Lines you Cringe at

Comments

• PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I think I read somewhere that originally there were 3 seconds on the timer, but the producers later changed it to give the movie that clever "007" reference.
    *Timer says 0:07*
    Bond : "Three more seconds and Goldfinger would have won the jackpot."

Do you need glasses Mr.Bond.....

Indeed. Guy Hamilton thought it was was a nice touch to have the timer stop at 007 but the audiotrack was already done, so he decided to keep it in and hope nobody would notice. Well, 48 years later we are still talking about it :D. Another line I hate from Goldfinger is: "5, 4, 3, 2, 0!"
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,901Chief of Staff
    OK, I won't say I cringe at this, but I do find it annoying. In Shane Rimmer's first Bond appearance--as the NASA control operator in the PTS of You Only Live Twice--he pronounces Houston as "HOOston." Sorry, but every American--not just Texans--know it's pronounced "HYEWston." That's what you get when you try to pass a Canadian off as an American. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,378Chief of Staff
    "how was you lamb?"
    "Skewered, one sympathises"

In fact, most of that train journey is rubbish.

For me that scene is incredibly well written and superbly acted....it's one of the highlights of the film...

Just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time :))
    YNWA 97
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    "how was you lamb?"

For me that scene is incredibly well written and superbly acted....it's one of the highlights of the film...

Yeah, I want the scene to work more, especially as its the beginning of Bond and Vesper's relationship. I hate the shoehorned in Omega line. I don't like the skewered line. I feel the whole scene is rushed. The plates are empty, but did we see them order? Did we see them eat? No. Bond could have been topping up her glass, charming her, getting rebuffed - its a wasted scene IMO. It could have been so much more.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    For what it's worth, I liked that scene too.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    "how was you lamb?"

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Sir Miles wrote:
    "how was you lamb?"

Yeah, I want the scene to work more, especially as its the beginning of Bond and Vesper's relationship. I hate the shoehorned in Omega line. I don't like the skewered line. I feel the whole scene is rushed. The plates are empty, but did we see them order? Did we see them eat? No. Bond could have been topping up her glass, charming her, getting rebuffed - its a wasted scene IMO. It could have been so much more.

I prefer the scene played as is....showing them order and eat, as you suggest, would be too cheesy for me...I love the "skewered" line too...top notch writing, must have been a Haggis line... :))
    I don't mind the 'shoehorned' Omega line either....as product placement goes, I think they got the balance spot on...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I prefer the scene played as is....showing them order and eat, as you suggest, would be too cheesy for me...I love the "skewered" line too...top notch writing, must have been a Haggis line... :))
    I don't mind the 'shoehorned' Omega line either....as product placement goes, I think they got the balance spot on...

Funny how we all see things differently. But that's the fun of it I suppose.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    The bikini girl's overdramatic gasps when Bond chokes her with her top in DAF
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,419MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    "how was you lamb?"

Totally agree with tsa. A very odd scene, but Campbell just can't do normal scenes like that, it has to be action, action, action. Like with the M briefing with Craig, she's walking around all the time, spouting her lines.

Vesper praises Bond's backside, but he's been seated all the time. And when someone asks how your meal is, 'skewered' isn't really an answer that fits. It's a joke, but just doesn't work for me. Plus it's obvious they can only guess all this stuff about each other because it's in the script, they're not Derren Brown.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,785MI6 Agent
    edited July 2012
    minigeff wrote:
    M and Moneypenny's "pumping for information" lines in TND.

I have never, ever heard anyone regard trying to obtain information from someone as 'pumping'. Its such a forced piece of innuendo IMO. they should have just said "look jim, ya gonna have to hop on the back foot and give her the what for".

I swear the neighbours are now wondering why I am laughing so hard!

Also I agree with M on the train scene. I love the one upmanship between the characters, its like verbal chess, with Vesper winning. I thought the shot of the train during the scene was to break it into pre dinner and post dinner?

My contribution - "Hm, I thought Christmas only comes once a year." - TWINE. Half the cinema groaned (not in the good way) at that one!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

It is...doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong...it's just what we prefer....

But you ARE wrong ;) :p :))
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Totally agree with tsa. A very odd scene, but Campbell just can't do normal scenes like that, it has to be action, action, action. Like with the M briefing with Craig, she's walking around all the time, spouting her lines.

Vesper praises Bond's backside, but he's been seated all the time. And when someone asks how your meal is, 'skewered' isn't really an answer that fits. It's a joke, but just doesn't work for me. Plus it's obvious they can only guess all this stuff about each other because it's in the script, they're not Derren Brown.

Perhaps Vesper had seen Bond on the train before - and had him pointed out to her ? That way she knows whom she is looking for....

And she asks him about his lamb...a specific dish....not "how was your meal"...so it does work...

As for the 'cold reading' of each other....that ability would certainly help Bond, perhaps it's taught at some level at SIS..?..but even Derren Brown can't do it for real :D
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

It is...doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong...it's just what we prefer....

