New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,108MI6 Agent

I agree that the Bond actors don't have to be in their 30's to appeal to younger audiences. I also agree the actor has to convey maturity, something I think all the Bond actors did. But Craig's third movie was about his Bond (maybe) getting too old! This alone could be a sign a younger actor may have something to offer, especially if they continue to release the movies 4-5 years apart. Finding younger actors with that maturity is hard, but I hope Jacob Elordi has it.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,852MI6 Agent

Why is Elordi mentioned so often? What is it folks have seen him in that impressed them? I had a quick look and I don't know any of the things he's been in.

"Euphoria" is what he's best known for.

Which is a teen soap show, is that right? Like a Dawson's Creek, the OC, 90201 sort of thing. Seems an odd place to get a Bond from..?

edited April 2023

I haven't seen more than than a couple of episodes of Euphoria, but I think comparing it to 90201 is a bit like comparing Mad Men to Dynasty. Euphoria has Rotten Tomatoes score of 80% and here is a link to the awards the series has received: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Euphoria

Some use this clip to show the tension and threat Elordi can convey on screen:

Thanks for the videos; afraid I'm not really blown away though as he doesn't particularly do much there; he barely speaks. Maybe there are other better examples, but I don't really see why he keeps reappearing in the conversation. Seems pretty average.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,766MI6 Agent

He’s just the latest “decent looking relatively unknown” that people are postulating about. There’s nothing at all special about him.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,300MI6 Agent

I'm not particularly keen on Jacob Elordi, just looks too much like a pretty surf dude for me, and at 6'5" is too tall. I know the screen can hide these things but from what I've seen of him on screen, it doesn't. He looks very tall.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited April 2023

I just find it a bit baffling that his name keeps coming up: other than having black hair and being vaguely handsome, I don't see the qualities which are appealing to folks so much. People like him are ten-a-penny on US TV. I'm not a massive fan of Taylor-Johnson, but he's clearly a much better prospect to my eye- he's the right nationality, has plenty of film experience (which is pretty key, I'd say), has the look etc.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I've been watching Miss Scarlett and The Duke. Has anyone mentioned Stuart Martin as a potential Bond?

Scottish, 37years old. dark and 6'1". Most definitely has potential IMO. Looks like Hugh Jackman.

I saw the series and really liked it. I didn't think of Martin as Bond at the time, but he has the look etc. But the man is 37 and hasn't really distinguished himself yet (awards, casting by major directors), like Craig had at that age.

Apart from Layer Cake I don't think Craig was particularly known or established as a major player.

Martin fits the Eon bill I think. Experienced enough as an actor and not too well known that he won't overshadow the Bond character.

Craig was a reasonably well-known film actor, and had been made a bit of a name by Our Friends in the North, I'd say.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,300MI6 Agent

Stuart Martin isn't a bad shout @Lady Rose They could certainly do worse. I'd not heard of him, so had a look on Google images. Some pics he looks great others not so. But I guess one could say that about plenty of other names.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited April 2023

Craig wasn't a well-known actor before CR, but he seems to have been known and respected in the business. He had supporting roles in "The road to Peredition" by Mendes, "Elisabeth" and Spielberg's "Munich". As mentioned he also had some success as the lead in Layer Cake.

Maybe internationally, but he was a bit of a name in the UK in drama circles, with some big prestige TV lead roles (Sword of Honour, Arkangel, Our Friends etc.), plus he was co-lead in things like Enduring Love and The Mother in cinema.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 258MI6 Agent

I did not like Stuart Martin's performance in the Army of the Dead prequel. Ana de Armas is saying that Paul Mescal should be the new Bond. That's a good idea.

edited April 2023

He is a proper actor and I don't have anything against that idea. Interesting to hear that De Amas has advocated him though, thanks.

I guess it's really tricky for an actor like him. His career is going really well at the moment- do you take the big boost of Bond? But know that you'll have half your life for the next ten or so years consumed by it, other potentially great roles taken away, and know you'll forever be defined by it? When you may well otherwise just be known as a movie star in your own right? First world problems, obviously (would sir care for these millions, or these?), but I can see how it may be a tricky choice.

I just don't get Paul Mescal at all. He leaves me cold.

I've only seen him in Normal People though and thought that was overrated.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 596MI6 Agent

Totally agree. Binned that series very early.

Yes. Considerably!

I don't see James Bond in Mescal either. People say it's not enough to look like the traditional image of Bond to play Bond well. True. But it's not enough to be a very good actor either.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 822MI6 Agent

People forget how big OFITN was, despite its brevity. Especially coming before the atomisation of TV and media viewing. Awards, frequently in the top 10 dramas of 20th century/all time in UK polls.

Plus of course, he'd been a memorable rotter in Sharpe's Eagle with 006...you didn't get bigger than Sharpe on UK TV for a while. 😁

Still maintain not auditioning Nic Hoult would be madness.

Also if this sabbatical is going to last so long they've finished all the Slow Horses seasons before 007 reports for duty then the way Jack Lowdon held himself in Gold on the BBC was very Bondian. But still think having River Cartwright and Bond contemporaneously the same actor is too perverse. Like Smiley and Bond...though there may have been a time Oldman (or Sir Alec) would have been a great 00.

edited April 2023

I think Lowden is really good; I don't know if I quite see him as Bond, but hopefully they'll give him a try if he's up for it.

Agreed about Hoult though. He's the right type, has huge amounts of experience... you just would have him on your list.

Nicolas Hoult has been one of my favourites for years.

edited April 2023

Another good a candidate is Robert Pattinson. He looks like a young Connery here:

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,453MI6 Agent

You have to assume Pattinson will be too busy playing the Batman to be a viable candidate for Bond any time soon.

Yes, that has to be the assumption. According to the always reliable net, Nicolas Hoult was one of Pattinson's main competitors during the casting for The Batman.

edited April 2023

Nicholas Hoult is a race car driver. That should be a plus for his chances as James Bond.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,453MI6 Agent

Hoult checks a lot of boxes for me—and for my wife, who saw him a Jaguar ad and said, "Who's that?"

He can do comedy. He can do steely. That said, he does strike me as a little...pretty. (Don't get me wrong: I wish I were that pretty.) But on the other hands, he seems likely to grow more rugged with age as boyishly handsome actors tend to do.

I know he was in Fury Road, but his character was skinny and strange, and I don't have a great sense of how well he can do action. The X men movies were all ropes and CGI.

Craig made me realize how important it is that 007 be genuinely athletic and convincing as a man who could beat another man to death with his fists if necessary. I watched NTTD again recently—I'm convinced that after the shock and outrage over the ending fades the film will rise in critical esteem—and in the Havana scene Craig effortlessly swings himself up over a tall bar. Bond should make all the moves look so easy.