SOLEX AGITATOR Sir!....... The Essential Unit

Comments

• S_P_E_C_T_R_ES_P_E_C_T_R_E Posts: 281MI6 Agent
    I appreciate the time and effort that people put into the research they do, I've only made a few Bond related items and to be honest with you I find the research part more of a chore than the actual "making", but you can't have one without the other if you want something even remotely accurate, expecting to have my homer shot down was probably due to what I've seen on here, hence why I was not only surprised but pleased it wasn't, must be doing something right -{ so in that case, glad to say I was wrong.

With regard to making a few quid, I don't really see the harm. I'm under no illusion that I'm going to get rich quick from making this stuff, but while I'm making one I might as well make two or even three, even if only to help pay for itself, the homer project has come to bit of a stand still due to the £700.00 (I was done) mill I bought breaking after only a week, so here it sits, on a pallet waiting to be collected by Axminster while I do the research into getting something decent, problem is "decent" as everything, comes at a price, looking at a German made mill that, if I bite the bullet, is going to cost me in the region of 3 plus grand, that's a lot of £'s to justify my hobby because that's all it is, a hobby, I'm not FE.

I mean it when I say thank you for your offer of any help and can assure you I am in no way out to tread on anyones toes or piss anyone off, regarding Mick (who like I said earlier I don't know) I get the feeling hes quite young ????? bless :007)
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I promise the MR cam is just for me :D

No, it's just for my scrap bin :D
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,619MI6 Agent
    regarding Mick (who like I said earlier I don't know) I get the feeling hes quite young ?????

Microjeff is the same age like Mick, but around 4 feet shorter :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    regarding Mick (who like I said earlier I don't know) I get the feeling hes quite young ?????

:)) :)) :))
    Bondtoys wrote:

Whereas Markus here has the same level of attractiveness, similar gait and the same amount of hair on his knuckles as a silverback gorilla, only he's 8 feet taller.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    you should see his arse then :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,644Chief of Staff
    And how did you find out about that?!! :))
    Wouldn't you like to know big boy ;) they don't call him buttoys for nothing :v
    They don't, they usually call him 'Inmate 80085'.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

Whereas Markus here has the same level of attractiveness, similar gait and the same amount of hair on his knuckles as a silverback gorilla, only he's 8 feet taller.

Well, I can shave!

And you? :D

70s platform shoes ? :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,557Chief of Staff
    With regard to making a few quid, I don't really see the harm.

Unfortunately Eon don't agree....particularly their lawyers....and if they catch you then 3 grand plus will seem like chicken feed !
    Eon sell a licence to companies so they can make these - and they won't be happy to see you infringe that copyright.
    I applaud all efforts to replicate props...but NOT to sell on.

I'm sure you can see the logic in this -{
    YNWA 97
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,785MI6 Agent
    edited November 2013
    Post 60 by Mini G made me sit up - because it mirrors what actors and other performers have had to do for decades. Especially in this day and age with everyone yapping online. (Oh the irony!)
    Confidentiality is critical with this sort of thing, not as some weird secret circle, but because its a sign of professional intergrity. Plus only those who can be trusted progress because they invest in themselves by keeping their word and teaching themselves. Its something I learned quickly even though what I am doing is a different area of skill and experience.

I don't pretend to know anything about making props or replicas, and admire what I see when someone makes something I have seen in film or tv.
    However, reflecting on what M just said I get nervous (whether its valid or not) when I learn that said something is made in a multiple lot to be sold on Ebay. :#
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • S_P_E_C_T_R_ES_P_E_C_T_R_E Posts: 281MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    With regard to making a few quid, I don't really see the harm.

Unfortunately Eon don't agree....particularly their lawyers....and if they catch you then 3 grand plus will seem like chicken feed !
    Eon sell a licence to companies so they can make these - and they won't be happy to see you infringe that copyright.
    I applaud all efforts to replicate props...but NOT to sell on.