With NAP on board, you're two to one down. ;)

BTW what the hell was he eating for the lamb to be skewered? Kebabs? On a first class dining car nowhere near the middle east. Interesting choice chef! Can't see that either.

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    BTW what the hell was he eating for the lamb to be skewered? Kebabs? On a first class dining car nowhere near the middle east. Interesting choice chef! Can't see that either.

Well they was served up at the end of DAF....
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    The first five minutes of The World is Not Enough consists almost entirely of Swiss banker puns.

Swiss banking puns are not funny. Examples follow:

LACHAISE
    Not the usual Swiss procedure, Mr. Bond,
    but you understand, a man in my
    position..

BOND
    Which is neutral, no doubt.

Would you like to check my figures?

Perhaps you failed to take into account my...hidden assets.

Not a great start to the movie. Everyone is speaking entirely in pun. Groans all around.
    minigeff wrote:

Well they was served up at the end of DAF....

Ah, but what other serving cutlery could have been used to such effect? And I never bought the Bomb Suprise either - far too big for a portion for two.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Kebabs and a can of Heineken. :D
    Brilliant, Now I can live like Bond. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Kebabs and a can of Heineken. :D
    Brilliant, Now I can live like Bond. :))

I've been sampling this fine cuisine for years, perhaps Mr Bond is dining like me, not the other way around... :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I wonder will we catch Bond telling Q after a night out he's his Bestest mate in the whole world. :D
    as he sways against a bus stop, waiting for a minicab. while his latest Bird pops round the back
    for a quick slash. :D

The Only way Is Bond. :007) Shut-UP !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I wonder will we catch Bond telling Q after a night out he's his Bestest mate in the whole world. :D
    as he sways against a bus stop, waiting for a minicab. while his latest Bird pops round the back
    for a quick slash. :D

The Only way Is Bond. :007) Shut-UP !

Bond, post sunbed disaster;
    valentino.jpg
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Sir Miles wrote:

With NAP on board, you're two to one down. ;)

NAP ? You are relying on his judgement ?:)

Then you are well and truly beaten :D {:)
    YNWA 97
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    "Mmm! Royal beluga, north of the Caspian."

Like we really wanted to know what you just ate Bond, hell why didnt you do that in FRWL and Thunderball?

"Mmm! Sirloin steak, fresh from USA" (FRWL)
    : Ooo Green grape, grown in Japan" (Thunderball)

:p :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    No groans from me, pal! That PTS was one of my favorites. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    The first five minutes of The World is Not Enough consists almost entirely of Swiss banker puns.

Swiss banking puns are not funny. Examples follow:

LACHAISE
    Not the usual Swiss procedure, Mr. Bond,
    but you understand, a man in my
    position..

BOND
    Which is neutral, no doubt.

Would you like to check my figures?

Perhaps you failed to take into account my...hidden assets.

Not a great start to the movie. Everyone is speaking entirely in pun. Groans all around.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I too liked to be Stroked while watching the PTS of TWINE :D
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Surprised no one has already mentioned one of my "favourite" toe-curling lines as Bond first meets Holly Goodhead: "A woman?"
    One very odd bit of dialogue which no one seems to mention, is with Bond and Valentin in GE. It's Brozzer Bond not being very animated, early on in the filming, and the character being shamed at past British misdeeds regards the Kosovos, being sent back to the Russians to be shot at the end of World War 2. Yet Valentin then says, ' a very cruel race' of the Kosovos, like that's alright then! The Brits aren't too bad sending them to their deaths! Like, imagine saying that of the Jews, or anyone else! Yeah, the Brits wouldn't let the Jews' ship land as they fled Germany, mind you, they are real money grabbers! :o 8-)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Jesus nap, black attendants at the barbican, now money grabbing Jews?! You need to get on a course of something. :))

And it wasn't kosovo's, it was Lienz Cossacks. The Cossacks, after Russia was engaged by the Nazi's with Operation Barbarossa, chose to fight along side the Nazis, not as nazi sympathisers, but as Russians fighting the oppressive commies. In basic, it was a chance for the Cossacks to kick off and keep the civil war scrapping going.

At the end of WW2, with everything nazi in bits, some of the Cossacks wanted to be taken in by the British, Stalin however said he needed the man power to rebuild Russia. The Brits sent the Cossacks home, against their wishes, and Stalin pulled the trigger on them all.

So Valentin is explaining to bond, that the Cossacks would side with anyone who would suit their means to an end, ruthless people who got what they deserved.

Like bond says, not exactly our finest hour.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Okay, I misremembered, but still, seemed a bit simplistic to damn the Cossacks and their kids on that basis, not sure about Valentin's potted history lesson. I wouldn't mind if it were Valentin obviously being a bit biased and so on, but it's thrown in as if to let the Brits off the hook.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    If anything I thought it made us look a bit bad nap.

However important the cause may be, I can't really sympathise with anyone who stood alongside the nazis. Whether they should have been shot? Oh I ain't even going there.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org