Lines you Cringe at

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,062MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

You see.....I LOVE those lines....and I think he got them spot on... -{
    It works if you take it that he's not trying to be funny... I guess... :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,378Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

You see.....I LOVE those lines....and I think he got them spot on... -{
    It works if you take it that he's not trying to be funny... I guess... :D

Be he isn't TRYING to be funny :s

I think you have missed the point of these lines entirely...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    he isn't TRYING to be funny :s
    I mean, if you hear it as a toss off from a guy that isn't trying to be funny as opposed to a line from a guy who hasn't acted before and is TRYING to sound like he's not trying to be funny....

oh, forget it... :s
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    he isn't TRYING to be funny :s
    I mean, if you hear it as a toss off from a guy that isn't trying to be funny as opposed to a line from a guy who hasn't acted before and is TRYING to sound like he's not trying to be funny....

oh, forget it... :s

That's it...it's just a throwaway line...nothing more...delivered as it should be...
    YNWA 97
    I mean, you can either hear it as a throw away from a world weary agent, or stiff acting from a novice thespian. :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    I mean, you can either hear it as a throw away from a world weary agent, or stiff acting from a novice thespian. :))

You probably can...I suppose it all depends upon your view of George and OHMSS....

For me...he gets it spot on...
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,419MI6 Agent
    George Lazenby couldn't deliver a line of coke to Lindsay Lohan.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I'll bet he could deliver a right cross to your jaw! :))
    George Lazenby couldn't deliver a line of coke to Lindsay Lohan.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore is the king of the awkward lines especially in Octopussy

'Hiss Off'
    The tarzan yell
    'Charming Tune'
    'Toro? Sounds like a load of Bull' :#
    Smiert Spionam
    I don't think he delivers them awkwardly though.

At least we've all learned to spell the word 'awkward' thanks to this thread! :)

Have we done, "Wherever she is, I hope I scared The Living Daylights out of her..." Probably, you scary man, why don't you just try to joke with her, that would do that trick.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Not really a line, more an expression; Connerys daft gurn as he stacks the DB5 through the factory wall.

And with the mirror up in the air, how could he not realise it was a mirror?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I don't think he delivers them awkwardly though.

True enough I guess. But it still makes me cringe none the less.

Jinx in DAD makes me cringe with her 'Yo momma' line. What kind of classyBond girl would say that? :s
    Smiert Spionam
    Isn't that an urban myth? She doesn't say 'Yo momma', it's 'Your momma, she's very concerned about you' as a rude response to Gustav Graves' crack at her, asking who sent her to spy on him or something.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Yes, the "Toro? Sounds like a load of bull." line from OCTOPUSSY is awful because (a) it's a one-liner shoved in for the sake of it & (b) Moore's obviously dubbed it in at a later date with little feeling for the dialogue.

Not a line, but I always find Dalton's hearty chuckle as he walks through the wedding reception poor as it's another case of bad over-dubbing.

There's no need for the abundance of over-dubbing in OHMSS. I know it was a trend of the time but I get the distinct impression Peter Hunt & co weren't comfortable with a less talky 007 & felt the need to supplant the silences with extraneous dialogue wherever they could.

Louis Jourdan's utterance of "Octopoosy!" always sounds soft. More so because otherwise he's quite good.

May Day's "And I thought that creep loved me!" from A VIEW TO A KILL. Oh dear.

Bond's "I was just out walking my rat & seem to have lost my way." from DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. Oh dear, again.

Any of the Bond/Q/R banter in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. Just not amusing in the slightest.

The first Jinx/Bond flirtation in DIE ANOTHER DAY. All that nonsense about things coming out to feast at night. I'm sure it's meant to come across as erotic but just sounds a bit naff.
    Isn't that an urban myth? She doesn't say 'Yo momma', it's 'Your momma, she's very concerned about you' as a rude response to Gustav Graves' crack at her, asking who sent her to spy on him or something.

