Military Service

1151617181921ยป

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,108MI6 Agent

I think it's only fair that politicians should reflect the people who they represent. ๐Ÿ˜

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,501MI6 Agent

๐Ÿ˜‚

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,803MI6 Agent

I think Sunak has some good ideas and some pretty terrible ones. He's much like any other UK prime minister in that regard. I think he's well enough intentioned but some ideas work better on paper than they do in practice. The unworkable Rwanda scheme is definitely the worst of his ideas. As a policy it's a hugely expensive mess and a legal minefield too and it won't result in one person being deported. The problem really has to be dealt with at the source - in France where the gangs are exploiting asylum seekers and refugees. The National Service idea is about 50 years too late and even the military say conscription should only be an option in a time of real pressing national emergency. One volunteer is worth ten pressed men, as they say.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited May 31

Yes, this is true. For example in WWII an Italian volunteer would easily be worth more than ten Finnish conscripts. ๐Ÿ˜

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,803MI6 Agent
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

My impression from Norway these days is that (especially) the army is so small and needs such a small part of each year's potential conscripts that the boys and girls getting called in are more or less volunteers anyway. Other than major wars the UK hasn't really needed a large army and relied more on the navy and air force, so the same would apply to them. Conscripts are also an excellent pool to recruit professional soldiers.

• VolcanoCatVolcanoCat Posts: 12MI6 Agent

My Military service was a long time ago: much of it Territorial Army (UK), much of it largely because I needed a job and they said 'yes'. No war stories; my late Uncle Mike was with the original Parachute Regiment that went into Holland to fight an SS-Regiment, so you'll see anything I've seen and done pales by comparison. Still, I've got some scars, parachuting injuries, the odd whack to the nut with blunt objects and a slice from a blade once - walking is a b*stard and I have appalling short-term memory, hearing you'd associate with an old duffer with one of those Victorian ear trumpets... but at the risk of sounding like a 'Walt' I did some courses, learned to drive RAPIDLY and discovered a lifelong passion for Communications, even got a Ham Radio licence off the back of it. Glad to be here; but then again I'm the luckiest man alive. I've spoken - many times, to the Old Boys with chestfuls of tin, trust me, I'm delighted not to have had to earn any of them after hearing some of their stories. THEY served their country, I can make no such claim.

The weather is really strange. These photos are are of the Norwegian rangers on the border of Russia, where the red circle on the map is. You know, north of Sweden and most of Finland:

Here they are, standing guard just meters from the Russian border.

And here they are again, trying too cool off in a lake:

• PandemicPandemic Posts: 123MI6 Agent

My favourite ‘recruitment’ ad:

Meanwhile, my military service was a lot of this:

https://youtu.be/1qW8-u_ZKBQ?si=WUyOAfU33P79O63l

edited August 17

Hush! Don't tell them it's not like Top Gun 24/7 ..๐Ÿซก๐Ÿคซ๐Ÿ˜‚