Anything Good on TV ?

1818283848587»

Comments

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 328MI6 Agent

yep, Steve Martin Short.

It's good fun. It's character driven humor more than anything else, and all actors...lead and supporting...are delivering quality work across all four of the seasons. Fun guest stars appear as well, often playing fictionalized versions of 'themselves'. As to the mysteries themselves, they are a tad too reliant on coincidences but they're overall pretty satisfying.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,546MI6 Agent

I caught up with NIGHTSLEEPER. It dragged a bit towards the end. Plenty of padding and a wholy unsatisfactory ending. Generally though, a decent effort which I enjoyed despite the preposterousness of the on-train proceedings. Events in the UK have recently hinted that the chaos created by a terrorist(s) hacking into a country's essential computerbased infrastuctures is very real, so a round of applause for a story tackling a genuine threat and managing it effectively. I think we mentioned actor Joe Cole in the frame for Bond after his appearance as TV's version of Harry Palmer. I wouldn't be against it, but while he was good in this, he seems - like Michael Caine - to suggest someone more working class and Palmer [at least the consistent visual version of Palmer] fitted him well. Bond? Hmm, the jury might have a long out.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,550Chief of Staff

I’m loving the return of Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing.

I’m not a fisherman and have little interest in it…but I adore this program. Now into its 7th series, it’s just a joy to watch Bob & Paul have a fish, chat about silly stuff, chat about serious health issues, chat about family, watch Bob ‘cook’ and watch Bob fall over - a lot 🤣

The premise is these two friends (and comedians/actors) go to different rivers throughout the UK & Ireland and fish for the ‘local’ fish…always letting the fish go after catching them…whilst doing so they talk about their various health issues and family members and stay overnight in various B&B’s or holiday lets.

The idea for the show is ridiculously simple, and they thought they might get a single series out of it…and here we are in the 7th series…the undoubted star of the show though is Ted, the dog owned by the shows Executive Producer…who has just written his ‘pawtobiography’ about working on the show 🤣 it’s due out in November.

And away!

YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,447MI6 Agent

I've been on That's TV which shows vintage comedies, in particular Rising Damp and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

Intrigued to see the actor playing the bossy maitre d at the supposedly posh restaurant where Rigsby hopes to charm Miss Jones - I couldn't quite place hime their realised he was one of the sinister MI5 operatives who resembled Harold Wilson in The Ipcress File 10 or so years earlier!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I’ve watched the first two in the new Prof. Brian Cox series Solar System…absolutely brilliant, although I do think Prof. Cox must be an executive producer or something…he’s filmed all over the world in some fabulous places 🤣

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,030MI6 Agent

SLOW HORSES Season 4

6 superlative episodes of the best television series currently running. Gary Oldman has made Jackson Lamb one of the most iconic characters that television has ever produced. I cannot praise this superb series high enough. If you like espionage, then you won’t see anything better than this.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Agreed 100%. Four great seasons of television so far for SLOW HORSES.

Anyone else watching Ludwig?

This has David Mitchell playing twin brothers - although we only see one as the other is missing.

John Taylor is a puzzle setter who uses the name Ludwig when setting his puzzles, his twin brother DCI James Taylor goes missing in mysterious circumstances. James’s wife calls John in to try and find what happened to him…John is basically a recluse and socially awkward, but agrees to help as his brother going missing is a puzzle. John passes himself off as his twin to try and recover his brother’s notebook from the police station…whilst there he gets sidetracked to go to a murder, as the murder can be solved by reading all the witness statements and plotting a graph, John HAS to solve it as he can’t leave puzzles unsolved. This seems to happen each time he’s at the station looking for more clues to his brother’s whereabouts.

It’s far better than I’ve explained above. Honestly 🤗

YNWA 97

Ludwig is rubbish. Like Sir Miles, I am enjoying it. It's almost a lesson to the Bond films, which have missed that test for quite a while - to come up with something that is on the one hand quite preposterous and incredible, yet also make it highly enjoyable - the enjoyment given topspin by the very knowledge that you know it's preposterous and still find it enjoyable.

Anne Maxwell Martin lends a voice of authority to it, as if to say, you better believe this - perhaps like Bernard Lee did back in the day.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Oh, final episode of the melancholic and meandering 1977 drama Love for Lydia set in the 20s last night on Talking Pictures TV - seems I've been watching this since June or July and it hasn't been made clear how many episodes it is, so I missed the first half last night, only someone reminded me. Good stuff, but best watched in instalments - you couldn't binge watch it really on a box set, it doesn't work like that, you have to live with it for months.

Evocative, reminded me of songs in the charts at the time like Mull of Kintyre and Wuthering Heights.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,546MI6 Agent
    edited October 14

I watched the 3-part bio of Liz Taylor, one of my fav actresses. It was a bit scratchy and as usual with modern day TV profiles it omitted a ton of documented career history to concentrate on the personal scandals, some of which were interesting, most not. The third episode was devoted to her charity work towards AIDS research. Lots of family and friends contributions lent an air of authenticity. Kim Kardasian's observation that Taylor was the world's first multimedia influencer has some merit, but a profile which suggests her acting career at MGM started with National Velvet [it was Lassie Come Home] and neglects to mention she won an Academy Award for Butterfield 8 shows a lack of close attention to detail. A potted history, then, no more.

We started the new TOMB RAIDER animated show on Netflix. It's a direct sequel to the rebooted video game trilogy, so the plotting and characters have carried over. I loved the rebooted video games so this is right up my alley. Three episodes in and the wife and I are enjoying it quite a bit.

We also watched CADDO LAKE on Max. This is a one-off movie, not a series. I can recommend it but I can't go into the plotting as that'd be a major spoiler. I can't even reference what it's reminiscent to without spoiling anything. Regardless, we enjoyed it quite a bit and thought it executed its premise pretty well. It's also very well acted and directed, helping to sell the revealed premise. Go in clean if you're going to watch it.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,030MI6 Agent

MR. BATES vs THE POST OFFICE (2024)

A 4-part ITV drama based on the true story of the British Post Office hiding the fact that their new computer system was systematically falsely claiming that SubPostmasters were stealing money from the tills. Bankruptcy, mental trauma and suicide all followed as these poor people were put through the courts with the government controlled Post Office knowing that these people were innocent.

Toby Jones stars as Alan Bates one of the accused SubPostmasters who is caught up in the scandal. He starts a campaign group and it takes 20 years for some form of justice to be had.

The story is compelling, the acting is superb, it’s a lesson in how the little people are trodden into the dirt by the almighty State, but how these little people can band together and become a force for the good.

A must-see programme.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

It is a great series…the podcast is even better though…it’s a horrible, horrible story.

YNWA 97