CHB’s Comic Strip Thread

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,432Chief of Staff

Good choice, CHB - from the beginning of Bela Lugosi's career in "Dracula" we segue to the end, in this perhaps equally famous tale.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,899MI6 Agent

Yes, it will be nice to see him complete the role.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited August 20

Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer - Chapter Three (Part 2 of 2)

I love those guns and bullets sounds 😁

The concluding chapter begins next Tuesday.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,382Chief of Staff

What gun and bullet sounds? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry, concentrating on the artwork 🤭

YNWA 97

Yeah.... artwork.....

To freshen things up I have stopped the UK comic overview for now and am starting a FAMOUS FIRSTS feature from today.

Batman’s first appearance was in Detective Comics #27 which also featured Commissioner Gordon.

So, as we see, Batman also kills a villain. In total he kills 8 people before he vows not to kill anymore in Batman #4.

Batman’s origin was first told in Detective Comics #33

The origin tale was expanded in Batman #47 and again in Detective Comics #235 (and many times thereafter).

More “firsts” next Wednesday.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,042MI6 Agent

finally some comics I recognise! these two stories ought to be part of the high school curriculum

Holy classics, CHB!

I’ve seen these comics plenty of times…but never actually read one 🫣

YNWA 97

CONTENT NOTICE:

The content of this comic strip contains very strong language not permitted in the ongoing threads of this site. It also contains themes that some readers may find upsetting. Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. The content has been cleared for posting by the moderators.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH - Chapter 2 (Part 1 of 2)

Chapter 2 concludes tomorrow.

Dark, very dark.

Full dark, no stars?

Well, one star….across his face 🫤

I love this…it’s very twisted…can’t wait to see where this leads….

YNWA 97

I’m glad that you’re enjoying it, gents, and believe me, it gets better and better.

CONTENT NOTICE:

The content of this comic strip contains very strong language not permitted in the ongoing threads of this site. It also contains themes that some readers may find upsetting. Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. The content has been cleared for posting by the moderators.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH - Chapter 2 (Part 2 of 2)

Chapter 3 begins next Thursday.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, CHB, and looking forward to the next part.

I hate wishing my life away…but….hurry up Thursday 😵‍💫

YNWA 97

TRIGGER WARNING: “Live and Let Die” has always been Ian Fleming’s most controversial novel. Those easily offended are advised not to read the following adaptation.

LIVE AND LET DIE (2019) Chapter Twenty-Two (Part 2 of 2)

The final chapter appears tomorrow.

Now, isn't that a better demise for Mr Big than being blown up like a balloon? Some of Fleming's best writing, superbly illustrated.

Yes, it’s far better…more satisfying, and definitely Fleming…👏🏻

YNWA 97

TRIGGER WARNING: “Live and Let Die” has always been Ian Fleming’s most controversial novel. Those easily offended are advised not to read the following adaptation.

LIVE AND LET DIE (2019) Chapter Twenty-Three

And so ends another superb adaptation of the original novel. I would love to say that this would be starting next week…

…but although advertised it has never been published. I have had no response to two enquiries that I sent to the publishers. I can only presume that sales of LALD were not strong enough to support requisitioning the third novel to be adapted, which is a bloody pity as far as I’m concerned.

Readers of this thread may be interested to see how a comic page is compiled, so here is how it’s done…

James Bond will return next weekend, but for now I’m still undecided which comic strip I’m going with…watch this space!

Don't worry, it will be watched. That's a pity about MR, though I'm sure you will come up with something.

I thoroughly enjoyed that…really great to see the original novel depicted this way…and it is such a shame about Moonraker 😕 would have loved to have read/seen that…

Thank you again, CHB 🍸

YNWA 97

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE - (Part 2 of 5)

More next Monday…

You know, it almost seems to make sense like this. Almost.

Thanks CHB, as ever!

Why have a coherent plot intrude on this now? 👀🤣

Great fun 👏🏻

YNWA 97

Good to see you both enjoying Plan 9!

And so we come to the final chapter…

Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer - Chapter Four (Part 1 of 2)

Is this the end of Mike Hammer? The clue may be in the title, we shall see next Tuesday when it comes to the conclusion.

Dammit, another cliffhanger. Thanks CHB!

This is great entertainment 👏🏻🤣

YNWA 97

This weeks famous first is the appearance of Superman. Action #1 is the holy grail of all comic books, it introduces us to the Superman origin (expanded on in later issues) and reporter Lois Lane. The narrative would change as the story progressed, he cannot fly in this, but it’s where the faster-than-a-speeding-bullet, able-to-leap-tall-buildings-in-a-single-bound, came from. It’s widely recognised as the first superhero comic and began the Golden Age of comics (1938-1956).

And thus the legend was born. Over the years the origin would be fine-tuned into the version we know today.

Next week - Spiderman.