Let's see your non James Bond collection

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,303MI6 Agent
    Impressive collection, Tony. I particularly enjoyed your NASCAR set. I am a fan of NASCAR, although I rarely see it now compared to a few years ago. The late great Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon will always be ranked alongside the very best, and rightly so. However, neither of them is my favourite driver. That honour goes to Dale Jarrett.

Thanks MNL. I don't watch to much NASCAR these days myself; I find the racing has become rather dull and most of the drivers are your typical talking heads with no personality. DJ is a very good driver; though I must confess not one of my favorites. Interestingly, he did a Batman themed paint scheme a few years ago. I have the die cast in storage somewhere.
  • Dell DeatonDell Deaton Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    Better late than never, I'm hoping....

This Post is spectacular! and fascinating to me how it's gone as our orbits connect beyond 007.

First off, a little surprised to see Cap appear here. I always wondered if I was somewhat unique in my interest in less powerful superhero-types, eg, Batman and Captain America (recognizing that Steve got a little somethin' extra, but after that it was pretty much just him). Whenever I watch that cello case-as-sled scene from The Living Daylights, it reminds me of his do-everything shield.

Remember when Steve Rogers "quit," to become _____?

Was out of town this weekend, but as I get more time here, I'm looking forward to catching up on Posts and commenting further.

Thanks for all this great stuff! keep it coming....
    edited April 2006
    Remember when Steve Rogers "quit," to become _____?

That would be Nomad and later The Captain. Ol' Winghead was always one of my favorites (along with Iron Man).

As soon as Randy Bowen released those statues I pounced on them. There was also a 1940's version of the Cap statue which I no longer have. It's basically the same pose and costume, but with a slightly different belt and boots, Cap's old 1940's shield, and the "helmet" style mask as opposed to the more traditional version.

Glad you like the collection. Spectreisland and I are very proud of it. If you've never seen our James Bond collection, go halfway down the page on this link. Spectreisland posted a bunch of pics some time ago...

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=23531&cpage=3

We have more items that I haven't photographed yet; as time permits I'll put them up.

Now I want to see other people's collections. Dell, I want to see some of your watches and other items. And RogueAgent, I'm still waiting for you to post up some of your artwork. -{
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Whenever I watch that cello case-as-sled scene from Licence to Kill, it reminds me of his do-everything shield.

That was actually The Living Daylights, not LtK
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    OK, I am going to be lazy about this but TRUST me you wont be sorry if you go to my link below....just click on each category that ISN'T spys to see the rest of my collection:

http://www.freewebs.com/zaritsky/
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    Whew. . .quite a tour, Mantis. Are all those goodies in your house, or do you live in a museum?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    OK, I am going to be lazy about this but TRUST me you wont be sorry if you go to my link below....just click on each category that ISN'T spys to see the rest of my collection:

I've seen your collection before. It is very cool. I must say that you certainly are an excellent collector. You jackets are really nice and you seem to take great care in keeping your collection out of harms way...
    The Mantis wrote:

Awesome collection you have Mantis; I especially love those Star Wars stormtrooper and clonetrooper helmets. Impressive, most impressive. {[]
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I was just showing my son this...Of course this just adds to his Christmas list now. He's taking notes. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    This is a very interesting thread. I really don't have much to contribute of my own, however, it seems that we have alot of collectors...I would be interested to see some other peoples collections as well...
    Well, I have well over 5000 comics in my possesion. Too overwhelming to place them all in pics and clean up.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Well, I have well over 5000 comics in my possesion. Too overwhelming to place them all in pics and clean up.

5,000??!! Wow. I remember having a few hundred at one time and thinking I needed to scale back because I didn't have adequate space for them.

These days about the only comic books I still have are some signed milestone issues (ie: Batman 500 signed by Bob Kane and stuff like that). I also have some stuff signed by Jerry Siegel and Gil Kane (I'm a big silver age Green Lantern fan).

So what are some of your favorite genres or characters? You must have some gems in that collection.
    Well, Tony out of all of my gems, this one I cherish the most I think:

http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/greenlantern76.jpg

I think at last check this mag had a $250-$325.00 value in mint condition...

