Vintage Bond Props - Connery's Cigarette Lighter & Case

2»

Comments

• qbviqbvi AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    ke02eww wrote:
    qbvi is in my estimation a dyed in the wool Bond collector. Not a poseur at all. He collects some of the coolest items in both the cinematic and literary Bond worlds and his knowledge about those items is phenomenal. So he is above reproach in my book. However, if memory serves, the reference to the Dunhill lighter and cigarette case being oxidized comes from Giblin's James Bond's London. I think the passage in the book refers to the lighter having to go back to be re-oxidized for each new movie because the lighter and case would "mark" from use. I don't seem to be able to put my hands on my copy at the moment, but I'm certain it's there.

qbvi, please post more pictures from your collection. Absolutely fantastic! Today was a great day.

DG

As usual, DG sums it up perfectly....

Sid is one of the best guys on here.....

Loved this tread....we all learned something.....

Sid, ASP9mm's suggestion re: the Dunhill "library" is an obvious "must go' when you're over...

ASP, how about we look into it, and perhaps a few could make the visit?...

I've no idea where it is now. It used to be below their Jermyn St store, but they went and moved to that small place in Bond St. I used to know someone very well that used to work at Dunhill HQ, very perky blonde with bobbed hair, used to wear absolutely nothing. She appeared in an S&M documentary for Channel 4 and was subsequently sacked. Jo was her name, she came from Solihull, fantastic girl.

Ahhh! now ASP, your former contact sounds so very Bondian...her subsequent actions....hmmm! Eyebrows must have been raised...and feathers ruffled in the conservative bastions of Dunhill's HQ...quite amusing if one has a sense of humour, really B-)
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
    ke02eww wrote:
    qbvi is in my estimation a dyed in the wool Bond collector. Not a poseur at all. He collects some of the coolest items in both the cinematic and literary Bond worlds and his knowledge about those items is phenomenal. So he is above reproach in my book. However, if memory serves, the reference to the Dunhill lighter and cigarette case being oxidized comes from Giblin's James Bond's London. I think the passage in the book refers to the lighter having to go back to be re-oxidized for each new movie because the lighter and case would "mark" from use. I don't seem to be able to put my hands on my copy at the moment, but I'm certain it's there.

qbvi, please post more pictures from your collection. Absolutely fantastic! Today was a great day.

DG

Sid, ASP9mm's suggestion re: the Dunhill "library" is an obvious "must go' when you're over...

In all modesty, I think this calls for a Brosnian quote...."One does rise to the challenge..." -{
    Especially since we have so many terrific experts and eagle-eyed participants on this forum....
    7289 wrote:
    So if I understand the posts, Cinema Bond's lighter was a Dunhill Broadboy Mk 2, with a plain case finished in black.

It would seem that the original lighter was either silver plated or sterling, because silver is easy to blacken with a solution readily available to jewelers. As noted this finish is somewhat fraglie - and had to be redone to keep the lighter camera worthy.

How about the original cigarette case. It was apparently finished to match the lighter. Was this part of the same order Dunhill made the lighter for. Is there a model number for the cigarette case and what metal was it fashioned from?

Inquiring minds want to know..............

I am not aware of model numbers on the vintage cig cases....there are sterling assay stamps inside signifying maker, silver content, manufacture year, etc.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,251Quartermasters
    ke02eww wrote:

DG

ke02eww,

You're no slouch either with a very enviable collection of your own. Lest we forget all the time, effort and dollars that went into your "real McCoy" Madagascar shirt. Only a dyed in the wool collector would go to such great lengths to bring it to fruition. A true classic icon of the new Bond that has augmented my personal collection.

All,

As for Dunhill doing a re-edition of the Bond Broadboy Mk II and cigarette case, I'm all for it. As far as I know Dunhill is still domiciled in Great Britain, so we'll have to rely on you "old boys" from accross the pond. Make it so!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,522MI6 Agent
    edited February 2010
    Dunhill would never go for it, but there is always the chance I 'spose. The records are still with Dunhill for the original pieces so someone can find it. I'll hand that baton on... unfortunately I'm not in the position either financially or mentally that I was, and Bondtoys departure has also started to limit my logins to such where I'm not going to be around as much as I used too, if at all. Made some good friends here, and I cherish the times that I've spent on the boards and with you.

