Komodo Dragon's in Skyfall

MrEddy21MrEddy21 LondonPosts: 418MI6 Agent
This will be of interest to some of you, my wife works there and was part of the team when production came to film in December 2011 !!

https://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/news/komodo-dragon-stars-in-new-bond-skyfall,1017,NS.html

Comments

• Hold CommandHold Command LondonPosts: 376MI6 Agent
    Shame we didn't see so much of the real one and its CGI brother instead :#
  • 00-Shane00-Shane Posts: 124MI6 Agent
    I really thought the CGI dragon took from the movie. Terrible move.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    00-Shane wrote:
    I really thought the CGI dragon took from the movie. Terrible move.

I agree. I didn't like it and I thought it could have been done a lot better for a movie with a budget like this. On the other hand, I loved the fact that the subway crash was done for real. The directors could have taken the easy CGI way with that too and didn't.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,317MI6 Agent
    Yeah I thought it was naff CGI too.

Also thought the way DC got distracted and then tackled by the henchman was naff also
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed bad CGI. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It would have been fine to just have 2 real komodos there as something to look at, They shouldn't have brought them into play in the fight sequence. It was like watching some terrible Asian version of Gladiator :)) .....ah real "oh no what have they done" moment

While I'm venting I'll also say that I hate the CGI of DC's face when riding the motorbike on the Turkish rooftops. Not a good look.

Don't get me wrong, I adore this movie, but I just think that Bond is now 'above' very obvious CGI. CR and QOS certainly did not have obvious CGI and I think having it in Skyfall, to quote Jeremy Clarkson, is like baking an exquisite soufflé, and then garnishing it with a slab of lard.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I thought the plane scene in QoS was an example of very very bad CGI....
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,785MI6 Agent
    00-Shane wrote:
    QOS certainly did not have obvious CGI and I think having it in Skyfall, to quote Jeremy Clarkson, is like baking an exquisite soufflé, and then garnishing it with a slab of lard.

Ooh, sorry have to stop you there. The CGI used for the plane bale out / freefall in QoS was AWFUL! Its irronic the one piece of the action that didn't hurt my eyes was crap!

I am hoping to see Skyfall again (Second time) tomorrow, so I will keep my eyes open for the Dragon again. I suspected it could not have been real in the film, as they are an endangered species. Personally I thought it was a nice touch.

Damn it Peppermill, you beat me to it! :D
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,241MI6 Agent
    Me and my friend were just joking about how it reminded us of the rancor from star wars lol, well, a poor-man's rancor :D
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Apologies gents, my memory of QOS is rather cloudy (I'm sure you can understand why ;) )

I completely agree that the free fall CGI was DREADFUL.
    How about the RN helicopters?

I cringed!
    MrEddy21 wrote:
    This will be of interest to some of you, my wife works there and was part of the team when production came to film in December 2011 !!

https://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/news/komodo-dragon-stars-in-new-bond-skyfall,1017,NS.html

Apologies OP for the distraction, congrats to your wife! -{
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    They are mean and scary and bigger than I thought.
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    edited November 2012
    In SkyFall, the rooftop motorcycling, Komodo dragons, helicopters, and Silva's face were pretty obvious to me. They didn't hurt those scenes, but they did distract me for a few moments.

In QoS, the Siena fight conclusion and the plane sequence are the most obvious examples I remember.

I don't really understand the choice to use CGI. There's good reason why Blade Runner looks more believable than something like the new Total Recall. Thankfully, Ridley Scott still knows this and sticks to the old advice he got. "Doug Trumbull once said to me 'If you can do it live, do it live."
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Well the notion of doing things for real is very much a modus operandi for EoN. Compared with other big names, the amount of CGI present is quite considerably lower.

However, as previously stated, there are reasons why the dragons are CGI. You can't film with actors that close to a real one. So which would you prefer, a CGI one or an anamatronic one? With the moves involved, you could only go CGI.

As for the sequence itself, I thought the idea was great and a fantastic throwback to the classic bond films.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Well I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I didn't think the CGI on those dragons was too bad... in fact, the first time I saw it, I didn't even realise ;%

Compaired to quite a few JB movies, I thought the CGI was kept in check.... and Silva's face was v.good... got me squirming in my seat at any rate ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Well I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I didn't think the CGI on those dragons was too bad... in fact, the first time I saw it, I didn't even realise ;%

Compaired to quite a few JB movies, I thought the CGI was kept in check.... and Silva's face was v.good... got me squirming in my seat at any rate ;)

The CGI did not bother me either, however I found the scene a bit unessessary and a laboured nod to Mendes fav Bond film LALD. it does not damage Skyfall unduly, but it undermines it slightly in my view.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Ah, forgot to mention that the scorpion on 007's hand was obviously CGI, too. That one made the most sense to me though.

