once told me Outland was High Noon in space, and y'know, he had a point.
    Alex wrote:
    Another good one is Argento & Michele Soavi's The Church, made around the same period. Asia's around 13 in it, the intelligent heroine whose story no one believes. Not a bad flick with some interesting takes on satanism and of course great visuals.

I love Soavi's work. Great director.

I saw a terrible film the other day with Helen Mirren of all people playing a hitwoman. :s It was called Shadow Boxer or something. It was unwatchable so I stopped watching. All say a prayer for Cuba Gooding Jr. If this is what winning an Oscar does for your career, then Javier Bardem should be worried.

And so Bardem should, because I've also just seen Love in the Time of Cholera and catching cholera is probably more fun. God knows, the leading character wasn't particularly likable in the original novel by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but he comes across as even more of a t**t in the film. Avoid, as if it were dirty water in a drinking glass.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Funny Girl

Barbra & Omar have good chemistry and the songs are top notch....this is Barbra at her very best & prolly one that she'll be best remembered for after her death (sadly the reaper comes to us all...such is life I guess....)
    Who Saw Her Die (1972)

George Lazenby is a Venice sculptor whose young daughter is found murdered and he's damned straight going to find the piece of filth who committed the vile deed.

This disturbing and artistic early seventies gialli contains a wonderful Ennio Morricone score composed of school choirs. (I'd love to get this on cd)

A briskly paced and inquisitive murder mystery that deserves to be seen. Although the young child's death might be too much for some viewers. It angered me upon first viewing.

Lazenby's performance is edgy and sympathetic, though the English dubbing deters from this slightly, Adolfo Celi brings support to the cast as his employer and child actress Nicoletta Elmi, (whose familiar visage in the title role also appears in many a film of this ilk) are on hand as well.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Who Saw Her Die (1972)

George Lazenby is a Venice sculptor whose young daughter is found murdered and he's damned straight going to find the piece of filth who committed the vile deed.

This disturbing and artistic early seventies gialli contains a wonderful Ennio Morricone score composed of school choirs. (I'd love to get this on cd)

A briskly paced and inquisitive murder mystery that deserves to be seen. Although the young child's death might be too much for some viewers. It angered me upon first viewing.

Lazenby's performance is edgy and sympathetic, though the English dubbing deters from this slightly, Adolfo Celi brings support to the cast as his employer and child actress Nicoletta Elmi, (whose familiar visage in the title role also appears in many a film of this ilk) are on hand as well.
    I have seen this film myself. I bought it a few years ago on videotape; I couldn't get it on DVD. I have to say that this is one of the very few films I have found actually disturbing, to such an extent that I found it difficult to view the thing dispassionately. The way in which the little girl's death is handled, and the way other characters behave, make for very uncomfortable viewing. I remember the score being very haunting, although I have to say that I won't be watching the film again.

I watched Golgo 13: The Professional again, a superb anime spy thriller.