Jo France, that was her name. She'll still be in the trade somewhere, probably at TAG if I remember correctly.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:

DG

ke02eww,

You're no slouch either with a very enviable collection of your own. Lest we forget all the time, effort and dollars that went into your "real McCoy" Madagascar shirt. Only a dyed in the wool collector would go to such great lengths to bring it to fruition. A true classic icon of the new Bond that has augmented my personal collection.

All,

As for Dunhill doing a re-edition of the Bond Broadboy Mk II and cigarette case, I'm all for it. As far as I know Dunhill is still domiciled in Great Britain, so we'll have to rely on you "old boys" from accross the pond. Make it so!

DG

ok DG (apologies to Top Cat...) am now officially embarrassed ;%

On dunhill we were hoping ASP would help....come on matey, none of us are what we were financially NOR mentally!...

Your in good company, even without Bondtoys.....I miss him too...

Anyone else any contacts with Dunhill, the trade, or just got the guts to ring up and blag it?...

Cheers
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Dunhill would never go for it, but there is always the chance I 'spose. The records are still with Dunhill for the original pieces so someone can find it. I'll hand that baton on... unfortunately I'm not in the position either financially or mentally that I was, and Bondtoys departure has also started to limit my logins to such where I'm not going to be around as much as I used too, if at all. Made some good friends here, and I cherish the times that I've spent on the boards and with you.

Jo France, that was her name. She'll still be in the trade somewhere, probably at TAG if I remember correctly.

Jo France sounds quite a firelighter herself.....

the Bobcut always makes me think of Purdey....oh Jo-Lum...

never been quite so keen on brummie accents on ladies, but, you being a cunninglinguist ASP, I doubt that mattered...
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    As promised

th_DunhillBroadboy2.jpg

A Dunhill Broadboy Mk2, Full size, Full Cap, Silver plated. Needs servicing and replating.

th_IMG_3415.jpg

A Solid silver Dunhill cigarette case with sliding hinge and concealed closure lugs.

Hope you enjoy
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    hmmm think I had a hand in that madagascar shirt ;)

anyway I would love one of these but I recently tried to get Dunhill to make a leather jacket that DC has been seen kicking around in and they were having none of it! Maybe a lighter would be a different story?
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    What was Dunhill's objection to making the jacket?
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,251Quartermasters
    sruzgar wrote:
    hmmm think I had a hand in that madagascar shirt ;)

anyway I would love one of these but I recently tried to get Dunhill to make a leather jacket that DC has been seen kicking around in and they were having none of it! Maybe a lighter would be a different story?

Simon,

No "dis" intended. I know you were part and parcel of the Madagascar shirt, and I got my buttons too. A key asset in getting her done. In fact, in my estimation, you are one of the Bond clothing "go to guys". Still thinking about that CR pre-credit blue suit. Mantis, you're in there too.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Thanks DG, I was just playing im not in it for the glory although its nice to be appreceated!

urhash, the jacket was circa 2003/2004 and they do not currently do bespoke leather garments :-(
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I wonder if they'd do a run of belts from an older line? Holden and I have been trying to get the solid silver plaque buckle belt from the TWINE Bilbao scene...
    dont want to stray off topic here but i would asume that a belt would constitute a leather garment :( I have blaged my fare share of stuff but major companies (Dunhill/Deisel) are never up for reproducing things
    As promised

th_DunhillBroadboy2.jpg

A Dunhill Broadboy Mk2, Full size, Full Cap, Silver plated. Needs servicing and replating.

th_IMG_3415.jpg

A Solid silver Dunhill cigarette case with sliding hinge and concealed closure lugs.

Hope you enjoy

Hi GM
    Spot on...you must be pleased. As Vesper would say "Beautiful..."
    Thanks for the pics. Rgds Sid

p/s my items could do with servicing too...itching to see that lighter flame up...
  • jbholstersjbholsters Posts: 179MI6 Agent
    Very old thread, but I just won the same Dunhill cigarette case on eBay. Pretty excited!

Now to find the lighter. GRRR