The dragons made some sense for a few things that occurred, but they seemingly could have used more real footage and digitally composited it with the actors being in the pit. I suppose the issue might involve uncertainty over if they will even do anything on camera worth filming.

The motorcycle should probably just not have used the close up, or used a better rig to actually film him sitting on the bike on a wheeled platform for a few seconds.

The helicopters, I would think, could have been done for real, or had real footage layered in so they didn't look fake themselves.

Silva's face of course couldn't happen for real on set, but it looked a bit like a little too much CGI drama compared to what it appeared he was actually doing.

I do agree that they certainly are still in check with keeping it minimized, but I just thought it could have been used even less.
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    The CGI effects in Daniel Craig movies, even the comparatively shoddy/obvious ones (like Skyfall's giant lizards and Quantum's crashing plane), are still much less painful than the CGI/green screen effects in Die Another Day (which seemed rather crap in 2002, but unwatchable today).

CGI is not a demon that should be slain but a useful tool that has its advantages and disadvantages in comparison to model effects (which can be overrated: I'm not really taken in by the space rockets used in YOLT) and today's green screen effects are much better than the awful rear projection shots routinely used in the 60s and 70s movies (the worse one being in the ending sequence in From Russia With Love).
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • Luck and FateLuck and Fate Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    The problem is that all these Bond Directors like Martin Campbell and Mendes are just old enough to not full understand how to utilize CGI in cinematography. I can't believe I'm about to claim I know something about directing a movie that these guys don't but the number 1 rule about CGI is NO CLOSEUPS!

It's actually related to a very popular study and hypothesis called the Uncanny Valley ( Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley ). In short the study finds that humans will accept Anthropomorphism either in robots or CGI when it looks less human, but then suddenly dips into this "Uncanny Valley" where we are actually disgusted by its familiarity. CGI is still no where close to reach the level of realism to bring us back out of the Uncanny Valley.

So bring this study into films. The study directly deals with human likeness, but it works with scenery and animals too. When you take a highly CGI scene or creature and then do a close up with an actual human, your actually going to exaggerate the Uncanny Valley effect, since we can now see the two and compare them side by side. Take away the close up, and add in some other cinematography tricks like shaky cam or just lots of cuts, and you lessen the blow. You may even be able to make it watchable!

But no, instead we get Bronsan's face filling half the screen with a ridiculous CGI wave behind him :s
    Have you watched this little flick called 'avatar'?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited November 2012
    CGI have improved special effects for sci-fi TV shows in the past two decades.

Animating CGI humans is much different and unfinished art in comparison to doing relatively simple water/weather/fire effects. Lizards are not the same as people and it seemed that the director put the CGI komodo dragons into shadows and dim light to negate their fakeness (it was lingering on their cheesy facial expressions that was a mistake).
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    I, for one, loved the komodo dragon sequence. I only realized it was CGI once they fell into the pit. Because, you know, it's a komodo dragon and it would kill anyone in one bite. I don't think CGI usage automatically discredits an action sequence. I thought having a deadly animal scene was a wonderful throwback to classic Bond.

Other than that, I saw it in IMAX and in a traditional multiplex and I really couldn't see any CGI that took away from the film, in my opinion. I usually pride (or curse) myself on being able to instantaneously spot any CGI. But only Silva's face was the most obvious and overdone use of CGI, and it would have been cheesy had it not been for Bardem's stellar performance.

It ain't no para-surfing tidal wave, that's for sure.
  • LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    I actaully really enjoyed the Komodo Dragon thing. I liked the way Bond reacted when it approached him, reminded me of a lot of all the classic Moore double-takes. When Bond hopped on the Komodo Dragons back the CGI became really obvious with the step on its back looking weightless, but It didn't bother me. It seemed like quite a Bond thing to do and I can get over that it wasn't real.
    Now, they only eat rat.
    For me, the best part of the dragon fight was Bond's attempt to point the dragons out to his opponent. Bit Norman Wisdom but made me chuckle.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Minigeff wrote :
    For me, the best part of the dragon fight was Bond's attempt to point the dragons out to his opponent. Bit Norman Wisdom but made me chuckle.

That made me chuckle too. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,317MI6 Agent
    Minigeff wrote :

That made me chuckle too. :))

Followed by him being "Tombstoned" WWF style if I remember rightly! To be honest I thought that was the naffest part of the film but enjoyed it
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    edited November 2012
    I agree that the CGI komodo dragons was rather reminiscent of the crocodile farm from Live and Let Die and the cheesy rubber snake from Moonraker. :))
    Wanna try putting that in a spoiler tag pal, some people haven't seen the film yet and that's quite a spoiler ya got there.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I've edited it out (how do you do spoiler tags?).

CGI is used more often with animals not only because of health and safety reasons, but likely also because of animal concerns.