Ah well I've only seen DAD once so you are probably right (I really dislike the movie...you probably guessed that). Anyway it's still not the most witty response I've ever heard in a Bond film. Pretty poor if I'm honest.
    Smiert Spionam
    BIG TAM wrote:
    The first Jinx/Bond flirtation in DIE ANOTHER DAY. All that nonsense about things coming out to feast at night. I'm sure it's meant to come across as erotic but just sounds a bit naff.

This is the only line from a movie that somehow succeeds in making me feel physically ill.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Saunders' whole spiel when Bond's preparing to take a pot-shot at Kara Milovy is, quite frankly, awful. Thomas Wheatley speaks his lines too fast & it serves merely as exposition for the audience. No wonder Dalton looks so deflated in that scene!
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Bond's "I was just out walking my rat & seem to have lost my way." from DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. Oh dear, again.
    Okay, now just a moment- I personally found that line quite amusing... :))
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Louis Jourdan's utterance of "Octopoosy!" always sounds soft. More so because otherwise he's quite good.

Roger Moore loved the way Jordan said Octopussy. He talks about this in the Inside Octopussy documentary. I've always thought it was a funny part of the documentary. Octoooopusssy (in RM's voice)
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    One of the worst:

'When one is in Egypt, one must delve deeply into its treasures.' :))
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore is the king of the awkward lines especially in Octopussy

'Hiss Off'

I never knew it was hiss off... I always thought it was just 'piss off' haha.

Anyway, lines that make me cringe:

"I guess we'll be going down together"
    " Christmas only comes once a year"
    "I'm Mr Kil" "Now there's a name to die for"
    "Still the good guys huh?" (God I hate Jinx)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Bond when getting busted by Irma Blunt in bed....

"Well fancy meeting you here!"

Of all the things to say when getting your cover blown lol
    Dalton's line in LTK - "Well....I guess this is farewell to arms". It was meant to be clever and witty, but came off as really forced and awkward, especially in the context of Bond attacking and escaping from a couple of fellow MI6 agents.
    Dalton's line in LTK - "Well....I guess this is farewell to arms". It was meant to be clever and witty, but came off as really forced and awkward, especially in the context of Bond attacking and escaping from a couple of fellow MI6 agents.
    I rather liked that line, as if Bond was attempting to amuse himself slightly before a rash decision, and failing miserably.
    That's certainly another way to look at it. I just remember cringing when I saw the movie the first time. But certainly far from the worst of the cringe-worthy lines spoken in Bond films.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I rather liked that line, as if Bond was attempting to amuse himself slightly before a rash decision, and failing miserably.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    The line refers to Ernest Hemingway's novel "A farewell to arms" Bond and M meet at his old house in Key West in LTK.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    I still cringe at Roger's "Fill her up please" in OP.... but I think that's because it's the line that kicks into the title sequence... therefore more noticeable...
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Peppermill wrote:
    The line refers to Ernest Hemingway's novel "A farewell to arms" Bond and M meet at his old house in Key West in LTK.
    Which only makes it better IMO!
    I was aware of the connection to Hemingway, but I still cringed when the line was delivered. To me it just seemed out of place at that moment, but maybe that's because I had gotten so used to connecting such witticisms to Connery and especially Moore. It just didn't seem to suit Dalton's version of 007 and I think it was a bit jarring that it occurred in such a serious scene.
    Peppermill wrote:
    I was aware of the connection to Hemingway, but I still cringed when the line was delivered. To me it just seemed out of place at that moment, but maybe that's because I had gotten so used to connecting such witticisms to Connery and especially Moore. It just didn't seem to suit Dalton's version of 007 and I think it was a bit jarring that it occurred in such a serious scene.
    I still stand by my earlier comment that it was Bond realizing that this action might well be the death of him right there and then given the circumstances of his escape attempt, and better to go out with a memorable line if it should come to that, as ultimately unfunny as it might be.
    I like my humour dark, I guess. 8-)