Bond23 Officially Suspended

Comments

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,248MI6 Agent
    Check out this link http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8558&t=mi6&s=news.

It seems that MGM is really disparate to avoid going bankrupt. I hope that whatever happens, it is over quickly and production can start. Also I hope that these ridiculous stories about the part of James Bond going to another actor can finally end soon. Daniel Craig is coming back, once he gets the green light from Eon productions.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:
    ...I hope that these ridiculous stories about the part of James Bond going to another actor can finally end soon.

I haven't read any speculation along those lines anywhere else than fans posting on sites like this, so I assume it's limited to that? Craig's initial comment on MGM's financial mess certainly didn't convey any worries.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    #@!&*!. This is really #@$%!ing me off.

In 2006, my dad passed away ( don't worry, not a morbid post...).
    When CR came out, I became re-interested in the Bond books and began reading them again. I discovered literary Bond as a kid (about 10) by reading Gilt Edged Bonds, which I found on my dad's bookshelf. Dad was a finance/economics type guy, his book shelf was filled with titles like "The Federal Reserve System" and things like that. For years I thought the Bond book was another one of his text books! Finally one bored day during summer I noticed the author's name, picked up the book, thought "Holy crap, it's James Bond!" and was sucked into CR,DN and FRWL for the rest of the summer. I found a PPK squirt gun at the toy store and painted that bad boy black with brown grips.

Anyway, re-discovering Bond *really* helped at that point in 2006, as a connection to my dad, and just pure escapism.
    For these moron business types to throw away the successes of the last two films because they can't get their #@$! together is nothing short of tragic.

Sorry for the rant.

crestfallen, Mr_Ice
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    No reason to apologize, it was a nice story, most Bond fans have some close emotional tie to Bond. Eventually the business end of Bond will be resolved, hopefully in a manner that puts some finality to the studio issue and Bond can move on with solid financial backing.
  • JJ123JJ123 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Hi, I heard a track last month called 'Beautiful, Dangerous People'. It was published in the track-listings on the radio station's website, but literally disappeared in front of my eyes and was replaced by a content violation banner. On air it was billed as a leaked track from the new movie and it certainly had a very classic, vintage Bond sound like Bassey or Tom Jones. Anyone else heard similar or know where I might be able to find it please? Thanks. J:)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,998Quartermasters
    Hi JJ123, welcome to AJB! {[]

It's really hard to say, but I'd highly doubt it's the actual song from the new Bond; usually the song is one of the last things to be added to the mix. More likely, it was somebody trying to get a song heard. Sounds like it was good, though! I wouldn't be at all opposed to the next Bond film having a retro flavour...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,702MI6 Agent
    JJ123 wrote:
    Hi, I heard a track last month called 'Beautiful, Dangerous People'. It was published in the track-listings on the radio station's website, but literally disappeared in front of my eyes and was replaced by a content violation banner. On air it was billed as a leaked track from the new movie and it certainly had a very classic, vintage Bond sound like Bassey or Tom Jones. Anyone else heard similar or know where I might be able to find it please? Thanks. J:)

Did it say who the artist was?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    JJ123 wrote:

Did it say who the artist was?

Probably, but I really don't recall the name. I only tuned in midway through the first verse. I know it's a new artist, because they were talking of the controversy it would cause not going to a named star like GaGa or Winehouse, as is Bond tradition.

The vocal was definitely a male, very powerful. A tad Tony Hadley in sound, but with Bassey production
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I just read that MGM has gained another two month extension on their debt obligations. Looks like the studio will be around at least until July now. It sounds like, without any interested buyers (at least not at the price MGM wants) they have little choice but to continue 'acting' like a studio and release Red Dawn (Nov) and Cabin in the Woods (Jan '11) and scrape in some revenue.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    The creditors' paper is worth about 42 cents on the dollar right now, something like that. It was 50 cents per earlier in the year. At some point, playing chicken with EON will reach a zero-gain point, and they'll take whatever deal is on the table. They must have something cooking or they'd simply liquidate, they can't like bleeding money like this.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Le Chiffre's lips writhed. Bond moaned, almost incoherent. Suddenly, a crack of the beater had its effect; his head jerked upwards and he gazed at his opponent, dazed and glassy eyed, yet still defiant.

"By the time I'm through with you, James, you'll be bleeding money."
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Hi JJ123, welcome to AJB! {[]

It's really hard to say, but I'd highly doubt it's the actual song from the new Bond; usually the song is one of the last things to be added to the mix. More likely, it was somebody trying to get a song heard. Sounds like it was good, though! I wouldn't be at all opposed to the next Bond film having a retro flavour...