Not bad for a 15-center.

Whenever I watch that cello case-as-sled scene from Licence to Kill....

That was actually The Living Daylights, not LtK

Thanks for correcting me.
    Okay, for my first substantive contribution here, how's this for out of the mainstream: I collect quotes.

Since a great deal of my work involves writing, I've also collected (altho would not consider myself a collector of) "writing" machines. Examples: The typewriter keys in many of the Quote pages images are from a vintage Woodstock my Papa Reeves used in his businesses. And I built the HeathKit H-89 featured in my Brand Communications pages (thought I was in heaven when I added two external 5.25" drives for "real" storage power!).

Yes, I drew J.R. Ewing picture; yes, G. Gordon Liddy signed my copy of his book, "Will," when I met him after an appearance here at the University of Michigan 25 years ago or so.

Thanks for letting me join you all in these more modest ways here.

Link to my Quote Collection page
    RogueAgent wrote:

Not bad for a 15-center.

Nice return on investment :)

GL/Hal Jordan is still my favorite character. My GL square face litho hangs right over my computer (watching my back as it were) and I even have an "Origin of the Green Lantern" litho signed by Gil Kane. I even used to wear a power ring (although it freaked out my coworkers when they would ask me what it was and I'd recite the oath :)) )

The GL/GA stories weren't my favorites (I like the spacebound stories more) but they were very well written. GA's "fight the system / stick it to the man" attitude was years ahead of Frank Miller.
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Not bad for a 15-center.

Nice return on investment :)

GL/Hal Jordan is still my favorite character. My GL square face litho hangs right over my computer (watching my back as it were) and I even have an "Origin of the Green Lantern" litho signed by Gil Kane. I even used to wear a power ring (although it freaked out my coworkers when they would ask me what it was and I'd recite the oath :)) )

The GL/GA stories weren't my favorites (I like the spacebound stories more) but they were very well written. GA's "fight the system / stick it to the man" attitude was years ahead of Frank Miller.

Well, according to the Overstreet Price Guide I picked up today, that GL/GA issue is worth $600.00 in mint condition. In the condition mine is in, it's only worth a little under $400.00...*sigh*

RogueAgent wrote:
    Well, according to the Overstreet Price Guide I picked up today, that GL/GA issue is worth $600.00 in mint condition. In the condition mine is in, it's only worth a little under $400.00...*sigh*

That would just about pay for a premium Xbox360. ;)
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Yeah, you're right...however I do not throw away Neal Adams art ever. Besides, I've had this book since I was a kid. Hopefully it'll increase dramatically enough to help my son through college. :)

RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Yeah, you're right...however I do not throw away Neal Adams art ever. Besides, I've had this book since I was a kid. Hopefully it'll increase dramatically enough to help my son through college. :)

I was just pulling your chain; I'd never part with most of my stuff either. Now, I assume you keep your books polybagged, vertical and out of direct sunlight, right? (I'm being dead serious, btw. The relatively few books I still own are about as protected as I can make them).
    Oh, yes, Tony. I have about 8 long boxes of polybagged & boarded comics in a temperature controlled environment.

As a matter of fact, I have in my possession, one of Stan Lee & John Romita's first works in a non-Marvel western comic from the early 50s.

A friend gave it to me as a birthday present a few years back.

• ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    edited
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Oh, yes, Tony. I have about 8 long boxes of polybagged & boarded comics in a temperature controlled environment.

As a matter of fact, I have in my possession, one of Stan Lee & John Romita's first works in a non-Marvel western comic from the early 50s.

A friend gave it to me as a birthday present a few years back.
    Wow!! A great gift!

Like Rogue, I'm a massive comic collector, though I don't buy them on a regular basis anymore. (apart from one or two titles) While I like Batman and Supes - and Cap and Bucky was one of absolute favorite titles when I was a kid, (I loved the Red Skull and Prince Namor) I've never really been into superheroes as much as the fantasy and pulp heroes. (Doc Savage, Conan, Tarzan, CREEPY and EERIE magazine, etc.)