I'm sure you can see the logic in this -{

Yes I do agree and see the logic, I have no intention on making anything in bulk with the intention of selling on to anyone else, anything I might have made is purely a one off and for myself, not only that, but anything I might have made would be so far from even remotely resembling the item I am attempting to replicate in the first place that the issue of copyright wouldn't even come into it, my making skills are just NOT that good.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,278MI6 Agent
    I've found this post both informative and at times frustrating but like a good book you can't put it down -{ . I've done the licensed replica thing & have now moved on to the real mccoy but can fully understand why replicators have a bash themselves, some making incredible creations like our very own MicrobeJiff. Incredible because the likes of Factory Entertainment are banging at his door for effectively his prototype creations...bloody well done mate -{
    But back on subject, SD Studios & FE have made some incredible prop replicas but SA they are not. If you'd seen the 3d master of FE's Golden Gun which was created from a scan of the original filming prop you will know exactly what I'm referring to because it was I would say 99% SA where the production replica was not so unless the licensee was acting under direction of the license issuer as for example I believe Master Replicas were with their range of lightsaber props which were either slightly smaller or slightly larger than the actual filming props. I know this to be the case because in another life I worked on The Art of Star Wars exhibition where we had full LFL Archive access, I carried a 6" steel rule with me while uncasing certain exhibits before they were sealed behind glass, not to replicate but to satisfy curiosity when something did not look right. This arose from the Icons replicas which looked bulkier than their screen counterparts. I for one could not wait for the Factory Entertainment Moonraker Space Marine's Uzi carbine based rifle but like their Golden Gun replica screen accurate it was not but it bloody well should have been so my hunt to track down an original filming prop continues.

Looking at collections on AJB some consist of just licensed replicas, some a mixture of licensed & copies with a flavour of the original and some may just be an original? Screen accurate could just be well it looks like this on screen? but believe me some genuine items in the flesh don't look anything like they appear on screen or in books so it really is down to research to get it right be that tracking it down, talking to the original fabricators or replicating it for personal pleasure as Microbe' does and does bloody well. Danjaq_Off collects replicas from many different makers & he is passionate about the subject, very passionate, he knows what he likes and what he doesn't like well he isn't backwards at coming forwards & of course has a very unique access to fuel that passion. It's not my cup of tea but I certainly appreciate the effort which goes into these creations & in the case of the Solex would agree that the images of the prototype replica which was soldered did look better than the production unit. I think when someone gets this right and therefore screen accurate it will be something special & perhaps the images of the current item should have been held back until the unit was ready?....and I honestly believe Danjaq_Off would be more than happy to have one in his incredible replica archive if it had lived up to it's original hype? I'm sure the next one will do just that -{
    You know me too well Donk :D

Mick just needs to up his game, taking a step backwards is not the right way to go, I know that DZ and probably everyone else was happy with their solex, but you owe it to yourself Mick and deserve a kick up the arse for letting something go out like that.
    erm, I am still worried about Mick's no-worrying re. copyright.
    I have told him several times - with the same result like other constructive criticism on his work.

Wonder how EON and FE feel about his projects. But maybe the law is different in Scotland?

• ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    I carried a 6" steel rule with me
    8-)
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,278MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    8-)
    Okay 4" but it was cold in the unloading dock! :p
    and you where wearing thongs :s

• ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    8-)
    Okay 4" but it was cold in the unloading dock! :p
    PMSL :))
    btw plastic is better it does not shrink
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    :)) :)) :)) @ you guys
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    edited November 2013
    Hi Everyone.

Ok Guys, very Sorry for not having replied sooner. I had a lot going on offline and I have just got around to going over all the Posts in detail since David Posted up photos a few days back....

Ok....I will start off my saying Thanks to everyone for your feedback and comments. I honestly did see lots of Negativity AT FIRST.... when I initially scanned over them all... but then I took a bit of time away from the computer and then went back and re read over it all again in more detail... and making physical notes from all of the posts to put into practice..... and improve. All the advice has been informative and helpful and .... Yes, Maybe a boot up the arse... since quite a few of you were encouraging when you saw the prototype.. it should have Improved Vastly from there on out.... and not have went back a step or stayed on a Par with it in any way shape or form, in terms of detail and design etc.... I personally think it became more accurate ( If I am allowed to say that word ha ha ) to the prop.... But I can see and understand looking back and recapping, all the points made.. about detail and build etc....

Ok on the more praising Comments.. thanks David, glad you received the item safely and hope you enjoy it.... also Thanks Thunderpussy for your kind words.... and thanks Ed. also for your words of encouragement.... appreciated.