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the advice. I think I found the track on google. It's by an artist called 'Ellis'. Certainly sounds Bond. But can't imagine it alongside the new super-credible Bond brand. Great song and video though. Thanks again. JJ
    In today's Wall Street Journal - MGM Creditors are nearing a choice on a possible partner for the studio. Talks have been held with possible parners, including Summit Entertainment (studio responsible for theTwilight Series), Spyglass Entertainment (Star Trek, G.I. Joe) and others. The new partner would get an equity stake in the company, in exchange for helping produce new movies. The kicker is that the studio has said it needs 1 billion dollars to help produce new movies. None of the possible partners have offered any fresh capital.

If I understand this, it appears they are offering some new and fledging studios the opportunity to become part owner of MGM and possibility enjoying some future MGM profits in exchange for some cash. Personally, if I am one of the new studios I don't see any reason to partner with MGM other than to get my hands on Bond and I don't think that would be worth the price MGM is asking.
    Sooner or later things will change. I know that MGM had plans for other movies like the remake of Red Dawn. If they want to get them released, then a deal will have to be made with someone. The worse case thing for us, is that Bond 23 comes out in 2012, rather than next year.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    The MGM mess has created another problem. As reported in this article, all the delays have caused Guillermo del Toro to quit The Hobbit:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/director-quits-hobbit-film-over-production-delay-ap

This is a pity, as I really admire del Toro's work and I would have loved to see what he would have done with Tolkien. Well, let's hope this all gets cleared up before further damage is done to Bond!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    The MGM mess has created another problem. As reported in this article, all the delays have caused Guillermo del Toro to quit The Hobbit:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/director-quits-hobbit-film-over-production-delay-ap

This is a pity, as I really admire del Toro's work and I would have loved to see what he would have done with Tolkien. Well, let's hope this all gets cleared up before further damage is done to Bond!

Yikes! I can't believe that del Toro just walked away. Crazy.

Although I doubt people on Bond (actor wise) will walk away that quick it is a very real possibility if things get delayed for too long. Ahhhh! Woe are we!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Yikes! I can't believe that del Toro just walked away. Crazy.

Although I doubt people on Bond (actor wise) will walk away that quick it is a very real possibility if things get delayed for too long. Ahhhh! Woe are we!
    I think Craig and Dench will stay on board as long as this mess is sorted out within say 2years or maybe even 3 but after that I really dont think they will. 2years is really pushing it for Dench but they could work round her age just by giving her less screen time
    ie just have her sat behind a desk and sending Bond of on his mission even use the assaination attempt from TMWTGG novel .
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Hardyboy wrote:

Well, MGM has successfully made The Hobbit an unattractive project to any potential director, and given buyers one more reason to shy away from an MGM purchase. Here's hoping 'Red Dawn' is that 3 billion dollar blockbuster MGM needs 8-)

Regarding The Hobbit, I was never certain why Peter Jackson didn't helm the film himself. Maybe this will change in order to push the project forward.
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

Well, MGM has successfully made The Hobbit an unattractive project to any potential director, and given buyers one more reason to shy away from an MGM purchase. Here's hoping 'Red Dawn' is that 3 billion dollar blockbuster MGM needs 8-)

Regarding The Hobbit, I was never certain why Peter Jackson didn't helm the film himself. Maybe this will change in order to push the project forward.

From IMDB:

It now appears that Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson could wind up directing the two-part Rings prequel, The Hobbit, after all. Following the decision by director Guillermo del Toro to walk away from the production because of the delays brought about by the protracted sale of MGM, which owns the rights to the The Hobbit and is coproducing the movie with Warner Bros., Jackson’s manager said that prior commitments to other studios would prevent Jackson from directing The Hobbit. But Jackson told New Zealand’s The Dominion Post today (Tuesday), “If that’s what I have to do to protect Warner Bros’ investment, then obviously that’s one angle which I’ll explore.” And it did appear that it was unlikely that another top director could be brought on board until after the sale of MGM is completed — whenever that may be. And even Jackson himself might find himself involved in making another film by that time. “The other studios may not let me out of the contracts,” he told the Dominion Post. “The key thing is that we don’t intend to shut the project down,” he added. Meanwhile, Del Toro told the New Zealand newspaper that he had moved his family to Wellington two years ago to work on the script and the development of the movie and noted that he had dreamed of turning The Hobbit into a movie from the time he was a child. “So it was very personal to me,” he said. “I know [the delays have] been very frustrating for everybody.”
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    Here is the latest on what is happening: http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8628&t=mi6&s=news

I am glad to see that Sam Mendes is keeping time clear for when this blows over.
    I have been thinking a lot about MGM's future recently. It seems pretty likely that they will have to close up for good, since Bond 23 is on hold, The Hobbit got stalled due their money problems and the director quit, and now Red Dawn is has been pushed back until November. How MGM expects to still function until fall with no other films lined up, I do not know.