I haven't mastered hosting my own stuff yet, but here's the pride of my collection, and it's in relatively good shape considering.

http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/conan1.jpg

By the way, RA, I too have them all boarded and pollybagged. I need to dig out my old Hulks from the 70s where he was being chased by the US army and misunderstood by everyone. Those were great reads. :)
    Nice one Alex!

Now, here's a question for you and RogueAgent that's been haunting me for almost 30 years!

Back in 1976, there was a storyline in Captain America called "The Mad Bomb". It was about the Red Skull planning to set off a bomb which would drive millions of people insane. The story was supposed to culminate with issue #200 (which would have in turn coincided with our bicentenial in 1976). Now, I read all the issues leading up to #200 but somehow I never got that one and to this day I don't know how the story ended.

Can either of you guys help me out? After 30 years, I'd like to bring some closure to this.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    Nice one Alex!

Now, here's a question for you and RogueAgent that's been haunting me for almost 30 years!

Back in 1976, there was a storyline in Captain America called "The Mad Bomb". It was about the Red Skull planning to set off a bomb which would drive millions of people insane. The story was supposed to culminate with issue #200 (which
    would have in turn coincided with our bicentenial in 1976). Now, I read all the issues leading up to #200 but somehow I never got that one and to this day I don't know how the story ended.

Can either of you guys help me out? After 30 years, I'd like to bring some closure to this.
    I remember that, Kirby's return wasn't it, (not as good though, IMO) :( I know I have those issues, and I do recall Cap was teamed with the Falcon during that run. Will have to dig them out. From memory the climax eludes me. But never fear, hopefully we can rest this issue! :)

It was those golden age compilations that I loved though, you know, Cap found in the frozen block of ice by the Avengers, brought back to society after 20 odd years - a WWII "relic" etc. (yeah, we all know the story) :)
    Alex wrote:
    I remember that, Kirby's return wasn't it, (not as good though, IMO) :( I know I have those issues, and I do recall Cap was teamed with the Falcon during that run. Will have to dig them out. From memory the climax eludes me. But never fear, hopefully we can rest this issue! :)

It was those golden age compilations that I loved though, you know, Cap found in the frozen block of ice by the Avengers, brought back to society after 20 odd years - a WWII "relic" etc. (yeah, we all know the story) :)

Right on both counts. I even remember the name of the last bomb: Big Daddy (funny how the brain retains such otherwise useless info). I remember buying a lot of those compilations, not to mention the giant size Marvel books. All of them are now gone from my collection, alas. :'(

I'd love to know how that story ended but don't go out of your way or anything.
    I can assure you that I have that story arc...Of course it would be a "pill" trying to dig it out of one of eight boxes. LOL. I think that this is the story right after Cap had his Nomad phase if I'm not mistaken...could be wrong about that though. But I have it.

• FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I think these are all fantastic collections! I haven't really ever got into comic books, though I bought this great Spiderman one when I was in Florida, but it was about $7 and I wasn't keen to subscrive regularly considering the postage too. :#
    My Doctor Who collection is growing though - considering it's been growing for less than a year. I wouldn't call myself a collector - not at the moment. Though I do have some things I'm very proud of - my friends first saw the collection recently and were gobsmacked.
    I'm very proud of my Dalek (remote control), as well as a limited edition TARDIS tin, containing The Trial of a Timelord episodes. And I have recently fell in love practically with my new action figures. I know the tin is worth at least £50 and the figures are being sold in shops for £6.99. :)) It would be nice if they're value were to increase, but I still don't think I could let go of them.
    I'm also in desperate need of completeing my James Bond video collection. All I need is Dr No and then I'll have the whole picture. :D :)) It is the reason I started buying them in the first place. :))
    And now they all have sentimental value too - which the highest price in all the Universe. :)
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
    And now they all have sentimental value too - which the highest price in all the Universe. :)

Well said. That is what collecting should be about: having fun and enjoying stuff you love; not looking to make a buck (although that's always a welcome byproduct). ;)
    TonyDP wrote:

Well said. That is what collecting should be about: having fun and enjoying stuff you love; not looking to make a buck (although that's always a welcome byproduct). ;)

Especially if you aspire to put kids through college one day...like myself. :))