Tributes Thread

1123124125126127129»

Comments

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,501MI6 Agent

I read today that Shannen Doherty, former star of Beverly Hills 90210 died of cancer yesterday. She was 53, which is only just younger than me, so this kind of loss puts your whole life in perspective. She was beautiful in that series; we all used to watch it when I was younger; no idea why. Her career never quite took off following 90210.

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,325MI6 Agent

some just become TV stars.....RIp

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,407MI6 Agent

She was good in Heathers... but that film doesn't get shown on telly any more, because it's about the planning of a High School massacre, and since then there's been a few events in real life that make it too close to the bone. Mean Girls took its place.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

US comedy legend Bob Newhart has died aged 94. I only knew him from his guest appearance in The Big Bang Theory although I should point out his skit The Cruise of the USS Codfish was one of Roger Moore's Desert Island Discs when he appeared in 1981. (Moore's favourite, Sinatra's New York New York, briefly appeared in Spectre of course, or appeared to, as it's not Sinatra's version.)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,899Chief of Staff

I used to watch "The Bob Newhart Show" every week as a kid in the 1970s--even though the humor was over my head, I loved Bob and the characters. Then on to the wonderful "Newhart" in the '80s, and my discovering his comedy and his film appearances. Bob Newhart was and is one of my all-time favorites. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,342Chief of Staff

I loved listening to and watching Bob Newhart…I remember having the records of his phone call skits as a kid…and thought he was fabulous in his sit-com Newhart…a truly talented guy RIP 🍸

YNWA 97
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,636MI6 Agent

I suspect Larry, Daryl, and his other brother Daryl miss him.

Not a great couple of days….now my all time favourite snooker player passes away…the fabulous Ray Reardon, 91 😢

YNWA 97

RIP John Mayall….a true UK blues legend…🍸

YNWA 97
    edited July 25

Yes, indeed, John Mayall. RIP

Irish writer Edna O'Brien has died. She did some great memoirs, one telling how - as was quite normal in the 50s - how two men in her family attempted to have her consigned to an asylum, on the basis of two signatures. She did a runner.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I just read Britney Spears' autobiography - not just in the 1950s, still happens in the 2010s.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,803MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of the death of Jack Karlson, an Internet Legend: 

Tata and farewell indeed. 

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,803MI6 Agent
    edited August 12

Remembering our founder, Ian Fleming, who died 60 years ago today. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude as James Bond fans. May we always remember him.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Seconded. Thank you for the tribute @Silhouette Man

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,300MI6 Agent

We owe him so much. Will raise a glass of something this evening.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,899Chief of Staff

Fleming is very much with me right now...I'm reading Nicholas Shakespeare's hefty biography of him (I'm at the point where IF is an unhappy London stockbroker). Cheers to the man who gave us James Bond!

Vox clamantis in deserto

One-time Bond actor George Lazenby is 85 years old today.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,108MI6 Agent

Congratulations! Thanks for OHMSS 👍

Big shout out to the most underrated OO7 ever ! 😃😃😃

Happy 85th Birthday to the legendary George Lazenby! 🙂

• SoneroSonero Posts: 64MI6 Agent

Happy Birthday to the Legend...Mr. George Lazenby.

Wishing him the best of health, happiness and success.