Movie Posters

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,233MI6 Agent

"Tora , Tora , Tora" is a very historically accurate movie. "Vikings" isn't, but at least it got the locations right.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,662Chief of Staff

"Fantastic Voyage" is my pick from those above as a movie, but all the posters are great.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,048MI6 Agent

I don’t think The Vikings is supposed to be a historically accurate movie, it’s just a darn good adventure. Fleischer also directed 10 Rillington Place, which is a historically accurate movie about real-life serial killer John Christie.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

That is a chilling film with possibly a career-best performance from Attenborough. I'm not surprised he gave up acting after deciding he couldn't top that and then went round the world looking at animals.

He found some dinosaurs in the ‘90’s, I believe.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

Can only agree with you all about 10 Rillington Place…it’s a terrific movie depicting the horrible murders carried out by Christie…great performances all round…

YNWA 97

Mummy movies…

Lovely posters. I never watched mummy movies much till a few years ago. As usual, I can't pick between Hammer and Universal since each have their charms.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,554MI6 Agent

Nice posters. The first Universal Mummy film is very good, although hardly a 'horror' film; the rest, not so much IMO.

John Carradine, father of David, Keith and Robert, starred in John Ford movies, Universal Horror movies, and countless B-movies throughout his career. Including television roles he chalks up an impressive 351 appearances!

The great John Carradine! Happily working in completely awful films one day, then in class productions the next. "House Of Dracula" is a favourite of mine.

They look like great B-movies….I’ve only heard of a couple of those 👀

YNWA 97
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,554MI6 Agent

I misread the last one and thought it said HITLER'S MADAM 😉

Christopher Lee needs no introduction - here are some of his Euro-Horrors from the 60’s/70’s…

Lovely stuff!

And lovely to see some foreign posters…👏🏻

YNWA 97

I always enjoyed a Terence Fisher movie…

Being a Hammer fan I'm very familiar with all of the above except the second last. Enticing posters!

Again, I’ve only seen a couple of those…and I was bitterly disappointed with The Devil Rides Out…not a patch on the book 🤷🏻‍♂️

YNWA 97

(Thread derailment coming. Apologies in advance.)

I agree that the book was better, but there were many parts of it that either couldn't work on film (big parts of the ending), wouldn't be acceptable (the orgy scene wouldn't have passed the censor in the 60s), or were just plain dated and clunky. Richard Matheson did a good job streamlining and subtly modernising Wheatley. I think the film is excellent, as I've probably said elsewhere. Chistopher Lee said he'd have loved to do a remake when he was in his 70s or 80s (like the Duc was intended to be) rather than in his 40s, and the SFX would have been better. That was a weak point of the film, and the Blu Ray restoration does improve on those a little within the constraints of what they had (eg the Angel Of Death scene is a definite improvement).

I think I saw the film just after I’d read the book…hence why I was so disappointed…I do think I need to see it again, I just haven’t been able to bring myself to do so 🫣

YNWA 97

The Devil Rides Out certainly deserves a reappraisal, Sir Miles.

My favourite Wheatley movie is The Lost Continent (1968) adapted from his novel Uncharted Seas, it’s a guilty pleasure as it’s routinely derided by “critics”.

I’ve been watching a few of Bela Lugosi’s “Monogram Nine” movies recently, sheer Poverty Row stuff, but Bela always delivers a decent performance.

Love those movies, hadn't seen the posters though so thanks. They're a guilty pleasure, and "Black Dragons" is batshit insane.

I’ve only seen a couple of those at best…but I’m going to have to find Black Dragons now 👀🤣

YNWA 97

Some lesser known Karloff movies…

Those look interesting films…think I’ve seen the only first one 🤔

YNWA 97

The next two are very similar. Haven't seen the last one, though

edited September 21

Edward L Cahn is not a name that springs to the lips of most film fans, but for those who love pulpy sci-fi/horror movies then he is one of the greats, with his best known film being, It! The Terror From Beyond Space which inspired Alien.

edited September 21

Great posters! Terrible movies! That's based on authentic facts!