Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,156MI6 Agent
    God, I hope they'll tell us who the director will be! Nolan not doing it is the biggest news we've had in ages. With Nolan out of the game (for now) and asuming Mendes won't return, the director will be someone who haven't been debated in 100+ posts. We need that.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    That's funny. First thing that popped up about Daniel Craig BAFTA 2018 is this...
    https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/everyone-noticed-the-same-thing-about-daniel-craigs-face-at-the-baftas-last-night-163721
    They are suggesting he's had some work done to his face.
    Maybe, He has looked bloated for like the last year or so. It's a bit disconcerting that it seems so noticeable to others now though. I'm sure he'll be back to his usual chiseled self by the time B25 starts shooting.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    If it's not Nolan (and I'm not convinced of that), EON's got a boatload of problems. No director, no distributor and a Purvis/Wade script with shooting to start in nine months and pre-production to start in about four months. The top cinematographers and composers are usually booked a year in advance. In a big-budget movie that will take 6-7 months to film, the director's talking to the cinematographer and the composer concerning the look and sound of the film about six months before shooting starts.
    So you assume that if it was Nolan, EON (and everyone else) would have kept quiet about it and Nolan would have booked DoP, editor, composer etc. covertly? Do I understand you correctly?
    Then why can't the same apply to other directors, such as Yann Demage or David Mackenzie?
    Why would Nolan be the only director to plan ahead?
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    So you assume that if it was Nolan, EON (and everyone else) would have kept quiet about it and Nolan would have booked DoP, editor, composer etc. covertly? Do I understand you correctly?
    Then why can't the same apply to other directors, such as Yann Demage or David Mackenzie?
    Why would Nolan be the only director to plan ahead?

Yeah, that's basically correct. I assumed (still sorta assume) that EON/MGM/Nolan made a deal last summer and that's what got Craig involved. That since then Jonathan Nolan had been working on a script with input from his brother. That Warner Brothers jumped at the opportunity to distribute a Bond film directed by Nolan and starring Craig and that Christopher Nolan told the people he usually works with to be open for filming Nov. 2018-July 2019 and pre-production starting in May 2018. Big time directors like Nolan have a crew of people who will drop or push off other opportunities in order to work with Nolan.

Yann Demange and David Mackenzie are not big time directors (although I like Hell or High Water a lot). They are basically Netflix/Indie directors.

And who is going to finance (to the tune of $250 million plus when including production and marketing) and distribute this film directed by Demange or MacKenzie from a script by Purvis/Wade?
    I guess people who's seen the box office numbers for Bond movies will finance Bond 25.
    But you bring up an interesting point. Has anyone checked the plans of the usual key technical staff favours by directors like Demage and Mackenzie?
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,752MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    Gala Brand wrote:
    If it's not Nolan (and I'm not convinced of that), EON's got a boatload of problems. No director, no distributor and a Purvis/Wade script with shooting to start in nine months and pre-production to start in about four months. The top cinematographers and composers are usually booked a year in advance. In a big-budget movie that will take 6-7 months to film, the director's talking to the cinematographer and the composer concerning the look and sound of the film about six months before shooting starts.

I wouldn't get too worried. There could be more going on and in place than we know. Hopefully we will get something by late spring. EON appears to be on strict radio silence. Could be the two films Barbara and EON have been promoting and/or fear of those Sony hacks. Time will tell.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    That's funny. First thing that popped up about Daniel Craig BAFTA 2018 is this...
    https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/everyone-noticed-the-same-thing-about-daniel-craigs-face-at-the-baftas-last-night-163721
    They are suggesting he's had some work done to his face.
    Maybe, He has looked bloated for like the last year or so. It's a bit disconcerting that it seems so noticeable to others now though. I'm sure he'll be back to his usual chiseled self by the time B25 starts shooting.

He will hit the Gym hard, no carbs, high protein all the usual. Apart from whatever has been done with his face I thought he looked fine. He needs to be careful with his upper body size and shape as the wider it is the more it shortens him. He'll pull it off I'm sure, as he has enough pride and professionalism to want his last outing to be a doozy after Spectre
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,458MI6 Agent
    I think it's safe to assume that many of the pieces are in play, director etc, I'd also reckon that pre production is underway in some respects and when we get some official announcement it will be a big one.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    A columnist for Variety has been teasing for the last few days that a big announcement is coming Tuesday (today) and he just posted a gif of Daniel Craig as Bond...

https://mobile.twitter.com/krolljvar
    Let us pray :)
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,602MI6 Agent
    They're really going at him, god forbid someone in Hollywood ages.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/5617352/james-bond-star-daniel-craig-facial-transformation/