Hopefully by July, some light will be shed on this matter, and we will know were Bond 23 stands production wise. As I said before the worse case is that the film opens in 2012, rather than next year like the original plan was.
    edited June 2010
    An update on the MGM saga which seems to be going nowhere. Bond 23 is referenced briefly at the end of the article (page 2).

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10926558

Edit - I noticed the first link I attached opened right to page 2 of the article, I have fixed the link and it nows open to page 1.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Hope Mary Parent gets her way and the old guard are removed from power.
    Latest report on the MGM saga is that Spyglass Entertainment, makers of G.I. Joe and Star Trek, is in the lead to take over management of MGM. The plan entails a pre-packaged bankruptcy, where holders of MGM debt, would swap their debt for ownership of the new company that would combine Spyglas and MGM. Under this plan MGM would have to go through a bankruptcy court process that would last at least two months,

Once the new company is formed it would be run by Gary Berber and Roger Birnbaum, who currently run Spyglass. They have submitted a plan for running the new company that proposes releasing a mix of low budget and high priced films (Bond).

The saga is still unfolding and anything could still happen, but progress, ever slowly, is being made.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Latest report on the MGM saga is that Spyglass Entertainment, makers of G.I. Joe and Star Trek, is in the lead to take over management of MGM. The plan entails a pre-packaged bankruptcy, where holders of MGM debt, would swap their debt for ownership of the new company that would combine Spyglas and MGM. Under this plan MGM would have to go through a bankruptcy court process that would last at least two months,

Once the new company is formed it would be run by Gary Berber and Roger Birnbaum, who currently run Spyglass. They have submitted a plan for running the new company that proposes releasing a mix of low budget and high priced films (Bond).

The saga is still unfolding and anything could still happen, but progress, ever slowly, is being made.

BN, thanks for the diligent coverage of the drama. I sure hope you post clearly and truly good news about Bond 23 sometime soon. :#
    "We have all the time in the world..."
    Thanks, youknowmyname, I think something will be known by the end of July, whether it will be good news or bad news I do not know.
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,420MI6 Agent
    Lordy, did you see the awful trailer for Sean Connery's awful swansong?

If not it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04l1dC7Nz9M

Dreadful use of Aston Martin DB5 too, I am now coming round to the fact that the man knows no shame.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I have a seen a lot worse movies in my lifetime. Sir Billie looks like it could give Shrek, Ice Age, and even some of the Pixar movies a run for its money.

Here is the latest news round up on MGM's situation http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8691&t=mi6&s=news.

I hope that MGM finally gets their act together and takes steps towards paying off their debt, so that Bond 23 can get back on schedule.
    Source: mi6.co.uk

Billionaire Carl Icahn said on Friday that Lions Gate Entertainment Corp, the company he has sought to control in a hostile takeover, has problems and should avoid merging with financially troubled Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer -- reports Reuters.

"Lions Gate's got its own problems. It's analogous to a couple not being able to pay the mortgage on their own home," Icahn told Reuters. "And instead of working on it, they go out and start negotiations to buy an overpriced mansion, and an overpriced mansion that is rumored to be haunted."

A source with knowledge of the situation said Lions Gate, the studio behind the hit "Saw" films and critically-acclaimed "Mad Men" TV series, has talked to MGM about a possible merger, but that no concrete offer has been made.

A competing proposal from Spyglass Entertainment to have its co-heads, Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, run MGM is believed by some in Hollywood to be the leading candidate to acquire MGM right now.

MGM's spokeswoman declined to comment on any companies that could be involved in discussions with the famed studio.

Another knowledgeable source said that independent studio Summit Entertainment, the studio behind the "Twilight" franchise, has discussed a possible merger with MGM.

If Summit and MGM did merge, it might mean a public offering of stock down the line, the second source said.

Lions Gate shareholders have until June 30 to decide whether to tender their stock to Icahn, who in recent weeks has raised his stake in the company from less than 19 percent to nearly 32 percent with his hostile bid of $7 per share.

"We think the (Lions Gate) overhead is way too high, the (selling, general and administrative expense) is way too high," Icahn said.

Lions Gate reported it spent $111 million last fiscal year on corporate overhead, down $11 million from the year before.

If Lions Gate pursues a merger with MGM, both Icahn and the company expect the activist investor would have to give his approval for a deal to be finalized.

"As they've said, they need us to go along with it," Icahn said.

MGM has a film library home to more than 4,000 film titles that includes the James Bond and Pink Panther franchises, but it was saddled with debt from a $2.85 billion buyout in 2005 by a group including four private equity firms and media companies Sony Corp and Comcast Corp.

In a private auction, Time Warner Inc put in a $1.5 billion bid for MGM in March, which was less than MGM had sought to raise and MGM has sought other offers since then.
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.