CHB’s Comic Strip Thread

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,432Chief of Staff

Happy memories there. My ageing brain seems to recall a panel or two where a producer/promoter gives Spidey a cheque (sorry, a check) made out to "The Amazing Spiderman" but Peter can't get it cashed. I'm probably conflating this with a different story, or perhaps it's a later version.

I don't think I ever read Golden Age Flash, first coming across him in stories where the Justice League met the Justice Society and not understanding what was going on at such a tender age, but the Silver Age version was a favourite so bring it on!

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,382Chief of Staff

Spider-Man has always been my favourite superhero…I can vividly remember getting an action-figure of him from the local markets just over 50 years ago - when did I get so old? 😱

Obviously I only got some of comics from around that time too…although all too few…it’s more the tv show I fondly remember 😁

YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,042MI6 Agent

barbel said:  My ageing brain seems to recall a panel or two where a producer/promoter gives Spidey a cheque (sorry, a check) made out to "The Amazing Spiderman" but Peter can't get it cashed.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Amazing SpiderMan 1, March 1963, same story that introduces J Jonah Jameson

Amazing Fantasy was cancelled after the issue in which SpiderMan debuted, and they immediately gave him his own title. otherwise, Amazing Fantasy had been a science fiction anthology devoted to Steve Ditko's unique type of paranoid short stories, a bit like Twilight Zone, the sort of thing Marvel was specializing in before they returned to publishing superheroes.

@Sir Miles there used to be three comic book stores in Victoria, all on the same block: Johnson Street near the Market. My favourite was Legends, they had lots of old obscure stuff and new alternative stuff. hopefully theyre still there. Good comic shops in Vancouver and Seattle as well. just in case you have any spare change left over after purchasing Victoria real estate

@caractacus potts yes, I know where Johnson Street is…will give them a visit 🙂

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,899MI6 Agent

Thanks for your input @caractacus potts it’s nice to have back up!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

CONTENT NOTICE:

The content of this comic strip contains very strong language not permitted in the ongoing threads of this site. It also contains themes that some readers may find upsetting. Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. The content has been cleared for posting by the moderators.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH - Chapter 4 (Part 1 of 2)

To be continued tomorrow…

This is the graphic novel at it's best.

edited September 5

This is getting better…and it was great to start with…

YNWA 97

I wholeheartedly agree, gents, this easily sits in my top 5 favourite comics of all time.

CONTENT NOTICE:

The content of this comic strip contains very strong language not permitted in the ongoing threads of this site. It also contains themes that some readers may find upsetting. Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. The content has been cleared for posting by the moderators.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH - Chapter 4 (Part 2 of 2)

This brilliant story continues next Thursday.

A movie or series is being planned - that’s great news!

I'm going to have to read this all again, once you've shared the whole thing, it's that good. One little thing made me laugh out loud - Daniel Clay. 🤣

Same…I’m rereading as we go…👏🏻

YNWA 97

CONTENT ADVICE: Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. 

JAMES BOND: FELIX LEITER (2017) Part 3 of 12

To be continued tomorrow…

It's good to see Felix like this. Better than some ( of the film versions.

There’s always been talk of a Leiter spinoff film…something like this could certainly work on Amazon…

YNWA 97

CONTENT ADVICE: Reader discretion is advised for those who may be easily offended. 

JAMES BOND: FELIX LEITER (2017) Part 4 of 12

It’s nice to see the ninjas back in action…more next weekend.

Everything's better with ninjas 😉

🤣 it is 🤣

YNWA 97

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE - (Part 4 of 5)

Concludes next Monday…

There's no dialogue like Ed dialogue! 😁 A nice bright start to the day.

When I was 8 in 1964 we went to see First Men in the Moon at the cinema. I was captivated by the whole thing. Dell Comics did a version of the movie.

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (Part 1 of 3)

To be continued next Tuesday…

If I recall correctly, this is an HG Wells story, isn't it? Strange he doesn't get a credit. Of course I'm looking forward to more!