That's not the result of ageing ...
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    So they use an unflattering still and create a non story! Typical gutter press tosh. They did the same with the Spectre announcement.
    Craig does look "bloated" (at least his face) in those pictures. Maybe a misguided attempt with Botox injections plus some weight gain.
    Craig looking a bit bit funky between Bonds seems to be par for the course. I guess the good news is that Craig will diet, work out and Botox from what I have read, wears off in about three months.
    Hmm...I went back and looked at the video clip vs the still pictures that were posted in the tabs. He does look "different" in the video (skin smoothed out, etc) but not nearly as "bloated" as the stills, which would lead me to believe the stills may have been altered to make him look bad.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Amazing double standards. If this was an actress and people were mocking their looks so relentlessly on Twitter and in “newspapers” then there would be an absolute uproar amid calls of sexism, misogyny and cries of #metoo.
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
    HowardB wrote:
    Hmm...I went back and looked at the video clip vs the still pictures that were posted in the tabs. He does look "different" in the video (skin smoothed out, etc) but not nearly as "bloated" as the stills, which would lead me to believe the stills may have been altered to make him look bad.
    Quelle surprise!
    Just what they did before
    20180220_150117.jpg
    In any event the sun states he appeared bloated and sweaty, botox prevents sweating. More like a case of a bad make up artist.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,769MI6 Agent
    I agree regarding the double standard - absolutely correct.

But the fact remains that he looks bad, and he’s running out of time to pull it together. I know many here will defend him to the death, but I am quite apprehensive of a DAF/AVTAK reprise. And it is getting more likely by the day.

You can’t fully write off the jabs regarding his recent appearance as “tabloid nonsense” since ordinary people in their pajamas started posting to Twitter in real time about how poor he looked.
    The tweet by the Variety guy turned out to not be Bond related...
    Double standard or not, Craig has a good eight months to get himself into shape....which should be more than enough. It is funny how things change as you get older. When Craig started as Bond he was naturally very lean and wiry and added weight and mass, now it's the opposite, he needs to drop some lbs and get lean. Craig also has a huge advantage over the average older guy/gal needing to get themselves in shape....he has access to the best professional trainers, nutritionists, personal chefs, gymnasiums, and the time to do it. It's not like he has to make time after eight long hours at work to drag his tired butt to the gym; getting in Bond shape is basically his job from now until shooting begins. I think Craig has too much professional pride to show up overweight and out of shape for Bond 25. As far as his facial looks are concerned, that's a bit more subjective and more of a job for the make-up, lighting and camera folks.
    HowardB wrote:
    Double standard or not, Craig has a good eight months to get himself into shape....which should be more than enough. It is funny how things change as you get older. When Craig started as Bond he was naturally very lean and wiry and added weight and mass, now it's the opposite, he needs to drop some lbs and get lean. Craig also has a huge advantage over the average older guy/gal needing to get themselves in shape....he has access to the best professional trainers, nutritionists, personal chefs, gymnasiums, and the time to do it. It's not like he has to make time after eight long hours at work to drag his tired butt to the gym; getting in Bond shape is basically his job from now until shooting begins. I think Craig has too much professional pride to show up overweight and out of shape for Bond 25. As far as his facial looks are concerned, that's a bit more subjective and more of a job for the make-up, lighting and camera folks.

I agree completely, I'd be very disappointed if this doesn't pan out. I'm more concerned about other things such as the story and script.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I thought the last few films had a great balance between action and
    story
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    For me it's just this brother thing that's concerning me story wise.
    I loved the last half hour of Skyfall in Bond's Scottish home. A mini movie
    in itself.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I loved the last half hour of Skyfall in Bond's Scottish home. A mini movie
    in itself.
    There's not much I dont enjoy in the sf action sequences, the underground chase and committee room shootout is also good.
    Even with Spectre, I found the Plane sequence in the snow. Very inventive
    and imaginative. As I bet everyone was waiting for a Ski chase. ;) ... and
    we got something completely different.
    MGM eyes Danny Boyle. Also, Annapurna distributing...

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-bond-25-danny-boyle-director-1202705314/
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,602MI6 Agent
    I'd be okay with Boyle. Directors like Boyle can make a great film, but they can't make a great action film. That was the problem that Mendes and Forster had: genuinely exciting and special action sequences. But considering how Craig is looking these days, and how tired he was after Spectre, maybe there won't be a ton of action in the next Bond film. And that's perfectly alright with me. If we can go back to the approach of the first three films where a 60-year-old Cary Grant could have handled Connery's role, we'll be alright. Craig won't be able to take on Tom Cruise in the stunts department, and I don't think they should even try.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,769MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I'd be okay with Boyle. Directors like Boyle can make a great film, but they can't make a great action film. That was the problem that Mendes and Forster had: genuinely exciting and special action sequences. But considering how Craig is looking these days, and how tired he was after Spectre, maybe there won't be a ton of action in the next Bond film. And that's perfectly alright with me. If we can go back to the approach of the first three films where a 60-year-old Cary Grant could have handled Connery's role, we'll be alright. Craig won't be able to take on Tom Cruise in the stunts department, and I don't think they should even try.

I completely agree. If they let someone like Boyle make the type of film he is good at making, it could really work. What won’t work is a stunt double doing poorly conceived action scenes.