'On His Majesty's Secret Service' by Charlie Higson (2023)

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,407MI6 Agent

Hmm, a rare dissenting view but one I'm inclined to believe... it's not available in the library (probably because of its charitable leanings) so I may commit heresy and settle down in a large London Waterstones and read it from cover to cover one afternoon.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,501MI6 Agent

The paperback is out soon. You could go to Foyles before a trip to the Prince Charles to see a Bond film.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,803MI6 Agent

The paperback is very reasonably priced at £9.99 if you want to invest in a copy. It also has a nice Q & A with Charlie Higson as an extra. Plus, all proceeds go to a literary charity so there is that too.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

£12 or so return ticket to London

£2.50 coffee to drink in viewing, £12 or so for film

£10 paperback book

So best part of £50. Not undoable I guess.

Hasn't the paperback been out since 6 June?

That said, can't settle down in my home town's mini Waterstones to read the book, unless I come in and read a chapter a day...

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Has it? I have no idea. Haven't seen it advertised. It us not in my local WH Smith. How times have changed.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,852MI6 Agent

I bought the paperback on Amazon and they delivered it to my house on Monday. Cheaper than £50.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,300MI6 Agent

Bought the paperback today on Amazon. £8.95. Looking forward to reading again.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

He enhanced the climax a little, which I appreciated.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,376Chief of Staff

You mean it's been rewritten? Damn, now I need the paperback.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,342Chief of Staff

Really? 😳

Bugger 🫣

I’m doing my best not to keep buying stuff 👀

YNWA 97
    edited July 1

Not completely, but he's made some changes, like the evening do in the castle has Bond in black tie, as he said he couldn't resist it! Also the original climax took place in a sort of nondescript place, but as he's revisited it since the coronation happened, Higson knew that it should have taken place in Westminster Abbey at the time, so he's located it there and added in a bit more excitement. It's not a massive change but I enjoyed it. There's a Q&A with Higson in the last few pages.

The typos have obviously been seen to as well, although 'cartridge' remains for those who enjoy that sort of thing 😉

I suppose I have to buy it now. Oh well, there's a Q&A to look forward to.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,803MI6 Agent

I know what you mean about trying to limit spending on Bond stuff but when it comes to literary Bond in particular I'm a real sucker. 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Must admit I bought the signed one with the 007 page printing. It was the same price as the normal paperback so why not.

Me too, and the normal paperback edition as well. You see, it's an illness.

This is true…but I’m moving soon and it’s costing a bloody fortune to pack the books up I already have 🫣

Think I’ll wait until I’ve moved to buy this, it will be cheaper that way ☺️

YNWA 97

I can imagine. Are you moving over to Canada or back to the UK, @Sir Miles?

It’s over to Canada…I’ve found a couple of good bookshops there already 🤣 although I did think about selling my collection 😳

YNWA 97

Ah, that's good. It can be tempting to sell off things. I've sold off a few Bond books over the last few years, mostly doubles. The money comes in handy sometimes.

None going cheap on eBay.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,347MI6 Agent

Was this the limited edition that Ian Fleming Publications were selling? I have that one too, as more of a collector than reader of books I usually avoid the paperbacks, but had to get this one. Interesting to know that he’s changed some aspects of the book too. I suppose it was such a mad unexpected rush to get it published in time for the Coronation that he’s had time to tinker and improve the contents.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Well, of course I bought the paperback as well. I enjoyed re-reading it- wouldn't have spotted the black tie change but the changes to the climax definitely help. The Q&A was a nice plus.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,899Chief of Staff

You're coming to my hemisphere? Welcome aboard!

Vox clamantis in deserto

I am…in about 8 weeks 🫣 everything’s moving fast now 👀

YNWA 97

I saw it at Waterstones too in a table dedicated to "Spues". I see the cover price is 9.99 and I thought 'wow that is expensive for such a wee novel.' Then I visited the poetry section and almost had a coronary. I thought prices would come down with all this recycled paper, wasn't that the clarion call ? Ah, well, sign of the times, I guess.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,300MI6 Agent

I'm still shocked at the price of a magazine these days, just a few years ago they used to be about £3.99/4.99 now many are a tenner!

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Prices always did have an inflated opinion of themselves....

🤣🤣🤣

• BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 378MI6 Agent

Does anybody think this will get a sequel?

Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.