Controversial opinion: The Daniel Craig era sucked

2»

Comments

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 453MI6 Agent
    edited October 2

@HarryCanyon I honestly think Craig's best performance as Bond is in QoS. Furthermore, the stakes of the movie are very interesting. Greene's Tierra Project may not be the most original plot within the series (it reminds me Chinatown), it's cleverly built, and above all, the ambiguous move of the CIA with Medrano makes the strength of the story. Having a Bond film dealing with Realpolitk is something I appreciate.

Nevertheless, I deeply hate Forster's directing. It's a Bond film, not the Bourne series, and despite the chaotic writing process due to the 2007 strike, I'm absolutely sure the same "script" in the hands of someone else would have given a far better result.

I actually consider QoS as the anti NTTD. A promising plot but the disturbing feeling the global rhythm and the editing are not in favour of the typical atmosphere of glamour, elegance, luxury and fantasy I've always been in love with. It's something Fukunaga brought very well, whatever one thinks of NTTD.

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 328MI6 Agent

I don't mind Forster's directing. I appreciate the blocking of his scenes and the overall narrative flow that he brings to the non-action sequences. It's really just the really tight framing and the frenetic editing that aggravate.

Totally agreed on Craig's performance.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,886MI6 Agent
    edited October 2

I don't know if I could pick out a Craig performance as being the best, I think he's superb in all of them.

I guess my favourite version of Craig's Bond is probably Spectre as 007 is a bit more relaxed and playful in that one, but I think Craig himself is equally brilliant at all times.

I guess if I were pushed I might say CR, as he had an uphill battle and creating a version of that character who is still full of the Bond swagger and attitude whilst actually this time making mistakes and being guilty of being slightly too full of himself, and yet keeping him likeable and a character we want to win and side with - I don't think that's easy and I'm kind of still amazed he pulled it off so well.

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 328MI6 Agent

Craig definitely puts Bond through an actual character arc in CR that's pretty compelling. Then again, all five of his films give him specific arcs within each film as well as building to an overall arc for his run of films...even if that arc is kinda retconned at SP.