You are, of course, correct, Barbel, and I did miss out this page which duly credits Mr. Wells and Nigel Kneale who wrote the screenplay which has the quite brilliant prologue and epilogue sequence.

edited September 10

Now I have to watch this as well as read the comic version. Thanks!

I remember watching this film as a kid…I always thought Lionel Jeffries gave great performances 😁

YNWA 97

FAMOUS FIRSTS - 1st Silver Age Flash

Broadly speaking the American comic history is divided into 4 parts, Golden Age (1938-1956), Silver Age (1956-1969) Bronze Age (1970-1985) and Modern Age (1985 - date), although there are other interpretations, I am sticking to this format.

The Silver Age began with the re-invention of The Flash in Showcase #4 (the Holy Grail of silver age comics). Over the ensuing years a lot of the superheroes of the golden age were given new identities and the DC world was split into Earth-One and Earth-Two. At some points both Earths would meet and the superheroes of each Earth would join forces.

This is the first appearance of Silver Age Flash, he would continue in Showcase for a few issues before headlining his own title in The Flash #105 (continuing the numbering from the original Golden Age Flash comic which had stopped at #104.

I liked the Flash adventures, along with Batman he always had a great range of supervillains to battle.

I’ve always had an affinity with the silver age of comics as I was born within the date on the splash page, and it was where I mainly concentrated my comic purchases over the years.

Next week - 1st Silver Age Penguin.

Same applies to me, of course. Please, more of this pure nostalgia which might also be entertaining younger readers.

I’d not really heard of the Flash until a few years ago…couldn’t name one of his supervillains…so this is interesting and informative 🍸

YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,042MI6 Agent
    edited September 11

coolhand wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

written Robert Kanigher, who didnt usually do superhero comics, preferring realistic manly adventures like Sgt Rock. He did write Wonder Woman for twenty years, an assignment he hated.

pencils by Carmine Infantino, DC's top artist in those years, who defined their Silver Age house style, went on to become art director for the whole line then promoted to publisher in the early 70s. Infantino is to Silver Age DC as Kirby was to Marvel, except he didnt write.

inks by Joe Kubert, another of DC's Silver Age greats, he also drew the revival of Hawkman, and a very long run of Sgt Rock

edited by Julius Schwartz, whose idea it was to revive and reinvent the Golden Age heroes. He would follow up with new, improved versions of Green Lantern, the Atom, Hawkman, and the Justice Society of America (now a League because Society sounds stuffy and oldfashioned and League sounds like something to do with sports)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SirMiles said: I’d not really heard of the Flash until a few years ago…couldn’t name one of his supervillains

here's a picture from 80 Page Giant 4 showing a bunch of them. CoolHand's right, Flash had the best rogue's gallery, along with Batman and Spiderman

barbel said: I don't think I ever read Golden Age Flash

here's a few pages from the first appearance of the original Flash, for comparison

Flash Comics 1, January 1940

cover by Sheldon Moldoff

written by Gardner Fox, who would write and create many of DC's superheros for the next couple decades

art by Harry Lampert

(note Flash Comics was an anthology like Action and Detective. the same issue also has the first appearance of Hawkman)

I like this sequence from later on in the same story where Flash saves a crowded beach from an aerial attack, catching all the bullets from the machine gun without a single person getting hurt. Otherwise, the original creators didnt really do a lot creatively with his superspeed powers. The silver age version was a lot more science-y in the use of his superpowers

the original Flash would continue til Flash Comics 104, Feb 1949, and as a member of the Justice Society til All Star Comics 57, March 1951. Superheros had gone out of fashion since the end of WWII, and genres like funny animals, zany teenagers, westerns, romance, true crime, horror, war and scifi were all more popular. It wasnt til after the introduction of the Comics Code and near collapse of the industry that DC tried reintroducing the superhero concept, and it took a couple years to catch on

the two versions of the Flash met in Flash 123, Sept 1961, the original multiverse crossover introducing the concept of Earth 1 and Earth 2. The 1940s Flash lived on Earth 2, due to Recency Bias

Thanks caractacus, I really liked that.