I will confirm that NO parts in the Prototype or the More refined version which David shared were painted... also the reference to measurements etc... in my initial Postings with the pictured PROTO is not the Size / dimensions of the finished piece etc... it was made to different sizes and the initial photos were all rough estimates and early stage drawings. I am going to STOP completely the mention of ''ACCURACY'' in anything I post up or share online from now on..... ( wake up call ) because I agree with the opinions across the board... a piece should speak for itself and not need to be backed up by words or descriptions.... Like I say a boot up the backside.... and points taken and noted...

in regards to what Danjaq has said.... I do feel I have let myself down.. as it was going in the right direction and I feel I have dropped the ball... overall personally I think the piece has moved from the prototype ... but the details mentioned by Everyone are the major drawbacks and issues that have to be addressed and 'FIXED'

minigeff - I appreciate your honesty, observations and input... I am going to go against what people might have expected me to do here and say ''THANKS'' the truth is; no one improves if people give nothing but good feedback and kind comments... sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind - that's the way I have now come to see this Thread... I also agree fully with you, I should be on here at AJB007 getting feedback and opinions from you guys more often than I do.. and get more input from everyone... the more feedback and comments the better.... Also regarding THE GOLDEN GUN... I will just leave all that back in 2007... and stick to the Topic in hand... the only thing I will say is... if you think it worked, then it achieved its desired effect, much like an SFX prop.

Ok points Taken and noted on the REPLICA... I am going to go back to the drawing board and make improvements, changes and source more improved parts, where advised and find a balance between how I feel personally, putting my own input into it and the collective observations and input from you guys. I will get back soon with a 3RD version... hopefully the MUCH IMPROVED Version.

Ok in regards to the Tangent this thread took at points.... ''Peoples Reference Archives & Research'' that to be fair is everyone's own hard work and highly confidential info.... I agree 100% that if someone has gone to the effort of tracking info down.. spending lots of time researching, sourcing, reading etc making contact with primary source and makers involved with props on films etc.... then it is their own info to do with, what they see fit... I honestly understand why so much of it is closely guarded secrets and confidential.... People can't just go about posting up years and years of hard work and findings on public forums and sharing it out like a pack of sweets... if confidential Info was shared out here, there and everywhere, we would have know what really happened to JFK back then and all those movies, documentaries and conspiracy films would never have made so much money!

Like I say Guys.... I am going to do what has been suggested and advised across the board and
    will come back soon with Improvements and alterations made... to the fullest! earlier Yesterday
    through talking to a family friend and finding out he had worked in electronics and engineering in
    the 1970's to 1990's.... I got onto the subject of this Particular PROP .. and he has kindly offered to look over photos of it and do his best to identify as much of it as possible to help me out... which I thought was very kind... and maybe a good way of improving it a great deal.

thanks again everyone.... Mick
    Good on ya Mick -{
    Nice one micky, I'm glad you've not spat the dummy and actually taken people's words on board.

We ALL makes mistakes, christ knows I'm no exception. You do have talent and passion for what you're doing, and top job at sticking with it. My dad always used to say "he who never made a mistake never made anything".

You'll know by now that making this stuff to the standards people demand is not easy, especially when you've not got the capital to invest in expensive machines, space to set up a proper workshop or any spare time to do the work.

I am an extremnely fortunate guy. I've got experience, the right kit and many helpful friends who make all of my stuff happen. There was a time though when I knew what I wanted to make, had a desire to do a good job but no matter how much i tried, things just didn't turn out how i wanted them. Then eventually something just clicked and my quality started to improve, i guess this is called experience, which can't be bought, taught or rushed.

You WILL continue to improve mick, and you are getting better. Well done on tackling a difficult prop.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,898MI6 Agent
    Model humility there, Mick, buddy:

I know my first instinct when I'm criticized for selling something or in making something is to cut and run and hide--well done, sir.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
    minigeff wrote:
    My dad always used to say "he who never made a mistake never made anything".

Then I've never made anything :D

:x :x :x is in the air 8-)

What happened to all the good AJB wars? 8-)
    You guys should get a room :D

Bondtoys wrote:

your egg is **** :D
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

your egg is **** :D

Talking of ****, have you sorted out your final design for the throbbing members pin yet :D